A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

18 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Sorry, as per usual I didn’t do a ship excursion, I just walked into town and wandered around. 
Can’t say I particularly recommend it though, it is a fair trek in very hot and humid conditions- I’m used to that sort of weather so I wasn’t too bothered but it could be a strain if you’re not. The main problem is that there isn’t much to see when you get to town. 
There was supposed to be a bit of a beach in the other direction from the port, I wished I’d gone there, at least I could have had a bit of a paddle. 
But I probably would have been disappointed - beaches in the South Pacific generally are rubbish compared to Bermuda or the Caribbean, although I accept that my standards are very high, given where I live. 
The picture is actually in American Samoa but it’s representative, and they really thought of it as a beautiful beach. 

DB24469A-D84D-407F-AC89-70E94E846BB3.jpeg

Thank you Ms Jones!  Having been to Bermuda but not yet the Caribbean,  I can understand your disappointment.   And I must apologize for using the "at" to get your attention.  I have been recently advised that you don't particularly care for that approach.  Duly noted!  And again, thank you for taking the time to respond!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Oh, don’t worry too much about the at thing, Stumbles does it just to poke fun at me. 
But I’m afraid downtown Apia was not amazingly wonderful, even with policemen in skirts. 
Very friendly though. 

22C825DD-A46D-4D58-991B-39D54BCFFD12.jpeg

E8C1E219-07CE-43C9-82F9-FDAE83D89184.jpeg

78D038FE-A551-4B8C-85B8-55AD7C6D0D61.jpeg

CBFD105D-1DD3-4035-A12A-C50D47D651A3.jpeg

5963EA41-F187-4B93-ACDA-7808E2EA14C6.jpeg

Thank You!  The skirts are interesting!  I wonder how they run wearing one?  I certainly can't!  😅

• Like 1

We would have 2 new ports in segment 5.  1 in China and 1 in Japan.

Tianjin (Beijing), China - Tianjin, alternately Romanized as Tientsin is a municipality and a coastal metropolis in Northern China on the shore of the Bohai Sea. It is one of the nine national central cities in Mainland China, with a total population of 13,866,009 inhabitants during the 2020 Chinese census. Its built-up (or metro) area, made up of 12 central districts (all but Baodi, Jizhou, Jinghai and Ninghe), was home to 11,165,706 inhabitants and is also the world's 29th-largest agglomeration (between Chengdu and Rio de Janeiro) and 11th-most populous city proper.  It serves as the access to Bejing about 120 kilometers away.

Beijing, alternatively Romanized as Peking, is the capital of the People's Republic of China. It is the political center, cultural center, international communication center and scientific and technological innovation center of the country.  Beijing is the world's most populous national capital city, with over 21 million residents within an administrative area of 16,410.5 sq km (6336 sq. mi.).  Nevertheless, its built-up area, the third largest in China after Guangzhou and Shanghai, is slightly bigger, including three districts in Hebei (Sanhe, Dachang Hui and Zhuozhou) being conurbated but with Miyun and Pinggu Districts in Beijing not agglomerated yet.  It is located in Northern China, and is governed as a municipality under the direct administration of the State Council with 16 urban, suburban, and rural districts.  Beijing is mostly surrounded by Hebei Province with the exception of neighboring Tianjin to the southeast; together, the three divisions form the Jingjinji megalopolis and the national capital region of China.  Beijing, China’s sprawling capital, has history stretching back 3 millennia. Yet it’s known as much for modern architecture as its ancient sites such as the grand Forbidden City complex, the imperial palace during the Ming and Qing dynasties. Nearby, the massive Tiananmen Square pedestrian plaza is the site of Mao Zedong’s mausoleum and the National Museum of China, displaying a vast collection of cultural relics.

Hiroshima, Japan -  Hiroshima is the capital of Hiroshima Prefecture in Japan.  As of June 1, 2019, the city had an estimated population of 1,199,391. Hiroshima, a modern city on Japan’s Honshu Island, was largely destroyed by an atomic bomb during World War II. Today, Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park commemorates the 1945 event. In the park are the ruins of Genbaku Dome, one of the few buildings that was left standing near ground zero. Other prominent sites include Shukkei-en, a formal Japanese garden, and Hiroshima Castle, a fortress surrounded by a moat and a park. 

