A gratuitous increase is coming.

shepherd really

Looks like FDR jr is following his daddy's NCLH lead and raising the gratuities on us.

IMPORTANT UPDATE! Changes to Gratuity Amounts
Oceania Cruises is changing the amount of the gratuities for categories A and below from $16 per guest, per day to $18 per guest, per day. Suite categories OS to PH will remain the same at $23 per guest per day.

The change will go into effect on the following cruises:
  • Insignia: 1/15/23
  • Marina: 1/8/23
  • Nautica: 1/6/23
  • Regatta: 1/16/23
  • Riviera: 1/4/23
  • Sirena: 1/11/23
  • Vista: 5/20/23

Very nice, first laying off employees right before Christmas and now cost shifting your payroll expenses onto your customers.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

Looks like FDR jr is following his daddy's NCLH lead and raising the gratuities on us.

IMPORTANT UPDATE! Changes to Gratuity Amounts
Oceania Cruises is changing the amount of the gratuities for categories A and below from $16 per guest, per day to $18 per guest, per day. Suite categories OS to PH will remain the same at $23 per guest per day.

The change will go into effect on the following cruises:
  • Insignia: 1/15/23
  • Marina: 1/8/23
  • Nautica: 1/6/23
  • Regatta: 1/16/23
  • Riviera: 1/4/23
  • Sirena: 1/11/23
  • Vista: 5/20/23

Very nice, first laying off employees right before Christmas and now cost shifting your payroll expenses onto your customers.    

Do they impose the increase on only new bookings or already existing as well?

18 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Do they impose the increase on only new bookings or already existing as well?

Since I have a sales contract, with all the applicable fees and credits sitting in my desk, imo the increase will be for new bookings only.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Since I have a sales contract, with all the applicable fees and credits sitting in my desk, imo the increase will be for new bookings only.

Good luck.  I'm sure there is fine print that negates any guarantee about anything...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Good luck.  I'm sure there is fine print that negates any guarantee about anything...

I got an email from my TA today regarding a booking we made onboard a few days ago. The email says that we have until January 4th to prepay the gratuities for our September cruise if we want to pay at the current rate.

Seachelt

• Like 2

5 hours ago, seachelt said:

The email says that we have until January 4th to prepay the gratuities for our September cruise if we want to pay at the current rate.

Or do as I plan - wind it back down to the agreed on rate. The gratuity amount is still in your hands - 0, 16, 18 or more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Just walked down to Riviera Reception and he said that his understanding is that it will be applied to all regardless of signed contract. He added to just come down and they’ll put them at the level you want and it will be adjusted. He added a lot of people set at 0 or any amount in between. Few set at higher.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IF the gratuity goes to the hard-working crew & staff, why would we be upset in an era of INFLATION, that hits them, too? They have to pay more to live, just like we do. And Oceania has raised cruise prices many times since 1/1/22.

I found it interesting on Sirena 11/22 to find the CD Dottie in a particular San Juan (PR) supermarket, where I found the least expensive alcohol. She mentioned she'd been shopping there for many, many years. When I went back I told some of the crew about it and where it was (gave them the address). I'd learned on Dominica from some crew how important it was for them to find inexpensive shopping in ports for their room and life necessities. They could see the green cross hanging off the building with the big supermarket that they could see from the ship in port. I forget if they were let off that day. But they need to shop for their supplies. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

IF the gratuity goes to the hard-working crew & staff, why would we be upset in an era of INFLATION, that hits them, too?

I was assured by a former Food and Beverage manager that the gratuities will all go to the crew but that really isn't the point. 

The point is FDR and Jr are ridiculously overpaid and gave themselves huge raises and benefits while laying off workers and shifting their payroll expenses on to the customers that pay to keep their business afloat.  

It's corporate greed in an industry crippled with debt.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

I found it interesting on Sirena 11/22 to find the CD Dottie in a particular San Juan (PR) supermarket, where I found the least expensive alcohol. She mentioned she'd been shopping there for many, many years. When I went back I told some of the crew about it and where it was (gave them the address). I'd learned on Dominica from some crew how important it was for them to find inexpensive shopping in ports for their room and life necessities. They could see the green cross hanging off the building with the big supermarket that they could see from the ship in port. I forget if they were let off that day. But they need to shop for their supplies. 

