Live from the Rotterdam New Years Eve Caribbean Cruise 2022

Crew News

On 12/30/2022 at 8:09 PM, Trapper44 said:

Since we share a love for the Fruit Crisps are they available, by request, nightly? On your website you list a 10-day menu and a 11-day menu, what do they use for a 12-day cruise? We have a 12-day partial Panama Canal cruise booked on the Rotterdam.  

We just got off the Nieuw Statendam and they had a crisp in Lido every night.  It was the same ones they use to have in the dining room. It is located with the bread under a warmer. It is not with the desserts. I agree the crisp was my favorite dining room sweet treat.

Day 04 was a beach stop for me at the Bamboo Beach Club in Jamaica.  I purchased a 7:30 excursion departure time and noted the night before that the departure time was changed to 9:30 AM.  I gave the tour operator name and learned they had no list. Everything required scanning my phone’s Navigator Excursion Pass.  It seems that my departure time change did not update my Navigator pass and I was sent to the back of the line while someone went to find a piece of paper to write down my name.  The tour operator did not have a list of attendees so showing my HAL purchase receipt earned me the right to have my name written on a blank piece of paper and a walk to the bus. My seat behind the bus driver was at the same level as the bus floor with four inches of foot room. 

The 45-minute ride each way to the beach was most uncomfortable.  Being moved to the second excursion at 9:30 AM and not at the purchased 7:30 AM departure time, meant no seating near the beach.  Food was OK.  My excursion pass appeared on my phone several hours after I returned from the beach. Too much road time cut into beach time and the last meal course was served just before boarding the bus to return to the ship.  No response from HAL to my complaint on the Navigator app.  I do not recommend this excursion. 

New Years Eve in Club Orange skipped the hats and noise makers but served me two free lobster tails and a great dessert.

All of the music venues were going strong when I decided to retire for the evening.

Before retiring for the evening, I noted only two more days until the “Maverick” movie with popcorn.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

The cruise experienced a day in Georgetown where many shops were closed and traffic away from the port was non-existent on January 1st. Many excursions were cancelled by both the ship and private vendors. 

The cooking class in Cozumel was raucous after all participants were plied with alcoholic beverages. Surprisingly, the dishes we cooked had good results and the lesson on chocolate ganache decorating quite informative.  I would recommend this excursion as an alternative for the long bus rides to the Mayan ruins.

I finally got to see the movie, “Maverick” in the Showcase Theater and learned that it had been on the ship TV On Demand list since Embarkation Day.

OBSERVATIONS:

Stateroom – There is a slot just inside the stateroom door where a credit card, or equivalent is needed to turn on the master power switch for the room.  There are US A/C outlets and USB-A plugs on each side of the bed. 

Club Orange – Unlike other Pinnacle-class Club Oranges, the Rotterdam has couches with pillows seating available and more comfortable chairs.  Service was good and the Host, Michecon, went out of her way locating menus for me.

PG – This restaurant was at 50% capacity except for New Year’s Eve.  The food was excellent, the service very efficient for two meals and a lunch.  Waiters were trying to convince diners to try the candied bacon to no avail during my time in the restaurant.  Appetizers cost $7 for a second and the sides portions were greatly reduced in sides.  My favorite lavosh has been dropped from the bread service.  It must be noted that the Sommeliers in each of the restaurant no longer wear the ceremonial tasting cups around their neck, thus making them look just like any other waiter.  HIA drink packages beverages above the cost limit require only the difference be paid. 

Tamarind – Two meals at the Tamarind were excellent both in service and food.  The Tamarind was less than half filled each night that I was there.

Canaletto – One of the Canaletto waiters working in the Lido for lunch was encouraging diners to give the Canaletto a try.  When I mentioned that it was too late for the Osso Bucco, I was assured that with a two-day notice, I could have my Osso Bucco on any night.  The portions in the Canaletto did not shrink and my Osso Bucco was especially tender.  Of course, the dessert to not miss at the Canaletto, was the gelato. 

Grand Dutch Café – My favorite almond cookies were radically different from those on other Pinnacle-class ships.  The normally soft cookies were very hard.  The huge chocolate chip cookies were reduced in diameter on the Rotterdam.  Service was slow even for just picking up a few sodas. 

Lido – Lots of self-service tongs were very evident in the Lido Market service stations for a change.  The bread pudding moved from the dessert area to the Bread Station.  Cleaning tables and beverage assistance varied depending on the seating area. The crispy fish and chips were excellent.  I located crackers early in the cruise but nobody could find them again.  With more than 2900 passengers aboard, the Lido Market traffic flow was always congested and the lines for food often long.

Entertainment – Claude Stewart, comedian, was just average.

Internet – After more than one hour at Guest Services, I learned that connecting a laptop to the ship required the following URL to get to the Windows login screen: 

https://navigator.hollandamerica.com/#/

Embarkation/Disembarkation – Check-in on Embarkation Day was fast and no sitting time was needed even though I arrived a little after 11;00 AM.  Nobody asked for Verifly.  The Security folks could not scan the barcode on my paper documents but the phone version worked.  Disembarkation was efficient even though the lines were long with so many extra passengers aboard.  After a facial recognition photo verification, there was no stop for Customs/immigration before exiting the terminal.

CONCLUSIONS:

The Rotterdam was a beautiful ship but with a lot more passengers than capacity rated. Specialty Restaurants were underutilized probably for not making potential guests aware that kids can eat for free from the Kid’s Menu.  The crew was efficient with many on their first HAL contract and I enjoyed meeting crew members that I remember from previous HAL cruises. 

Menus and When & Where will be uploaded soon.

Thanks for following along.  On to Alaska.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, JennysUncle said:

Was that just in the Pinnacle Grill ?  Was it true when you checked your statement ?

Every bar had a sign that says, "HAVE A BEVERAGE PACKAGE?   Order any cocktail or glass of wine and now only pay the difference on drinks that exceed your package price limit."

i didn't purchase any beverages over my $11 limit so did not check statement.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

As requested, I have photographed and posted the NY Deli & Pizza Breakfast menu here:

NY Deli & Pizza Breakfast Menu

In addition, Caribbean 7-Day MDR menus and When & Where brochures are now posted.

Your information is amazing.   Thanks.

Do you know of a source for hours of operation?   Bars  restaurants, spa, fitness, etc?

7 minutes ago, bdd123 said:

Do you know of a source for hours of operation?   Bars  restaurants, spa, fitness, etc?

I'm not Crew News, but the hours for the ship are listed in the Daily schedules that @Crew News has already posted to his website linked at the bottom of his posts.  The hours are on the last page.  Hours can change from day to day or by ship/itinerary, but these will be a general idea. 

Ms Rotterdam 7-Day Western Caribbean When & Where (Daily Activities) – 2022/23 | Roger Jett Photography (rogerjett-photography.com)

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 1