Capture.JPG.4a0132a0116da350321213fe072aa476.JPG

• Like 1

I had the honour of having a patient who was in Peking for the Boxer rebellion. Immortalised in the film 54 days in Peking.

He was all of 8 years old at the time. He was there because his father supervised the building of the railroad from the port to Peking. One day he brought in the teapot that the Last Empress gave his father in recognition of his services. Truly magnificent and I was allowed to hold it. So there is another of my claims to fame - I have held a teapot made for the Empress of China.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, drron29 said:

I had the honour of having a patient who was in Peking for the Boxer rebellion. Immortalised in the film 54 days in Peking.

He was all of 8 years old at the time. He was there because his father supervised the building of the railroad from the port to Peking. One day he brought in the teapot that the Last Empress gave his father in recognition of his services. Truly magnificent and I was allowed to hold it. So there is another of my claims to fame - I have held a teapot made for the Empress of China.

It's time to write your memoir drron!  Inquiring minds want to know!  🥰

• Like 1

We would have 10 new ports on segment 6.  8 in Japan and 2 in Alaska.

Shimizu - Until it was incorporated into Shizuoka City in 2003, Shimizu  was a city of its own centered around its port. Shimizu Port has a number of attractions but is most famous for being among Japan's most scenic ports thanks to views of Mount Fuji on clear days.  Sail into the Port of Shimizu and you will understand why it is considered one of Japan’s three most beautiful ports. The sight of Mount Fuji soaring above the surrounding area belies the fact that Shimizu is not only a scenic area, but a culturally significant one as well. In addition to Fuji, registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2013, the area also overlooks Miho-no-Matsubara, a pine tree grove included as one of the World Heritage’s constituent properties. These assets combine with the area’s moderate climate to mark the port as one of Japan’s prime sightseeing destinations.

Shimizu’s rich cultural heritage is rooted in the surrounding Shizuoka area’s history as the home of Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder of the Edo shogunate, following his retirement from government. A collection of historic buildings in the vicinity, such as Kunozan Toshogu Shrine (designated a National Treasure by the Japanese government), Sumpu Castle Park, and Shizuoka Sengen Shrine, depict a fascinating portrait of the life and accomplishments of this major historical figure. The Shizuoka area’s ancient culture is available not only for observation but for hands-on experience as well. At Sumpu Takumi-shuku, visitors can try their hand at making traditional Suruga handicrafts characteristic of the Shizuoka region, such as bamboo works, dyes, and lacquerware.

Kagoshima - Kagoshima City is the capital city of Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan. Located at the southwestern tip of the island of Kyushu, Kagoshima is the largest city in the prefecture by some margin. It has been nicknamed the "Naples of the Eastern world" for its bay location (Aira Caldera), hot climate, and emblematic stratovolcano, Sakurajima. The city was officially founded on April 1, 1889. It merged with Taniyama City on April 29, 1967 and with Yoshida Town, Sakurajima Town, Kiire Town, Matsumoto Town and Kōriyama Town on November 1, 2004.  It's best known for Sakurajima, an active volcano that faces Kinko Bay. At its base, the Nagisa Lava Trail winds through lava fields filled with boulders. Once set on an isolated island, the volcano became connected to the Osumi Peninsula after an eruption in 1914.

Kanazawa - Kanazawa is the capital city of Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan.  As of 1 January 2018, the city had an estimated population of 466,029 in 203,271 households, and a population density of 990 persons per sq km. The total area of the city was 468.64 square kilometres (180.94 sq mi).  It's known for well-preserved Edo-era districts, art museums and regional handicrafts. Kenrokuen Garden, begun in the 17th century, is celebrated for its classic landscape designs incorporating ponds and streams. Adjacent Kanazawa Castle was built in the 1580s, after the defeat of the Peasant’s Kingdom, Japan's only Buddhist fiefdom. 

