Euros or XPF for Tahiti & French Polynesia?

DrivesLikeMario

I'd post this on the So. Pacific forum but there's very little traffic there and I'm afraid I won't get my question answered.  I'm confused as to what currency we should have with us for our upcoming Tahiti cruise on the Regatta.  I thought we needed XPF but then saw one place in Tahiti said they take Euros.  Which is it?  I'd rather not buy 2 currencies if I can avoid it.  Thanks in advance for the help!

12 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I'd post this on the So. Pacific forum but there's very little traffic there and I'm afraid I won't get my question answered.  I'm confused as to what currency we should have with us for our upcoming Tahiti cruise on the Regatta.  I thought we needed XPF but then saw one place in Tahiti said they take Euros.  Which is it?  I'd rather not buy 2 currencies if I can avoid it.  Thanks in advance for the help!

For all of French Polynesia, the currency is French Pacific Francs (XPF) and many small businesses REQUIRE them for cash transactions. 

Also FWIW, if you have a choice of XPF vs Euros or USD for completing a CC charge, it is usually best to pick the XPF since your CC’s exchange rate will almost always be better than the foreign country’s exchange rate to USD (or Euros)

• Like 2

Don't buy XPF beforehand.  You can easily get them from the numerous ATMs in Papeete.  There are a few across from the cruise pier, near the tourist office.

As for the places that take Euros -- that's mostly in jewelry and pearl shops.  FWIW, the XPF is pegged to the Euro, so there is no opportunity there for arbitrage.   119 XPF to the Euro (rounded) at the peg of 1000 XPF=8.38 Euro.

• Like 2

Hi,

We were just there.  No one that I saw took euros, all XPF.  Most places took credit/debit cards.  Local markets took only cash XPF.  There were ATM’s on all islands that we stopped at.  Near the port in Papeete, there is a Bank of Tahiti, also an ATM at the market.  

Most, not all, guides took cards but appreciate cash.

Also, we stayed precruise at the Hilton and there is an ATM in the mall across the street, it is connected to the hotel by a pedestrian bridge.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

Dear DLM:

We spent four days in Papeete and one day in Huahine in November 2022 and the currency of choice was XPF.  Two "bank" ATM's  (with an excellent exchange rate) were at the airport.  In other South Pacific countries only local currencies were accepted except for Somoa where U.S. dollars were accepted and sought.

Joel Barry

• Like 1

One other thing to note: when we were there in Nov 2020, the ONLY place you could actually exchange money for XPF's was at the airport.  (and the rates weren't good...)  So you're probably much better off planning to use the numerous ATM's around for cash.

The Bank of Tahiti told us that this was a recently implemented government policy.  (I'm guessing they're trying to reduce the amount of cash transactions merchants make, in order to increase their sales tax revenue.)  It may or may not be in effect any longer.

We flew in on United, which arrived late evening. We had arranged with our hotel to have a cab/car waiting for us and the bill added to our account. We skipped what was a rather long line at the airport ATM for a very small hotel upcharge. Got money the next morning at a bank atm.

We stayed over In Papeete a couple of days after the cruise. Had the hotel do the same thing back to the airport. Then, except for a modest tip, we used all the remaining local currency in paying the hotel bill with the remaining tab put in the credit card. Worked easily.

Really good tips, everyone, thanks.  The problem I have with using ATMs is that you're limited on how much cash you can take out daily AND you only get larger bills BUT, I just found out that Wells Fargo doesn't even sell XPFs.  Guess we'll be using the ATMs then.  Thanks.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

1 hour ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Really good tips, everyone, thanks.  The problem I have with using ATMs is that you're limited on how much cash you can take out daily AND you only get larger bills BUT, I just found out that Wells Fargo doesn't even sell XPFs.  Guess we'll be using the ATMs then.  Thanks.

Your cash withdrawal limit can be changed by your bank.  Just ask.

2 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I just found out that Wells Fargo doesn't even sell XPFs

Yes they do. I've bought XPF from Wells Fargo in the past and I just checked their website and confirmed XPF are still sold.

Look for "Tahiti (XPF)" in the dropdown menu of currencies sold.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Yes they do. I've bought XPF from Wells Fargo in the past and I just checked their website and confirmed XPF are still sold.

Look for "Tahiti (XPF)" in the dropdown menu of currencies sold.

I looked twice today and didn’t see it but I’ll check again. 

I did find out that our ATM limit is sufficient if we decide to go that route. 

Thanks to all for the help. 

1 hour ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I looked twice today and didn’t see it but I’ll check again. 

I did find out that our ATM limit is sufficient if we decide to go that route. 

Thanks to all for the help. 

Order Foreign Currency

Check RatesHelp

Minimum total order amount is $200.00. Currency will be delivered to your home address and a signature is required. To purchase in a branch, find a location.

Note: Business accounts cannot be used to order currency online. Businesses can order currency by calling 1-800-626-9430 Monday – Friday, 8 am – 8 pm, Saturday, 10 am – 5 pm Eastern Time; or in person at any Wells Fargo branch.

Currency
TAHITI (XPF)
1 FRANC (XPF) = 0.0099562 U.S. DOLLAR (USD)

A few years ago I ordered from Wells Fargo on a regular basis. I used my credit card and didn't get charged a cash advance fee like some people said happens. There were also no shipping charges for over a certain amount, which I always got. 

I don't know if it's changed but a few years ago they quit shipping to states that they didn't have a branch in, which they don't in ours. 

16 hours ago, ORV said:

A few years ago I ordered from Wells Fargo on a regular basis. I used my credit card and didn't get charged a cash advance fee like some people said happens. There were also no shipping charges for over a certain amount, which I always got. 

I don't know if it's changed but a few years ago they quit shipping to states that they didn't have a branch in, which they don't in ours. 

I did notice that too - no shipping charges now which is awesome.  I just wish there was a place we could request SMALL denominations!  When we ordered our Swiss Francs, we were give huge, huge notes.  I know everything is expensive in Switzerland, but no one wanted to cash those.  I'm going to try our WF branch office and see if they can request small bills.