A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

19 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I also tie a bright ribbon on each bag.  Helps them to stand out in the frey.

Yes, we do that too!  It certainly helps when your searching for a black bag after a long flight with bleary eyes and no patience!  😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/2/2023 at 9:25 AM, mysty said:

Yes, we do that too!  It certainly helps when your searching for a black bag after a long flight with bleary eyes and no patience!  😅

We use brightly colored zip ties.  Both ribbons and zip ties have the same effect.

• Like 1

Be a little careful with ribbons. Or pom poms. Or whatever.

I have been told that the more exuberant suitcase identifiers are at risk of being caught in airport luggage conveyor belts with resulting damage to the bag such as the handle being ripped off or the whole bag being pulled off the belt and possibly lost.

What I used to do before I gave up checked baggage altogether and only travel with carry on, is to firstly not have black luggage, and secondly use very brightly coloured luggage straps - just as good for easy visual identification, and an extra layer of support for your bag closure beyond the zip.

And, of course, I took a photo of my bag with the strap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Hi, does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the pier to other areas in Honolulu?  Exciting,  count down to days aboard! 

There supposedly is a Walmart within a mile of the pier which we want to visit.  Some of the toiletries that we want are heavy (big bottles of Listerine) so we are going to wait until we get to Hawaii to purchase them.  There is always Uber so get to other places.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Okay, first snafu...FedEx came to pick up the bags.  They could not take them because Silversea did not include the Commercial Invoices required to ship internationally.  I've sent an email to our travel agent and I called the number on the instruction sheet.  The call went unanswered and I left a message.  The head of guest services may call back within 24 hours!  Egad!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mysty said:

Okay, first snafu...FedEx came to pick up the bags.  They could not take them because Silversea did not include the Commercial Invoices required to ship internationally.  I've sent an email to our travel agent and I called the number on the instruction sheet.  The call went unanswered and I left a message.  The head of guest services may call back within 24 hours!  Egad!

You caused me to smirk a bit. Not at your situation which is frustrating and annoying, but because of its familiarity ! Your patience will be needed. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

You caused me to smirk a bit. Not at your situation which is frustrating and annoying, but because of its familiarity ! Your patience will be needed. 

I think that the assumption was (and assumptions are never a good thing) is that the ship ahead were going from someplace in the US to San Francisco.   The waybills did clearly say to Bridgetown though.  All international shipping requires Commercial Invoices.   We heard from our travel agent late this evening.   Silversea is working on it and we should have the necessary paperwork tomorrow.   I requested that it be emailed so that we can print it and reschedule a pick up.   Attention to detail is key!  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Hi, check out what's in port on web, for Honolulu.  Appears that there is a free shuttle to Walmart. From shopping center near our docking spot. 

Yea!  We plan on going to pick up toiletries,etc.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mysty said:

Curses. Sending you positive Travel Gods Vides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update - Silversea emailed new FedEx paperwork this morning. Their FedEx Account Manager says that Commercial Invoices are not required to ship to Barbados.   A pick up time has been scheduled for today.   Hopefully the FedEx dude will accept the new paperwork.   All digits and bendy bits are crossed.

• Like 2

FedEx ship ahead luggage was picked up!  Hurray!  I verified with FedEx tracking online and all 4 bags are in the system.   It turns out that the shipment was not picked up yesterday because the paperwork did not include the Pro Forma Invoices.  Commercial Invoices are not used to ship personal items. However,  some form of invoice listing package contents is required.   That was missing yesterday and was included in the new paperwork we got from Silversea this morning.  It's all good now.  😁

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Not sure that i would let the bags go now.

Who knows where they could end up.

Caught  between a rock and a hard place @Mr Luxury .  We would have 7 pieces of checked luggage if we didn't use the included ship ahead.   We're not spring chickens and,  even trying to maneuver the ship ahead luggage required unused muscles to navigate moving them.  If the Travel Gods and Goddesses smile we will be golden! 😁

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Thank you @JSR !  And best wishes for a smooth journey for you both! 🥰

Thank you!!! We have already had a major glitch. Working with SSea to find a hack. Wheelchair accessible cabin has a major design flaw- only allowed 15 inches of access for to the bed. Kinda a glitchy but they have rotated the bed so it is parallel to the headboard and I shall learn to sleep on my husband’s side of the bed. A few more glitches to the new layout to fix but that is a major one. I was shocked to be honest with you since our HA cabin on the moon had an excellent design. I think someone convinced SSea they could squeeze a wheelchair accessible cabin in the same amount of space as a standard cabin. We won’t let it deter us from having fun but it is a bit appalling especially for what we paid for the cruise and a brand new ship. Oh well. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JSR said:

Thank you!!! We have already had a major glitch. Working with SSea to find a hack. Wheelchair accessible cabin has a major design flaw- only allowed 15 inches of access for to the bed. Kinda a glitchy but they have rotated the bed so it is parallel to the headboard and I shall learn to sleep on my husband’s side of the bed. A few more glitches to the new layout to fix but that is a major one. I was shocked to be honest with you since our HA cabin on the moon had an excellent design. I think someone convinced SSea they could squeeze a wheelchair accessible cabin in the same amount of space as a standard cabin. We won’t let it deter us from having fun but it is a bit appalling especially for what we paid for the cruise and a brand new ship. Oh well. 

Oh @JSR !  That is a way bigger glitch than we had with the luggage!  So very sorry to hear that there are already challenges for you both!  I hope you can be comfortable in your suite!  It does affect the enjoyment of the adventure!  I do love your attitude!  It will serve you well! 🥰