ID help needed please

Emmcee1967

1 minute ago, Eli_6 said:

But if you lose your license and then use your passport as a photo ID, it can then get lost as well. 

LOL....of course it can.  But most likely it won't and in this case the OP wouldn't be distraught about having appropriate ID for sailing.   

11 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

LOL....of course it can.  But most likely it won't and in this case the OP wouldn't be distraught about having appropriate ID for sailing.   

It's the confluence of circumstances that is causing the angst and the same confluence could present itself regardless of documentation used. 

• Like 1

Try getting a last minute passport. Should be able to since you can show an international trip already booked coming up in 2 weeks. Also, is there a physical office you can go into to get a license the same day?

2 hours ago, MsOne said:

Try getting a last minute passport. Should be able to since you can show an international trip already booked coming up in 2 weeks. Also, is there a physical office you can go into to get a license the same day?

In our post-Covid world, getting a passport in two weeks is highly unlikely.  I was able to do what you are talking about many years ago, but when we went to get my kids passports this past year, it took months to even get an appointment and even paying for expediated it took a month AFTER the interview.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

In our post-Covid world, getting a passport in two weeks is highly unlikely.  I was able to do what you are talking about many years ago, but when we went to get my kids passports this past year, it took months to even get an appointment and even paying for expediated it took a month AFTER the interview.

I know someone who just did this a few months ago in Houston. They live in a small town hours away and were told to go to the bigger offices. I was able to verify that info, but again, it has to be for a trip already booked and happening soon. They want proof of that trip, and it did not need to be for a funeral or anything like that (again, I was skeptical so verified for myself).

Editing to add info (don't have to take my word for it haha):

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

This would be considered Urgent Travel (14 days or less), and you need to call to set it up. According to the person I know, they had to show proof of travel confirmations (ticket already purchased, etc.).

Edited by MsOne
changed a word

54 minutes ago, MsOne said:

I know someone who just did this a few months ago in Houston. They live in a small town hours away and were told to go to the bigger offices. I was able to verify that info, but again, it has to be for a trip already booked and happening soon. They want proof of that trip, and it did not need to be for a funeral or anything like that (again, I was skeptical so verified for myself).

Editing to add info (don't have to take my word for it haha):

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

This would be considered Urgent Travel (14 days or less), and you need to call to set it up. According to the person I know, they had to show proof of travel confirmations (ticket already purchased, etc.).

The link says it has to be a life or death emergency or urgent travel.  A cruise where you don't even have to have a passport to travel is not going to fit into either category.  

It also says you have to have an appointment and cannot just walk in.  When I had to make an appointment to get my children their passports (and we had a trip already booked to the UK so would have fit into that category), it took a very long time for me to get an appointment. I was calling and checking online pretty much daily.  When I called, they said they were no longer even taking appointments because they were booked out indefinitely because they were so back logged due to Covid. 

We live in east Texas and did our passports at the Athens courthouse.  My sister in law who lives in Fort Worth came to stay with us to do hers in Athens because there no appointments available in Dallas/Fort Worth area for several months.  And this was just last June.  By the way we the only people waiting at 7:00 am to get our passports when they opened.  Athens is about 70 miles southeast of Dallas.

2 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

The link says it has to be a life or death emergency or urgent travel.  A cruise where you don't even have to have a passport to travel is not going to fit into either category.  

It also says you have to have an appointment and cannot just walk in.  When I had to make an appointment to get my children their passports (and we had a trip already booked to the UK so would have fit into that category), it took a very long time for me to get an appointment. I was calling and checking online pretty much daily.  When I called, they said they were no longer even taking appointments because they were booked out indefinitely because they were so back logged due to Covid. 

The Life/Death is different from Urgent Travel https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html. And your comparison to your situation with your children is different from a trip that is happening within 14 days. Again, that's why they have a separate phone number. But I know where you're coming from, like I said, I was skeptical. But I literally saw someone go through the process in late 2022 because they were trying to refer someone else to do it for an upcoming trip. For the OP, I definitely think she should call for an appointment. She clearly has the trip documentation and is within the timeframe.