Niigata - Niigata is a city located in the northern part of Niigata Prefecture.  It is the capital and the most populous city of Niigata Prefecture, and one of the cities designated by government ordinance of Japan, located in the Chūbu region of Japan. It is the most populous city on the west coast of Honshu, and the second populous city in Chūbu region after Nagoya. It faces the Sea of Japan and Sado Island. As of 1 September 2022, the city had an estimated population of 779,049, and a population density of 1,072 persons per sq km. The total area is 726.45 square kilometres (280.48 sq mi). Greater Niigata, the Niigata Metropolitan Employment Area, has a GDP of US$43.3 billion as of 2010.

Sakata - Sakata is a city located in Yamagata Prefecture, Japan.  As of 1 October 2015, the city had an estimated population of 106,244 in 39320 households, and a population density of 180 people per sq km. The total area of the city is 602.97 square kilometres (232.81 sq mi).   In the center, Sankyo Soko is a group of warehouses built in 1893. One now contains the Historical Museum of Shonai Rice. The Honma Museum of Art includes antiques displayed in a 19th-century villa. The Ken Domon Museum of Photography is dedicated to the revered social realist photographer. North of the city, trails lead to up Mount Chōkai volcano. 

Aomori -  Aomori is the capital city of Aomori Prefecture, in the Tōhoku region of Japan. As of 1 April 2020, the city had an estimated population of 278,964 in 136,457 households, and a population density of 340 people per square kilometer spread over the city's total area of 824.61 square kilometers (318.38 sq mi).  Aomori is one of Japan's 60 core cities and the core of the Aomori metropolitan area.  Every year, this northern prefectural capital is pummeled by heavy blizzards and ice storms, making Aomori one of the snowiest major cities on the planet and an intriguing travel choice.

Hakodate - is a city and port located in Oshima Subprefecture, Hokkaido, Japan. It is the capital city of Oshima Subprefecture. As of July 31, 2011, the city has an estimated population of 279,851 with 143,221 households, and a population density of 412.83 persons per sq km (1,069.2 persons per sq. mi.). The total area is 677.77 square kilometres (261.69 sq mi). The city is the third biggest in Hokkaido after Sapporo and Asahikawa.  Looming over the town is 334m-high Mount Hakodate. The mountain's summit, reachable by aerial ropeway gondola, offers dramatic nighttime views. At its base is Motomachi, a neighborhood of steep streets with Western-style, early-20th-century buildings. A city landmark is the grand Old Public Hall of Hakodate Ward, built in 1910. 

Otaru - Otaru is a city and port in Shiribeshi Subprefecture, Hokkaido, Japan, northwest of Sapporo. The city faces Ishikari Bay and the Sea of Japan, and has long served as the main port of the bay. With its many historical buildings, Otaru is a popular tourist destination. Because it is a 25-minute drive from Sapporo, it has recently grown as a bedroom community.

As of July 31, 2019, the city has an estimated population of 115,333 and a population density of 474.37 persons per sq km (1,228.6 persons per sq. mi.). The total area is 243.13 sq km (93.87 sq mi). Although it is the largest city in Shiribeshi Subprefecture, the subprefecture's capital is the more centrally located Kutchan.

Dutch Harbor, USA  - Dutch Harbor is a harbor on Amaknak Island in Unalaska, Alaska. It was the location of the Battle of Dutch Harbor in June 1942, and was one of the few sites in the United States to be subjected to aerial bombardment by a foreign power during World War II. It was also one of the few sites, besides the attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, in incorporated U.S. territory to be bombed by the Japanese in the war. Situated between the Pacific Ocean to the south and the Bering Sea to the north, the Aleutian Island community of Unalaska/Dutch Harbor is rich in history, and for the last 20 years has been the top commercial fishing port in the country.  Unalaska’s most prominent landmark, the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Ascension of Christ, completed in 1896, is the oldest cruciform-style cathedral in North America and the oldest Russian-built church still standing in Alaska. Overlooking the bay, the church is a favorite for photographers. The church contains almost 700 pieces of art, ranging from Russian Orthodox icons and books to the largest collection of 19th-century paintings in Alaska.

