How convenient...tried to prepay tips for April cruise...

KKB

I went through this two days ago for two cruises... kept getting multiple error messages (requiring signing out and re-signing into my account) but kept at it and eventually got it to work.

It was unnecessarily arduous, but I'm pretty tenacious... good luck!

4 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why is Saturday relevant?

Some people think that since the change goes into effect on Sunday they need to pre-pay before Sunday.  But, as pointed out by someone else, those of us that read the entire message from NCL know that is not the case - we can pre-pay as late as 2 days before the cruise and still pay the old rate.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why is Saturday relevant?

Some people are misinterpreting the timing rules for the increase in DSC's and think they need to pay them before the end of the year.

As someone mentioned, as long as you booked your cruise under the old DSC rates, you get that lower rate AS LONG AS YOU PRE-PAY BEFORE YOUR CRUISE.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, hallux said:

Some people think that since the change goes into effect on Sunday they need to pre-pay before Sunday.  But, as pointed out by someone else, those of us that read the entire message from NCL know that is not the case - we can pre-pay as late as 2 days before the cruise and still pay the old rate.

I also don't trust NCL further than I can spit (and I'm bad at spitting), so I prepaid when the announcement came out. Yes @ChiefMateJRK I gave NCL a loan to hold them over from bankruptcy until my March cruise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I also don't trust NCL further than I can spit (and I'm bad at spitting), so I prepaid when the announcement came out. Yes @ChiefMateJRK I gave NCL a loan to hold them over from bankruptcy until my March cruise.

That was real nice of you, but I really don't understand why you're directing this to me.  Help me out.  You don't trust NCL further than you can spit so you gave them an interest free loan that you didn't have to?  That doesn't make much sense.

36 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I felt the same way... would rather just take care of it now and avoid an argument/headache later with a rep who was just hired or didn't understand the timing and nuances.  Just because NCL is supposed to honor the lower priced DSC (if it applies to your cruise) as long as you pay two days before you sail, doesn't mean they will when the time comes.  And I feel the further away we get from the recent announcement, the more confusing it will be to the reps/NCL's web site and easier to screw up.  Better safe than sorry.

Edited by lgdesign
  • Like 1

Would still like to know why the website is being so wonky and problematic these days for those who are trying to prepay the DSC online (for whatever their personal reasons are).  Was also being finicky for other things I was trying to purchase for my reservation.

Edited by lgdesign

21 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That was real nice of you, but I really don't understand why you're directing this to me.  Help me out.  You don't trust NCL further than you can spit so you gave them an interest free loan that you didn't have to?  That doesn't make much sense.

You always hate paying prepaid gratuities. Or, am I thinking of someone else? 

15 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

Would still like to know why the website is being so wonky and problematic these days for those who are trying to prepay the DSC online (for whatever their personal reasons are).  Was also being finicky for other things I was trying to purchase for my reservation.

Their payment portals were down for a period over the holiday and there are still wonky issues. Ask your travel agent- they’ll tell you that NCL couldn’t process any payments that they were trying to submit for a couple of days. Likely related. 

or try a different device/browser. I went from app to desktop and was able to get my spa appointments booked when the app kept crashing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

AH...yes, I didn't see that...just as well, apparently the payment DID go thru...

Oh, well, they are PAID

26 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

You always hate paying prepaid gratuities. Or, am I thinking of someone else? 

Thanks.  I am one of several who report that we don't pay them until we have to, or it is otherwise advantageous.  "Hate" is probably not the right word.  Historically, I've just let them post to the on-board account, even if they've gone up a buck or so.  Now, we're taking longer cruises and in some cases the increase per person per day will exceed $4.  That's over $80 for a ten day cruise for two.  In that case, I'll prepay them a week before sail date.  I believe my next cruise was booked when the DSC was $15.50.  That cruise is well past final payment and when I review it on NCL.com, I still have the option to prepay at the $15.50 per day.  I don't believe the recent increase changed how this worked.

I do enjoy letting them accrue on-board so that if I have a prepaid SHOREX cancellation it's unlikely I'll be among the miserable throng who have to wait for hours in a line to get their cash refunds (hyperbole intended). 😃

1 hour ago, AtlantaAlly said:

Their payment portals were down for a period over the holiday and there are still wonky issues. Ask your travel agent- they’ll tell you that NCL couldn’t process any payments that they were trying to submit for a couple of days. Likely related. 

or try a different device/browser. I went from app to desktop and was able to get my spa appointments booked when the app kept crashing.

Most likely, NCL's software was written by the same outfit that created SWA's crew scheduling software! 🤪

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, lgdesign said:

Would still like to know why the website is being so wonky and problematic these days for those who are trying to prepay the DSC online ... 

... perhaps, partially associated with that 9% reduction in back office workforce announced ?? 

It is - I suspect - NOT just machine intelligence being impacted, rather it has to do with them not responding to an assigned Case Number (2nd. request) that I'm not going off-topic.  And, it's holiday & year-end vacat' time, LOL with a skeletal staff.