Small bottles of toiletries

Tablelamp

52 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I have been told by P and oh that if you ask your cabin steward you can still have the small bottles of toiletries and a face cloth. Has anyone any experience of this.

We did on Arcadia in Dec.

Once the small bottles are gone, they are gone for good. Part of Carnival Corp's environmental aims. 

Before anyone says that X line still does this, different lines/ships have different lengths of contracts for such items. As contracts end and stocks run out, the conversion to large refillable bottles attached to cabin wet areas is being made. I think P&O are at the earlier end of this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I am happy not to have the small bottles but I do mind not having what was in them. It felt lovely having the moisturiser and conditioner all with the same scent as the shampoo and shower gel. Now I have to make space in wash kit to bring extra bottles, nothing matches and it all just loses a bit of that special feel. Last steward had no idea what a flannel was either and was positive they didn't have any but managed to find some when I persuaded him to ask.

29 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Once the small bottles are gone, they are gone for good. Part of Carnival Corp's environmental aims. 

Before anyone says that X line still does this, different lines/ships have different lengths of contracts for such items. As contracts end and stocks run out, the conversion to large refillable bottles attached to cabin wet areas is being made. I think P&O are at the earlier end of this.

We visit Warners a few times a year. We pinch their little bottles/tubes and thake them on our cruise. How's that for helping your environmental aims. As you cut down on stuff, we will take our own. We already turn our own beds down and stick I an after 8 on DW's pillow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

We visit Warners a few times a year. We pinch their little bottles/tubes and thake them on our cruise. How's that for helping your environmental aims. As you cut down on stuff, we will take our own. We already turn our own beds down and stick I an after 8 on DW's pillow.

There argument will be that the little bottles were not refilled just replaced where the bigger bottles are refillable so a massive impact on environment of 1000s of small bottles every week being discarded. There is of course the cost savings which is not surprisingly not mentioned by P&O as how many actually used all the bottles that were replenished and how many have taken small bottles of liquid soap, shampoo, conditioner and moisturiser home with them along with biscuits from cabin and hot chocolate sachets taken from buffet restaurant in the past.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

We visit Warners a few times a year. We pinch their little bottles/tubes and thake them on our cruise. How's that for helping your environmental aims.

What a great idea and once the bottles are emptied on the cruise ,you can simply refill 

them using the big containers that are now supplied by P&O :classic_love:

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, kalos said:

What a great idea and once the bottles are emptied on the cruise ,you can simply refill 

Why are you not supposed to take the big containers home? they make great Christmas presents, you do have to top the part ones up with water though.

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

Why are you not supposed to take the big containers home? they make great Christmas presents, you do have to top the part ones up with water though.

If they are strapped to the shower wall , would the cabin steward lend you a screwdriver 

or better sill give you a hand getting it off the wall whilst you pack your hot chocolates away ?:classic_unsure:

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

There argument will be that the little bottles were not refilled just replaced where the bigger bottles are refillable so a massive impact on environment of 1000s of small bottles every week being discarded. There is of course the cost savings which is not surprisingly not mentioned by P&O as how many actually used all the bottles that were replenished and how many have taken small bottles of liquid soap, shampoo, conditioner and moisturiser home with them along with biscuits from cabin and hot chocolate sachets taken from buffet restaurant in the past.

If they want to save the planet from plastic, that is admirable. So they could use glass at a cost, or just stop doing them and save money as well. Of course, folk taking their own toiletries defeats the object, but still saves the cash.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, kalos said:

I didn't think of that. Next time we can take a big empty bottle and fill it up to take home. We could fill up the little Warners bottles and return them to Thoresby Hall next time. That should confuse them big time.🤔

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Thanks for the information, but can I ask if the small blocks of soap will continue to be available - they were very useful especially if your luggage arrives late and you want to get  shower - I find the liquids very drying to the skin?

Also will this affect the ability to get the flannels on request, which are very useful IMO, as well as a shower cap from time to time?

Barbara

Edited by tring

6 hours ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

...Last steward had no idea what a flannel was either and was positive they didn't have any but managed to find some when I persuaded him to ask.

It wasn't a language thing was it? Did you try asking him for facecloths as well as flannels?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tring said:

Thanks for the information, but can I ask if the small blocks of soap will continue to be available - they were very useful especially if your luggage arrives late and you want to get  shower - I find the liquids very drying to the skin?

Also will this affect the ability to get the flannels on request, which are very useful IMO, as well as a shower cap from time to time?

Barbara

I'm not keen on using liquid handwash on my face either. Always take some soap with me just in case these days.

27 minutes ago, Britboys said:

It wasn't a language thing was it? Did you try asking him for facecloths as well as flannels?

Aren't flannels those white trousers that posh folk play their sports in.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tring said:

a shower cap from time to time?

Ecology wise the shower caps are the worst of all.  Turtles, sea mammals and large fish mistake them for jellyfish and die horrendous deaths as a result.

I appreciate you're not going to throw them in the sea deliberately but according to cetacean experts it's far more common than we realise.

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Ecology wise the shower caps are the worst of all.  Turtles, sea mammals and large fish mistake them for jellyfish and die horrendous deaths as a result.

I appreciate you're not going to throw them in the sea deliberately but according to cetacean experts it's far more common than we realise.

Ok I will retire for the night with my tail between my legs.

I do appreciate what you mean though.  All our plastic, even plastic bags, (including shower caps), go into the recycling bin at the tip, but supply of them is a risk, especially at sea and not many people would take old ones home.  I will not be washing my hair daily though.

Must admit when on on Aurora in November we were looking at the exhaust from the funnel, especially at night.  It did make us feel somewhat guilty cruising.  The daily output into the environment must be a lot higher than what is produced from a flight to Europe and stay in a hotel.  That has wide ranging effects, even to wildlife.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tring said:

Ok I will retire for the night with my tail between my legs.

I do appreciate what you mean though.  All our plastic, even plastic bags, (including shower caps), go into the recycling bin at the tip, but supply of them is a risk, especially at sea and not many people would take old ones home.  I will not be washing my hair daily though.

Must admit when on on Aurora in November we were looking at the exhaust from the funnel, especially at night.  It did make us feel somewhat guilty cruising.  The daily output into the environment must be a lot higher than what is produced from a flight to Europe and stay in a hotel.  That has wide ranging effects, even to wildlife.

I take my own reusable shower caps bought very cheaply in T K Maax and then when it's time for it to meet its maker so to speak I can ensure its disposed of safely and properly.  

Unfortunately ships of all types are the worst polluters amongst transport and another reason that sadly our old favourites will go to make way for the likes of Iona and Arvia using cleaner fuels.

It's a shame we can't do conversions!  I'm old enough to remember the natural gas switchover and the hordes of British Gas engineers in their vans converting all our gas appliances.  Wouldn't that be a sight ... hundreds of men and women tracking down the world's polluting ships armed with tools for the LPG switchover!  

I wonder when we will be moving to solar power on some ships, I'm sure someone is probably working on it as I write.

• Like 1