Booking tours on British Isles Princess cruise

So far I've booked several tours.  But I need help on some of these ports

Portland   -   Is there any thing to do there or should we book a tour?

Dublin  --  Is the port near the city center?  Is it walkable or can we take a cab?

Invergordon  -   Same question as above

Edinburgh  -   Seems like quite a distance from port to town.  What is the best way to get to town?

For Edinburgh, I'd expect you to arrive at South Queensferry if on a Princess cruise.

Probably the easiest option is the X99 bus (https://www.lothianbuses.com/cruiselink-x99/) which should run for every ship visit next year. As well as paying the driver, there will usually be a few ticket sellers in the area that can sell tickets for both the X99 and the HOHO buses that their sister company runs.  They can take cash as well as cards and can give change.

An alternative is on the train from Dalmeny station, but remember that you have to walk up the hill & steps to the equivalent height of the train running across the Forth Bridge!  You tender will arrive on the pier on the left: https://goo.gl/maps/JPZou1a1EbLLfUbc7

More details here: https://www.cruiseforth.com/content/getting-around-south-queensferry/.  I'm one of the Cruise Forth volunteers, though not yet at South Queensferry.

• Like 1

Dublin....our dock was very close to the Trinity College area...easy to walk but our Celebrity ship did offer a shuttle. This was not only our embarking port but we over nighted there before sail out. 

4 hours ago, gunnywife said:

Dublin  --  Is the port near the city center?  Is it walkable or can we take a cab?

Edinburgh  -   Seems like quite a distance from port to town.  What is the best way to get to town?

For Edinburgh we did the X99 bus. It was super easy and right outside the dock. We also did the HOHO with it. We spent a lot of time at the Castle so we didn't have that much time to use the HOHO but it was a way to quickly see some the sites before going back to the ship. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gunnywife said:

Forgot for Invegordon,  we did a independent group tour with Gavin from Invegordon tours.

I believe the shuttle bus will take you into Weymouth from Portland. Weymouth is a very pretty, traditional seaside town with a beautiful beach and a very pretty harbour. If you just want to wander along the promenade and have an ice cream then it's ideal. You can also acess one end of Chesil beach and if you like walking then can enjoy a walk along the beach and see the fleet, great for bird watching. Portland itself is home to many quarries which provided stone for famous buildings in London and around the world. There is a quarry sculpture park whichbis nice to explore and I believe there is a bus which takes you up to Portland Bill where there is a Lighthouse, again a great spot for bird watching. The whole area is famed for its natural beauty and I would try to enjoy some of that if you can. A tour (ship or private) to either Abbotsbury to the west for the gardens, abbey and particularly the swannery is worthwhile, particularly if you are visiting in May when it is full of cygnets. Or a trip east down the coast to Lulworth and Durdle Door as part of the wonderful Jurassic coast. Sounds niche but isn't is a visit to the Tank Museum, fascinating displays and sometimes demonstrations and just up the road is Lawrence of Arabia's cottage, tiny and atmospheric (He was based at Bovington). And just down the road is Monkey World, suitable for all ages. Hope that helps with planning.  

For our stop in Invergordon we did a marvelous excursion through Princess out to beautiful Dunrobin Castle. The grounds are beautiful, water views in the background plus a lovely tea salon with delicious cakes and snacks to fuel up after your busy jaunt around the castle. The entire trip with the castle stop was about 4 hours. Highly recommended. 

Jonathan

For Dublin, we went to see the Book of Kells in Trinity College. There was a long line, but because we were there before it opened, we were near the front of the line. It was well worth it.

Our Princess cruise used the port of Rosyth for Edinburgh, and we took the train. We had an overnight, and did not get back from the Scottish Military Tattoo in time to use the train back (despite having round trip tickets), and had to take a cab back to the ship.