Viking River Cruises V Riviera River Cruises

Celtic Fringe

Hi 

I've not been on a river cruise before and I'm looking to take my husband on a Grand European cruise in 2024.  They seem really expensive and I am wondering if the Viking cruises are worth the extra cost?

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

There are several more cruise lines than the two you mention, and some have more inclusions than others. I would suggest talking to a TA who has river cruise experience (or someone in their office who does, if the one you use doesn't), and they could sit down with you and go through what lines would suit both you and your budget. River cruising sounds expensive, but it's your hotel, food (3 meals a day), usually wine or beer with lunch & dinner, and at least 1 tour of the area included. Yes, you could do it yourself probably a bit less, but then you have to do all the work.

Read the stickies on the top of the main page, and they will give you a better idea as to what is involved in cruising. It's a great holiday, if you know what to expect.

• Like 2

Reading your avatar name and place I guess you are in England. Riviera is your own UK line while Viking is American. That is reflected to some extent in food, feel and passenger mix. I will try and word this carefully, while my impressions from what others have written lead me to believe that there is a notch more luxury in the river cruises with Viking I get the impression that the price tag is a little higher than the extra bit of luxury warrants. I see the ships on the river and would prefer to sail on a Riviera ship.

I second Daisis suggestion of talking to a travel agent familiar with river cruising. Ask around among the people you know if they have been on a European river cruise.

I have a big caveat as regards the Grand European. You will be on the rivers for a long time and that is not for everyone. The Grand European with Viking can be let us say problematic when the water levels are low. Riviera Travel I cannot comment on with details, but their ships have a slight advantage over the Viking ships when sailing. I highly recommend reading the roll call for the Grand European with Viking for 2022. I myself would never sail the Grand European with Viking in late summer or autumn. There is much to consider with river cruising, insurance is another thing and payment. Being in the UK gives you more favourable consumer rights but nevertheless I recommend getting travel insurance not from the river cruise company. Again, a travel agent should be able to help you with that.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

• Like 1

@Celtic Fringe The cruise companies offerings keep changing. Assume you are going to see roughly that same sights which ever line you go on.

I suggest you get a sheet of paper, write down the name of the companies at the top, and the offerings down the side. Make a grid and put a tick in relevant box under the cruise line that offers that.

Highlight what is essential to you. Everything a line offers that you do not want you pay for.

My friends who mostly travel by Viking did one cruise on Riviera and had no complaints tho' drinks were not included. If you don't drink alcohol that is a plus, if you do that is a negative.

The lines that advertise in the UK have current offers for 2024, They all offer large discounts against the catalogue price (Though I'm not sure if anyone pays the catalogue price).

I've cruised with Viking and Scenic and currently Viking are offering their drinks package free (means you can have drinks any time without paying.

Scenic include dinks and are offering free business class air travel. They also include free chauffeur car to/from airport. This is a pretty good offer of you like business class, and you should look at how much transport to/from the airport would cost you if you go on another line.

As I recall Riviera also have an offer on.

Also remember people here have their favourite lines.

Viking is not American owned, it's Norwegian owned, and they advertise different tours in the US, UK and Australian markets, so if you book Viking you'll be travelling mostly with Brits..

And Viking have the most boats, so if a bridge is not passible or a stretch of river is not navigable they can swap passenger from one boat to another identical one on the other side.

I've done the Grand European Tour with Viking and I loved it. But if this is your first river cruise maybe you should pick a week long one in case river cruising is not for you. However the increasing number of people, cruise lines and cruise boats suggest that people do in fact love river cruising.

• Like 1

Our 2 cents (pence):

Shop, shop, shop

Pick the itinerary/river first, the time of year next, and then the cruise line.  Long lead times before booking allows taking advantage of periodic "flash" sales and similar discounts/specials.  Consider doing pre/post-cruise DIY land tours to supplement/ extend the venues you will visit. 

I forgot to add that there is a choice of cabins and on some lines the more expensive cabins include extra services.

Regarding pre/post extensions; while they may make sense for those who come a long distance, I've never found them good value when all the European cities are so easy, quick and cheap to get to from the UK

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening

Thank you for all your help on the river cruising and I have today booked with Scenic River Cruises - right route, lovely looking rooms with balconies and all inclusive means all inclusive.  I paid slightly more than I would have with Riviera but I think the whole package is worth it.   Now I've booked, I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

We did Grand European Tour Budapest to Amsterdam June 2023. We did enjoy the trip. We were fortunate with river levels so had no disruption and off loading to coaches. We were the only UK people on board so it was great meeting so many people from America, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Japan. The menu was good but not exceptional. The excursions interesting but for most you have to be pretty mobile - even the gentle tours were quite a distance for people with mobility restrictions. The excursion guides were very knowledgeable and by the middle of the cruise it was a bit information overload but you can always turn the headsets off and just enjoy the view! There was a respiratory virus (not Covid) on board so waves of coughing - fortunately we avoided it whilst on the trip but it hit us on return home! The one thing that we would say is try and get at least a veranda balcony as most on the lower level said the rooms were claustrophobic and being below water level had water noise reverberation night and day. The sun deck was closed for a quarter of the tour as the bridges on sections of the river being so low all the furniture had to be laid flat. It is a small ship (200 people) so there is only one dining room and one lounge - that was fine -  the evening entertainer was a keyboard player with an electronic accompany which was …. Well, interesting! There were a few alternative events in the evening which were very good (glass blowing, classical music). The cost of Viking is double what we paid on ocean cruises and the Viking room a lower spec - was it twice as enjoyable - no! But that is comparing two very different experiences. People asked did you prefer ocean or river cruises. Our take is you cannot compare them as they are so different and we do enjoy both. Would we recommend this river cruise - yes.  But go with an open mind and not as a comparison mindset with an ocean cruise. The staff were excellent and catering for special diets superb. Despite the virus and on return getting a chest infection we are glad we did this trip and would recommend it to others. Finally, top tips - just make sure you go at a time of year where there is less chance of very high or very low water levels so to avoid a river cruise turning into an expensive coach cruise. Second, if you enjoy tea in your room take a travel kettle as no facilities in room. Enjoy!

Harriet24 - thank you. I’ve gone for an upper deck in the middle of the boat/ship. Your information is really informative.

My husband will be celebrating his 60th and despite a new hip, he is really fit and healthy. 

Thanks to everyone who helped me to decide. 

• Like 1