Antarctica Drive-By’s - Current Reports

foodsvcmgr

Finally after a two year hiatus drive-by sailings will be resuming this season on NCL, Celebrity, HAL, and Princess.

As I am booked on Celebrity in January 2024, very curious for current reports as to exactly what areas are being visited, last minute changes, issues, etc.

There has been endless discussion as to what itineraries are and are not permitted, curious to see if what is promised is actually delivered.

Thank you in advance for any of this seasons passengers who reply.

22 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

very curious for current reports as to exactly what areas are being visited

This is what the Sapphire Princess has planned:

743afb0f-0081-44b4-877hfa8.jpg
Sorry for the low image quality.

- Cape Horn to Elephant Island
- Elephant Island to Antarctica Sound
- Antarctica Sound to Admiralty Bay
- Admiralty Bay to Charlotte Bay
- Charlotte Bay to Neumayer Channel
- Neumayer Channel to Falkland

22 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

last minute changes, issues, etc.

There has been endless discussion as to what itineraries are and are not permitted, curious to see if what is promised is actually delivered.

The Sapphire has to skip Punta Arenas and do Ushuaia, Cape Horn and the Drake Passage one day earlier than planned. Because of unsafe stormy weather coming up from December 25.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

As we are on the Celebrity Infinity later this month, I've been using cruisemapper.com to track ship movements. I watched the Oosterdam and Sapphire Princess cruise around the Antarctic Peninsula areas for several days each. Currently tracking the Infinity as it is on its first foray into the area.  Its been quite busy in that area, what with some of the big ships and lots of expedition ships visiting the area. 

image.png.8b3ec4fbf1efe25af5c8f6f917b414d9.png

• Thanks 2

Thanks Drowelf, good news that the drive bys seem to be still able to visit the peninsula region.

Enjoy your cruise and please keep us updated if you have the time.

This makes me feel much more optimistic about my Eclipse sailing next January.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 3:22 PM, kewluke said:

Azamara Pursuit is planning Antarctic Sound Jan. 14,15,16, and Elephant Island Jan. 17.  Of course, all weather dependent.  

We were on the ship and I would not recommend it because the captain decided to reverse the itinerary because of Drakes passage and due to that we were unable to enjoy Antarctica for a full day. A large chunk of the passengers felt that it was a wrong decision to reverse the itineraries but what are you gonna do? I personally would not go back on Azamara for Antarctica  because I don’t think they’re built for it. 20-30’ waves are the norm and if that causes you to change itineraries then…our next trip will be on one of the expedition ships.

Another negative of this trip was going to Deception Bay which is basically a volcano caldera, nothing to see and perhaps it was because we had a beautiful morning of scenery but all that is there is a Chilean research station and that’s it. They did come on board to give us a talk and Azamara’s big contribution back to them was T-shirts and a fruit basket, kind of embarrassing actually. they should’ve sent back a couple of cases of wine and beer along with all the leftover food from the Buffet but the Cruise Director was all excited because we gave them T-shirts.
Sure, a valued gift.

7 hours ago, vtgumby said:

Azamara’s big contribution back to them was T-shirts and a fruit basket, kind of embarrassing actually. they should’ve sent back a couple of cases of wine and beer along with all the leftover food from the Buffet

Honestly, most research bases are stocked up on alcohol, because it lasts forever. Fresh produce is something they only get when a supply vessel visits, so it’s cherished and very much appreciated.

Every time I’ve visited a base, fresh fruit and veg have been our thank you gift. When we visited Arktowski, they showered us with booze because they had so much even though we were the first ship in after the winter!

4 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

Honestly, most research bases are stocked up on alcohol, because it lasts forever. Fresh produce is something they only get when a supply vessel visits, so it’s cherished and very much appreciated.

Every time I’ve visited a base, fresh fruit and veg have been our thank you gift. When we visited Arktowski, they showered us with booze because they had so much even though we were the first ship in after the winter!

