Viking and New Zealand

eddieg07410

My wife received a message in another site that three ports have been cut off limits to the Orion because of a dirty hull. We are on the mid February cruise of New Zealand and Australia and was wondering if this issue is likely to be cleaned up before we set sail. The ports that we would miss are very important to us.

There are multiple ships affected. Hopefully it is just a one-off for Viking, but every trip involves some risk. 

A related story ... Cruise ship too dirty for Milford Sound after sea snails found | Stuff.co.nz

Also, from the 'live from Orion' thread. 

katlew

• May 11, 2018
  • Minneapolis, MN

Well, I was going to tell you about holiday activities on board, but the cruise has taken a bit of a turn. New Zealand authorities found snails on our haul & say they have to be removed, but no one in the area can do it. So, we are at sea tomorrow, going to Wellington on the 26th, and then will have 4 days at sea missing Christchurch, Dunedin, and Hobart. We will instead sail to Adelaide, Australia, which wasn’t on the itinerary, and spend two days there. We are getting our tour money back and a voucher worth 50% of our cruise fare. We are rolling with the punches as I read one Princess cruise just went through the same thing & was told another one just got the same news! Yeah, we are bummed to miss done ports, but we aren’t in a blizzard, someone cleans my room everyday and brings me drinks.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Little Monty said:

There are multiple ships affected. Hopefully it is just a one-off for Viking, but every trip involves some risk. 

A related story ... Cruise ship too dirty for Milford Sound after sea snails found | Stuff.co.nz

Also, from the 'live from Orion' thread. 

katlew

•  
  • May 11, 2018
  • Minneapolis, MN

Well, I was going to tell you about holiday activities on board, but the cruise has taken a bit of a turn. New Zealand authorities found snails on our haul & say they have to be removed, but no one in the area can do it. So, we are at sea tomorrow, going to Wellington on the 26th, and then will have 4 days at sea missing Christchurch, Dunedin, and Hobart. We will instead sail to Adelaide, Australia, which wasn’t on the itinerary, and spend two days there. We are getting our tour money back and a voucher worth 50% of our cruise fare. We are rolling with the punches as I read one Princess cruise just went through the same thing & was told another one just got the same news! Yeah, we are bummed to miss done ports, but we aren’t in a blizzard, someone cleans my room everyday and brings me drinks.

Who.cares if someone is cleaning my room. I would be upset be cause I go for the ports.

30 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Who.cares if someone is cleaning my room. I would be upset be cause I go for the ports.

Mate, I'm not sure who you are or why you are replying to me - I was trying to be helpful to the person who asked the question. If you disagree with what they had to say, tell them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

The hull is being cleaned in Adelaide SA this weekend. @The Other Tom - it's legit. 

Thanks.

from the article linked above:

"Ships being turned away for dirty hulls was not uncommon, he said. About 6% of international ships had been told to clean their hulls before entering the country since January 2020."

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

And Viking just had the same problem - turned away in Australia due to hull biofoul. Divers sent down to clean the hull which certainly should have been checked before the cruise due to strict rules in Australia/New Zealand.

I suspect Australia only rejected them because NZ had raised attention to it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CarolynCBJWB67 said:

Was the Orion's first cruise in the Australia/New Zealand itinerary? Just wondering, because if it isn't then the snails were picked up in the region to begin with. 

It had sailed from Sydney to Auckland before this trip.

11 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

And Viking just had the same problem - turned away in Australia due to hull biofoul. Divers sent down to clean the hull which certainly should have been checked before the cruise due to strict rules in Australia/New Zealand.

We weren’t really turned away from Australia. The only divers available to clean the hull the week between Christmas & New Year were in Adelaide on New Years Eve. We were going to have the cleaning done in port in Adelaide, but Australia said it had to be done off-shore. So, it wasn’t so much you can’t come in with that as you can’t clean it off here. We were told by the General Manager that the boat had been checked & cleaned on the two previous cruises.

Regent also just got told they can’t come into NZ & has to clean off-shore in Adelaide. They will have something like 10 sea days! And Azamara had a boat leaving today that will spend the first two days getting cleaned instead of their planned schedule. NZ is cracking down!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CarolynCBJWB67 said:

Was the Orion's first cruise in the Australia/New Zealand itinerary? Just wondering, because if it isn't then the snails were picked up in the region to begin with. 

Sorry, hull fouling doesn't happen over a few days, it will have been accumulating since the ship was floated out, or a previous hull cleaning.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lonedaddy said:

Why is the Viking mars still in Auckland it was to dppart Jan 10th?

Passengers would have boarded yesterday - Day 1 but the cruise does not leave Auckland until Day 2.

It's late morning now NZ time. Assume they will depart late afternoon. Hopefully all is well.

24 minutes ago, harbourside said:

Viking Mars spends 2 days in Auckland .  Sails tonight.   Arrived 10th Jan, sails 11th Jan.

It arrived on 9th. As I'm going on Mars in May I keep a track on panomax. Clearly then cruise mapper has the incorrect itinerary. 

10 minutes ago, Little Monty said:

From the Viking Aust website ... 

CRUISE DETAILS

Viking Mars
TRAVEL DATES

Jan 10 - Jan 24, 2023

Itinerary 

Viking Mars 

It's similar to the timing in our cruise. Starts in Mumbai but the previous cruise has one night in Mumbai, the next morning they disembark and we board, and then we spend the night in Mumbai port. . 

Previous cruise arrived on 9th. They have an overnight. And disembark on 10th. On 10th the new travellers board. And stay overnight which was last night. They leave port tonight, 11th. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

True. It's 11th here now. Hope all ok. 

I read there is some bad weather on the North Island & at least one other cruise line had to make & unscheduled port stop. Maybe it is something similar?