Encore Feb 19 Itinerary and Entertainment changes

Cruisemommy87

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I'm not sure GSC can handle two of NCL's largest ships.  My point is that if they're going to choose between a new ship or an older ship to get the private island they're going to pick the new ship. 

Royal can dock two ships next door at CoCo Cay, but that island is now much more developed than GSC is and people can be more spread out.  Back when it was a tender destination and basically a beach day I'm not sure if they had more than one ship there at a time.

Seems the problem is why would NCL schedule two large ships there the same day when they can't handle it and they know they have to cancel one. I really like the Encore and just spent three more weeks on it for the Panama Canal cruise. I have a granddaughter in New Jersey that will be going on it January 22 and have already sent her on email to make her aware they may change GSC to Nassua.

• Like 1

IMO this change has more to do with Puerto Plata than GSC. They want to lock in Nassau in case they have to miss PP like has been happening. They don’t want a cruise with only 2 stops. GSC has to be the first or last day of the cruise because of the distance to get South. 

As far as the production shows NCL was getting rid of them before Covid, I’m not surprised that they have cancelled them. 

That doesn’t help any of the posters but I can’t imagine booking a cruise based on a 45 minute entertainment option. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, zqvol said:

IMO this change has more to do with Puerto Plata than GSC. They want to lock in Nassau in case they have to miss PP like has been happening. They don’t want a cruise with only 2 stops. GSC has to be the first or last day of the cruise because of the distance to get South. 

As far as the production shows NCL was getting rid of them before Covid, I’m not surprised that they have cancelled them. 

That doesn’t help any of the posters but I can’t imagine booking a cruise based on a 45 minute entertainment option. 

Lol. Yea true. I most definitely did not book because of Kinky Boots. Especially being from New York lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Interesting hypothesis.  I don’t think anybody booked just for 1 single reason - GSC or kinky boots.  I do know several of the people in my party were really looking forward to seeing it.  

When is enough for even the most patient/tolerant/easy going cruiser to say enough!?  I paid for an advertised cruise experience and I’m not getting what I paid for!  

Think of your favorite thing and imagine it canceled for no reason.  Close Cagneys, Starbucks no longer on ship, close the spa, The Local’s menu cut in half, pools drained, main entertainment cancelled (actually happened), raised service fees (actually happened), cancelled private island experience (actually happened). When’s enough, enough?

Hey, that’s cruising’!  When can I book my next cruise?  

Seriously?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I am sympathetic.

Had a repo Bliss from LAX to YVR. Was supposed to go to Ensenada, San Diego and San Francisco. They replaced Ensenada Mexico, with Victoria Canada (where I work/part time live...). San Diego was cancelled.

Then to make matters worse it didn't actually manage to dock in Victoria.

All the shows were cancelled as the cast had COVID, including Beatles.

BUT, it was a great time! Hopefully you enjoy yours still.

Edited by BrianLo

10 hours ago, CB_Jackson said:

Thanks for your comment Laszlo.  If you read the comments above this has already been said by me and many others.  We are at their mercy.  Various reasons are understandable.  The issue here is that NCL has sold cruises to thousands with GSC on the trip, only to cancel GSC for no reason.  Again, we all know they can do this according to the fine print.  The best guess as to why they’re doing it is to prioritized for their newer ship booked on GSC for the same day.  I don’t know how true this is, it’s just something others have brought up?  I raised the question, couldn’t they reschedule the date for GSC so we weren’t there on the same day?  Of course it is more complex than it seems, as there are other ships from other cruise lines moving throughout the various ports and logistically it doesn’t always work out.  The think I find interesting is it seems like all sailings have had GSC simply cancelled for no reason and none of them have been rescheduled to a different day.  

Unfortunately it happens, the truth is you don't know why they canceled GSC. Believe me it has happened to a number of cruises my wife and I have been on. We leave on January 8th on a 12 day cruise and last week we were notified of changes. We don't like it but it is what it is. The biggest load of crap is the change is due to them reducing their carbon footprint LOL

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 7.02.26 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Niffernay said:

@Vegasgreg19 - we are on that sailing as well. You haven't heard anything about replacing GSC with Nassau have you?  This will be our fourth time that GSC has been on our itinerary and we haven't made it the first three (due to rough seas).  I'd like to actually visit the island 😆

No, haven't actually received word that we will skip it, but it will not surprise me if we did. And don't hold your breath for DR as that will probably be skipped as well.

1 minute ago, Vegasgreg19 said:

No, haven't actually received word that we will skip it, but it will not surprise me if we did. And don't hold your breath for DR as that will probably be skipped as well.

I'm ok with skipping ports, it would just be nice to actually visit GSC one of these times 😆

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, zqvol said:

Thank you for your perspective on DR being the possible reason for the change. I didn’t think of this option before as they kept that as our day 1. Of course, DR was the port we felt we could take or leave when we chose to book. Too bad they couldn’t have just swapped that for Nassau and kept GSC.  If changing ports is going to become common pre-cruise behavior, they might as well just have you book cruises for dates only and then “surprise” you with your itinerary lol!