Kodiak Island, Alaska, USA -     Kodiak Island is a large island on the south coast of the U.S. state of Alaska, separated from the Alaska mainland by the Shelikof Strait. The largest island in the Kodiak Archipelago, Kodiak Island is the second largest island in the United States and the 80th largest island in the world, with an area of 3,595.09 sq mi (9,311.2 km2), slightly larger than Cyprus. It is 160 km (99 miles) long and in width ranges from 16 to 97 kilometers (10 to 60 mi). Kodiak Island is the namesake for Kodiak Seamount, which lies off the coast at the Aleutian Trench. The largest community on the island is the city of Kodiak, Alaska.

Kodiak Island is mountainous and heavily forested in the north and east, but fairly treeless in the south. The island has many deep, ice-free bays that provide sheltered anchorages for boats. The southwestern two-thirds of the island, like much of the Kodiak Archipelago, is part of Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge.

Capture.JPG.9e958c28a4819956fb9548b1a8beef7b.JPG

• Like 4

There would be 6 new "areas" for us on the last segment (7).  4 ports (3 in Alaska and 1 in British Columbia) and 2 new "areas' (1 in Alaska and 1 in British Columbia).

Whittier, Alaska, USA - Whittier is a city at the head of the Passage Canal in the U.S. state of Alaska, about 58 miles (93 km) southeast of Anchorage. The city is within the Chugach Census Area, one of the two entities established in 2019 when the former Valdez–Cordova Census Area was dissolved.  At the 2020 census the population was 272, up from 220 in 2010, almost all of whom live in a single building, the Begich Towers. Whittier is also a port for the Alaska Marine Highway.  Visitors can enjoy glaciers, wildlife, and stunning scenery. Plus, one of the best glacier cruises, the Prince William Sound 26 Glacier Cruise, leaves from Whittier.

Sitka (Alaska), USA  - Sitka is a unified city-borough in the southeast portion of the U.S. state of Alaska. It was formerly known as New Archangel while under Russian rule from 1799 to 1867. The city is situated on the west side of Baranof Island and the south half of Chichagof Island in the Alexander Archipelago of the Pacific Ocean (part of the Alaska Panhandle). As of the 2020 census, Sitka had a population of 8,458, the fifth-most populated city in the state. With a consolidated land area of 2,870.3 square miles (7,434 square kilometers) and total area (including water) of 4,811.4 square miles (12,461 km2), Sitka is the largest city-borough by total area in the U.S.

Endicott - Endicott Arm is the southern end of a long, flowing fjord that spans a total area of over 1,000 miles, 28 of which flow directly through the area encompassing this cruise port. Surrounded on all sides by aerial mountains brimming with trees and snowy peaks, Endicott Arm is tucked away inside a comfortable U as the ice and rapids of the fjord rustle along. Like its fjord relatives within the region, it was formed by glaciers thousands of years ago. The clear, pure waters reflect the sky like in a painting, and the waterfalls and eclectic wildlife are majestic within this port’s tableau. Dawn’s Glacier, which can be ventured to by boat, is an impressive wall of ice that looks as smooth as glass but with a dark blue hue. The noise made when the ice separates from the glacier is one-of-a-kind and indescribable unless you hear it for yourself.

