Does Oceania recommend travel agents?

dcsam

14 minutes ago, dcsam said:

I looked at the Oceania website, but couldn’t find a link to their preferred travel agencies.  is there such a thing?

They used to have a list of agents by area  but I do not see the link now

Google 

What about the agent you used for your other Oceania cruise?

• 10 months later...
On 1/4/2023 at 11:27 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Use the search feature here on CC to find my several detailed posts about how to find a well-respected Oceania Connoisseurs Club or Preferred Partner Travel Agency.

Trying to search for this. Have not found it. Looked at your history, as well as searching for Oceania Connoisseurs Club TAs.

On 1/4/2023 at 5:27 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

a well-respected Oceania Connoisseurs Club or Preferred Partner Travel Agency.

All of which I believe are North American. Fine if that's you. No use if you are elsewhere in the world (as i am). 

2 hours ago, SATaxman said:

Trying to search for this. Have not found it. Looked at your history, as well as searching for Oceania Connoisseurs Club TAs.

Oceania used to have a search section for TAs (listed by zipcode. They may have been Connoisseurs Club members but not necessarily the “preferred partners” and/or “elite” ones (I assume this later group is some specific number of the top sellers of O cruises.

I know that our primary TA is the top seller of Tauck in North America (and probably the world) and is also one of the O “Elite” group as well. And that kind of “status” does get rewarded in ways that benefit their own regular clients.

As for finding these TAs, I suggest doing what we did for several years (as we went through several different TAs to arrive at a “short list” of folks I respect and use (and who takes good care of us). Once onboard an O ship, work “what TA do you use” into every possible conversation. Do it on every cruise until you start hearing the same handful of Agencies over and over again. Contact all of them and interview them to see just how knowledgeable they are AND which ones are a good fit for your own interpersonal style. 

That seems like a lot of work. But, it will payoff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Oceania used to have a search section for TAs (listed by zipcode. They may have been Connoisseurs Club members but not necessarily the “preferred partners” and/or “elite” ones (I assume this later group is some specific number of the top sellers of O cruises.

I know that our primary TA is the top seller of Tauck in North America (and probably the world) and is also one of the O “Elite” group as well. And that kind of “status” does get rewarded in ways that benefit their own regular clients.

As for finding these TAs, I suggest doing what we did for several years (as we went through several different TAs to arrive at a “short list” of folks I respect and use (and who takes good care of us). Once onboard an O ship, work “what TA do you use” into every possible conversation. Do it on every cruise until you start hearing the same handful of Agencies over and over again. Contact all of them and interview them to see just how knowledgeable they are AND which ones are a good fit for your own interpersonal style. 

That seems like a lot of work. But, it will payoff.

Thanks from one Brooklyn person to another. I lived there for several months, until my parents moved. 

I’ll ditto what Flatbush Flyer said about asking your fellow passengers once aboard.

The most important step in finding the best possible match with an Agency or Agent is first determining what you actually want from that Group. No one size fits all here. Some are only interested in getting back the maximum in rebates. Period. I’ve heard people say “ I get a 10% rebate check on every cruise. I rarely get a phone call back for 3-4 days, but that check is all that matters.”

Others want far more hand holding and service and are willing to forgo some of the perks for more service. Many of us are in between and seek our own balance of service and financial perks.

Some here believe Travel Agents are nothing more than glorified $10-$12/ hour clerks and should be compensated as such. Others see their Agents as professional travel advisors providing important assistance to maximize their vacation experience and that they should be compensated as such.

Cruisers get to decide all of this . However, to be satisfied with your Agency/Agent decide you must. Be honest with yourself upfront when making the decisions, and you’ll be happier long term.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I’ll ditto what Flatbush Flyer said about asking your fellow passengers once aboard.

The most important step in finding the best possible match with an Agency or Agent is first determining what you actually want from that Group. No one size fits all here. Some are only interested in getting back the maximum in rebates. Period. I’ve heard people say “ I get a 10% rebate check on every cruise. I rarely get a phone call back for 3-4 days, but that check is all that matters.”

Others want far more hand holding and service and are willing to forgo some of the perks for more service. Many of us are in between and seek our own balance of service and financial perks.

Some here believe Travel Agents are nothing more than glorified $10-$12/ hour clerks and should be compensated as such. Others see their Agents as professional travel advisors providing important assistance to maximize their vacation experience and that they should be compensated as such.

Cruisers get to decide all of this . However, to be satisfied with your Agency/Agent decide you must. Be honest with yourself upfront when making the decisions, and you’ll be happier long term.

I agree.

I had an agent who once sold me an “Oceania Package with Flight’ only to discover the ‘package’ had been ‘unpackaged’ and ‘repackaged’ by the agent! It took away the ‘safety net’ from an Oceania package. Needless to say I never used them again.

Now I have an agent who offers around 10% discount on most cruise lines and offers an excellent service too. Also, they don’t sell independent flights so if I do happen to book a  cruise line ‘package’ I can trust that it does what it says on the tin!