A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

19 hours ago, mysty said:

I don't remember any overnights that departed at 1:00 pm on the 2nd day on the 2019.  We have four that leave early afternoon on the 2024.

On a very quick review, I think 2023 has about 10 early afternoon second day departures.  Grrrrr!

35 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

On a very quick review, I think 2023 has about 10 early afternoon second day departures.  Grrrrr!

Turtle, was this the schedule originally or did it get adjusted as you sailed?  I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing multiple disappointments for overnights.  😒

This would be our first visit to Fiji.

Fiji - Fiji officially the Republic of Fiji, is an island country in Melanesia, part of Oceania in the South Pacific Ocean. It lies about 1,100 nautical miles (2,000 km; 1,300 mi) northeast of New Zealand. Fiji consists of an archipelago of more than 330 islands—of which about 110 are permanently inhabited—and more than 500 islets, amounting to a total land area of about 18,300 square kilometres (7,100 sq mi). The most outlying island group is Ono-i-Lau. About 87% of the total population of 924,610 live on the two major islands, Viti Levu and Vanua Levu. About three-quarters of Fijians live on Viti Levu's coasts: either in the capital city of Suva; or in smaller urban centres such as Nadi—where tourism is the major local industry; or in Lautoka, where the sugar-cane industry is dominant. The interior of Viti Levu is sparsely inhabited because of its terrain.

Savusavu is a town in the Fijian Province of Cakaudrove. The town is located on the south coast of Vanua Levu Island and had a population of 3,372 in the 2007 census. Savusavu is known as "the hidden paradise of Fiji."  It's famous for its hot springs, located mostly opposite the Hot Springs Hotel – although at low tide you can see the steam from numerous smaller outlets all along the foreshore. In late 19th century these hot springs for a period of two months turned into 12 – 18 m tall geysers.

Lautoka - Lautoka is the second largest city in Fiji. It is on the west coast of the island of Viti Levu, in the Ba Province of the Western Division. Lying in the heart of Fiji's sugar cane-growing region, the city has come to be known as the Sugar City. Covering an area of 32 square kilometers, it had a population of 71,573 at the 2017 census, the most recent to date.

fifi.JPG.c3d24d5227be38934c469d803ad3d185.JPG

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mysty said:

Turtle, was this the schedule originally or did it get adjusted as you sailed?  I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing multiple disappointments for overnights.  😒

I'm much less organised than you! Don't know lol

• Haha 1

There would be 5 new ports in New Zealand for us on segment 2.

Gisborne, New Zealand - Gisborne is a city in northeastern New Zealand and the largest settlement in the Gisborne District (or Gisborne Region). It has a population of 37,300 (June 2021).  Gisborne is a city on the east coast of New Zealand’s North Island. It’s known for wineries and surf beaches such as Makorori. The Tairawhiti Museum has exhibits on indigenous and colonial history, with Wyllie Cottage, an early European house, and Maori artefacts. Titirangi Reserve has lookouts and a monument to explorer James Cook. Nearby, Te Poho-o-Rawiri is a Maori meeting house with carvings of ancestral figures.

Akaroa, New Zealand - Akaroa is a town on the Banks Peninsula, southeast of Christchurch, New Zealand on the South Island.  Akaroa Beach is on the eastern shore of Akaroa Harbour, where rare Hector’s dolphins swim. The Akaroa Museum includes 3 heritage buildings and chronicles the town’s development, especially its 19th-century British and French colonial history. The Giant’s House has terraced gardens and features colourful sculptures and mosaics.  The population as of 2013 was 624.

Kaikoura, New Zealand - Kaikōura is a town on the east coast of the South Island of New Zealand. It is located on State Highway 1, 180 km north of Christchurch. The town has an estimated permanent resident population of 2,420 (as of June 2021).   It’s known for its abundant wildlife and its sperm whale population. The Kaikoura Peninsula Walkway winds from the town centre to lookout points at Point Kean. Close by, the rock platforms are home to a colony of New Zealand fur seals. The 1800s Fyffe House is a cottage built on a foundation of whalebones, with displays on the town’s whaling past.

Nelson, New Zealand -  Nelson is a city on the eastern shores of Tasman Bay. Nelson is the oldest city in the South Island and the second-oldest settled city in New Zealand – it was established in 1841 and became a city by royal charter in 1858.  The Nelson urban area has a population of 51,100, making it New Zealand's 15th most populous urban area.   It's known for local arts and crafts stores, and art galleries. It's also a popular base for nearby caving sites, vineyards and Abel Tasman National Park. Established by English settlers in 1841, the city's history is showcased at Founders Heritage Park, a living museum with a vintage railway. 

