NCL Escape or Getaway

Cruisecraycray

NCL Getaway or Escape  

32 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose between one or the other … Which one… Getaway or Escape?

• Escape
    • Getaway

We've been on both, and its a tough call - really liked them both.  The itinerary would likely be the deciding factor.

Escape is a bit bigger, adding Food Republic & Pinchos (both of which we liked) as Specialty Dining options and the District Brewhouse.  Getaway has the Shanghai Noodle Bar.   Getaway has a much larger SugarCane Mojito bar that extends outside onto the waterfront while the Escape's Wine bar is a bit larger and takes up a similar spot on the waterfront.  The exterior wine bar was often closed on our cruise.

Spice H2O areas are pretty similar - the Getaways water feature is more open, while the Escapes is a rocklike grotto. 

The Getaway has the Illusionarium, more of a theater in the round approach, while the Escape has the Dinner theater.   Both had great entertainment options.  Their main shows are two of the best  - Choir of Man and Million Dollar Quartet.

Good luck choosing and have a great time!

I haven't sailed Escape, but have you seen the most recent Getaway reviews?  I don't know if all lines are like this post covid, but I've never seen this before (and its going to get worse, as I'm currently on the getaway and NCL cancelled one port plus another for environmental reasons, and continued to advertise and sell the cruise as visiting that port (its the dominican republic and they ran a ship aground there last March and can't get large ships into Taino Bay and Amber cove has been booked for years on the date we were scheduled to dock).  Here are the reviews:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=651

We cruised Escape in 2018, Getaway April 2022. The ships are different classes, we had Mini Suite / Club Balcony on each. The Getaway was somewhat a disappointment with the cabin and with Spice H20 and the water slides, no mini golf, no district brew house, but they did have Syd Norman's Pour house 

On 1/10/2023 at 1:05 PM, Beer Belly said:

We cruised Escape in 2018, Getaway April 2022. The ships are different classes, we had Mini Suite / Club Balcony on each. The Getaway was somewhat a disappointment with the cabin and with Spice H20 and the water slides, no mini golf, no district brew house, but they did have Syd Norman's Pour house 

We have a MS/Club Balcony booked for upcoming Getaway cruise. What was disappointing about the cabin?

No contest -- the Escape.

We sail in the Haven and the Getaway's Haven was poorly designed. There is no roof on the pool/courtyard and the restaurant is tiny and lacks window seats compared to the Escape.

We also loved people-watching from the wine bar on the Escape. That, plus the addition of District Brew House and Food Republic make the decision easy.

56 minutes ago, sunkey1 said:

We have a MS/Club Balcony booked for upcoming Getaway cruise. What was disappointing about the cabin?

For us, the overall feel, it felt smaller, the Bacony was definitely smaller, and we like to spend time there at the beginning and end of the day. The bathroom had a tub, not the best with two bad knees, but that is a hit or miss.

1 hour ago, brookie848 said:

There is no roof on the pool/courtyard and the restaurant is tiny and lacks window seats compared to the Escape.

Lest you think there are no window seats, there are three tables that look directly out onto the ocean. In April/September, the configuration was that all three tables were two tops. Last week, the maitre d changed this to two four tops, with a two top in the middle. I absolutely love those three tables and typically the host seats us at one of the three...but yes, there are not a lot of tables looking directly out on the ocean. 

On 1/10/2023 at 1:17 AM, kitkat343 said:

I haven't sailed Escape, but have you seen the most recent Getaway reviews?  I don't know if all lines are like this post covid, but I've never seen this before (and its going to get worse, as I'm currently on the getaway and NCL cancelled one port plus another for environmental reasons, and continued to advertise and sell the cruise as visiting that port (its the dominican republic and they ran a ship aground there last March and can't get large ships into Taino Bay and Amber cove has been booked for years on the date we were scheduled to dock).  Here are the reviews:  https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=651

It's true recent reviews of the Getaway have been...well, less than stellar. Some of them are from obviously jaded folks or those that have an ax to grind. Others are more well-thought out. I'd encourage you to take a look at my "live" review as well. I certainly delve into some issues on the ship, but you'll see Getaway has some really outstanding features as well. 

I'm sure there are some great Escape lives out there as well that will be a better resource than the reviews section of the page. 

26 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

We have been on both and prefer the Escape.  District Brew House is a huge plus for us.  

The Brewhouse on the Joy was, for lack of better description… cool. Laid back atmosphere, decent piano-based music, good either for chatting with friends or just enjoying the music. Is it the same vibe on the Escape? I’m gonna be there in December. 

I have been on both.....Both on a 7 day to Bermuda in a balcony cabin.

Food and service was MUCH better on Escape, however it was also more expensive.

Also, the thermal spa in the Escape was nicer and not as crowded for whatever reason.

Edited by mano2020
added to

Just now, wally4ever said:

The Brewhouse on the Joy was, for lack of better description… cool. Laid back atmosphere, decent piano-based music, good either for chatting with friends or just enjoying the music. Is it the same vibe on the Escape? I’m gonna be there in December. 

We have been in both on the Joy and on the Escape.   They both have the same vibe but I think my husband prefers the Escape for some reason.  

1 hour ago, mano2020 said:

I have been on both.....Both on a 7 day to Bermuda in a balcony cabin.

Food and service was MUCH better on Escape, however it was also more expensive.

Also, the thermal spa in the Escape was nicer and not as crowded for whatever reason.

The Joy doesn't have a thermal suite. It's the only thing I really dislike about it...not that I've sailed on it yet. That's happening in March! 

I have been on Escape, Getaway, Breakaway, Gem, Bliss, some multiple times.  Bliss is my favorite because of observation lounge, thermal suite, racetrack and restaurants.

Between Escape and Getaway, have to go with Escape.  Because the haven is enclosed and is great anytime of the year.  The district brew house and food republic.  Thermal suite!