• Haha 3

Ahhh, this brings back memories of the good old, short, cruise-to-nowhere (CTN) with a twist, making a comeback!   "Genius" concept and NCL can charge a lot more plus port fees, etc. That's it 😆😆😆  ... cruise with a sense of humor & adventure and be surprised 🙀.  Afterall, it's covered by the cruise contract terms.

And, cruiselines including NCL wanted their ships to the destinations booked and we spent nearly every vacation dollars with them onboard.  This is a clever scheme to sell a premium holiday cruise to exotic locations and then ... oops, and you can't cancel and it's all non-refundable.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, CB_Jackson said:

Interesting hypothesis.  I don’t think anybody booked just for 1 single reason - GSC or kinky boots.  I do know several of the people in my party were really looking forward to seeing it.  

When is enough for even the most patient/tolerant/easy going cruiser to say enough!?  I paid for an advertised cruise experience and I’m not getting what I paid for!  

Think of your favorite thing and imagine it canceled for no reason.  Close Cagneys, Starbucks no longer on ship, close the spa, The Local’s menu cut in half, pools drained, main entertainment cancelled (actually happened), raised service fees (actually happened), cancelled private island experience (actually happened). When’s enough, enough?

Hey, that’s cruising’!  When can I book my next cruise?  

Seriously?

Entertainment is canceled frequently, GSC skipped frequently, DSC goes up every year, heck Bermuda cruises end up in Canada every year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Last time jet skiing for 7, the previous cruise we rented a cabana but GSC was skipped.

That makes sense.  I have toyed with the idea of renting a villa, but decided I would prefer to spend my day in or near the water.  If I want air-conditioned comfort, I'll just head back to the ship.  😎

Jet skiing looks like fun but, at my age/condition, I would likely just hurt myself (or others).  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, CB_Jackson said:

As far as calling us crazy to book a cruise based on its’ ports, go ahead and call me crazy as I thought most of planet earth selects their cruise based on ship and ports!

Generally true, but my first choice (Alaska cruises) has little to do with ship or ports.  It just the relaxing itinerary and the great scenery while sailing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I am so sorry this happened to you op. And of course to others on this cruise. While ship happens and due to weather related reasons you sometimes cannot get to a tender port it is always a sad situation when a cruiseline cancels a port in advance. Particularly if the reason would be bad scheduling of the cruiseline.

It will be interesting to see what happens for cruises around very late Feb/early March. It looks like this now for 3/4 for GSC (see pic below) 

https://cruisedig.com/ports/great-stirrup-cay-bahamas/arrivals

More ”Due to unforseen reasons” emails coming? Can CSG really handle 3 ships… if not… NCL - there is nothing unforseen in a situation where you yourself schedule 3 (or even 2) of your ships to your own private island for the same day and then realize you have gone over the max capacity that your own island can handle. 

4CCF7C5F-A0BA-49DF-A1C2-21463497BBA0.jpeg

Give it some time and this will change. We will be on Encore 2/12-cruisemapper showed 3 ships at GSC for a while, it's now back to just Encore for the day we are supposed to be there. Fingers crossed it doesn't change and we can stop.

OP-I'm sorry that you are dealing with changes. We are on the week before you and feel the same. No Broadway show-really stinks! May not make GSC, that's a built in gamble for every cruise that has a stop scheduled there, rough waters and they don't go. Now I'm reading in various places that Puerto Plata, DR could also be a no go, depending on if there are 2 Carnival ships docked at Amber Cove the day we are scheduled for there. Let's rub some more salt in the wound-I'm reading no refund of port fees. Oh and today found out service is being cut down to one time a day room cleaning-that doesn't bother me so much, but for some I can see why it would make a difference with more than 2 people in a room.

All of that being said-by golly we are going to have a good time. It's paid for already and we are very excited to be blessed to have this vacation. And next time we go....it will not be NCL!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

There is absolutely no basis for the conclusion drawn. A lot of unsubstantiated conjecture that does not support your conclusion. 

Bird, you didn’t answer my question.  You just reworded your first comment and called me “1000% wrong” again.

The Bahamian government paying cruise lines more than $12 million a year in incentives to bring tourist to Nassau is unsubstantiated?

https://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Bahamas-goes-private

This is only the tip of the iceberg. Cruise lines get a cut of all the money flowing into Nassau.  A substantiated fact, not conjecture.

Are you saying NCL makes more money at GSC with zip lines, jet skis, and air conditioned villas than they do in Nassau?

I’m respectfully asking again, as I previously asked you twice, can you please EXPLAIN how they’re profiting more in GSC than they are in Nassau?  I’m trying to understand your opinion and I would appreciate more information.  Thanks for your comments.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 6:46 AM, MrElvis said:

We agree with the comments above .  If you check the same date the Prima is at GSC. Apparently NCL cannot or will not have two ships on their island. Prima trumps Encore. 

