Cruisetour questions

cruiselvr04

I need some advice for those of you who have done cruise tours.  I didn’t book with an agent and am a bit lost on the tour part.  We are doing a 6 night pre cruise tour with RCCL from Fairbanks in July of 2023.

We usually fly in the day before but since we can’t miss the ship, do you fly in for your first night that they have booked you a room? We usually wait until about 3 months out to book air.  Does this hold true with one way to Fairbanks?  

I read somewhere, but can’t find it now, that they want you to pack separately for the cruise?  Or will we have access to all our bags all the time?  Is there a limit on bags pp?  

Meals are not included in our package.  We don’t eat breakfast and usually eat one larger meal either at lunch or dinner and light the other.  Any idea of how much to budget for food?  

Would there be any reason to bring dress clothes for the land portion or will jeans, leggings and yoga pants be fine?  

If any of you have done a land tour and have advice, please share as I’m hungry for information and details.  We have no idea what to expect.  This is our first trip to Alaska.

34 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are doing a 6 night pre cruise tour with RCCL from Fairbanks in July of 2023.

We usually fly in the day before but since we can’t miss the ship, do you fly in for your first night that they have booked you a room? We usually wait until about 3 months out to book air.  Does this hold true with one way to Fairbanks?

The first day of a pre-cruise tour consists of travel between the Fairbanks airport and the hotel in Fairbanks, meet up with tour guide, and sleep. On your own you could explore Fairbanks and/or eat. If you fly to Fairbanks on the scheduled first day, then everything else will be scheduled to follow. Should your travel plans into Fairbanks get disrupted, and you don't actually arrive in Fairbanks until the day after the originally-scheduled day, then, depending on exactly which tour you have booked, you would miss either the Chena River cruise and sightseeing in Fairbanks, but you would otherwise "catch-up" in Fairbanks (tour 8B) or the Chena River cruise and transfer to Denali, and would need to arrange ground transportation to "catch-up" in Denali (tour 7B). It would be up to you to assess the probability of your travel plans into Fairbanks getting disrupted, and the value of the activities missed in the event that your travel plans into Fairbanks actually do get disrupted. If your assessed probability and value of activities are both too high, then plan to arrive a day in advance, and pay for an additional hotel night. Be forewarned, however, that you might not find a lot do with the additional day in Fairbanks.

Booking airline travel is a gamble for nearly all major U.S. destinations, Fairbanks included. But when making such arrangements, do review the fares both (1) through from your origin to Fairbanks, and (2) from your origin to Anchorage, plus Anchorage to Fairbanks.

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I read somewhere, but can’t find it now, that they want you to pack separately for the cruise?  Or will we have access to all our bags all the time? Is there a limit on bags pp?

Absent any recent changes to policies and procedures, you will be able to tag your baggage pieces separately, some that will be delivered to your land tour hotels every evening, and others that will remain on the bus and only get delivered to your stateroom. If you err, and need something from the baggage that remains on the bus, you might be able to arrange with the driver to retrieve that baggage (though possibly not if the stateroom baggage gets sent ahead by truck). The portion of the ticket contract relating to baggage limits, section 3(a), does impose limitations on the contents of baggage but does not explicitly impose any limit on the quantity of baggage.

Would there be any reason to bring dress clothes for the land portion or will jeans, leggings and yoga pants be fine?

You will be visiting parks and other natural sights where outdoor clothing will be appropriate. Otherwise, you would want to dress as you usually do when traveling leisurely by railroad or motorcoach. My suggestion is to dress well enough that you will not mind being in photographs taken by others. If you plan to attend Mass on Sunday, eat at fine restaurants, visit business offices or court houses, or simply prefer dressing up in the evening, only then might you want to plan accordingly.

• Like 1

First, RCCL will not leave you.   The tour includes the Pipeline, sled dog training, Chena river boat tour, etc.   The train to Anchorage includes a breakfast, a lunch, and a dinner....the meals were the finest I have ever eaten.   BFast features the fresh blueberry pancakes etc.   the last night of the train has a choice of fresh halibut (delicious), prime rib (I ate both).    the excellent hotels had delicious menus.  we spent about 630 bucks on the 6 days.   first day we in Fairbanks, it got to 72 degrees, but the next 12 only hit a high of 55 with off and drizzle and wind.    But we knew that could happen.    

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

You will be visiting parks and other natural sights where outdoor clothing will be appropriate. Otherwise, you would want to dress as you usually do when traveling leisurely by railroad or motorcoach. My suggestion is to dress well enough that you will not mind being in photographs taken by others. If you plan to attend Mass on Sunday, eat at fine restaurants, visit business offices or court houses, or simply prefer dressing up in the evening, only then might you want to plan accordingly.

I think I mislead you in my question….We are more resort casual then athletic wear and t shirts during the day.  I will definitely dress nicely for travel as usual but leave the dresses and dress shoes for the cruise.  We took a river cruise with Viking and there were times we felt overdressed in the evening.  

