BAM! Carnival names Emeril Lagasse as Chief Culinary Officer

Honolulu Blue

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I can't imagine Emeril's name is cheap but it is for sale.

It's just marketing.

Carnival's general dining is set and set on costs. Emeril is not coming in to change up the whole menu, if any at all.

He may have some control in his on board restaurants, but I assure you, it doesn't go beyond that.

It's just marketing, which is all Emeril has been about for years.

Edited by EngIceDave

1 minute ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

A couple of dishes would be okay, but personally I don't care for cajun/creole style foods

I don't see Carnival or any cruise line going all in on any style of food. Or that Carnival offerings will become too spicy. Or chocolate melting cake will disappear.

Who knows? Maybe the MDR menus will remain the same and Steakhouse Selections will be replaced with Emeril Selections?

3 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

It's just marketing.

Carnival's general dining is set and set on costs. Emeril is not coming in to change up the whole menu, if any at all.

He may have some control in his on board restaurants, but I assure you, it doesn't go beyond that.

I've actually met Emeril on a couple of Carnival ships. His personality alone is a win, but I have little doubt he will contribute a dish or three to the menus. He already has one one on the Brunch menu.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

It's just marketing.

Having met Chef Emeril several times (I'm also from New Orleans) and dined in his restaurants I assure you he will not put his name out there on anything he doesn't directly have his hand in. You may not have ever had the pleasure to have a conversation with him but he takes his job and his name seriously. If it says he will have a hand in revamping some on the menu, then he will.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, starstruck05 said:

Having met Chef Emeril several times (I'm also from New Orleans) and dined in his restaurants I assure you he will not put his name out there on anything he doesn't directly have his hand in. You may not have ever had the pleasure to have a conversation with him but he takes his job and his name seriously. If it says he will have a hand in revamping some on the menu, then he will.

He doesn't make mini ovens and I assure you he isn't an engineer on making mini ovens.

No disrespect, but he's a sellout

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

I have yet to try Shaq's yardbirds, but will end of January.

I have just never been impressed with Emeril's food or techniques. 

Not sure what your obsession is with Emeril, but I doubt Shaq can boil water. I'm surprised Shaq hasn't put his name on a tampon yet 

At least Emeril is a real chef and can really cook. He has proven this for years and so much so that the no name chef was hired to be chef at Commander's Palace decades ago.

3 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Since the only thing Carnival is interested in is cutting costs, I can't imagine him having much of a role other than just a using his name for marketing.

Yeah, Emeril has had big money issues in the past and sold most of his IP and brands to Martha Stewart. He may be trying to make a comeback but yes, I view this as nothing more than marketing.

22 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

At least Emeril is a real chef and can really cook. He has proven this for years and so much so that the no name chef was hired to be chef at Commander's Palace decades ago.

I have never doubted his skills. No hate on my part.

I don't agree with some of his techniques and I see them as dated, but he is a smart man who knows how to make a buck, and you have to respect that.

11 minutes ago, Moviela said:

Everyone who thinks Cousteau was a diver, Judy Sheindlin is a judge, Shaq plays basketball, and Emeril is a chef, would be wrong.

All of them are TV personalities, and derive most of their income from that.

Cousteau is dead, so there's that. Emeril still cooks and yes has been on Roku this year. To say he isn't a chef is both wrong and an insult. Does he sweat long hours in the kitchen to earn a living? The man is in his 60s for crying out loud. He has paid his dues.

I wouldn't be surprised if Emeril goes back to his Portuguese roots for a dish or two.

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I've actually met Emeril on a couple of Carnival ships. His personality alone is a win, but I have little doubt he will contribute a dish or three to the menus. He already has one one on the Brunch menu.

What’s his brunch dish?

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Shrimp and Grits for $6. Similar to what is served at the Bistro, and neither what I was expecting, but still acceptable 

Ah ok. I should’ve guessed. I never tried that since I am beyond happy with the brunch cheese grits. I’ve had acceptable shrimp and grits before. I will pass on that. 🤣🤣

9 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Not going to happen.  Shaq has famously said on several occasions that he only endorses products that he actually uses.  😝

Never say never. Actually Charles Barkley was the one who first mentioned Shaq tampons.

Somehow I don't think Shaq has primary insurance with the General. I don't doubt that he has eaten his weight in Krispy Kremes, though. 

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Never say never. Actually Charles Barkley was the one who first mentioned Shaq tampons.

Somehow I don't think Shaq has primary insurance with the General. I don't doubt that he has eaten his weight in Krispy Kremes, though. 

Actually, he does use the General.  I saw him in an interview where he said that when he was young (pre-NBA) and had his first car, The General was the only insurance company who offered insurance he could afford, and he never forgot that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

Actually, he does use the General.  I saw him in an interview where he said that when he was young (pre-NBA) and had his first car, The General was the only insurance company who offered insurance he could afford, and he never forgot that.

Yep, he was not always rich and famous.  If his commercial can help someone else, so be it.