Opinions on Virgin Gorda Baths with Celebrity

luvsun22

We will be in Tortola on a Sunday when the ferry from Road Town to Virgin Gorda does not run, so we are unable to go to the Baths on our own.  I'm looking for opinions of the cruise line excursion to the Baths. We're trying to decide if it's worth booking with Celebrity or finding something else to do. 

I posted in the Tortola forum, but have not received an answer yet, so posting here as well. 

We enjoyed the Celebrity excursion to the Baths so much the first time we did it again with our son and his wife on our next cruise. I am sure it will be a little more expensive and of course you will be on a timeline however, it is still worth it I feel. If I can offer a few tips... sit on the top deck of the shuttle boat and be among the first in line to go thru the tour. Down in the lower level the diesel smell and motion were a bit much. Also, if you aren't in the front of the pack there will be delays from people struggling to get thru at the ladder and tight spots which cuts into your time on the beach. Have a great time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, cw2go said:

Agree with @Fivelinks 

I enjoyed the Cel tour but want to add we had back packs and that was super wonky trying to keep them dry when wading though the baths. I'd carry as little as possible.

Good point! I forgot we took a dry bag with the bare minimum. It worked nicely and functioned as a cool flotation device while I snorkeled. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cw2go said:

Hope no one was snoring?!? 😂

Honestly just teasing! I didn't snorkel but some did a little ways out in the ocean. 

Patty 

LOL, guess I should have proof read. Stupid phone is always second guessing what I want to say!  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Make sure everyone in your party can swim.

If the tide is in, there will be a section you will have to swim a short  distance to continue.

Thanks for the info, we are all swimmers. 

I just did this for Royal.  This was the equivalent of being stuck on a line at Disney.  I would never do this on a ship excursion.  IF I could go back in time, here's what I'd do.  First the tour guides will take you to the first beach.  Don't go on the beach.  The path splits and one goes to the left, the other goes to the right to the rocks.  Either try to just go to the right on the path or hang near the entrance at the front of the pack.  It will be you plus 99 other guests.  Go through the rocks then you will be at another crowded beach with no where to sit.  IF I had to do it again, I'd book a private tour if on a Sunday.  Or do the Ferry.  

edited to add we spent 1 hour in line to go 1/4 mile through the rocks.  And you cannot get out of line.  It's awful.  

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I just did this for Royal.  This was the equivalent of being stuck on a line at Disney.  I would never do this on a ship excursion.  IF I could go back in time, here's what I'd do.  First the tour guides will take you to the first beach.  Don't go on the beach.  The path splits and one goes to the left, the other goes to the right to the rocks.  Either try to just go to the right on the path or hang near the entrance at the front of the pack.  It will be you plus 99 other guests.  Go through the rocks then you will be at another crowded beach with no where to sit.  IF I had to do it again, I'd book a private tour if on a Sunday.  Or do the Ferry.  

edited to add we spent 1 hour in line to go 1/4 mile through the rocks.  And you cannot get out of line.  It's awful.  

WOW! What you describe is nothing like my experience. To be fair my excursion was with Celebrity over 5 years ago but I was on a tour with a max of 15-18 people. Getting through the rocks was nice and we thought it was gorgeous.

12 hours ago, dacsmom said:

Yes, head to the rocks on the left side. I saw quite a lot of fish.

Definitely do not miss the baths.

Here are some pics from my day there, you can see the "Snorers" LOL! 

1890427_696568177031290_1399851166_o.jpeg

1779993_696568100364631_2093559607_o.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I just did this for Royal.  This was the equivalent of being stuck on a line at Disney.  I would never do this on a ship excursion.  IF I could go back in time, here's what I'd do.  First the tour guides will take you to the beach. I'd book a private tour if on a Sunday.  Or do the Ferry.  

Ferries don’t run from Road Town on Sunday. We too are visiting on a Sunday. So getting over there is the problem. We actually rented a car to tour the bath area and beyond- never thought we wouldn’t have a way to get over. So cancelled the car and booked the snorkel tour to the Baths through Celebrity . Hoping because there isn’t a ferry running it   - might-  be a bit quieter? 

Edited by son3cruisers

33 minutes ago, son3cruisers said:

Ferries don’t run from Road Town on Sunday. We too are visiting on a Sunday. So getting over there is the problem. We actually rented a car to tour the bath area and beyond- never thought we wouldn’t have a way to get over. So cancelled the car and booked the snorkel tour to the Baths through Celebrity . Hoping because there isn’t a ferry running it   - might-  be a bit quieter? 

that's why I said a private tour might be better.  I'm just going by my personal experience a couple of weeks ago.  And try to get at the front of the line when they start lining up for the rocks.  

49 minutes ago, cw2go said:

WOW! What you describe is nothing like my experience. To be fair my excursion was with Celebrity over 5 years ago but I was on a tour with a max of 15-18 people. Getting through the rocks was nice and we thought it was gorgeous.

Here are some pics from my day there, you can see the "Snorers" LOL! 

1890427_696568177031290_1399851166_o.jpeg

1779993_696568100364631_2093559607_o.jpeg

yep.  Nothing like that.  It was like the line for Frozen at Disney World.

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

that's why I said a private tour might be better.  I'm just going by my personal experience a couple of weeks ago.  And try to get at the front of the line when they start lining up for the rocks.  

I would have booked a private tour, but I couldn’t find one. If anyone knows of a private vendor selling this excursion, I would love the info.  For now we are booked with Celebrity and hope for the best. We will definitely stick to the front of the line. You are the 2nd who recommended this. 

Edited by luvsun22

We did not the snorkel and baths excursion in November.  Figured it was better to end up at the baths instead of the ferry terminal.  

The snorkeling was so-so at best, then we had to carry our snorkel equipment through the baths. 

The baths themselves were interesting, but way over-hyped thanks to all we had heard. We reached the beach and wondered where the rest of it was. Thankfully we had time to go back through without the line of people. 

20 hours ago, luvsun22 said:

I would have booked a private tour, but I couldn’t find one. If anyone knows of a private vendor selling this excursion, I would love the info.  For now we are booked with Celebrity and hope for the best. We will definitely stick to the front of the line. You are the 2nd who recommended this. 

Even if the excursion is at capacity and you get stuck in the crowd, it is still worth seeing! When people start lining up to listen to instructions step to the right side of the group closest to the trail then watch the leader so you can fall in behind them first.  Once you get to Devil's Beach there will be a place you can get a drink and relax. Again, being at the front of the group gets you more chill time! Also, don't miss out on the Top of the Baths restaurant/bar on your way out for some nice photo ops and another beverage or two. LOL!!

• Like 2

We are hoping to do the Baths when we visit on the Apex on March 1st (a Wednesday).  The best option I can find is Sensation Ferries.  They have a shuttle at 8:30 from Road Town and returning from Virgin Gorda at 1:45. $40 per person including transportation from the Ferry dock to the Baths and back.

Has anyone done it with Sensation Ferries?  I was looking at Speedy's but the times don't really work out well.  You either have way too little or way too much time in Virgin Gorda. 

Thanks!