All Access Ship Tour $$$!!!

I did this a couple of years ago on Anthem and found it all very interesting. I think it was around $120? Yes, worthwhile if you've never done it and are interested in ship operations and logistics. I would not do it a second time at $159, but if you've never done it and have the money, go for it.

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I've seen car engines and worked in garages for years but I always want to look under the hood on just about every muscle car, antique car, and/or any unique cars I see. 

This is what I was responding to, that you hoped to see the engine room on an Oasis class ship, implying it would be different, but it wouldn't be much different than a Carnival engine room, and not unique in any way.  If you just wanted to see another engine room for another experience, that's one thing, hoping for a different experience would be another.

1 hour ago, bormus said:

Hmmm can't find it there, so must not be offered for my particular sailing.

Thanks for the help!

Maybe it's not on all ships.  I happened to see it yesterday when I was looking at some things.  

Watch "Mighty Cruise Ships" on Smithsonian channel.  I think the episodes are a few years old, but they are available on the channel and cable On Demand.  They did a Celebrity ship and Oasis, I believe (among other lines).  They do show you the engine room, bridge, and other places.  No, it's not the same as seeing it live, but it's free!

I have seen several and enjoy them.  

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, moposh said:

Watch "Mighty Cruise Ships" on Smithsonian channel.  I think the episodes are a few years old, but they are available on the channel and cable On Demand.  They did a Celebrity ship and Oasis, I believe (among other lines).  They do show you the engine room, bridge, and other places.  No, it's not the same as seeing it live, but it's free!

I have seen several and enjoy them.  

Yes, I've watched them as well.  Very good series, for sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NightOne said:

Been on multiple Carnival "Behind the Fun" tours and they do NOT let you in the engine room. ;)

So, what are you saying?  Did you cruise during a different time frame, different rules/options/tours as I did, my wife did, and my cruising buddies did?  Or am I lying?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

This is what I was responding to, that you hoped to see the engine room on an Oasis class ship, implying it would be different, but it wouldn't be much different than a Carnival engine room, and not unique in any way.  If you just wanted to see another engine room for another experience, that's one thing, hoping for a different experience would be another.

Again, my prospective:  I'm sure that the difference between an engine room on Rustbucket's Dream vs RCCL's Allure is enormous.  Speaking of enormous, just the size alone of the room, engines, motors, et al, is of enormous interest, at least to me.  The propulsion systems are different, some have shafts leading to the props and on Oasis Class it's a shaft leading to the electrical generator that feeds the entire ship and the propulsion system, which I haven't seen, only read about.   The tours alone could be very different.  One person giving a tour will focus on certain things while another person will focus on others.  So, it could take multiple tours of the same thing to get a lot of differing information.  If I saw the same engine room several times, I'm sure I'd see different things, of interest, every time. 

So, yes, I would like to physically see the engine room on every class ship that I cruise. 

You are entitled to your prospective and opinion(s).  As am I.  I'm not trying to change your mind about anything, I'm just stating what I've experienced and what I'd like to experience in the future.  But, I'm a very curious and inquisitive person.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, HicksRA said:

Do you get to see the engine/mechanical room? (Not just the control room)  That’s all I’d really want to see.  We’ve done the bridge, galley and back stage before…

nope  they do not take you down to the actual engines for safety reasons.  I was lucky to do this back in 1977 on the Oceanic.  It was amazing and the catwalks were clean as was the whole area, just LOUD.

I think the tour I took on Ovation included the incinerator area, but on Oasis instead we got the theatre area.  I enjoy the kitchen and the bridge.  There will always be an officer who will walk over to answer questions.  On Ovation it was Capt Henrik Loy but on Oasis it was First and Third officers we got to chat with.

17 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Again, my prospective:  I'm sure that the difference between an engine room on Rustbucket's Dream vs RCCL's Allure is enormous.  Speaking of enormous, just the size alone of the room, engines, motors, et al, is of enormous interest, at least to me.  The propulsion systems are different, some have shafts leading to the props and on Oasis Class it's a shaft leading to the electrical generator that feeds the entire ship and the propulsion system, which I haven't seen, only read about.   The tours alone could be very different.  One person giving a tour will focus on certain things while another person will focus on others.  So, it could take multiple tours of the same thing to get a lot of differing information.  If I saw the same engine room several times, I'm sure I'd see different things, of interest, every time. 

So, yes, I would like to physically see the engine room on every class ship that I cruise. 

You are entitled to your prospective and opinion(s).  As am I.  I'm not trying to change your mind about anything, I'm just stating what I've experienced and what I'd like to experience in the future.  But, I'm a very curious and inquisitive person.

I am curious too.

Carnival Dream uses 6 × Wärtsilä 12V46

Oasis uses 3 × Wärtsilä 12V46D and 3 × Wärtsilä 16V46D

You can go check the dimensions of each here:

https://cdn.wartsila.com/docs/default-source/product-files/engines/df-engine/product-guide-o-e-w46df.pdf?sfvrsn=9

So how much bigger of an engine room does Oasis need for 3 of its engines being around 7" wider and taller?