They told us they were limited to one beer a day. Agreed on fresh fruit, send them more then a basket however and how about that leftover bread 🥖 ?! 😉

17 hours ago, vtgumby said:

We were on the ship and I would not recommend it because the captain decided to reverse the itinerary because of Drakes passage and due to that we were unable to enjoy Antarctica for a full day. A large chunk of the passengers felt that it was a wrong decision to reverse the itineraries but what are you gonna do? I personally would not go back on Azamara for Antarctica  because I don’t think they’re built for it. 20-30’ waves are the norm and if that causes you to change itineraries then…our next trip will be on one of the expedition ships.

Another negative of this trip was going to Deception Bay which is basically a volcano caldera, nothing to see and perhaps it was because we had a beautiful morning of scenery but all that is there is a Chilean research station and that’s it. They did come on board to give us a talk and Azamara’s big contribution back to them was T-shirts and a fruit basket, kind of embarrassing actually. they should’ve sent back a couple of cases of wine and beer along with all the leftover food from the Buffet but the Cruise Director was all excited because we gave them T-shirts.
Sure, a valued gift.

Are you sure about that?  I have been to Deception Bay and I do remember the volcano and sitting in a hot pool and also remnants of a whaling station but I do not remember a Chilean research center.  My trip was maybe 12 years ago so this may have changed.  However this is a list of the Chilean research stations from Wikipedia and it does not show Deception Bay.

DON

al List of Chilean Antarctic Bases:

Name Country Location Type
Base Presidente Eduardo Frei Montalva 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile King George Island P
Base General Bernardo O'Higgins Riquelme 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile Antarctic Peninsula P
Base Capitán Arturo Prat 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile Greenwich Island P
Base Professor Julio Escudero 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile King George Island P
Estación Polar Científica Conjunta "Glaciar Unión" 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile Union Glacier S
Base Yelcho 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile Doumer Island S
Base Doctor Guillermo Mann 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile Livingston Island S
Base Presidente Gabriel González Videla 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile Paradise Bay S
Base Carvajal 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile Adelaide Island S
Refugio Julio Ripamonti 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile Ardley Island S
Refugio Luis Risopatrón 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile Robert Island S
Refugio General Jorge Boonen Rivera 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile Duse Bay S
Refugio Collins 23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile Collins Bay S

55 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I have been to Deception Bay and I do remember the volcano and sitting in a hot pool and also remnants of a whaling station but I do not remember a Chilean research center.  My trip was maybe 12 years ago so this may have changed.

One thing that has changed is the hot pools. Around 2011 IAATO realized that digging out the beach pools was disruptive to the local environment and they changed their guidelines to discourage the practice. A lot of people still do the Polar Plunge from the beach since it’s easy to run in, but it’s much less common to find geothermal activity along the shoreline (beyond some light fog from temperature differentials).

There have been two Chilean stations on the island, and during one of the eruptions, they actually evacuated to the British base that you probably saw near the whaling station (before it was in turn destroyed by an eruption). On my last trip I met a former researcher who was at the British base when the eruption started and he showed us some old black and white photographs with some of the Chileans.

Not sure if Chile still operates any of its stations there, but Argentina still has an active site, and I believe there’s at least one more. The whaling station is located on a small inlet just inside Whaler’s Bay, which stretches much farther on, but it’s usually hidden by the hill rising behind the old air hanger. Last time I was at Deception, there was a second ship there at another landing site, and we never even saw it!

27 minutes ago, kaisatsu said:

One thing that has changed is the hot pools. Around 2011 IAATO realized that digging out the beach pools was disruptive to the local environment and they changed their guidelines to discourage the practice. A lot of people still do the Polar Plunge from the beach since it’s easy to run in, but it’s much less common to find geothermal activity along the shoreline (beyond some light fog from temperature differentials).

