Bad Business - Drink To It.

Robjame

42 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

My booking shows $23/person/day which is what the gratuities are for a PH.  It's definitely a programming error or a poorly designed web page.  I'd have to drink $110 worth of alcohol per day if this is PPG for booze.  I'd be passed out on the floor before that could happen!

Yes, $23 pp pd for a butler (PH and above); $18 pp pd for a Concierge Veranda and below.

44 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

How can one pre pay just the booze gratuity  if you have no idea what you will be drinking ?

Read post 119 above, which includes a screen shot of the booze related packages pricing

Until it’s clarified by O as an error or true, the cited flat daily $18 gratuity rate for all booze purchased a la carte is no different than paying the current flat daily “house select” or “prestige” total package price for what is also an unknown number of drinks. In essence, what that page says is that you can buy the existing booze packages which include gratuity OR you can just pre-buy your potential gratuities for all booze related purchases at $18/pp/day.

Of course,  in this scenario, $100 in daily per person booze prices would be the “break even” point for a passenger (I.e., 18% x $100 = $18). IMO, however, it would be a loser for most folks only drinking a few a la carte wine or spirits items daily. But, it could be a good deal for folks who purchase pricey bottles of wine nightly, do booze tastings, frequent the “wine bar evenings” et al. -many easily topping that $100/day threshold  (e.g., one designated person purchasing multiple wine bottles nightly for a travel group). 

1 minute ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Our bar tabs have 20% added.

Thanks for the reminder. But, it was 18% not very long ago. 
And didn’t the spa tips also go up recently? The spa services prices (at least, many of them) increased significantly in November. Fortunately, during the preceding segment, we were allowed to pre-assign our coupons for the segment with the new prices and pay only the old price difference.

36 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Thanks for the reminder. But, it was 18% not very long ago. 
And didn’t the spa tips also go up recently? The spa services prices (at least, many of them) increased significantly in November. Fortunately, during the preceding segment, we were allowed to pre-assign our coupons for the segment with the new prices and pay only the old price difference.

The spa was 18% in September, but that was before the price increase. I think you may be right about it increasing on the new menu. Now where was that new spa menu posted....?

3 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I think it's a programming error. My guess is they are planning to automate prepaying gratuities (housekeeping/meals, not bevvies) and this one was accidentally included with the drink packages. My crystal ball says that we will see another option in the "Other Options" tab for Gratuities along with Beverage Packages and Culinary Classes.

At the bottom of the posted image  it has the check box  for those that want to pre pay gratuities  I think some people are reading too much into  the format  😉

JMO

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

At the bottom of the posted image  it has the check box  for those that want to pre pay gratuities  I think some people are reading too much into  the format  😉

JMO

No matter how you guesstimate what else it may be, the current selection for “prepaid gratuities” is on the same line as the two beverage packages- Common sense dictates that it is a third booze option as explained above. And it’s right under the header saying “beverage packages” on a page for “beverage packages.”

Until such time as O further explains or changes it, suggesting that it’s anything other than a stated beverage related item is conjecture at best.

Maybe we’ll hear from someone who actually has used the page and can provide more info.

But, for now, the item in question is what it is: a way for a few booze shoppers to either throw their money away (because they will never meet/beat the $100 daily drink price threshold OR they will reduce their over all gratuities costs for anticipated alcohol related purchases (for themselves or a group)v that exceed the $100 line.

• Haha 1

Chatting with someone right now at Oceania and she says the policy has changed, you can now upgrade the package before getting on the ship for $29.95 pppd, but if you wait until you board, it's an extra $69.95 pppd (with the included Olife package). That seems outrageous to me. $70 ON TOP OF the included drinks?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Chatting with someone right now at Oceania and she says the policy has changed, you can now upgrade the package before getting on the ship for $29.95 pppd, but if you wait until you board, it's an extra $69.95 pppd (with the included Olife package). That seems outrageous to me. $70 ON TOP OF the included drinks?

yeah, you can chalk that up to a CS rep that is confused. Only an idiot would do that.

1 minute ago, ORV said:

yeah, you can chalk that up to a CS rep that is confused. Only an idiot would do that.

Read my separate thread. She was VERY clear about this, because I asked her several times. I even asked for a transcript of the chat conversation as proof. She said the new rates went into effect January 1, but that the website hasn't been updated yet. Personally, I'd say I agree with you, but for someone who was confused, she answered confidently several times that you'd have to pay $69.95 per person, per day, unless you upgraded prior to the sail date.

Edited by DCGuy64

Since you can outright buy it onboard for $69.95 per day per person, why would anyone take the Olife House Select and then upgrade for $69.95? I'll stick with they really don't understand what they've been told. In no way doubting they told you that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

Since you can outright buy it onboard for $69.95 per day per person, why would anyone take the Olife House Select and then upgrade for $69.95? I'll stick with they really don't understand what they've been told. In no way doubting they told you that. 

