Advice for expedition cruise to Alaska-first cruise!

TravelMamaBear23

So my husband and I would like to travel with our four twenty-something "kids" to Alaska either this summer ('23) or next if availability is an issue. Our usual travel style is to avoid resorts/crowds and instead immerse ourselves in a small town or region, which is why we haven't tried a traditional cruise ship.  We are most interested in learning about wildlife, geology, etc and also photography as opposed to on-board entertainment.  From what I have learned thus far about Alaskan cruises, we think an expedition cruise on a smaller ship where we can get in close and see wildlife, etc. will be a good fit. That said, we are a bit spoiled by comfortable, and in some cases luxurious, accommodations.  Also, we are from New Orleans so food is important to us.  Lastly, while we like options for excursions, some downtime will also be important and some of us will take some time to just chill in the cabin often.  

I reached out to an Alaskan cruise planner who suggests a Lindblad-Nat Geo cruise on Quest in early July "Exploring Alaska's Coastal Wilderness" that includes Glacier Bay.  My concern is that the cabins top out at 165 square feet, which is small for sharing by two 6 ft plus young men (cruisecritics review gives the cabins a 3.5 out of 5) so certainly comfortable but nothing to get excited about. Also,  there is only one restaurant which gets decent but not great reviews. I am wondering if the ship is a good fit for us, especially for those in our family who like more downtime and fewer excursions?

My research turned up Seabourn Alaskan cruises but the itineraries in June and July this year are on the Odyssey not their dedicated expedition ship Venture. Also, I am not 100% sure I am understanding those itineraries completely but it looks like they include only a day or two dedicated to "excursions". 

Do any of you have experience with some sort of hybrid expedition cruise that is also somewhat cushy and relaxing?

If you want a luxury expedition  cruise to Alaska, then your choices will be limited. You can easily find luxury cruises or expedition cruises, but combined?  Yes, they exist, but like most things in life, you may need to realize you can't always get everything you want.

I ran across an article from Forbes that may give you a couple of ideas:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/irenelevine/2022/11/30/expedition-cruising-best-new-ships-fuse-luxury-adventure-and-learning/?sh=5eb773bc3f18

You might have to sacrifice a bit at either focus....you won't have as much room or as many menu/restaurant choices on a smaller expedition sized ship, or you won't have as exciting or in-depth 'shore' excursions on a larger, cushier ship.  You may just have to decide which is a bit more important to you.  A couple of small expedition type ships you could look at on these boards are American Queen Voyages:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2841780-all-ocean-victory-alaska-2022-cruises/

For a very small expedition ship you could try UnCruise Adventures (75-85 passengers.)  

Something you might want to look at before booking is the CruiseMapper website to check which ships are in each port on which days....you probably don't want to be in port at the same time as 4 x 4000 passenger ships.  The site also links with info on each ship in port and their cruise costs etc.  https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports-in-alaska-22

When Hubby & I were on our Alaska Cruise with HAL Westerdam in early Sept/22 the only 'shore' excursion we did with the ship was the Hubbard Glacier Small Boat adventure as we figured we'd likely never get out there at the face on a regular self-booked trip to Alaska.  We did a bit of research first on each port and looked at hiking trails, special community events, etc. and ended up going on an epic day hike in Tongass National Forest on our own - we took the local buses (cheap especially for seniors, lol) and just asked some of the friendlier locals where they'd go on a day off for an 'adventure.'  We were prepared though, with sturdy hiking boots and heavy duty rain gear.  We like HAL Vista Class ships as they only have 1700-2000 on board - 'big' ship amenities and smaller-ship port availabilities.  They also have great music with BB King's Blues Club, and Lincoln Center Stage.  They also have great chefs who I give free reign to design meals for me since I have Celiac Disease.  I've never been disappointed by their meals and in fact have had several in the MDR that are actually off the Pinnacle Dining Room Menu (with no upcharge.)  

You might wander over to the Alaska board here, under Ports of Call for some more suggestions.

You might look at American Cruise Lines who have a ship American Constellation doing a May positioning cruise from Seattle to Juneau, then 10 and 7 day r/t cruises from Juneau.  Lots of ports not visited by big ships, plus the usual and Glacier Bay.  EM

The only recommendation I would make is to depart from Vancouver, BC rather than Seattle, WA. Vancouver qualifies as a "foreign" port, while cruises departing from Seattle, WA have to make a quick stop at Victoria Island to meet the "foreign" port requirement. 

1 hour ago, Z'Loth said:

The only recommendation I would make is to depart from Vancouver, BC rather than Seattle, WA. Vancouver qualifies as a "foreign" port, while cruises departing from Seattle, WA have to make a quick stop at Victoria Island to meet the "foreign" port requirement. 

😆lol. Victoria Island is located far, far, away in the Arctic Ocean. The port in question is Victoria, on Vancouver Island. Not sure why one is an advantage over the other. Either travel to Canada to start your cruise, or visit as a port stop before ending it.

The real advantages  of Vancouver are that there are more lines, including luxury lines, that sail from there; and that there tends to be a greater variety of itineraries and cruise lengths.

Edited by mom says

It's always an option to visit Alaska on a luxurious ship and just not go into port and do things. You can see the scenery from your balcony and focus mostly on enjoying the relaxing atmosphere on board, go to the spa, listen to live music, watch movies or shows, take naps, things like that. But then it's such a shame to go all the way to Alaska for an experience you could probably get in the Caribbean much more cheaply. 

17 hours ago, mom says said:

😆lol. Victoria Island is located far, far, away in the Arctic Ocean. The port in question is Victoria, on Vancouver Island. Not sure why one is an advantage over the other. Either travel to Canada to start your cruise, or visit as a port stop before ending it.

I apologize for the error in geography. I should have re-checked Google Maps before posting. But, I still stand by my advice to depart from Vancouver rather than Seattle. While boarding the ship, you will pass through US custom and hit all of the US ports. 

On 1/7/2023 at 9:35 AM, TravelMamaBear23 said:

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions and advice.  I think that you are all correct that we will need to focus on either more expeditions or more luxury.  I was wondering about posting on the Alaska Ports of Call forum-will do that, too!

I highly recommend sacrificing some luxury and focusing on the expedition piece.  Take a look at UnCruise sailing out of Juneau.  If they're a little too rustic for your taste, American Cruise Lines has nicer ships sailing directly from Juneau as well.