Sharing a table in MDR

Iriel

Hi! I'm still kind of a newbie with cruises. We chose late dining and I was wondering if sharing the table with other cruisers is mandatory? My parents don't speak English, so I feel like it would be uncomfortable sharing a table with people they can't understand. Is there something I can do about this?

1 minute ago, Iriel said:

Hi! I'm still kind of a newbie with cruises. We chose late dining and I was wondering if sharing the table with other cruisers is mandatory? My parents don't speak English, so I feel like it would be uncomfortable sharing a table with people they can't understand. Is there something I can do about this?

Not mandatory, let them know the first night and you'll bbe fine thereafter.  I was recently on Edge solo and had my own table every night

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Not mandatory, let them know the first night and you'll bbe fine thereafter.  I was recently on Edge solo and had my own table every night

That's great! Thank you so much for your reply 😊

It´s always possible to sit by yourself or with only your own family. Wheras I loved to share - when sailing solo- a table with at least 6 or even 8 passengers, nowadays I prefer my own company. I met wonderful people around the dinner table- some of them got friends - close friends to this very day- but I also had the weirdos...!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bru92 said:

Often those who speak a different language will be seated with others speaking their language if any are onboard and the Maitr'd is aware.

That would be amazing, since my parents love meeting new people. Since the cruise departs from our home country Argentina, I expect there will be other Spanish speaking people. I'll talk with the Maitr'd.

Thank you all!! 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 8:55 PM, Germancruiser said:

It´s always possible to sit by yourself or with only your own family. Wheras I loved to share - when sailing solo- a table with at least 6 or even 8 passengers, nowadays I prefer my own company. I met wonderful people around the dinner table- some of them got friends - close friends to this very day- but I also had the weirdos...!

Interesting! I did not know that it was still possible, as a couple, to arrange to sit with other passengers we do not know. We are not frequent cruisers and thought this mix-and-match arrangement was no longer available. I agree with you that it's a hit or miss opportunity, either find new friends or awkward conversations. We are booked on the Apex where Anytime Dining is the norm and we're only about 2 weeks to sailing and I cannot decide what is best to do for me and the hubby as neither of us a big extroverts...and yet we enjoy good conversations with new people. 🤨 Any further advice?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dreamer68 said:

Interesting! I did not know that it was still possible, as a couple, to arrange to sit with other passengers we do not know. We are not frequent cruisers and thought this mix-and-match arrangement was no longer available. I agree with you that it's a hit or miss opportunity, either find new friends or awkward conversations. We are booked on the Apex where Anytime Dining is the norm and we're only about 2 weeks to sailing and I cannot decide what is best to do for me and the hubby as neither of us a big extroverts...and yet we enjoy good conversations with new people. 🤨 Any further advice?

We always share as for us it's one of the joys of cruising. We prefer tables of 6. We also prebook every night for  6.30 pm as we prefer to go to the theatre at 9.0 pm. Generally it works out very well but if you really do have an issue with a particular passenger as you leave have a quiet word with the Hostess at the desk and ask not to be seated with them again. You will find them very helpful particularly if you are prepared to share what particular issue you had.

• Thanks 1

@dreamer68- I would try both - on board Apex ( I sailed the very ship at her maiden voyage) I sat only with my travel companions - on purpose. There are four MDR´s - to choose from- we tried each and every one of them. Loved all- nice new concept. You can go one day with only the two of you. The other day you can just ask to share a table. I am sure that works- so you have a little bit of everything.

Apex is a stunning ship- a totaly new X- experience. The " Ahhhh" factor is big on Apex.

After all- and the Maiden Voyage on board Apex was a wonderful experience- I like the old ships more- esp. the Millenium Class of ships.

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

We always share as for us it's one of the joys of cruising. We prefer tables of 6. We also prebook every night for  6.30 pm as we prefer to go to the theatre at 9.0 pm. Generally it works out very well but if you really do have an issue with a particular passenger as you leave have a quiet word with the Hostess at the desk and ask not to be seated with them again. You will find them very helpful particularly if you are prepared to share what particular issue you had.

Thanks!! How would this work then with advance booking on the app for Anytime Dining? Do I pick a time, add the 2 of us, and then go to the specific MDR restaurant the first night or every night (as I hope to try all 4 MDR restaurants) sometime during the day and request to be seated with others?

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

@dreamer68- I would try both - on board Apex ( I sailed the very ship at her maiden voyage) I sat only with my travel companions - on purpose. There are four MDR´s - to choose from- we tried each and every one of them. Loved all- nice new concept. You can go one day with only the two of you. The other day you can just ask to share a table. I am sure that works- so you have a little bit of everything.

Apex is a stunning ship- a totaly new X- experience. The " Ahhhh" factor is big on Apex.

After all- and the Maiden Voyage on board Apex was a wonderful experience- I like the old ships more- esp. the Millenium Class of ships.

I am VERY much looking forward to seeing the Apex. I've watched lots of YouTube videos of walkthroughs. It really looks like a stunning ship. How lucky to be on her maiden voyage!!

I think we might do what you recommend, go some days just the 2 of us, and others request to share. The thing is, should I reserve on the app or just do reservations daily around lunch time for dinner and specify table for 2 or 6?  The app requires we name who we want to sit with but this time, we are not traveling with any friends or kids.... thanks for any guidance. 🙂 

• Like 1

It's also possible to be seated with people from the same country. The Maitre d' arranged that by himself during my Greek Islands cruise on Reflection. We were seated on the formal night with a family from Costa Rica. It was a nice surprise and we became friends after it.

Edited by Pipo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

Thanks!! How would this work then with advance booking on the app for Anytime Dining? Do I pick a time, add the 2 of us, and then go to the specific MDR restaurant the first night or every night (as I hope to try all 4 MDR restaurants) sometime during the day and request to be seated with others?

We pick a time and book the same for every day - has to be done a day at a time which is a pain. On arrival at the Host Desk we give our cabin number and say " sharing please table for 6 if possible". We always include the "please" after night one the Host usually greets us with " sharing as usual?". Sorry haven't cruised an E class so I don't know how choosing the 4 dining rooms is handled. I assume it's only the decor that changes and not the menu but that maybe wrong. Enjoy.

@Dreamer68 - We did not reserve at all- we just showed up- and asked for a table - there was plenty of room in all four dinning options.

I am hard pressed to say which of the Dinning Rooms was our favorite- a slight tendency to the Normandy Restaurant- maybe...!

We wanted to try and see all the four options so we mixed them on those 7 days.

This cruise was really reamarkable- right after Covid- still tested before boarding was allowed. Then entering a brand new ship. Senior members of the staff all standing in the Entry and cheering and applauding us. Goose bump moment- and very very moving- indeed.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 5:43 PM, Iriel said:

I was wondering if sharing the table with other cruisers is mandatory? 

No. You can be sat with just your party, or request a table with others. The choice is entirely yours. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 11:03 PM, Iriel said:

That would be amazing, since my parents love meeting new people. Since the cruise departs from our home country Argentina, I expect there will be other Spanish speaking people. I'll talk with the Maitr'd.

Thank you all!! 

buen viaje

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikeysed said:

Is Domy Valdes still in charge of seating arrangements. You can likely email her ahead of time. I did this pre covid. I don't know if she still is?

That would be nice. Is she on Infinity or how does the arragements work?

21 minutes ago, mikeysed said:

She does it for RCCL and Celebrity. She is corporate and in charge of MDR seating.

That's interesting. If you happen to have her email, I'll give it a try.