New Plymouth, New Zealand - New Plymouth is the major city of the Taranaki region on the west coast of the North Island of New Zealand. It is named after the English city of Plymouth, Devon from where the first English settlers to New Plymouth migrated. The New Plymouth District, which includes New Plymouth City and several smaller towns, is the 10th largest district (out of 67) in New Zealand, and has a population of 87,700 – about two-thirds of the total population of the Taranaki Region and 1.7% of New Zealand's population. This includes New Plymouth City (58,500), Waitara (7,310), Inglewood (3,830), Ōakura (1,720), Ōkato (561) and Urenui (429).   Notable features are the botanic garden (i.e. Pukekura Park), the critically acclaimed Len Lye Centre and Art Gallery, the 13 km (8.1 mi) New Plymouth Coastal Walkway alongside the Tasman Sea, the Len Lye-designed 45-metre-tall (148 ft) artwork known as the Wind Wand, Paritutu Rock, and views of Mount Taranaki.

Capture.JPG.8e4186610e15dd9c95f81178905a1f35.JPG

5 hours ago, mysty said:

Capture.JPG.8e4186610e15dd9c95f81178905a1f35.JPG

The person who drew that map needs to buy a new compass! In particular, Akaroa and Napier have moved a fair way. Maybe there was another earthquake? That said, there are some wonderful NZ ports included which you'll love.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

The person who drew that map needs to buy a new compass! In particular, Akaroa and Napier have moved a fair way. Maybe there was another earthquake? That said, there are some wonderful NZ ports included which you'll love.

The map was snipped from the Silversea page for the segment 2 of the cruise.  I should have checked it against a real map before I posted it!  My bad!!!

Thanks for your recommendation of the New Zealand ports!  We're really looking forward to exploring new places!

For the person who talked about malaria medication (I can’t find the original post) I took Malarone while I was in Tanzania, starting 2 days before I left and for 2 weeks after I got home.  I didn’t have any side effects with it.  I had read that one of the other drugs (Chloroquine?) gave people wild dreams.  Having been on Doxycycline a number of times for Lyme Disease, I can’t recommend it if you plan on being in the sun at all.  It can give you a chemical burn.  Plus it can be hard on the stomach.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JoGay said:

For the person who talked about malaria medication (I can’t find the original post) I took Malarone while I was in Tanzania, starting 2 days before I left and for 2 weeks after I got home.  I didn’t have any side effects with it.  I had read that one of the other drugs (Chloroquine?) gave people wild dreams.  Having been on Doxycycline a number of times for Lyme Disease, I can’t recommend it if you plan on being in the sun at all.  It can give you a chemical burn.  Plus it can be hard on the stomach.

Thank you JoGay!  I don't think the post you are referencing regarding a malaria medication was in this thread.   I certainly don't remember it here.  I did a search on this thread and the only hit was from your post above.  It may have been in a different thread you were following. 

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

It might have been, which is why I couldn’t find it.  Does anyone know about taking malaria drugs while in SE Asia?  It doesn’t look any of our ports are high risk for malaria.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoGay said:

It might have been, which is why I couldn’t find it.  Does anyone know about taking malaria drugs while in SE Asia?  It doesn’t look any of our ports are high risk for malaria.

Our ports are not on any alert list for malaria.  The only ports we were advised of for 2019 were the ports in Africa.  I don't think this is an issue for us.

We would have 4 new ports in  Australia and 1 new port in Indonesia for segment 3.

Mooloolaba, Australia - Mooloolaba is a coastal suburb of Maroochydore in the Sunshine Coast Region, Queensland, Australia.  It is located 97 kilometres (60 mi) north of the state capital, Brisbane, and is part of the Maroochydore urban centre. In the 2016 census, Mooloolaba had a population of 7,730 people.  There’s a handful of patrolled beaches around here ideal for taking a dip. Mooloolaba Main Beach is favoured by families, while nudging Alexandra Headland tempts surfers with its reliable waves. Post-swim, satisfy hunger pangs along the main drag, making the most of the bounty of cosmopolitan cafes, restaurants, and bars that populate the stretch. Mooloolaba is home to the largest trawling fleet in the region and boasts a strong boating community, making fruits of the sea a local delicacy. Tuck into prawns fresh from the trawler, or a hefty serving of traditional fish and chips from one of the many beachside vendors.

