R Class Obstructed OV Cabin Locations

NCTribeFan

I booked 3401 on Volendam for Hawaii next fall.  It was a "free upgrade" from an interior (which I almost always book).  I'd prefer to be more midship and see now that I can have a partially-obstructed (rather than "fully obstructed") for the same fare.

My concern is that the midship cabins appear to be under the galley.  I'm pretty much an early-to-bed, early-to-rise person although I do stay up later when I'm cruising but rarely sleep later than 6:30 in the morning despite the later nights.

I'm a fairly light sleeper and noise will wake me.  I use a white noise machine.

I've read that people have had problems with noise from rolling carts and banging pots and pans very early.  I know I absolutely will not book under a pool area because of dragging deck chairs, but will the galley be as much of an issue?

I'm mildly concerned with the aft location in a smaller ship out in the Pacific but I don't want to move cabins and then not be able to sleep due to noise.

Thanks all!

So you want your cake and eat it too, lol. I always travel with good foam earplugs, which BTW have to be inserted exactly accroding to the directions or they don't work as well as they should. Also, I  bring a good quality sleep mask. Even a high-end cabin could possibly have noises we never would have anticipated. 

Edited by BobbiSox
typo

Yes, I do want it all! 😁

I'm a huge fan of the J cabins on the Vista and Signature class.  IF I can get one starboard side away from BB Kings and not so far forward that's close to the piano bar.

So, ideally, lower & midship to avoid motion issues AND quiet.  I'm not a nice person if I'm sleep deprived.  Ear plugs don't work well for me.  Just amplifies my "internal" noises!

Looking at the deck plan, it appears 3401 is under the entry way of the dining room (near the ladies room).  I don’t think you’ll have a lot of issues with noise.  The section of rooms forward of here (between the aft and midships elevator banks) are under the galley, and would probably be subject to noise from above.

Yes, I'm thinking I should just keep 3401 although I'd prefer more midship.  I don't really need the "partially-obstructed" as opposed to the "fully obstructed" since I actually prefer inside cabins (I want it totally dark despite waking fairly early.

I don't have the motion sickness issues I had when I first started sailing.  I swear Ginger Root cured me.  Either that or I sailed enough that my inner ear finally realized that there was nothing to get too worked up about after all.  Still, I don't really want to spend all those sea days feeling queasy.  Not really sure whether moving forward a bit on the same deck on a ship this size will make that much difference anyway.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Yes, I'm thinking I should just keep 3401 although I'd prefer more midship.  I don't really need the "partially-obstructed" as opposed to the "fully obstructed" since I actually prefer inside cabins (I want it totally dark despite waking fairly early.

I don't have the motion sickness issues I had when I first started sailing.  I swear Ginger Root cured me.  Either that or I sailed enough that my inner ear finally realized that there was nothing to get too worked up about after all.  Still, I don't really want to spend all those sea days feeling queasy.  Not really sure whether moving forward a bit on the same deck on a ship this size will make that much difference anyway.

The inside cabins on the r class are perfectly fine and I regret my DH pushing for the obstructed OV on our next cruise.   I am sorely tempted to move back. 

We've been on VD right below MDR.  We were right where the entrance was where the servers gather the food, but to the inside of the MDR where the guest's tables are and we experienced no noise.  I think 3401 is going to work out for you.   

• Thanks 1

I haven't cruised much since cruising resumed after covid, but from what I saw on my one cruise, and what I have seen on threads showing dailies on others' cruises, the 'late' show ends fairly early these days. Unless I was going to bed very early, I wouldn't be too concerned. 
However, if the late show on your cruise starts/ends later, or does overlap with your normal cruise bedtime, then you have good reason to be concerned. Also, if you are interested in napping in the afternoon, then that's the time rehearsals are typically held. 

I would contact my TA and see if HAL can switch you to something that would be a better fit if the shows are likely to interfere with your sleep time.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 5:27 AM, NCTribeFan said:

... My concern is that the midship cabins appear to be under the galley...

I'm mildly concerned with the aft location in a smaller ship out in the Pacific but I don't want to move cabins and then not be able to sleep due to noise.

The H cabins 3372-3380 were quiet. 

Edited by crystalspin

That's good to know.  I'm leaning toward keeping 3401.  I think I'd rather risk the possibility of "some" movement that far aft than risk having all-night noise above me for 18 nights!

I have plenty of time to obsess about whether to change. 😄