Cruising from Quebec City and getting back question?

Jcol5786

Hello,

Would like to do an RC fall cruise that leaves Quebec City and ends at Port Liberty NJ. We can drive to Quebec City but would need to return from Port Liberty NJ. back to QC to retrieve our car.  Just wondering if anyone has done this type of "one way" cruise and how you got back? My first thought would be to rent a car and drive back however I assume that this would not work since I assume you cannot leave a US rental in Canada. Other options would be train, bus or flying. If anyone has done this I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks

James

I'll follow this thread as well, as we're thinking about a one-way between either Montreal (home) or Quebec City and Boston. I'd have to agree with the others that, logistically, flying back from EWR would be the simplest. Bus or train would be possible but flying, as obnoxious as it is these days, would be much easier.

As to renting a car one way between NJ and Quebec City, it may be possible. I had done some early research, last year, on driving one way between Florida and Canada, and some of the car rental agencies I checked did seem to allow it when making a booking on line.  Problem is, that when it comes to one-way car rentals, the cost skyrockets exponentially  the farther away the drop off.  I suspect that a one-way flight would be cheaper. 

Thanks for the replies. I just checked on Expedia for a one way flight from Newark to Quebec City and there is an Air Canada direct for $360 per person.  There is also a lower price option with 2 stops (Montreal and Ottawa) but I like direct flights so I guess flying is a better option than I originaly thought. I  recall hearing about a train that starts in Quebec City and stops in Montreal and then goes to NYC. The reverse of that if available would make a nice trip back. I'll keep researching and report back. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

Cheaper to fly to Montreal than Quebec City

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

but then you have the added expense getting to/from QC 😉

Just did a random price check on Air Canada for a Boston - Quebec City flight on Sunday, July 16, 2023.

There are several possibilities, but all connect through Montreal or Toronto. The interesting thing is that a ticket to Montreal only actually costs more than if you were to continue on to Quebec City, $265 to YUL and $240 continuing on to YQB. 

So, based on this airline and this random travel date, it's definitely cheaper to fly to Quebec City instead of Montreal, even without the additional cost of getting from Montreal to Quebec City. Whether this would be the case for other dates and airlines I haven't researched.

• Like 1

Thanks - The dates are October 30 on Jewel of the Seas for 10 days. If I count correctly it gets back on November 8. Nice itinerary.  4 Canadian ports. Returning on the 8'th or 9'th Air Canada direct is $361 pp but  we would need to pay addition checked bag fees. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Jcol5786 said:

Thanks - The dates are October 30 on Jewel of the Seas for 10 days. If I count correctly it gets back on November 8. Nice itinerary.  4 Canadian ports. Returning on the 8'th or 9'th Air Canada direct is $361 pp but  we would need to pay addition checked bag fees. Thanks.

I would book direct with AC  not  an online trip site

sometime you will find  some good fares at AC

Also check LGA or JFK   for flights  mid afternoon

Thanks for the Porter suggestion. We actually flew Porter from Toronto to Newark for our first post- Covid cruise in October 2021. It worked out fine and Bill Bishop is an easy airport. Not sure about using them with a non-direct flight but we'll run the numbers and times and decide. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m actually looking at this same cruise! We’re in SC and are looking at the 10/30 cruise from Quebec City to Newark. We’ve done New England in September and early October. What is the weather presumably in early November? I know it would be an estimate but wanting to avoid extreme temperatures for the 2 days in Canada.

1 hour ago, hannahsnana said:

I’m actually looking at this same cruise! We’re in SC and are looking at the 10/30 cruise from Quebec City to Newark. We’ve done New England in September and early October. What is the weather presumably in early November? I know it would be an estimate but wanting to avoid extreme temperatures for the 2 days in Canada.

Temperatures in what part of Canada ? It is big place😁

• Like 1

The average high/low temperatures for Quebec City at the end of October are 46/36 ℉.  Of course, you could hit warmer days when a light sweater would be in order, or days when it's snowing. Still, bring sweaters, a warm jacket and gloves if you intend on spending much time outside.The hi/low temperatures for Saguenay average about 4 ℉ lower, so 42/42 ℉.   

• 4 weeks later...