Fraser Island, Australia - K’gari (also known as Fraser Island) is a World Heritage-listed island along the south-eastern coast in the Wide Bay–Burnett region, Queensland, Australia. The island is approximately 250 kilometers (160 mi) north of the state capital, Brisbane, and is within the Fraser Coast Region local government area. The world heritage listing includes the island, its surrounding waters and parts of the nearby mainland. The island is about 123 kilometers (76 mi) long and 22 kilometers (14 mi) wide.  The island is considered to be the largest sand island in the world at 1,840 square kilometers (710 sq mi).  It is also Queensland's largest island, Australia's sixth largest island and the largest island on the east coast of Australia.  At the 2011 census, Fraser Island had a population of 194 people.

Airlie Beach, Australia -  Airlie Beach is a coastal locality in the Whitsunday Region of Queensland, Australia.  In the 2016 census, Airlie Beach had a population of 1,208 people.  Airlie Beach is just north of Mackay and south of Townsville on Australia’s east coast – an ideal launching pad to the sparkling waters of the Whitsundays, the iconic Whitehaven Beach, the Coral Sea, and the tourism playground that is the Great Barrier Reef. Despite its commercialization in the region over recent years, the town still boasts a relaxed yet touristy ambiance, with lots of things to see and do.

Broome (Kimberley), Australia -  Broome, also known as Rubibi by the Yawuru people, is a coastal, pearling and tourist town in the Kimberley region of Western Australia, 1,681 km (1,045 mi) north of Perth. In the 2021 census the population was recorded as 14,660.  It is the largest town in the Kimberley region.  Broome is a beach resort town in western Australia’s Kimberley region. Along its Indian Ocean coastline, the white sands of 22km-long Cable Beach offer a dramatic backdrop for sunset camel rides. At Gantheaume Point nearby, dinosaur tracks are revealed in the beach’s red rocks during low tide. Broome’s historic Chinatown overlooks Roebuck Bay, a jumping off point for cruises to local pearl farms.

Lembar Lombok, Indonesia - Lembar port (Lembar Harbor) is a major Indonesian seaport located on the Lombok Island's southwest coast. The port has shipping facilities and wharves (berths). Lembar port is approx 22 km (14 mi) south of Mataram.  Lombok Island is roughly circular, with Sekotong Peninsula located to the southwest, approx 70 km (43 mi) from Lembar. The island has total area approx 4514 sq km (1743 sq mi) and population over 3,3 million.  Tourism is among the island's most important sources of income. Lombok's west coast is the most developed tourism area with modern facilities. This region is centered around Senggigi. The west coast tourist area features over 30 km (19 ml) of coastline paralleled by a coastal road running between Mataram and Ampenan.  This well-developed tourism region extends to Tanjung (northwest) located near Mt Rinjani. It includes also the peninsulas Sire and Medana and the Gili Islands (located very close offshore). The three Gili Islands are usually accessed by tour boats leaving from Bangsal. also from Teluk Nare or Senggigi.

I hope this map is closer to reality than the first map I posted for the New Zealand ports.  I did a quick look-see and it seemed reasonable to my uneducated eye.

Capture.JPG.4749b9c9e90d5ff6caaceb3ec44979b6.JPG

• Like 3

The first part of our (hopefully) upcoming adventure will be a Holiday Season cruise from Bridgetown to San Francisco.  One of the ports on this cruise is St Kitts and Nevis.  Today I stumbled upon an interesting article about becoming a “rummelier" in St Kitts.

https://www.insideottawavalley.com/community-story/10869899-i-became-a-rummelier-in-st-kitts-here-s-how-it-went/?s=n1?source=newsletter&utm_content=a09&utm_source=ml_nl&utm_medium=email&utm_email=75B71080306A145BF27406796A6EDF70&utm_campaign=ovha_148846

Snippets from the article.......

"As more of a connoisseur of fine spirits than fine wines, I was intrigued to learn I could become a “rummelier” in St. Kitts.

The Caribbean island recently launched its Kittitian RumMaster program, which includes expert-led practical and theoretical courses at two distilleries. In the one-day tour, you’ll better understand the complex history of the spirit, create your own spiced rum and study the science of mixing rum-based cocktails.

The production of rum is deeply connected to the history that has shaped the two-island nation of St. Kitts and Nevis.

