car rental galveston

clochette

looking at renting a car via Avis or Budget and dropping the car off in La Marque as they do not have drop off in Galveston.  Any suggestion on how to get from the rental place to the cruise port?  Our cruise leaves from Galveston and ends in LA so cannot keep the rental car.

• Like 1

Taxi or Uber.  We have sailed twice from there and found taxis to be plentiful.  Check the fine print for the drop off location.  When we were there one of the hotels on the island would take rental drop offs.  I found if we dropped off at the hotel location on a Sunday I paid until Monday when somebody from the rental company came and checked in the rental.  We ended up dropping off during business hours and using a taxi around the island for dinner and to the port.    

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Taxi or Uber.  We have sailed twice from there and found taxis to be plentiful.  Check the fine print for the drop off location.  When we were there one of the hotels on the island would take rental drop offs.  I found if we dropped off at the hotel location on a Sunday I paid until Monday when somebody from the rental company came and checked in the rental.  We ended up dropping off during business hours and using a taxi around the island for dinner and to the port.    

do you remember which car rental you used, I cannot find any car rental in galveston aside from enterprise and their prices are really high

1 hour ago, clochette said:

do you remember which car rental you used, I cannot find any car rental in galveston aside from enterprise and their prices are really high

According to this link, Enterprise is the only one with  an office on the Island.  They may or may not allow for drop offs.

https://www.cruzely.com/how-to-get-from-the-houston-airport-to-the-galveston-cruise-port/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clochette said:

I don't, but I usually use Hertz.  But I don't see anybody other than Enterprise either so maybe they stopped doing the drop off at the hotel.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I don't, but I usually use Hertz.  But I don't see anybody other than Enterprise either so maybe they stopped doing the drop off at the hotel.  

Hertz hasn't been on the island since 2008.  I believe the drop off is in Texas City. Check with Hertz.

4 hours ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

Hertz hasn't been on the island since 2008.  I believe the drop off is in Texas City. Check with Hertz.

I wasn't sure if it was Hertz or not.  The drop off was at a hotel down by the sea wall and not an actual rental office.  This would have been 2012.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

Is the rental car for getting from the airport or just to get around the island? There are a lot of other kind of rentals on the island like golf carts, Slingshots, little cruiser cars. Also, see if you can find someone on Turo offering a good deal that would be willing to let you drop-off in Galveston without paying an arm and a leg.

• 3 months later...