1 minute ago, dallasdan said:

We live in east Texas and did our passports at the Athens courthouse.  My sister in law who lives in Fort Worth came to stay with us to do hers in Athens because there no appointments available in Dallas/Fort Worth area for several months.  And this was just last June.  By the way we the only people waiting at 7:00 am to get our passports when they opened.  Athens is about 70 miles southeast of Dallas.

This is similar to what a friend in San Antonio told me, and a friend in Victoria. They said it basically no wait, meanwhile I remembered how far out I had to schedule one in Dallas and that was pre-Covid. So, yes, the less populated cities have a better chance.

6 minutes ago, MsOne said:

The Life/Death is different from Urgent Travel https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast.html. And your comparison to your situation with your children is different from a trip that is happening within 14 days. Again, that's why they have a separate phone number. But I know where you're coming from, like I said, I was skeptical. But I literally saw someone go through the process in late 2022 because they were trying to refer someone else to do it for an upcoming trip. For the OP, I definitely think she should call for an appointment. She clearly has the trip documentation and is within the timeframe.

I realize the "life or death" is different from the "urgent" travel...but I doubt her trip is going to qualify as urgent travel because she doesn't have to have a passport to take her cruise.  I suppose it doesn't hurt to call, but I just don't see how that is going to be urgent travel when she doesn't even need the passport to travel. 

17 hours ago, Emmcee1967 said:

I made plans to go on a carnival cruise months ago. It sets sail on January 16th and I’ve just realized that I lost my wallet. I know that sounds funny but I never carry cash and always use Apple Pay so I don’t know how or when I could have lost it. 

That being said, I went online tonight to order another license, but it says it can take 2-3 weeks. I think I got my last license in about a week but I’m still nervous. 

So I have a paper drivers license with no picture, a picture of the old license, my birth certificate and my social security card. Do you think they will let me on the ship? 

This trip has been a nightmare so far, not through any fault of Carnival, though. All my fault. I bought the trip as a surprise for my sons 20th bday and he finally admitted to me today that he didn’t want to go. I bought the tickets through a third party and because it’s less than 14 days away they told me they couldn’t change the passenger to someone else. And now the wallet thing! 

Has anyone else cruised with the documents I mentioned or am I just going to have to kiss this trip goodbye? 

oh, did I mention it’s non-refundable? 
☹️

I really hope you aren't so bummed that you stopped checking the boards. I called the person I know that got the Passport for "Urgent Travel" within 2 weeks but she didn't answer, so get this...I just said, let me call the Passport Urgent Travel line and ask them if a cruise classifies...the agent not only confirmed it did (even asked about the itinerary), but she also asked where I was and I said Houston (didn't even realize your profile said Houston, just remembered Texas).

Anyway, the agent was so excited there were some cancellations and said "I have 2 appointments tomorrow for Houston!" I said, great, I'll let the person know. She would not let me get off the phone. She said she thinks it was only available since it is the end of the day and there are some cancellations. She went on and on about people flying to different states for an appointment. I said, okay, I'll send her a message right now! But no, she said grab it for my friend and told me to just give her the confirmation number lol! So if you want the appointment, I can email you the Unique Identifier and PIN (all very generic -- she didn't even ask for your name, it's all based on the appointment identifier). She said you can make changes also using the reservation Unique ID.

Edited by MsOne
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Having lost multiple driver's licenses, I feel your pain. I keep my license in a compartment in my phone wallet and when my kids were little, they would play with my phone and pull the cards out.  I bet that in this circumstance a picture of the old one along with the new paper one will work in the event your other one does not arrive.  I have been allowed to pick up controlled substances before with just a picture of my driver's license and this is nowhere near as serious as that...I mean, if the DEA accepts a picture, I would think Carnival would.  I would call Carnival to make sure.  Let us know what they say.  

