Small bottles of toiletries

Tablelamp

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

I seem to remember ships being propelled by the power of the wind.

Can you imagine the size of the sails needed on Iona 😮

and when the wind dropped  I suppose we could give anyone on saver fares a set of oars ?

Well it worked for the Viking long ships 🤔

Edited by kalos
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, kalos said:

Can you imagine the size of the sails needed on Iona 😮

and when the wind dropped  I suppose we could give anyone on saver fares a set of oars ?

Well it worked for the Viking long ships 🤔

Just had a vision of the oil tanker on Water World, Dennis Hopper as the captain!

• Haha 2

On 1/10/2023 at 11:01 PM, terrierjohn said:

Only a few turnround ports have shoreside electric hook ups, it needs quite a powerful purpose built substation to provide safe , steady voltage facilities,and I suspect we are many years away from having batteries powerful enough and light enough to replace the current fuel tanks.

I think you missed the part where I said in the "future" of course it can't happen now but then not long ago people were saying trucks wouldn't be able to be powered by batteries. China is making huge advances on battery power, I expect in less than 10 years we will have the batteries capable of doing it. 

32 minutes ago, Obobru said:

expect in less than 10 years we will have the batteries capable of doing it. 

Possibly,  (but unlikely), and then 20 years before a cruise ship sails with battery power, so lets say 2050.

But, where does the power come from to charge up these batteries?  And please don't say renewable energy,  as that obviously is not the answer.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Possibly,  (but unlikely), and then 20 years before a cruise ship sails with battery power, so lets say 2050.

But, where does the power come from to charge up these batteries?  And please don't say renewable energy,  as that obviously is not the answer.

Why is it not the answer, currently as I post 62% of our electricity is coming from renewable sources.

E83C017F-9776-4226-96A1-C91C396B0B3E.jpeg

Edited by Snow Hill

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Why is it not the answer, currently as I post 62% of our electricity is coming from renewable sources.

Indeed it is, but you need massive wind and solar farms to generate that sort of energy. If you covered every surface of Arvia with solar panels, and installed 4 wind turbines, you would, on a good day produce perhaps enough electricity to keep tge air conditioning going ! 

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I have had dealings working with battery powered in the past .

Battery powered train locomotives and more recent was the FLT loading lorries .

It is amazing the power within these vehicles but they were never far from a re charging point .

Non of these ran on sealed units and it was very time consuming topping up at least the 

equivalent of 20 odd car batteries .A load more for the loco.

Charging could be a nightmare as they all had their own charge connections,if different models and I note that not all cars use a universal type to suit all cars either .

So when it came to ships docking and having the right charger in the right place is not going

to be easy as well as keeping the ship powered lights heating etc for people onboard use .

Never say never but I think the day we see a cruise ship toddle off on a worldie on battery 

power is not going to be for a long while yet but that's just me .

Edited by kalos

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Never say never but I think the day we see a cruise ship toddle off on a worldie on battery 

power is not going to be for a long while yet but that's just me .

I agree, and as I mentioned earlier, how do you recharge the batteries on a cruise with many sea days ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I agree, and as I mentioned earlier, how do you recharge the batteries on a cruise with many sea days ?

The future is probably a hybrid of batteries and hydrogen fuelled ships, there are already such vessels out there and planned in future.

https://www.rechargenews.com/transition/world-s-first-liquid-hydrogen-fuel-cell-cruise-ship-planned-for-norway-s-fjords/2-1-749070

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If we get to the position of having very efficient high energy low weight batteries, then I suspect the first and most cost effective use for them will be as storage for excess renewable electricity on land. 

Only when this reaches the point that no generated electricity is ever wasted, say in 50 to 100 years, is it likely to be used for borderline beneficial operations like cruise ships, and probably never for cargo ships that spend many days at sea.

31 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Indeed it is, but you need massive wind and solar farms to generate that sort of energy. If you covered every surface of Arvia with solar panels, and installed 4 wind turbines, you would, on a good day produce perhaps enough electricity to keep tge air conditioning going ! 

Which we are building, we have 3 solar farms locally operated by council, which have already covered their costs of construction. 

Appears government has done a uturn on wind farms both on and offshore in recent weeks. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Which we are building, we have 3 solar farms locally operated by council, which have already covered their costs of construction. 

Appears government has done a uturn on wind farms both on and offshore in recent weeks. 

But that is of no relevance to generating renewable electricity on a cruise ship.

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But that is of no relevance to generating renewable electricity on a cruise ship.

I had assumed that most recharging would be done in ports of call, it would be madness to have diesel generators to top up the batteries, and as you say impossible for solar or wind to produce enough energy to even keep the galleys going.

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I had assumed that most recharging would be done in ports of call, it would be madness to have diesel generators to top up the batteries, and as you say impossible for solar or wind to produce enough energy to even keep the galleys going.

No, I think we are talking about ships producing their own electricity from wind power,solar power etc.

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

In the old days the galleys had oars. They could send all the drunks down to the bilges and row. .. ... .steam engines....run by coal, or bio stuff?.