Cunard cruise destination New Zealand

We are going on the Queen Elizabeth February, we have visited some of the ports before, however, we have a friend travelling with us who has not been to New Zealand, just after thoughts or any information that may assist us please:-

Dunedin 9am - 6pm We were thinking of doing our own thing in Dunedin, as have been the the station, brewery, steepest street, however, is Larnach Castle worth going to please?

Christchurch (tours from Lyttelton) 8am - 6pm

Thinking of taking shuttle to Christchurch and going up in the Cable Car and anyone been to the Antarctic Centre there?

Wellington 8am-6pm

Plan to take cable car to Bontanical Gardens, Terapa Museum

Auckland 7am-8pm

Have at this stage booked a private half day tour leaving 10am which finishes at 2pm then thinking of catching ferry across to Devonport.  I was tempted to go the the Auckland Museum to see the Amauri cultural performance, however, it clashes with the tour we have currently booked.

Bay of Islands 8am-6pm

Had booked for 2 of us before friend was coming and unable to fit her in on a bike tour 11am that goes for 30 minutes, then do our own thing.

Larnach Castle is worth going to in my opinion and the views from there are wonderful. Why not look for a tour that takes you to the Albatross Sanctuary, the Penguin Place and Larnach Castle.

We went to the Antarctic Centre many years ago and it was fascinating. Definitely worth a visit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Larnach Castle is worth going to in my opinion and the views from there are wonderful. Why not look for a tour that takes you to the Albatross Sanctuary, the Penguin Place and Larnach Castle.

We went to the Antarctic Centre many years ago and it was fascinating. Definitely worth a visit.

o.k. thank you, will do.

For Wellington - take the cable car if you wish - but then get the (I think) free shuttle over to Zealandia(from the top of the cable car)  and spend 2  hours wondering through the NZ bush seeing the native birds - far more NZ than the botanic gardens. You can then bus or take their free shuttle to Wakefield St - very near to Te Papa . 

Antarctic Centrre is fantastic in Christchurch - out near the airport 

Larnach Castle is worth  it - in part because of the drive out along the Peninuslar. However if you like colonial history I rather like Olveston House - a complete Victorian House - with all the "downstairs" room - not just the pretty stuff 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lissie said:

For Wellington - take the cable car if you wish - but then get the (I think) free shuttle over to Zealandia(from the top of the cable car)  and spend 2  hours wondering through the NZ bush seeing the native birds - far more NZ than the botanic gardens. You can then bus or take their free shuttle to Wakefield St - very near to Te Papa . 

Antarctic Centrre is fantastic in Christchurch - out near the airport 

Larnach Castle is worth  it - in part because of the drive out along the Peninuslar. However if you like colonial history I rather like Olveston House - a complete Victorian House - with all the "downstairs" room - not just the pretty stuff 

I absolutely agree about going to Zealandia.  However, I think the free shuttle goes from the Information Centre in Wellington, across the road from Te Papa.  The ship's shuttle usually drops people off there.  Just make sure you are in front of the line as it is only a little 12-14 seater!  When leaving, they drop you at the top of the cable car.  Depending on time available, another option is to walk down through the Botanic Gardens.  Probably not enough time though, so use the cable car.

So big tick for Zealandia.

Next big tick for the Antarctic Centre.  A must see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

I absolutely agree about going to Zealandia.  However, I think the free shuttle goes from the Information Centre in Wellington, across the road from Te Papa.  The ship's shuttle usually drops people off there.  Just make sure you are in front of the line as it is only a little 12-14 seater!  When leaving, they drop you at the top of the cable car.  Depending on time available, another option is to walk down through the Botanic Gardens.  Probably not enough time though, so use the cable car.

So big tick for Zealandia.

Next big tick for the Antarctic Centre.  A must see.

What do you think about going to Anorkea when in Christchurch? There is an 8 hr Two Harbor excursion that looks interesting; 2 hrs on catamaran, lunch at Bully’s 

1 hour ago, CU64 said:

What do you think about going to Anorkea when in Christchurch? There is an 8 hr Two Harbor excursion that looks interesting; 2 hrs on catamaran, lunch at Bully’s 

I’m sorry, I don’t know that place.  I have been to Akaroa, which is the other location where ships anchor.  I would simply confirming the Antarctic Centre experience.  If you prefer water to ice, go for the catamaran.  A week or so ago I did a catamaran tour of Twofold Bay in Eden, and really enjoyed seeing the coast, geology and scenery from the water.