Also, I do not think you are legally supposed to have two copies of your driver's license or state i.d. so having a back up one isn't really an option. When I have gotten a new one before due to having lost one, the paperwork says that if you find your old one, you are supposed to destroy it. 

Eli, you are my driver's license soul mate. LOL And yeah, two ID's is a big no no. However, I called Carnival and with what I have, (my temporary paper license, a high-quality photo of the unexpired license I lost, and my birth certificate) the agent said I will be able to get on the ship. 

I'm happy, but still a little skeptical. I probably won't really believe it until I'm on the ship, pina colada in hand. 

I just have to say you guys are wonderful. Thanks for taking your time out of your day to answer my question...the dumb girl who's always losing or throwing important things away. 🤣

I truly should live in a bubble. 

• Like 3

I live in Houston, and they do not print your picture on DL's here. Wish they did! I did a lot of research last night. No matter how you order the replacement, whether it's online or at the DPS, they don't give you your brand-new license the same day. You get a paper one that's good for 60 days, so I just ordered it online. The carnival agent said I will be able to use my documents, so I'm hoping like heck!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MsOne said:

I really hope you aren't so bummed that you stopped checking the boards. I called the person I know that got the Passport for "Urgent Travel" within 2 weeks but she didn't answer, so get this...I just said, let me call the Passport Urgent Travel line and ask them if a cruise classifies...the agent not only confirmed it did (even asked about the itinerary), but she also asked where I was and I said Houston (didn't even realize your profile said Houston, just remembered Texas).

Anyway, the agent was so excited there were some cancellations and said "I have 2 appointments tomorrow for Houston!" I said, great, I'll let the person know. She would not let me get off the phone. She said she thinks it was only available since it is the end of the day and there are some cancellations. She went on and on about people flying to different states for an appointment. I said, okay, I'll send her a message right now! But no, she said grab it for my friend and told me to just give her the confirmation number lol! So if you want the appointment, I can email you the Unique Identifier and PIN (all very generic -- she didn't even ask for your name, it's all based on the appointment identifier). She said you can make changes also using the reservation Unique ID.

No, not too bummed yet!!! Still working on making it happen. I don't give up too easily. 

And OMG...thank you for that research. You are amazing! Please do email me! it's candacewinfrey@gmail.com. THANK YOU. Wow, I'm blown away!!

6 hours ago, Emmcee1967 said:

No, not too bummed yet!!! Still working on making it happen. I don't give up too easily. 

And OMG...thank you for that research. You are amazing! Please do email me! it's candacewinfrey@gmail.com. THANK YOU. Wow, I'm blown away!!

you've got mail (Sooooo sorry, I thought you were gone and I have been getting ready for guests arriving tomorrow).

11 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I realize the "life or death" is different from the "urgent" travel...but I doubt her trip is going to qualify as urgent travel because she doesn't have to have a passport to take her cruise.  I suppose it doesn't hurt to call, but I just don't see how that is going to be urgent travel when she doesn't even need the passport to travel. 

The definition of urgent travel, given on the website linked above, is "Choose this service if you have urgent international travel plans within 14 calendar days for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency." and yes, this trip does meet the definition of urgent travel. The only question is do they have any available appointments. Each office is going to be different (the passport agency located 18 miles from our house isn't as busy as others as an example).

On 1/4/2023 at 10:27 AM, sparks1093 said:

Possibly, but I have read many accounts of passports being lost so not a good reason in my mind to get one (unless of course it is actually needed for the travel one is doing). 

But how many times have you heard of someone losing both their ID and passport? It minimizes the chances of traveling without the most crucial piece of ID. If you do not keep both IDs in the same spot, you further improve your odds.

I have read many accounts of people not having a passport for various reasons and also needing it last minute. If there's any chance you may travel internationally, I don't see why you wouldn't have one.

• Like 2

@MsOnethat has to be the nicest things I've ever seen on these boards.  If we ever cruise together, your next drink is on me! @Emmcee1967I sincerely hope this all works out for you.  Some really kind people here trying to assist.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Joebucks said:

But how many times have you heard of someone losing both their ID and passport? It minimizes the chances of traveling without the most crucial piece of ID. If you do not keep both IDs in the same spot, you further improve your odds.