I’m on the Feb 5 sailing. Originally we were to be at GSC on Monday (the only ship). In Sept (before final pymt) we were notified of a change in schedule: GSC will now be on Sat WITH Prima. 

Why would NCL move us to a date with Prima already there? 

We are to sail on the Encore at the end of March.  We booked this cruise because of the ship, the entertainment and the ports.  We always try and book a cruise with a private island as it is an all included beach day.

I completely understand that missing the private island due to weather can happen, cancelling it prior to even sailing is simply not right regardless of NCL's ability to do so.  

How long has NCL known that Kinky Boots would be cancelled?   I am sure it has been for quite some time and they still choose to advertise it as a feature of the Encore.  Yes, they have the right to do this but again not a decent way to treat customers.

NCL has decreased service (no longer cleaning cabins twice a day) increased the daily service charge to amounts higher than any other cruise line, removed entertainment and would seem to be changing ports of call due to poor planning.

So while I am looking forward to the Encore, as we have enjoyed our past two cruises on the Escape, this will be our last NCL cruise.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2023 at 1:06 PM, truckswain said:

We are to sail on the Encore at the end of March.  We booked this cruise because of the ship, the entertainment and the ports.  We always try and book a cruise with a private island as it is an all included beach day.

I completely understand that missing the private island due to weather can happen, cancelling it prior to even sailing is simply not right regardless of NCL's ability to do so.  

How long has NCL known that Kinky Boots would be cancelled?   I am sure it has been for quite some time and they still choose to advertise it as a feature of the Encore.  Yes, they have the right to do this but again not a decent way to treat customers.

NCL has decreased service (no longer cleaning cabins twice a day) increased the daily service charge to amounts higher than any other cruise line, removed entertainment and would seem to be changing ports of call due to poor planning.

So while I am looking forward to the Encore, as we have enjoyed our past two cruises on the Escape, this will be our last NCL cruise.   

This will be my first NCL as I’m usually a RC cruiser. Let’s see how it goes…I might go back to RC. Even though the cruise lines have a right to change everything, I feel that this is taking advantage of that right. Never has RC done this to us except for weather related issues. Which clearly is not in their control. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stelkp said:

This will be my first NCL as I’m usually a RC cruiser. Let’s see how it goes…I might go back to RC. Even though the cruise lines have a right to change everything, I feel that this is taking advantage of that right. Never has RC done this to us except for weather related issues. Which clearly is not in their control. 

We have had two very enjoyable cruises with NCL on the Escape.  We very much enjoyed the different venues - Mojito Bar and District Brewhouse among our favourites.  I am sure we will enjoy the Encore but entertainment and a private island stop is very important to our overall cruise experience.

We are Diamond on RC and have started sailing Celebrity (which is excellent!) and I don't see either of these lines doing what NCL is doing.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 9:56 PM, dobiemom said:

I’m on the Feb 5 sailing. Originally we were to be at GSC on Monday (the only ship). In Sept (before final pymt) we were notified of a change in schedule: GSC will now be on Sat WITH Prima. 

Why would NCL move us to a date with Prima already there? 

Very good question!!!  This goes against what everyone is speculating about the reason why GSC is being cancelled for so many sailings!  It leaves us with more questions than answers.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 1:06 PM, truckswain said:

My husband and I are on the Encore that week and we couldn’t agree more!  As another person stated it is bait and switch advertising! Norwegian Cruise Line is trying to make up for lost profits during the pandemic any way they can.  This will also be our last time ever sailing with NCL.  

And as a side note, I personally find their commercials so sleazy!  They’re obviously  trying to capitalize on people’s emotions as a result of being cooped during the pandemic.  This is seriously offensive.  “I want to break free!” Sail free, cruise free, drink free, fly free, everything is free free free!  Sickening sleazy advertising.  Obviously nothing is free and anyone can do the math to shop around. After you get past the annoying marketing and finally book the cruise, you learn that NCL is taking away the private island experience for no apparent reason, taking away the entertainment, taking away the room service, raising service charges.  NCL, what happened to free?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Carrie_Thompson_Scott said:

My husband and I are on the Encore that week and we couldn’t agree more!  As another person stated it is bait and switch advertising! Norwegian Cruise Line is trying to make up for lost profits during the pandemic any way they can.  This will also be our last time ever sailing with NCL.  

And as a side note, I personally find their commercials so sleazy!  They’re obviously  trying to capitalize on people’s emotions as a result of being cooped during the pandemic.  This is seriously offensive.  “I want to break free!” Sail free, cruise free, drink free, fly free, everything is free free free!  Sickening sleazy advertising.  Obviously nothing is free and anyone can do the math to shop around. After you get past the annoying marketing and finally book the cruise, you learn that NCL is taking away the private island experience for no apparent reason, taking away the entertainment, taking away the room service, raising service charges.  NCL, what happened to free?  

Thanks for letting us know that NCL is no longer a cruise choice for you.