16 minutes ago, Sports Dr said:

First, RCCL will not leave you.   The tour includes the Pipeline, sled dog training, Chena river boat tour, etc.   The train to Anchorage includes a breakfast, a lunch, and a dinner....the meals were the finest I have ever eaten.   BFast features the fresh blueberry pancakes etc.   the last night of the train has a choice of fresh halibut (delicious), prime rib (I ate both).    the excellent hotels had delicious menus.  we spent about 630 bucks on the 6 days.   first day we in Fairbanks, it got to 72 degrees, but the next 12 only hit a high of 55 with off and drizzle and wind.    But we knew that could happen.    

Thanks for this practical answer regarding money spent on meals.  I knew food was available on the trains but now I’m looking even more forward to train travel!  

I would fly in the day before to Fairbanks. Find out what hotel you are staying at and book that hotel. Or see if the cruise line will book an extra night hotel for you.

I would book airfare to Fairbanks farther ahead than you are used to. Alaska is expensive and flights fill up.

• Like 1

....  .We are more resort casual then athletic wear and t shirts during the day.  I will definitely dress nicely for travel as usual but leave the dresses and dress shoes for the cruise.  We took a river cruise with Viking and there were times we felt overdressed in the evening.  

Just a quick comment from someone who lives in Fairbanks.  While I can't state with 100% certainty what the RCCL tour in Fairbanks will include I suspect it will be the Riverboat Discovery (which someone has called the Chena River boat tour on this thread) combined with Gold Dredge #8 (which will stop at the pipeline viewing station); the same local family owns both the Discovery and GD #8.    Easy options for a day on your own include the Museum of the North (located on the University of Alaska campus), the  Running Reindeer Ranch, and the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum.

I will be curious as to where RCCL will book regarding hotel rooms.  If you can determine the hotel let us know.

Even though we live in Alaska we have done a number of Alaska itineraries as these easy cruises give us the opportunity to visit another part of our very large state.  Dress on Alaska cruises tends to be very casual no matter what cruise line.

• Like 1

The Sophie Station in Fairbanks, pre-covid, ran a trolley type vehicle on a scheduled loop around various Fairbanks attractions.  Sophie Station is owned by Fountainhead Development, and so that loop included the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum, in addition to the Museum of the North.  We are having a serious labor shortage in Alaska, including folks with commercial driver's licenses, and so last year I don't think that that trolley operated.  At least I didn't see it.

I don't recognize any hotel in the Denali area called the Denali Motor Lodge.  Also did a quick search on Expedia and don't find any such named facility.  I wonder if @Sports Dr stayed at the Denali Park Village, which is located on a river several miles south of the DNP entrance.

Also couldn't find a hotel in Talkeetna called the Arctic Lodge, but wonder if @Sports Dr means the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge.

I also suspect that what @Sports Dr refers as the Anchorage Marriott is the Anchorage Marriott Downtown, which is close to the Captain Cook, and not the one on University Lake.  There are several Marriott Bonvoy (or whatever they call it now) branded properties in the greater Anchorage area.

• Like 1

Airfare - there are few NON-STOP flights from the lower 48 states and these are expensive

although the timing is usually better arriving early evening in Fairbanks.

For less expensive flights and potentially more connection complications book the

flights through Seattle - beware some of these arrive when the Mid-Night Sun is setting

at none other than midnight - creating shorten nights slumber for whatever the next

day activities.

Another booking alternative book your flight to Anchorage and then there are frequent

flights on Alaska Airlines to Fairbanks.

There is of course always the potential of connections gone awry - but in the cruise

season unlikely.

Most all the airport hotels offer free shuttle service from the airport and the following

day or there after to the Fairbanks Alaska RR Depot - this is not complicated.

Less expensive hotels are usually found in and near the airport - - -

If arriving early for a cruise tour - as noted find out what hotel the cruise operator uses

and plan on booking that pre-tour accommodation as soon as possible or at the

least to be as close (across the street parking lot) as possible to meet up with the

cruise tour as planned.

FYI the Alaska RR Denali Star train leaves daily at 08:20 am for the 12 hour trip to Anchorage.

• Like 1

The first 2 nights are at Sophie Station.  We will consider going a day early and staying there a third night. I was checking airfare tonight and ouch!  I knew it was going to be pricey for 2 one way tickets but not quite that high. I may call Air2Sea to see if we can save that way.  I will check to Anchorage too and then on to Fairbanks.  Thanks for the advice.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bumping this up.

We booked Sophie Station for an extra night and paid a lot for our one way air but it’s done.  

We’re considering renting a car for just the day in Fairbanks and driving up to Chena hot Springs.  Is this worth it?  We don’t want to repeat any of the things we’ll do with our tour group.  With it being light so long I think doing something in the evening might be an option too before we return the car. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Bumping this up.

