Who buys yearly trip insurance?

spleenstomper

22 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

If I am traveling internationally often I buy a yearly GeoBlue medical insurance policy.  Otherwise all of the coverage I want is attached to my Chase Sapphire credit card, that costs under $100 per year

We do exactly this ^  

GeoBlue for international medical.

BofA Signature Visa Credit Card for travel insurance stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a Canadian and purchased a 12 month Trip Cancellation and Trip Insurance Package from Blue Cross with Pandemic Coverage.  The cost was based on a trip we are taking in March to South Africa- $20,500 CDN. and our age - 69 & 67. The price for the Policy was just under $2,000.

The Coverage also has Flight Delay bonus coverage which provides access to Hotels,  Airport Lounges and Meal Vouchers depending upon the length of the delay. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We also rely on an annual GeoBlue annual travel medical policy for all of our trips.  Chase Sapphire gives us some (up to $10,000 per person) cancelation/interruption insurance.  This saves us thousands of dollars a year vs buying various individual trip policies.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

If I am traveling internationally often I buy a yearly GeoBlue medical insurance policy.  Otherwise all of the coverage I want is attached to my Chase Sapphire credit card, that costs under $100 per year

I really need to rearrange my credit cards and get one for travel. 

There's an entire board here on Cruise Critic dedicated to Travel Insurance.

I used to purchase coverage per trip via insuremytrip dot com.  Once I got to the point where I was sailing more than twice a year &/or taking road trips, I started buying an annual policy from Allianz.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

I’m in my early 50s. Is Geo blue something to consider when we get on Medicare?  Thanks.

GeoBlue is a travel insurance, not a Medicare product.  It is offered at the Trip Insurance store, is underwritten by Blue Cross and is cheap as dirt and excellent coverage.  The younger you are, the cheaper it is.  Check it out on the Cruise Critic insurance board 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

There's an entire board here on Cruise Critic dedicated to Travel Insurance.

I used to purchase coverage per trip via insuremytrip dot com.  Once I got to the point where I was sailing more than twice a year &/or taking road trips, I started buying an annual policy from Allianz.

Yes, it occurred to me today that for 2022 and 2023, I would have done better with a yearly plan.

Just now, spleenstomper said:

Yes, it occurred to me today that for 2022 and 2023, I would have done better with a yearly plan.

You can start it the night before you travel.  I am very happy. For us two senior citizens it costs less than $300 per year for both of us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

GeoBlue is a travel insurance, not a Medicare product.  It is offered at the Trip Insurance store, is underwritten by Blue Cross and is cheap as dirt and excellent coverage.  The younger you are, the cheaper it is.  Check it out 

Ok. I guess since I have private insurance that I never thought to use trip insurance for medical. I get trip insurance for repatriation of remains (gross but I know someone who died on a trip in India when their bus fell off a mountain), medical evac and trip delay and interruption.

Just now, spleenstomper said:

Ok. I guess since I have private insurance that I never thought to use trip insurance for medical. I get trip insurance for repatriation of remains (gross but I know someone who died on a trip in India when their bus fell off a mountain), medical evac and trip delay and interruption.

GeoBlue is trip medical insurance.  It includes evacuation and other typical coverages.  That and a credit card and we are set.  I never got a separate policy until Covid when some countries were requiring it

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

GeoBlue is trip medical insurance.  It includes evacuation and other typical coverages.  That and a credit card and we are set.  I never got a separate policy until Covid when some countries were requiring it

Great information, Mary. This has been a very helpful post, thanks. 

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I do the same.  The savings from not paying for travel insurance has paid for several trips and is far more than any out of pocket expense I might encounter.  The real potential for major expenses are medical and/or evacuation which are covered by the Geo Blue policy.

What kind of coverage does the Chase Sapphire provide?  Just medical or do they cover, for example cancelling a trip because of health?  I've been looking for alternatives as we've gotten older (and insurance is way more expensive) also DH has a pre-existing condition now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spleenstomper said:

Also ask on the CC Travel Insurance section, plus just generally browse through some of the threads that might seem to cover a topic of interest to you.

There is such variability in travel insurance coverages, and likewise in what "private insurance" would cover, that it's not a simple answer.

And... it depends upon what your own specific concerns are.  Some people have pre-existing conditions that some policies will cover but some won't.  Some want coverage in case a non-traveling family member gets sick...

We strongly recommend you CALL www.TripInsuranceStore.com

In addition to answering your questions, they are likely to ask you some questions, to try to find the best match of a policy for your particular needs.

They are a broker (no extta charge for using them) and work with several vetted insurers.

There are also other brokers whose name will come up on the insurance section.

We've had several claims, unfortunately, including a few large ones, and all have been paid with no nonsense.  Check the "do they pay or make claims a real pain" comments, too.

GC

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Cruise NH said:

What kind of coverage does the Chase Sapphire provide?  Just medical or do they cover, for example cancelling a trip because of health?  I've been looking for alternatives as we've gotten older (and insurance is way more expensive) also DH has a pre-existing condition now.

GeoBlue covers medical &  evacuation.  Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve Card covers the trip cancellation and interruption up to $10K for one person or $20K for two people (per trip).   Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve Card also has some nice perks for travel purchases.  

This is a helpful article comparing both of them.  

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-sapphire-preferred-vs-chase-sapphire-reserve/

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Cruise NH said:

They cover a variety of circumstances and are very similar to the basic policies many people purchase.  At my age insurance can be up to 10% of the cruise cost so it is quite a savings.  The points guy does a good job of detailing the benefits 

• Like 2