Some were definitely allowed off Sirena that day, as we had lunch in port with the Chief Purser. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

I was assured by a former Food and Beverage manager that the gratuities will all go to the crew but that really isn't the point. 

The point is FDR and Jr are ridiculously overpaid and gave themselves huge raises and benefits while laying off workers and shifting their payroll expenses on to the customers that pay to keep their business afloat.

The GRATUITIES go to the crew & staff, so no begrudging them for an increase to offset inflation. Why would anyone complain?

As for corporate issues, that's up to their board of directors, banks & others who do or might lend them money, bond markets, and stock markets. Not up to me to decide or know what salaries and benefits senior executives receive. But the markets will punish them if they don't have an efficient, effective operation that isn't bloated with expensive debt that has to be serviced.

You do realize that ALL expenses, including corporate taxes, are paid by customers? When expenses and taxes go up, so, too, usually do the prices paid by customers. TANSTAAFL.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, samiam0403 said:

Some were definitely allowed off Sirena that day, as we had lunch in port with the Chief Purser. 

It was brutal on the crew in 2021. We did our W. Caribbean on Riviera 12/13-23/21. 10-day cruise. The crew were ecstatic they were let off at Cozumel. BUT then they weren't allowed off for the rest of the cruise. We were in that weird period where COVID restrictions were briefly let up until the hard return in late Dec & early Jan. The crew took the brunt first with not being allowed off. But what a cruise on a great ship. 719 passengers and 780 crew. With all the Christmas decorations up. (I got to know and spend some time with one of the boutique employees. We'd meet "secretly" on the outside exercise area aft that the crew shares with passengers (unlike Sirena where the crew has their own area on top outside aft).)

21 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

If you do not like how the business is run   then do not give them your money

Find a cruise line that you like their business model & spend your money with them

JMO

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, samiam0403 said:

The  crew get time off   on a rotating scale  (just like other shift workers)

They usually will shop for others  when they are off in certain ports

They know the good places to shop

IME

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you do not like how the business is run   then do not give them your money

Find a cruise line that you like their business model & spend your money with them

JMO

Thanks, if you don't like my comments, don't read them.  

Edited by shepherd really
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

... They usually will shop for others when they are off in certain ports

They know the good places to shop

I thought that too, but on Sirena last month I got to know some of the staff, including the dancers and singers. I was shocked that the new ones hadn't been told where to shop. I was telling them where the less expensive grocery stores were. And a couple of times I told them where the less expensive ones were versus more expensive ones closest to the docked ship that they'd already shopped at (e.g., the more expensive CVS at San Juan rather than the local supermarket that the CD was shopping at further away). I was writing down addresses for them & showing them where on my port map, so they'd know later.

I had no sense that there was any general communication by the ship to new crew & staff about such places. Certainly NOT for the entertainers. That saddened me.

And given how much normal stuff they need, all the things we take for granted on our cruise, I doubt any one crew can do too much shopping for more than 1 or 2 others, if that. 

54 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

His "all in" pay in 2021 was $19+MILLION.  Good on him, capitalism at work.  Seems like he does not want any kind of pay cut and to not have that happen, let's lay off the lowest level of employees.  The company (a partnership) that I work for, in 2021 had gross revenue of $1.9+BILLION.  This year they want to hit $2BILLION, the economy said probably won't happen based just on clients paying their bills.  So in order to reach that $2BILLION goal, they laid off 200 employees the week before Thanksgiving, 7% of our US work force.  Oh yea, by letting them all go BEFORE EOY, they don't have to make their profit sharing contribution because they aren't employees of record on Dec. 31.  In January they will gleefully announce in the marketplace, look at us competitors, we set a brand new revenue record.  Profit is good, it's important, it keeps the economy churning, but when is enough enough for the FDR's of the world that they can't be happy at a level salary of say oh $19MILLION.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

We have on some of our booked cruises gratuities included from our TA...with a dollar amount attached to it, based on the existing rate...wonder how it will be affected with the increase...

I asked reception that question and was told it depends how it is structured by your TA - a dollar amount in OBC ( the way our. TA did it) in which case anything more is my responsibility

or

prepaid gratuity in which case TA is on the hook

3 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

IF the gratuity goes to the hard-working crew & staff, why would we be upset in an era of INFLATION, that hits them, too? They have to pay more to live, just like we do. And Oceania has raised cruise prices many times since 1/1/22.

And how do you square that with a cut in service when 2 a day service becomes 1 a day.