Jump to content

Australia Visas


Apple888888
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello and Happy New Year!

 

Do cruise passengers need visas to visit Australia ports if we're on the world cruise out of New York vs. cruising out of Sydney?   If so, how fast can you get the visas and how far in advance should we apply?  Also, does Cunard provide visas if you use their excursions?  

 

Thanks!

Edited by Apple888888
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes , it's a very simple processes to apply online takes 15 minutes to fill in form , once you have registered again simple.  Took under an hour in total to do two of us. We got email in return in 10 minutes, which we printed out. Just Google Australia e-visa 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Medicalley said:

Don't use a website that requires you to pay. It's free via Australian government website. 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-finder

Which visa did you apply for? The ETA can only be applied for using the Australian Govt app and there is a servce fee of $20.

 

3 hours ago, Apple888888 said:

The visa is free?  Is said 20 AUD for a visa here.

 

image.thumb.png.f9eef2e4657a30eb2ca94630a37c0187.png

 

Is this the right visas to apply?

 

image.png.14e071ec8013bdec04fdb2acec03ac0e.png

Yes it is the correct visa as long as all the criteria applies to you. You have to download the app as per instructed on the webpage. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When we got our visa about 6 weeks ago, I spent a couple hours researching this.  The cheapest option I found was using the ETA app on our phone and it did cost 20 AUD service charge for each person.  Although it is too late for us, if someone has found a way to get a visa totally free, please post detailed instructions.  BTW, if I remember in the ETA app it is not until the very end until it tells you there is a 20 AUD charge.  So if you just go into the app, you might think it is free, but it is really not.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Torquer said:

When we got our visa about 6 weeks ago, I spent a couple hours researching this.  The cheapest option I found was using the ETA app on our phone and it did cost 20 AUD service charge for each person.  Although it is too late for us, if someone has found a way to get a visa totally free, please post detailed instructions.  BTW, if I remember in the ETA app it is not until the very end until it tells you there is a 20 AUD charge.  So if you just go into the app, you might think it is free, but it is really not.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601 

It actually states in the above link, which Apple888888 above has screenshot  that there may be a $20AU service fee which is around $11AU cheaper than Australians have to pay for an ESTA to enter the USA.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601 

It actually states in the above link, which Apple888888 above has screenshot  that there may be a $20AU service fee which is around $11AU cheaper than Australians have to pay for an ESTA to enter the USA.

I got the evisitor visa subclass 651 through the Australian gov website, link below. That one's free, visa 601 is not.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/evisitor-651

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Medicalley said:

I got the evisitor visa subclass 651 through the Australian gov website, link below. That one's free, visa 601 is not.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/evisitor-651

Thank you. How long did it take for your application to be approved?

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Thank you. How long did it take for your application to be approved?

Not long, less than a couple of days I think. I wonder if the 651 visa is only available to UK or othe European nationals? Rules may be different for US citizens- but certainly worth trying!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lissie said:

Yes there is - but not  for Americans Subclass 651 eVisitor (homeaffairs.gov.au) - which seems fair as Australians have to pay to visit the USA 

Thanks Lissie - it is very obvious when you check all the information on the Home Affairs website, that there only two visas which are suitable for US passport holders who are cruising/holidaying in Australia. Visas for US Passport Holders to Enter Australia for Cruise or Holiday

 

Screenshot 2023-01-03 19.27.21.png

Screenshot 2023-01-03 19.28.56.png

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Subclass 651 is not available to US citizens. Applying for the Subclass 601 is super easy using the official Australian ETA app on a smartphone. We just did this in August for a trip and it was seamless! Yes, there is a processing fee of $20AUD. Our visas were approved in minutes (we have travelled to Australia previously several years ago using the old online visa application.)

 

Subclass 601 Electronic Travel Authority (homeaffairs.gov.au)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DogLover said:

A Subclass 651 is not available to US citizens. Applying for the Subclass 601 is super easy using the official Australian ETA app on a smartphone. We just did this in August for a trip and it was seamless! Yes, there is a processing fee of $20AUD. Our visas were approved in minutes (we have travelled to Australia previously several years ago using the old online visa application.)

 

Subclass 601 Electronic Travel Authority (homeaffairs.gov.au)

How long is the ETA visa good for? We cruise in June and want to be sure to get visa sorted out in pleNty of time, but is it only a 6month visa?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LPGA Golfer Gal said:

How long is the ETA visa good for? We cruise in June and want to be sure to get visa sorted out in pleNty of time, but is it only a 6month visa?

As quoted directly from the above link (official Australian Immigration website):

 

"Visit Australia as often as you wish in a 12-month period. Stay up to 3 months each time you enter Australia."

 

I just double-checked on my Australian ETA app and our visas are valid through July 16, 2023 (one year from approval.)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DogLover said:

As quoted directly from the above link (official Australian Immigration website):

 

"Visit Australia as often as you wish in a 12-month period. Stay up to 3 months each time you enter Australia."

 

I just double-checked on my Australian ETA app and our visas are valid through July 16, 2023 (one year from approval.)

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2023 at 2:47 PM, possum52 said:

Which visa did you apply for? The ETA can only be applied for using the Australian Govt app and there is a servce fee of $20.

 

Yes it is the correct visa as long as all the criteria applies to you. You have to download the app as per instructed on the webpage. 

I downloaded the app and plan to apply tomorrow.  My sister and I both need to apply.  Each of us need to download the app to our own cell phone or can just use the app on my phone to apply for both of us (one at a time)?   Thank you.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I downloaded the app and plan to apply tomorrow.  My sister and I both need to apply.  Each of us need to download the app to our own cell phone or can just use the app on my phone to apply for both of us (one at a time)?   Thank you.

 

Probably easier to each do it on your own phone. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Probably easier to each do it on your own phone. 

Thank you.  Both of us used our own phone and just completed and received approval emails of our Australia visa.   Now need to figure out how to get our New Zealand visa.  I wonder if they have an app like the Australia one, so easy to use.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you.  Both of us used our own phone and just completed and received approval emails of our Australia visa.   Now need to figure out how to get our New Zealand visa.  I wonder if they have an app like the Australia one, so easy to use.

Found the app.  Just completed the process and received confirmation email that we will be notified within 72 if our visas will be issued.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • Special Event: Q&A with Laura Hodges Bethge, President Celebrity Cruises
      • Hurricane Zone 2024
      • Cruise Insurance Q&A w/ Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com Summer 2024
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...