The home of the first British and French colonies in the Caribbean, St. Kitts has a complicated history, rooted in slavery. When Christopher Columbus sailed to St. Kitts in 1493 — which was then inhabited by the Carib people — he named it St. Christopher, which was shortened to St. Kitt’s by English settlers, who established a colony on the island’s west coast. The French established their own colony in 1627. Divided between the French and English in the 17th century, the island was given to Britain; St. Kitts and Nevis achieved independence only in 1983.

By 1775, with 200 estates and 68 sugar plantations producing the “white gold,” St. Kitts became known as Sugar City, and was one of the wealthiest British colonies at the time. The abundant sugar production led to abundant rum production.

Of course, you don’t need to enroll in a course to experience rum on St. Kitts. At the Four Seasons Resort Nevis, mixologist Kendie Williams generously pours tastings of notable foreign brands like El Dorado and Zacapa, along with Brinley Gold Shipwreck. You can also sample the hotel’s own (and very rare) Crowned Monkey Rum — only one barrel of it was produced.

Whatever you do, make time for the lively Sunshine’s Beach Bar & Grill, which has served up its famous Killer Bee rum punch for 30 years in Nevis. The cocktail comes with a warning from just about every local: be careful. I take one sip of my Baby Bee (I asked for a small serving) and understand why — two of these babies and I’d surely be under the table.

How to become a certified “rummelier”

The Kittitian RumMaster program is a three-hour tour, $150 (U.S.) per person, offered weekly (Wednesdays). After you’re tutored in rum tradition and technique at the two distilleries, you’ll receive a certificate of completion. To sign up, visit “The Joys of Rum” on https://www.stkittstourism.kn/stay-dine/joys-of-rum

There is an "included" excursion available for Basseterre that would provide rum tastings.....

CULINARY EXPERIENCE & RUM TASTING (BAS-B)
St. Kitts (Basseterre), St Kitts and Nevis
Unlock the secret to preparing West Indian cuisine during this flavourful culinary demonstration and tasting at the Fairview Great House. Your half-day excursion takes place at this wonderful, early-18th-century property, Enjoy a cooking demonstration and sampling of West Indian cuisine, with some free time at your leisure. Points of interest seen on this excursion include: Port Zante, Caribbean Sea, Olivees Mountain, Fairview Great House, Botanical Garden, West Indian Cooking Demonstration and Tasting, Free Time, Gift Shop

Discover the history and wonderful flavours of West Indian cuisine, which blends Old and New World cooking with African, European and Indian influences. In addition, taste several flavors of rum; hear the history of where rum came from in the Caribbean and how Caribbean people made their own rum. Hear stories of when the Irish settled on St. Kitts and the rum legacies they left with us and how and where rum drinking has evolved on the island. Afterward, sample the dishes accompanied by homemade refreshments, and receive complimentary copies of the recipes used to prepare them.

• Like 1

We would have 4 new ports in segment 4.  1 in Indonesia, 2 in Malaysia and 1 in Vietnam.

Semarang (Gateway for Borobodur), Indonesia -  Semarang is the capital and largest city of Central Java province in Indonesia. It was a major port during the Dutch colonial era, and is still an important regional center and port today. The city has been named as the cleanest tourist destination in Southeast Asia by the ASEAN Clean Tourist City Standard (ACTCS) for 2020–2022.

It has an area of 373.78 sq km (144.32 sq mi) and is located at 6°58′S 110°25′E. The population of the city was 1,555,984 at the 2010 census and 1,653,524 at the 2020 census, making it Indonesia's ninth most populous city after Jakarta, Surabaya, Bekasi, Bandung, Medan, Depok, Tangerang and Palembang. The built-up urban area had 3,183,516 inhabitants at the 2010 census spread over two cities and 26 districts. The Semarang metropolitan area (a.k.a. Kedungsepur) has a population of over 6 million in 2020. The population of the city is predominantly Javanese with significant Chinese presence.

Borobudur is a 9th-century Mahayana Buddhist temple in Magelang Regency, not far from the town of Muntilan, in Central Java, Indonesia. It is the world's largest Buddhist temple. The temple consists of nine stacked platforms, six square and three circular, topped by a central dome. It is decorated with 2,672 relief panels and originally 504 Buddha statues. The central dome is surrounded by 72 Buddha statues, each seated inside a perforated stupa.

Built in the 9th century during the reign of the Sailendra Dynasty, the temple design follows Javanese Buddhist architecture, which blends the Indonesian indigenous tradition of ancestor worship and the Buddhist concept of attaining nirvāṇa. The temple demonstrates the influences of Gupta art that reflects India's influence on the region, yet there are enough indigenous scenes and elements incorporated to make Borobudur uniquely Indonesian.  

