Steakhouse or Chef's table?

ABQrobin

We are going on the Dream in Feb and thinking of booking either the Steakhouse or Chef's Table.  We have done the steakhouse twice before and enjoyed it.  Does anyone have the latest Chef's table menu?  I have seen it years ago and thought it sounded interesting but... for $99 I want to be blown away.

thanks

1 hour ago, ABQrobin said:

We are going on the Dream in Feb and thinking of booking either the Steakhouse or Chef's Table.  We have done the steakhouse twice before and enjoyed it.  Does anyone have the latest Chef's table menu?  I have seen it years ago and thought it sounded interesting but... for $99 I want to be blown away.

thanks

It can vary between ships/chefs.  I have one from the Spirit a few weeks ago I'll see if I can dig up.

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Steakhouse = solo

Chef Table = seated with others, always a crap shoot of being seated with folks who you find obnoxiously opinionated

Never had that problem.  You aren't forced to socialize with your tablemates.  In fact, besides the person you're there with, you're only really in speaking distance to one other person.  None if you're on the end of the row.

Edited by CajunOyster
  • Like 1

I viewed the chefs table like an on ship excursion.  You are there for about 2-3 hours with wine included and a tour of the galley.  On the Dream, you will be eating in the galley instead of a private dining room.

• Like 1

They are two different experiences. The Chef's Table is a long extravagant experience with a set menu so everyone gets the same items (yes, they'll accommodate allergies of course). There's nothing else like it on board, the food is prepared in a more upscale, professional manner. For comparison the MDR is more like banquet food in a large hotel and Chef's Table is closer to a five star restaurant. It's NOT a five star restaurant but it's closer. I've done the Chef's Table several times now and between the two I'd take the Chef's Table every time. The menu rarely changes much on each ship, though each ship might have variations between each other, so try looking up the menu or experience for your particular ship on YT and you'll have a pretty good idea of what's there.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Steakhouse = solo

Chef Table = seated with others, always a crap shoot of being seated with folks who you find obnoxiously opinionated

Yep - one of the factors which steers us away from the CT is the random tablemate factor. We've enjoyed the CT several times, and had a couple that were awkward. At home we rarely eat out, whereas on a cruise it's pretty much specialty dining every night - at a private table, hopefully not 18" from the next table/bench seating situation! I don't care to make small talk with strangers at dinner - but that's just us!

Tom

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2022 at 6:06 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Yep - one of the factors which steers us away from the CT is the random tablemate factor. We've enjoyed the CT several times, and had a couple that were awkward. At home we rarely eat out, whereas on a cruise it's pretty much specialty dining every night - at a private table, hopefully not 18" from the next table/bench seating situation! I don't care to make small talk with strangers at dinner - but that's just us!

Tom

Thanks everybody!  I think we may pass on the Chef's Table this time.  We are both very adventurous eaters but I just don't like to sit there for 90 minutes chit chatting with strangers.

Yes, we have had that MDR shared table awkward dinner quite a few times.  It can really ruin the experience when the couple next to you keep complaining about everything. 

Just this past cruise we had a couple at the next table, 6" way, so much for a private table... LOL   The wife hated all food except about 3 things so she picked at her food and complained on each course, then her husband would grab her plate and scrape it all onto his and gobble it all down.  It was not appetizing.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Thanks everybody!  I think we may pass on the Chef's Table this time.  We are both very adventurous eaters but I just don't like to sit there for 90 minutes chit chatting with strangers.

Yes, we have had that MDR shared table awkward dinner quite a few times.  It can really ruin the experience when the couple next to you keep complaining about everything. 

Just this past cruise we had a couple at the next table, 6" way, so much for a private table... LOL   The wife hated all food except about 3 things so she picked at her food and complained on each course, then her husband would grab her plate and scrape it all onto his and gobble it all down.  It was not appetizing.  

Another thing to think about.. People that do Chef's Table are more often than not to be engaged with the process and the fun of the spectacle and not your typical MDR shared table people next to you.

My DH says I can talk to a chair.  Maybe so, but in the right environment like Chef's Table, you could be next to a fun friend who makes this the best night ever! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

There's no reason you have to chit chat with anyone at all.  The table is huge - it's not your normal MDR table.

• 2 weeks later...

We will always choose the CT over the steakhouse!  We were very disappointed with the steakhouse on our sailing on the Dream last February, but it might be that we are from Texas and are used to really great steaks.  If available, we choose the CT every cruise because we enjoy the atmosphere, food, and company very much - but have also learned to pace ourselves.  LOL!  

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 5:53 PM, kona_wahine said:

I’ve always been afraid to try the chefs table because the food looks a little “exotic”? I’m more of a meats and potatoes kinda girl. 

A friend of mine said she wanted to try it out on our next cruise, so we went ahead and booked it. She's an incredibly picky eater, and I hate salmon (which seems to show up on the Chef's Table menu a lot), but we both said "well it will be an experience!" and agreed we can do a late night pizza run or make sure we have something from the buffet waiting in the room fridge if we end up hating the CT menu. 

Open minds, but prayers we don't get something we won't eat or don't like, lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mic101680 said:

A friend of mine said she wanted to try it out on our next cruise, so we went ahead and booked it. She's an incredibly picky eater, and I hate salmon (which seems to show up on the Chef's Table menu a lot), but we both said "well it will be an experience!" and agreed we can do a late night pizza run or make sure we have something from the buffet waiting in the room fridge if we end up hating the CT menu. 

Open minds, but prayers we don't get something we won't eat or don't like, lol

Honestly even if you’re a picky eater I would try at least one bite of everything they put in front of you. You will probably be surprised how much you like gourmet food that’s been well prepared. And if you try something but it isn’t your favorite, they don’t care if you clean your plate, you can just leave it uneaten. 

I’ve done Chef’s Table like 12 times now, my opinion is if you leave that dinner feeling like you need to go get a pizza, then you’re doing the Chef’s Table wrong. Be open minded, try EVERYTHING, and I guarantee you will be stuffed by the end of it. 

Also, re: your concerns about salmon - There is generally a fish course but from my experience it’s always a white fish like sea bass. One of the menus I had recently did have a tiny piece of salmon (literally about the size of your finger) as a “side” for one of the dishes, but it was easily avoided if you don’t like salmon. I’ve never had salmon as the main dish for any course at Chef’s Table.

• Like 4