Disney Cruise

felton183

We are planning a Disney Cruise on the Wish in Nov 2023 but the reviews aren't great.  We are 4 adults and 2 kids, 16 and 9.  It sounds like the ship is kind of choped up in the adult areas being small.  We haven't made reservations yet and we just want to get the best ship for all of us.

30 minutes ago, felton183 said:

We are planning a Disney Cruise on the Wish in Nov 2023 but the reviews aren't great.  We are 4 adults and 2 kids, 16 and 9.  It sounds like the ship is kind of choped up in the adult areas being small.  We haven't made reservations yet and we just want to get the best ship for all of us.

Have you also looked at a crewed yacht charter? It’s not as expensive as you may think and, not unlike the cruise industry, there are different segment qualities to fit most budgets. 
With 6 of you, one choice possibility could be a 60’ catamaran. And you would be able to develop an itinerary beforehand, along with menus, activities, etc.

IMO, it’s worth contacting a well respected yacht broker who handles these charters. In the past, we’ve used Ed Hamilton & Co. First class operation that will not disappoint you. Google them for starters 

I think the bad reviews you are reading are mostly from DCL fans who are disappointed it is so different from the other 4 ships.  

We've been on board twice now and really enjoy the Wish.  Such a beautiful ship.  

17 hours ago, felton183 said:

Have you cruised Disney previously? If this is your first time, then you will enjoy it. I'll admit, I'm one of those frequent cruisers that were disappointed comparing the Wish to the other four ships, but that's not to say you won't have a great time on the Wish. It is still a beautiful ship. The kids's club is fantastic and the MDRs were incredible. And since you are travelling with children, I wouldn't worry so much about the adult areas. 

I would have to echo the comments from other cruises who have sailed on the Wish. I just did the 4 nite Merrytime cruise-Dec 12-15, and we had an AMAZING time. We have only sailed on Magic and Wonder many years ago, so I can't comment on the Fantasy or Dream and how the Wish stacks up against those ships, but we thought the ship was fantastic and fun. Yes, the ship is choppy at some points, and certain decks do not go around or all the way through, but those things do not ruin or spoil our cruise.

To some, yes those kinds of things will break their entire cruise(unfortunate that people get upset at the slightest things, but everyone is different for sure). If we have to go up/down 1 or 2 floors to get from one end to another, so be it, again for us we dont focus on those types of things, that's the way the ship is designed and it's not going to change because someone doesn't like it. 

Adult area is not huge, but what is it being compared too? There is adequate space, as it's situated on the back end of the ship. Again, if you go out at peak times to find a chair, then yes it's going to be full, just have to plan accordingly like on any other cruise line. 

It's VERY Disney, as it SHOULD be!. Characters are always around and taking pictures, and we thought that is very well done. NEW dining rooms are very creative and offer totally different experiences then 

any of the other ships. 

We would definitely sail again on a Disney cruise and looking forward to the Disney Treasure coming out in 2024, and finally going on the Dream and Fantasy at some point too. 

If you have any specific questions, I will do my best to answer....

I have been on all five of the Disney ships. It is true that the Wish is different from the other 4 but none the less it is a beautiful ship. Lots of Marvel and Star Wars. I'm 75 years old and prefer classic Disney Characters. The dinning is amazing and the shows were excellent.  Lots of kid areas. Adult areas are scattered throughout the ship. Even if Marvel and Star Wars don't appeal to you, the ship is really something special. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 3:47 PM, felton183 said:

If it's all about the 9 year old, then Wish is fine.  The kids areas and the entertainment is certainly geared towards the kids.  The adults won't be as impressed, in my opinion, as they would on the other Disney ships.

Dining is certainly unique in the theming, but the layout is less than ideal where you feel like you're sitting on top of other tables, the servers have a difficult time getting around everyone and some of the seating has obstructed views of the dinner shows.

Adult entertainment isn't as robust as it is on the other ships and the things that are offered are in venues that aren't built to handle the crowds that show up.

Adult pool area is suboptimal.  Personally, I like to hang out in a pool with no kids, with an adult beverage and read a book in more than 18" of water.  That option doesn't exist on Wish.

I've been on 31 Disney cruises, all 5 ships multiple times including the Wish, twice.

I'm not going to speak negatively about the Wish, I have not been on it yet. But for the price I would much rather spend it on the Fantasy for example with a much better itinerary and for at least 7 nights for about the same money as the Wish. The Wish is the shiny new toy and is so expensive right now because of that. Maybe I'm biased because I love the Fantasy. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 8:03 AM, lastchamp64 said:

I'm not going to speak negatively about the Wish, I have not been on it yet. But for the price I would much rather spend it on the Fantasy for example with a much better itinerary and for at least 7 nights for about the same money as the Wish. The Wish is the shiny new toy and is so expensive right now because of that. Maybe I'm biased because I love the Fantasy. 

It's sometimes really hard to separate the on-board experience when considering different itineraries.  I'd certainly agree that 7-night cruises are more to our liking than 3- or 4-night cruises.  But that's independent on the ship itself.  

12 hours ago, jalves said:

It's sometimes really hard to separate the on-board experience when considering different itineraries.  I'd certainly agree that 7-night cruises are more to our liking than 3- or 4-night cruises.  But that's independent on the ship itself.  

Fair enough, and point well taken. I'll rephrase it and say that from what I have seen of the Wish, it would not interest me to spend the extra money on the Wish if I were to spend 7 nights out on the open sea on say the Fantasy over 4 days (or even 7) on the open sea on the Wish, itineraries removed.  Again, I'm not criticizing the Wish, I'm sure it is a very nice ship. I'm sure there are those on here that would say they hate the Dream & Fantasy (Both which I love).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everybody replying to my questions.  The more we4 thought about it the Disney cruise is great I'm sure but we decided to go on 7 nite Wonder of the Seas and the 9 year old is very excited for all the pools and the longer vacation.  We will get her a princess dress for formal nite, send her to the spa to get dolled up and she will be happy.  Can't wait for our family vacation with the grandchildren.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dave Judy said:

We have been on 11 Disney cruises- only one on the Dream, the other ten have been on the Magic and the Wonder - all for seven nights or longer.  You will have an amazing time on the Wonder. Enjoy!

They said they're going on the Wonder OF THE SEAS.  Different ship.