7 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I’m sorry, I don’t know that place.  I have been to Akaroa, which is the other location where ships anchor.  I would simply confirming the Antarctic Centre experience.  If you prefer water to ice, go for the catamaran.  A week or so ago I did a catamaran tour of Twofold Bay in Eden, and really enjoyed seeing the coast, geology and scenery from the water.

Bully Hayes is the restaurant in Akaroa - so they must mean there. It would be a heck on an expensive excursion.. and 4-hours of travel time would either make or break it depending on how they found the travel. Presumably, they would see the Dolphins at the heads too. Long way for just 4-hours in the township.. although Akaroa is a nice, quiet wee township. Particularly nicer when the cruise-ships aren't in there - so would be much better! 🙂  Bully Hayes is a nice waterfront restaurant.. have dined there lots. 

1 hour ago, CU64 said:

Akaroa is nice, but I don't think it's worth that long a trip. The view from the top of the cable car at Lyttelton is worth seeing if it's a clear day.

We were in Port Chalmers last month. We did a private tour of Lanarch Castle, including a boat trip out from the mouth of the bay to see the wildlife. The house is interesting, the gardens pretty and the view from the top outstanding. However, the boat trip was the highlight.

In Wellington we took the cable car up to the Botanic Garden. The trouble with it is that unless you know your plants, one garden looks much like another. It's a long walk back so I'd  recommend getting a return ticket on the cable car. That way you can spend more time at Te Papa.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Akaroa is nice, but I don't think it's worth that long a trip. The view from the top of the cable car at Lyttelton is worth seeing if it's a clear day.

We were in Port Chalmers last month. We did a private tour of Lanarch Castle, including a boat trip out from the mouth of the bay to see the wildlife. The house is interesting, the gardens pretty and the view from the top outstanding. However, the boat trip was the highlight.

In Wellington we took the cable car up to the Botanic Garden. The trouble with it is that unless you know your plants, one garden looks much like another. It's a long walk back so I'd  recommend getting a return ticket on the cable car. That way you can spend more time at Te Papa.

Which company did you go with for the tour to Larnarch Castle, including the boat trip please?

I just did Antarctic centre on current coral princess cruise. Took shuttle in (35), walked to transit centre, bought ticket from bus driver (2.10 each way-driver only accepts cash so make sure you have some nz currency, otherwise you need to withdraw from atm) then got off just before airport and walked over the the Antarctic Centre-just after you see the sign for it you get to the stop, so be ready. I bought ticket there but you can buy online and do penguin behind the scenes or different activities. It was a great 3-4 hours, really fascinating and the crew are absolutely lovely to hat with to get more information. 100% recommend, especially the hagglund ride and the storm room, and was a lot cheaper than going through the cruises shore excursion. It took about 30 mins to get out there from Christchurch.

If you wanted to save more, you can catch a local bus from the port for 2.10 and use it to transfer to the airport bus, I found out from experienced cruisers afterwards, but the shuttle was pretty convenient for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alicat2464 said:

I just did Antarctic centre on current coral princess cruise. Took shuttle in (35), walked to transit centre, bought ticket from bus driver (2.10 each way-driver only accepts cash so make sure you have some nz currency, otherwise you need to withdraw from atm) then got off just before airport and walked over the the Antarctic Centre-just after you see the sign for it you get to the stop, so be ready. I bought ticket there but you can buy online and do penguin behind the scenes or different activities. It was a great 3-4 hours, really fascinating and the crew are absolutely lovely to hat with to get more information. 100% recommend, especially the hagglund ride and the storm room, and was a lot cheaper than going through the cruises shore excursion. It took about 30 mins to get out there from Christchurch.

If you wanted to save more, you can catch a local bus from the port for 2.10 and use it to transfer to the airport bus, I found out from experienced cruisers afterwards, but the shuttle was pretty convenient for me.

Thank you for the information.  

9 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The castle and the boat trip were one excursion. I can't recall the name, but it was from the Visitor Center next to the dock.

9 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The castle and the boat trip were one excursion. I can't recall the name, but it was from the Visitor Center next to the dock.

Thank you, Sinbad. For some reason, I always take your comments very seriously, including Sydney hotel, Jamison, where we are staying first 2 nights. I, too, prefer boat trips. ….appreciate your thoughts on long travel time. Will rethink.