We booked Sophie Station for an extra night and paid a lot for our one way air but it’s done.  

We’re considering renting a car for just the day in Fairbanks and driving up to Chena hot Springs.  Is this worth it?  We don’t want to repeat any of the things we’ll do with our tour group.  With it being light so long I think doing something in the evening might be an option too before we return the car. 

Definitely rent a car and explore on your own.  The first day of the cruise tour is really a nothing day.  Most people are travelling in that day and the tour guide was not even available to meet with anyone until the afternoon.  We didn't know this until we got to the hotel, we were at Pike's, not Sophie Station, and ended up getting a ride to downtown to explore what we ended up seeing the next day anyway.  We had flown into Anchorage and did a couple of days DIY and then flown out early the morning of the cruisetour to Fairbanks.  We wish we had taken a later flight.  Another couple waiting with us rented a car and went off road somewhere, I forget where they wanted to go but do know they got a car they were allowed to take off road.

I would see if you can find out what time you are actually supposed to meet day 1 so you can actually do something that morning.  The cruisetour also included transfer from the airport to the hotel which might not be an option coming in a day early but if you are getting a car at the airport it is a non-issue anyway.

• Like 1

I’m afraid the car rental places will be closed as our flight doesn’t get in until almost midnight.  We will probably have to get a cab to the hotel.  There are cabs right?  We will then have to go back to the airport in the am to get a car and then back again late that night to return it.  Big hassle but I think it’s the best we can do.  At least it’s a short distance of 3 miles.  We don’t want to waste a day just sitting around in the hotel.  

I’ve received nothing from Royal but hopefully will after final payment on details.  I’m only going by the website for hotels listed which is most certainly last year’s information.  We didn’t use a TA for this one so we’re on our own.  We have booked all our excursions for the cruise portion on Black Friday when prices were lowest.  We’ve even purchased our bus/ferry over to Victoria post cruise and flights home from there.  Royal so far hasn’t communicated anything.  I’m just assuming they will before the last minute.

34 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’m afraid the car rental places will be closed as our flight doesn’t get in until almost midnight.  We will probably have to get a cab to the hotel.  There are cabs right?  We will then have to go back to the airport in the am to get a car and then back again late that night to return it.  Big hassle but I think it’s the best we can do.  At least it’s a short distance of 3 miles.  We don’t want to waste a day just sitting around in the hotel.  

Are you asking about Fairbanks?  The major car rental companies have desks (and cars) at the Fairbanks airport.  I have been on late night arrival flights and those car rental desks were manned. 

And of course, we have cabs.  When there a flight is arriving, no matter what the time, there will be cabs available.  

A consideration for your free day is to drive to Chena Hot Springs Resort.  The first 25 or so miles of the Chena Hot Sprigs road is through some rather odd subdivisions.  But at mile 25 the road enters the Chena River State Recreation area.  Lots of hiking trails and a very "moose" area (ie, prime moose habitat).  

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 2:53 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

I need some advice for those of you who have done cruise tours.  I didn’t book with an agent and am a bit lost on the tour part.  We are doing a 6 night pre cruise tour with RCCL from Fairbanks in July of 2023.

I read somewhere, but can’t find it now, that they want you to pack separately for the cruise?  Or will we have access to all our bags all the time?  Is there a limit on bags pp?  

Meals are not included in our package.  We don’t eat breakfast and usually eat one larger meal either at lunch or dinner and light the other.  Any idea of how much to budget for food?  

If any of you have done a land tour and have advice, please share as I’m hungry for information and details.  We have no idea what to expect.  This is our first trip to Alaska.

Even though arrival day is a planned travel day, if your schedule permits, I would recommend flying in a day earlier. It will give you peace of mind, but also will give you the whole first day to explore Fairbanks, take an excursion, whatever you like.

Our first cruisetour, we did not fly in a day early, so it felt like a wasted opportunity. All we did that day was check into our Anchorage hotel, have dinner, walk around a bit, then go to bed exhausted. Our second cruisetour, we flew to Fairbanks a day early. We then used the extra full day to take a tour north to the Arctic Circle, but there are lots of options.

Anyway, no need for dress clothes on the land tour. Everything will be pretty casual, so plan accordingly. Just remember that temps can vary, so be prepared to dress in layers, and bring a jacket gloves. It might be in the 70s - 80s in Fairbanks, the 50s in Juneau, and 30s near the glaciers. Don't forget about the rain. You likely won't have to worry about it on your land tour, but it is pretty commonplace down south. Ketchikan gets about 13 feet per year.

Resaurants in Alaska can be quite a bit more expensive compared to the lower 48. While I don't think you'll actually spend that much, double whatever you think you would normally spend in a week eating out at home, and it will ease the sticker shock.

HTH. Have fun.

• Like 1