Wrangell, USA - The City and Borough of Wrangell is a borough in Alaska, United States. As of the 2020 census the population was 2,127, down from 2,369 in 2010.  Incorporated as a Unified Home Rule Borough on May 30, 2008, Wrangell was previously a city in the Wrangell-Petersburg Census Area (afterwards renamed the Petersburg Census Area (the Petersburg Borough was formed from part of this census area)). The Tlingit people living in the Wrangell area, who were there centuries before Europeans, call themselves the Shtaxʼhéen Ḵwáan after the nearby Stikine River. Strategically located near the mouth of the Stikine River, Wrangell is one of the oldest towns in Alaska. Wrangell is the only town in Alaska to have existed under three flags and be ruled by four nations: Tlingit, Russia, England, and the United States.  One of the most enchanting spots is also the location of the best collection of totems: Chief Shakes Island, a grassy islet in the middle of the boat harbor that is reached by a pedestrian bridge. The tiny island with its totems, tall cottonwoods, and eagles usually perched in the branches is a quiet oasis compared to the hum of the fishing fleet that surrounds it. In the middle is Shakes Community House, an excellent example of a Tlingit tribal house that contains tools, blankets, and other cultural items. Just as impressive are the six totems surrounding the tribal house, all duplicates of originals carved in the late 1930s.

Prince Rupert (British Columbia), Canada - Prince Rupert is a port city in the province of British Columbia, Canada. Its location is on Kaien Island near the Alaskan panhandle. It is the land, air, and water transportation hub of British Columbia's North Coast, and has a population of 12,220 people as of 2016.  It’s a gateway to wilderness areas like the Khutzeymateen Grizzly Sanctuary bear habitat. Shops and cafes dot the waterfront Cow Bay area. The Museum of Northern B.C. showcases the region’s natural and cultural heritage. South, the North Pacific Cannery traces the city’s salmon-canning history. Humpback whales swim in the fish-filled waters offshore.

Seymour Narrows (British Columbia), Canada - Seymour Narrows is a 5-kilometre (3.1 mi) section of the Discovery Passage in British Columbia known for strong tidal currents. Discovery Passage lies between Vancouver Island at Menzies Bay, British Columbia and Quadra Island except at its northern end where the eastern shoreline is Sonora Island. The section known as Seymour Narrows begins about 18 km (11 mi) from the south end of Discovery Passage where it enters the Georgia Strait near Campbell River. For most of the length of the narrows, the channel is about 750 meters (820 yd) wide. Through this narrow channel, currents can reach 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph).

Capture.JPG.0c44ebd20381565acc58728931a0465c.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 4:24 PM, mysty said:

It's time to write your memoir drron!  Inquiring minds want to know!  🥰

Have thought about it. When working I always started with a general chat about the person and their life before talking about anything medical. Amazing what some people have done.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Have thought about it. When working I always started with a general chat about the person and their life before talking about anything medical. Amazing what some people have done.

What a wonderful approach to engaging a patient!  Treating people as people before treating them as bodies!  And the bonus is an amazing collection of life stories! 🥰

1 hour ago, mysty said:

What a wonderful approach to engaging a patient!  Treating people as people before treating them as bodies!  And the bonus is an amazing collection of life stories! 🥰

Even better over the last 15 years this is what I have been teaching my young colleagues working for me. It is so satisfying seeing them develop into excellent doctors.

The one that really amazed me was a young blonde who was on my unit as a student, intern, basic trainee and a medical registrar. As a student I thought she wasn’t listening as always a vacant look but as a registrar I did my usual thing and swapped roles she became the consultant. Throughout the round I had this wonderful feeling that I was watching myself. She had taken it all in.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Even better over the last 15 years this is what I have been teaching my young colleagues working for me. It is so satisfying seeing them develop into excellent doctors.

The one that really amazed me was a young blonde who was on my unit as a student, intern, basic trainee and a medical registrar. As a student I thought she wasn’t listening as always a vacant look but as a registrar I did my usual thing and swapped roles she became the consultant. Throughout the round I had this wonderful feeling that I was watching myself. She had taken it all in.

What a wonderful reward to see that the gift you gave your young colleagues is being returned to the world!  Write the book! 🥰

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, drron29 said:

It's a great privilege to be able to mould young clinicians into caring, competent Dr's. It's even more of a privilege for those young doctors to be guided by someone who so inspires them. 

• Like 3

I have started the packing lists for clothing, accessories, electronics, medications, items for the suite and other necessities.  The various lists will be reviewed and edited over the next 270 days or so.