There will be a World Cruise event in this port...an overnight.   "This one night overland gives World Cruisers the chance to imbibe in Indonesian heritage, enjoy a religious procession, dine under the stars and enjoy the sunrise at the world's biggest Buddhist monument!" 

Kuching, Malaysia  -    Kuching, officially the City of Kuching, is the capital and the most populous city in the state of Sarawak in Malaysia.  It is also the capital of Kuching Division. The city is on the Sarawak River at the southwest tip of the state of Sarawak on the island of Borneo and covers an area of 431 square kilometres (166 sq mi) with a population about 165,642 in the Kuching North administrative region and 159,490 in the Kuching South administrative region —a total of 325,132 people.

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia - Kota Kinabalu, colloquially referred to as KK, is the state capital of Sabah, Malaysia. It is also the capital of the Kota Kinabalu District as well as the West Coast Division of Sabah. The city is located on the northwest coast of Borneo facing the South China Sea. The Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park lies to its west and Mount Kinabalu, which gave the city its name, is located to its east. Kota Kinabalu has a population of 452,058 according to the 2010 census; when the adjacent Penampang and Putatan districts are included, the metro area has a combined population of 628,725.  It’s a coastal city partly surrounded by rainforest. It's known for its bustling markets, modern boardwalk, beaches and waterfront Kota Kinabalu City Mosque. It is also a gateway to Kinabalu National Park, the home of 4,095m-high Mount Kinabalu.

Chan May (Hue/Danang), Vietnam - Chan May Port is located in the south-east corner of Thừa Thiên–Huế Province, Vietnam.  
Huế is the capital of Thừa Thiên Huế province in central Vietnam and was the capital of Đàng Trong from 1738 to 1775 and of Vietnam during the Nguyễn dynasty from 1802 to 1945. The city served as the old Imperial City and administrative capital for the Nguyễn dynasty and later functioned as the administrative capital of the protectorate of Annam during the French Indochina period. It contains a UNESCO-designated site, the Complex of Huế Monuments, which is a popular tourist attraction. Alongside its moat and thick stone walls the complex encompasses the Imperial City of Huế, with palaces and shrines; the Forbidden Purple City, once the emperor's home; and a replica of the Royal Theater. Nearly 4.2 million visitors had visited the city in 2019 and many of its historic landmarks are still undergoing restoration.
Da Nang or Danang is a class-1 municipality and the fifth-largest city in Vietnam by municipal population.  It lies on the coast of the South China Sea at the mouth of the Hàn River, and is one of Vietnam's most important port cities. As one of the country's five direct-controlled municipalities, it falls under the administration of the central government.

Da Nang is the commercial and educational centre of Central Vietnam and is the largest city in the region. It has a well-sheltered, easily accessible port, and its location on National Route 1 and the North–South Railway makes it a transport hub. It is within 100 km (62 mi) of several UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including the Imperial City of Huế, the Old Town of Hội An, and the Mỹ Sơn ruins. It's a popular base for visiting the inland Bà Nà hills to the west of the city. Here the hillside Hải Vân Pass has views of Da Nang Bay and the Marble Mountains. These 5 limestone outcrops are topped with pagodas and hide caves containing Buddhist shrines. 

seg4.JPG.a3313d724b1089a1d768bdaf12bdd9b2.JPG

• Like 1

@jollyjones  The offered excursions are not yet posted for Apia.   Would you please be kind enough to share from your font of knowledge what would be an interesting excursion to look for when the options do show up?  You did have a wonderful find! 😁

Sorry, as per usual I didn’t do a ship excursion, I just walked into town and wandered around. 
Can’t say I particularly recommend it though, it is a fair trek in very hot and humid conditions- I’m used to that sort of weather so I wasn’t too bothered but it could be a strain if you’re not. The main problem is that there isn’t much to see when you get to town. 
There was supposed to be a bit of a beach in the other direction from the port, I wished I’d gone there, at least I could have had a bit of a paddle. 
But I probably would have been disappointed - beaches in the South Pacific generally are rubbish compared to Bermuda or the Caribbean, although I accept that my standards are very high, given where I live. 
The picture is actually in American Samoa but it’s representative, and they really thought of it as a beautiful beach. 

DB24469A-D84D-407F-AC89-70E94E846BB3.jpeg

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1