Live from the Rotterdam New Years Eve Caribbean Cruise 2022

Crew News

we were on the last sailing before your's.  Note that around day 4 or 5, all the Lido coffee areas were out of Splenda for the rest of the cruise (we persevered using Equal).  

We were not that crazy about the bossche bol at GDC--but their apple pie is awesome.  If they can warm it up, that would take it to the next level.

We noticed that when we did k-dam over Christmas 5 years ago, the tv had many movies and also many on-demand tv shows.  I guess something changed b/c there are no more on-demand tv shows.

On day one, wife and daughter got sandwiches at NYDP and they forgot to ask for extra meat--but their sandwiches actually had a decent amount, probably over an inch of meat (tapering off a bit toward the edges).  But it never hurts to ask for extra of course.  

Consider stockpiling the chocolate croissants if you like them.  They tend to disappear quicker than the others.  Enjoy your sailing.  I greatly enjoyed it.  I went in worried about tremendous cutbacks but IMO the fears were unfounded (we do not do the specialty dining, did 3 nights in MDR, the rest in lido).

On 12/29/2022 at 7:27 AM, jimbob22 said:

just our opinion, corroborated by a couple of random plates I saw that had hollowed out carcasses on them: the bossche bol at GDC is 'ok' but did not knock our socks off.  The chocolate layer is a dark, but not strongly flavored, chocolate frosting, then an average dough layer (hard to cut through, not really like eclair dough) and the cream was just whipped cream, not a custard.  So it was not bad by any means--but it had been built up like the holy grail.

We did find the apple pie in the GDC case to be excellent (would be even better warmed up, we didn't inquire about this).  And there was some marble cake in there that looked excellent, but we did not try it.  It would be nice if they had brown water (i.e. 'coffee') dispensers at GDC.  I did get the fruit pancake ( a rolled crepe with blueberry/raspberry type fruit in it).  It was good, but holy cow it was like a 30 minute wait...GDC seemed to be 'less noticed' on our k-dam cruise 5 years ago.

At least you got the fruit pancake! On our recent NS cruise they never had any and the bols ran out by 12!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TexasBrit said:

At least you got the fruit pancake! On our recent NS cruise they never had any and the bols ran out by 12!

currently on rotterdam, they do replenish the bols a few times, so it was not hard to get one.   I guess that the harder they are to get, the more incredible the passengers say they are.  

• Haha 1

Since we share a love for the Fruit Crisps are they available, by request, nightly? On your website you list a 10-day menu and a 11-day menu, what do they use for a 12-day cruise? We have a 12-day partial Panama Canal cruise booked on the Rotterdam.  

3 hours ago, jimbob22 said:

currently on rotterdam, they do replenish the bols a few times, so it was not hard to get one.   I guess that the harder they are to get, the more incredible the passengers say they are.  

When I asked why certain items were either not available at all or ran out very early, I was told that they were not supplied with sufficient, or in the case of the berry pancakes any, of the ingredients to last all day the entire cruise! I heard that people eventually were lining even up before the GDC opened in order to be sure to get one of the bols.

20 hours ago, Trapper44 said:

Since we share a love for the Fruit Crisps are they available, by request, nightly? On your website you list a 10-day menu and a 11-day menu, what do they use for a 12-day cruise? We have a 12-day partial Panama Canal cruise booked on the Rotterdam.  

I will inquire.

12 hours ago, oakridger said:

I think the Rotterdam is a beaut ship and I very much enjoyed the staff, but 2900 passengers sound like my worst nightmare!  No holiday cruises for me.

~Nancy

I was spoiled last New Years Eve cruise and did not foresee the post-COVID passenger surge for this cruise.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Crew News said:

My apologies for not keeping this thread up to date but a few missed meds took its toll and then laptop issues reduced my efficiency.  I will do my best to catch up soon as well as post all menus.

I was beginning to get worried. Hope all is well for you soon.  

On 12/31/2022 at 4:16 PM, Crew News said:

I will inquire.

After 4 days of inquiry, nobody aboard had heard of a 12-Day Panama Canal partial cruise on the Rotterdam.  I do see a 12-Day one year from now.  My HAL menus are only for the current season.  Check back next year.

18 hours ago, Crew News said:

My apologies for not keeping this thread up to date but a few missed meds took its toll and then laptop issues reduced my efficiency.  I will do my best to catch up soon as well as post all menus.

Thanks for your report.  We appreciate everything you do.

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

After 4 days of inquiry, nobody aboard had heard of a 12-Day Panama Canal partial cruise on the Rotterdam.  I do see a 12-Day one year from now.  My HAL menus are only for the current season.  Check back next year.

Thank You for asking. Our cruise is October of 2023. 

Day 3 was the Meet & Greet for my roll call with 13 members present. Our provided cookies were located outside of our assigned location, so they were enjoyed by passersby.

The Pinnacle Grill lunch was next on my agenda where our waiter, Andi, helped me remember the name of a former PG waiter Francisco. The burger seemed a bit smaller and there was no extra charges for a second appetizer. 

My bar menu searches during the afternoon revealed that the bar menus have not changed since last year.

Dinner in the PG was diminished for me due to cancellation of lavosh bread throughout the fleet.  The restaurant was only 60% filled during my meal and matching the fill rate of other Specialty restaurants. For this cruise. Our waiter, Andi, from the earlier PG lunch, spent more time at our table discussing the old HAL cruises with us.

At the end of Day 3, I verified that the “Maverick” movie was still on the Jan 2d Navigator event schedule and my phone. Visions of buttered popcorn and dog-fighting jets danced in my head in anticipation of the long-awaited Top Gun Sequel.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 7

@Crew NewsThanks for your very helpful research on Holland America cruising.  We’ll be sailing on the Koningsdam in February and specialty restaurants are not available for booking on Valentine’s Day.  Do you know why?  Are they not serving, will they be available to book onboard, will they have something special in those venues?  🤔

7 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Thinking of you Roger and hoping all is well. 

My apologies for the long delay,  I hope to end my posting tomorrow.  Real whirlwind visiting daughter and granddaughter in Disney World with little free time.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Crew News said:

My apologies for the long delay,  I hope to end my posting tomorrow.  Real whirlwind visiting daughter and granddaughter in Disney World with little free time.

So glad you got to visit them even if it was a whirlwind!   Totally understand how tiring it can be, lol.