I definitely brought too many clothes on our first adventure.  There were also items we brought that saw little to no use (such as our ancient iPod and the camera tripod).  I have used the lists from the last time and have pared them down to something more manageable.  Or at least that is my hope.

We sent 4 large suitcases ahead of us in 2019 via FedEx.  We brought 1 checked bag and 4 carry on bags with us on the flight to San Francisco.  We will probably do the same thing for this adventure.  

The ship ahead luggage will probably be packed in the last week of November for pick up prior to our mid-December cruise.  I pack an assortment of casual, informal and formal wear for each of us into each bag.  While I pack I keep track of the contents of each luggage piece on a spreadsheet.  I put copies of our itinerary, passports and contact information inside each bag.  An example of the inventory spreadsheet is presented below.

packchart.JPG.8172b30c12d23f2e2606d89b0dd5c8cf.JPG

The spreadsheet comes with us so that, in the event of a lost bag, we will have a list of the contents.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mysty said:

I have started the packing lists for clothing, accessories, electronics, medications, items for the suite and other necessities.  The various lists will be reviewed and edited over the next 270 days or so.

I definitely brought too many clothes on our first adventure.  There were also items we brought that saw little to no use (such as our ancient iPod and the camera tripod).  I have used the lists from the last time and have pared them down to something more manageable.  Or at least that is my hope.

We sent 4 large suitcases ahead of us in 2019 via FedEx.  We brought 1 checked bag and 4 carry on bags with us on the flight to San Francisco.  We will probably do the same thing for this adventure.  

The ship ahead luggage will probably be packed in the last week of November for pick up prior to our mid-December cruise.  I pack an assortment of casual, informal and formal wear for each of us into each bag.  While I pack I keep track of the contents of each luggage piece on a spreadsheet.  I put copies of our itinerary, passports and contact information inside each bag.  An example of the inventory spreadsheet is presented below.

The spreadsheet comes with us so that, in the event of a lost bag, we will have a list of the contents.

Wow, that’s organization!  Personally, I just put my entire wardrobe in one suitcase and then I’m good to go.  Takes about 15 minutes to organize. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mysty said:

What a great idea!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JoGay said:

What a great idea!

Glad you like it!!!!  We've done this for our past 2 big adventures.   However, the issues with ship ahead that were reported over the last 2 World Cruises seem to indicate that this approach may help if something does not work as expected.   It's easy enough to do and does provide some list of inventory should it be required.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JoGay said:

What a great idea!

We always use TSA approved locks on our ship ahead luggage.   The instructions for ship ahead say not to lock the luggage.   We have ignored that instruction and have not had any issues with the TSA locks on our bags.  In fact,  when I asked Reception prior to dealing with our ship ahead luggage home from the Moon in June of last year they told me that the TSA approved locks were fine. 

46 minutes ago, mysty said:

We always use TSA approved locks on our ship ahead luggage.   The instructions for ship ahead say not to lock the luggage.   We have ignored that instruction and have not had any issues with the TSA locks on our bags.  In fact,  when I asked Reception prior to dealing with our ship ahead luggage home from the Moon in June of last year they told me that the TSA approved locks were fine. 

Locks are fine, but if your suitcase closes by a zipper, it can be opened with the point of a pen, then zipped closed after.  You would not know if it was opened or not, unless they leave a note or something is missing that you can document.   

this video shows how easy it is. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Locks are fine, but if your suitcase closes by a zipper, it can be opened with the point of a pen, then zipped closed after.  You would not know if it was opened or not, unless they leave a note or something is missing that you can document.   

Thank you cruisin!  However our suitcases don't close with a gap.   The two sides of the zips overlap and the lock coil fits through both sides of the zip.  

34 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

Do they even make suitcases that don't use zippers to open and close?  

Excellent question dawntrdr!  None of our luggage pieces close with anything other than a zipper!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

Obviously there are ways to confound locks.  Hopefully an inventory of contents would help should nefarious intruders decide to ply their trade.   The example in the video is rather odd.   The metal piece to the right of the screen shot just slightly below the zipper seems designed to allow the two zipper heads to fit into the two slots on the metal bar.