I have read many accounts of people not having a passport for various reasons and also needing it last minute. If there's any chance you may travel internationally, I don't see why you wouldn't have one.

I've actually read a couple, but aside from that here's the logic that seems to be in play here:

I've determined that the cruise I am taking it is low risk enough that I can travel with my license and birth certificate. I don't have any need to return home if something happens back there, I am in good health, I am only taking ship sponsored shore excursions so the risk of missing the ship is low, etc. etc. BUT WAIT- I might lose my license a couple of weeks before the cruise, yep, that's the one item of info that's going to inspire me to get a passport that I've decided against getting for this trip. That wouldn't sway my thinking at all. That you can't understand other people's different needs regarding travel documentation doesn't really matter and is a topic of discussion that has taken place in many other threads.

Wallets are known to lost, purses potentially stolen. Having a second form of gov ID in a secondary location is a good idea and makes it a heck of a lot easier to replace what may be lost/stolen. This is not the first time someone has been on CC frantically looking for advice because they've lost their only form of identification. 

14 hours ago, carohs said:

Wallets are known to lost, purses potentially stolen. Having a second form of gov ID in a secondary location is a good idea and makes it a heck of a lot easier to replace what may be lost/stolen. This is not the first time someone has been on CC frantically looking for advice because they've lost their only form of identification. 

If someone is getting a passport they are getting it as their primary ID for travel and in that case the person's regular ID becomes the backup for closed loop cruises. If one is traveling on a closed loop cruise it is a legitimate choice to use something other than a passport, even if someone else would make a different choice.

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If someone is getting a passport they are getting it as their primary ID for travel and in that case the person's regular ID becomes the backup for closed loop cruises. If one is traveling on a closed loop cruise it is a legitimate choice to use something other than a passport, even if someone else would make a different choice.

Yes, and drive people choose to fly in the day of cruise too. Not saying people aren't entitled to make their choices. I'm saying there are some choices that allow for circumstances that aren't always in our control. 

I advocate for getting a second form of gov ID even if you're not traveling. If you're military, good for you. If you have a green card, there it is. If not, a passport is a choice too. 

OP I hope you were able to resolve your situation.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, carohs said:

Yes, and drive people choose to fly in the day of cruise too. Not saying people aren't entitled to make their choices. I'm saying there are some choices that allow for circumstances that aren't always in our control. 

I advocate for getting a second form of gov ID even if you're not traveling. If you're military, good for you. If you have a green card, there it is. If not, a passport is a choice too. 

OP I hope you were able to resolve your situation.

It must be realized that each form of ID has a primary purpose and having a backup ID doesn't help at all with that primary purpose. A driver's license allows you to drive a vehicle. Lose it and no passport or military ID in the world will allow you to drive without getting a replacement. Conversely, if you need a passport for the travel you are doing you can have all of the backup ID you want, it won't get you on your mode of transportation if you've lost your passport.

There are very limited situations where different forms of ID are acceptable for what you are doing. If you are checking into a hotel it doesn't matter much whether you present a drivers license or passport or possibly other form of ID. When you are carded for buying alcohol the same thing applies. There are some exceptions in the DHS regulations that allow for using something other than a passport for travel and since we are talking about cruising I'll limit this to closed loop cruising. As I pointed out in post 46 if someone has already decided to cruise using drivers license and birth certificate deciding to get a passport as a backup ID is fatuous. Better to think that the passport is the primary and the drivers license/birth certificate are the backup. I certainly can't speak for everyone but I wouldn't be in a hurry to spend that much money on a "just in case" that has a very small likelihood of happening. Now that we've gotten to the point in our life where we have passports it is indeed comforting to know that should our passport go missing we still have something that will get us on the ship for our closed loop cruise, but if we didn't already have it we wouldn't spend a lot of money to get it.

Edited by sparks1093