There have been two Chilean stations on the island, and during one of the eruptions, they actually evacuated to the British base that you probably saw near the whaling station (before it was in turn destroyed by an eruption). On my last trip I met a former researcher who was at the British base when the eruption started and he showed us some old black and white photographs with some of the Chileans.

Not sure if Chile still operates any of its stations there, but Argentina still has an active site, and I believe there’s at least one more. The whaling station is located on a small inlet just inside Whaler’s Bay, which stretches much farther on, but it’s usually hidden by the hill rising behind the old air hanger. Last time I was at Deception, there was a second ship there at another landing site, and we never even saw it!

One learns something new everyday.  Thanks.

DON

Report of a real drive by 15-29 Jan 23. NCL Star with about 2400 passengers. Across Drake to west of Snow island (not Snow hill island) then east to around south side of Deception Island then further east to tour inside of Admiralty Bay. Then 200 mi northeast to Elephant Island. Then Stanley. 

Hardly any rough waters and none of our party got seasick. Not much of Antartica but also nowhere the $8K price per person point. Stanley.thumb.jpg.9b4a2756f7f3e515caa513bd90e602ff.jpg

stream 2023.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/5/2023 at 7:09 AM, TiiiSailor said:

Researching into a cruise to Antartica for a couple years from now.  A term came up in this thread, "drive-by" sailings.  Are these cruises that don't offer any opportunities for passengers to go ashore?

The easiest way to differentiate is:

- a cruise ship does "drive-bys" with no landings. Some do go via Falkland Islands and will land there (weather dependent). 
- a small expedition ship does landings along the Antarctic peninsula, sun Antarctic islands and (if chosen) multiple landing zones in the Falklands and South Georgia Island. 

On 2/8/2023 at 10:04 AM, Nitemare said:

You can tell from size of ship, also size of the bill.

Drive bys are much less pricy than ships with landings

True, but you can easily find ships that do landings for between $5000 and $6000 per person.

51 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Easily?

I am not aware of any Name Brands you can do that with, at least not with booking in advance.

I don't think I'm allowed to mention travel agents, but there's a reputable one in Ushuaia that is currently offing $5995 for a double in late February and $5295 for a triple in mid-March. In early November, we received an offer from them for a really nice trip on a ship with less than 200 passengers that went into the Weddell Sea and the west side of the peninsula for about $5,000 pp in a double. And I just booked on another very reputable cruise website for nine days (four days in Antarctica) on Atlas Ocean Voyagers for $2,970 pp. They're still showing that rate for early March and for $5,500 next year. I thought it has to be a mistake, but it wasn't.

I agree that booking directly with the cruise company, it's hard to find those rates, although I'm seeing $6400 pp for 12 days at Hurtigruten.no for next season. It's on one of their bigger ships but still under 500 passengers, and reports, I'm reading these days on FB say they've been doing two landings or a landing and a zodiac on many days.

On 2/12/2023 at 7:31 AM, Bella0714 said:

I don't think I'm allowed to mention travel agents, but there's a reputable one in Ushuaia that is currently offing $5995 for a double in late February and $5295 for a triple in mid-March. In early November, we received an offer from them for a really nice trip on a ship with less than 200 passengers that went into the Weddell Sea and the west side of the peninsula for about $5,000 pp in a double. And I just booked on another very reputable cruise website for nine days (four days in Antarctica) on Atlas Ocean Voyagers for $2,970 pp. They're still showing that rate for early March and for $5,500 next year. I thought it has to be a mistake, but it wasn't.

I agree that booking directly with the cruise company, it's hard to find those rates, although I'm seeing $6400 pp for 12 days at Hurtigruten.no for next season. It's on one of their bigger ships but still under 500 passengers, and reports, I'm reading these days on FB say they've been doing two landings or a landing and a zodiac on many days.

I consider booking now for this month or next month to not be 'booking in advance'.   There are certainly last minute offers in that range, but most folks (or at least most folks like me) need a few months to plan a trip of this magnitude, especially the flights

Edited by Nitemare
  • Like 2