I'd be happy to paste into here the transcript where I specifically said "you do realize the upgrade price is the same as buying it separately" and she acknowledged that was true. Don't get me wrong, I still think she's mistaken, but I think it's really pathetic that someone who works for a premium line like Oceania gives false information SEVERAL TIMES during a chat convo. And what if she's right? I'm not forking over $700 extra. But it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth given that it's our first go-around with Oceania. Not a good first impression, I'd say.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'd be happy to paste into here the transcript where I specifically said "you do realize the upgrade price is the same as buying it separately" and she acknowledged that was true. Don't get me wrong, I still think she's mistaken, but I think it's really pathetic that someone who works for a premium line like Oceania gives false information SEVERAL TIMES during a chat convo. And what if she's right? I'm not forking over $700 extra. But it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth given that it's our first go-around with Oceania. Not a good first impression, I'd say.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Still wrong.

Call again - “third time’s a charm.” You can also ask your TA to get confirmation (in writing).

And, while you are at it, search here on the Oceania forums for a recent thread describing what just occurred for someone currently on the ship. They got a note saying that, if they want to upgrade to “prestige,” for the next segment, it will be $30 instead of the former $20.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Still wrong.

Call again - “third time’s a charm.” You can also ask your TA to get confirmation (in writing).

And, while you are at it, search here on the Oceania forums for a recent thread describing what just occurred for someone currently on the ship. They got a note saying that, if they want to upgrade to “prestige,” for the next segment, it will be $30 instead of the former $20.

I read that thread, actually, which is one of the reasons I decided to get the full scoop. I guess the real question is, how many times do I have to call to get the truth, and even then, how do I know the reality if if it keeps changing? I wish the website had the information, but it doesn't. Oh well...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I read that thread, actually, which is one of the reasons I decided to get the full scoop. I guess the real question is, how many times do I have to call to get the truth, and even then, how do I know the reality if if it keeps changing? I wish the website had the information, but it doesn't. Oh well...

the website has the PURCHASE price pre cruise  & onboard  but not  the amount if you take O life & upgrade  onboard

See the letter Rob post  in post #1  

he is onboard the ship now

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

See the letter Rob post  in post #1  

he is onboard the ship now

Right, as I mentioned, his post is what prompted mine. 😉 (That's why I referenced it in the first sentence of the post you quoted me on). One of the annoying things about the website (annoying to me, anyway) is that it won't let me upgrade, if I add the Prestige package to my online cart, it charges me the whole thing, i.e. doesn't give credit for the O Life one. Anyway, I'm doubtful it's even worth it at this point, especially since they hiked the price from $20 to $30 extra.

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Right, as I mentioned, his post is what prompted mine. 😉 (That's why I referenced it in the first sentence of the post you quoted me on). One of the annoying things about the website (annoying to me, anyway) is that it won't let me upgrade, if I add the Prestige package to my online cart, it charges me the whole thing, i.e. doesn't give credit for the O Life one. Anyway, I'm doubtful it's even worth it at this point, especially since they hiked the price from $20 to $30 extra.

Well if you have the OlIfe bev package  you can only UPGRADE it onboard the ship

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Well if you have the OlIfe bev package  you can only UPGRADE it onboard the ship

Not according to Oceania, they now say you HAVE to upgrade prior to sail date in order to avoid the additional $10 fee. (At least according to the apparently clueless phone rep, 😁)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not according to Oceania, they now say you HAVE to upgrade prior to sail date in order to avoid the additional $10 fee. (At least according to the apparently clueless phone rep, 😁)

When is your cruise?

I would wait to do anything until a few more sailings have started  to see what prices pax are getting once onboard  for the  upgrade

JMO

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

When is your cruise?

I would wait to do anything until a few more sailings have started  to see what prices pax are getting once onboard  for the  upgrade

JMO

April 12,  2023. And yeah, I was thinking the same thing, I'm sure my trusty CC friends will weigh in before then. Good point! 😃

16 hours ago, mauibabes said:

My guess is that you are in a PH or higher Suite and the $23 per day per person is the value of the Gratuities assigned to your booking. It is not effectively stated but it is NOT the value of gratuities for a Beverage Package, House or Prestige Select. 🤪 IMHO, no need to drink $110 a day to cover your costs. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

That's correct. The $23/day is for the PH. It has nothing to do with gratuities for drinks. There seemed to be some confusion about it.  The web page is very confusing and it would be best if O would fix it.

• Like 1

Hang on to your suspenders:

We just spent a half hour talking to a bar tender

Bar tenders and assistant bartenders do NOT participate in or share in the gratuities. They are salaried. If you tip within the system, they do not get any of that - none of the 20% drink fee, none of your 18 (23) % daily gratuity, none of the added tip you put on the bar tab when you order a drink. 
If you give the bar tender cash, he does keep that.

The bar waiter DOES participate in the tips which is why a bar tender will encourage you to order through a bar waiter.

Lesson - tip in cash

- order through a bar waiter