All modern cruise ships are propelled by electric motors. The diesel engines/generators generate the power to run those motors.

3 minutes ago, NightOne said:

I am curious too.

Carnival Dream uses 6 × Wärtsilä 12V46

Oasis uses 3 × Wärtsilä 12V46D and 3 × Wärtsilä 16V46D

You can go check the dimensions of each here:

https://cdn.wartsila.com/docs/default-source/product-files/engines/df-engine/product-guide-o-e-w46df.pdf?sfvrsn=9

So how much bigger of an engine room does Oasis need for 3 of its engines being around 7" wider and taller?

All modern cruise ships are propelled by electric motors. The diesel engines/generators generate the power to run those motors.

I don't know, that's why I'd like to take a tour.  Geeeesh. And you just obfuscated from my question to you! 

We did it once on Allure. Was it good? Yes it was good not great. Actually got board at times. Lol. I would never pay more than $100 pp but whatever. The bridge was the best part, everything else didn’t really interest us. We did watch a video before on the whole process of these huge ships which is great. You can look up on Utube instead of taking tour. It’s very cool the process 

1 hour ago, NightOne said:

Not sure how you came by the 7" figure.  Both ships use the same class engine, that has a 460mm bore (the cylinder diameter), hence the 46 in the model number.  From the Wartsila tables, the 16 cylinder engine is 12.687 meters long, while the 12 cylinder is 10.375 meters long, so the 16 cylinder engine is 2.312 meters (91") longer.  The larger engine is slightly wider and taller, mainly due to the larger turbochargers.

Nearly every cruise ship, the "engine room" stretches the entire length of the ship, bow to stern, on the first level.  A bigger ship will have bigger equipment, but for the most part, it is the same machinery, the same number of pumps, motors, purifiers, engines, watermakers, from the smallest ship to the largest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

The propulsion systems are different, some have shafts leading to the props and on Oasis Class it's a shaft leading to the electrical generator that feeds the entire ship and the propulsion system

Do you think that the Carnival ships with shafted propellers have a diesel engine connected to the propeller?  No.  Every cruise ship built in the last 25+ years have diesel electric drive, where the diesel powers a generator, all the generators power the entire ship together, and the propulsion (in the case of a shafted propeller) has electric motors that draw power from this "grid".

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure how you came by the 7" figure.  Both ships use the same class engine, that has a 460mm bore (the cylinder diameter), hence the 46 in the model number.  From the Wartsila tables, the 16 cylinder engine is 12.687 meters long, while the 12 cylinder is 10.375 meters long, so the 16 cylinder engine is 2.312 meters (91") longer.  The larger engine is slightly wider and taller, mainly due to the larger turbochargers.

Nearly every cruise ship, the "engine room" stretches the entire length of the ship, bow to stern, on the first level.  A bigger ship will have bigger equipment, but for the most part, it is the same machinery, the same number of pumps, motors, purifiers, engines, watermakers, from the smallest ship to the largest.

Apparently I cannot read chart or convert metric to English correctly LOL

On 1/11/2023 at 5:25 PM, ace1zoe2 said:

We were not allowed in the engine/mechanical room.  Only the control room. It is a very fascinating tour. Ours was pre-covid, and was a 3 hour tour. Closed toed shoes, long pants or capris. No shorts or skirts. We got the lanyards and a tote bag and kitchen aprons with logo.

Three hour tour... a three hour tour....

Not a good idea on a ship.  Did the weather start getting rough?

😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Do you think that the Carnival ships with shafted propellers have a diesel engine connected to the propeller?  No.  Every cruise ship built in the last 25+ years have diesel electric drive, where the diesel powers a generator, all the generators power the entire ship together, and the propulsion (in the case of a shafted propeller) has electric motors that draw power from this "grid".

First, just to answer you above.  Yes, I fully understand that there the system that drives the props isn't driven directly by the "engines", the electric "motors" do that.  But, the Oasis Class, and I'm sure others, the props are on individual pods that also act as the aft side propulsion/thrusters. There are differences between the Oasis Class engines vs non-pod type propulsion systems. EDITED IN:  I hit submit when I got here by mistake, I'll continue: Not only that I'm sure since the Dream was built there has been a lot of Technical advancements that I'd like to see/learn about.

Any way, this is all obfuscation.  Go back to my original post in this thread.  I just expressed my desire to go on tours on RCCL and into their engine rooms.  Then the pushback.  I just don't understand why people can't just state their desires and move on without ridicule or being challenged.  Can't we just express our opinions and desires without the B.S.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

just booked it on oasis for 158. precovid i did the princess tour. SUPER fantastic. about the same price BUT 4 hours including 1 hour one on one with the captain on the bridge answering any question you wanted. light snack and drink as well. tons of swag, personalized stationery, etc etc. only negative is NO pics. they took about 4 or 5 group pics and they were brought to your cabin. seeing up front where the anchors were is so cool as was the room (forget what it's called. ) where secondary control for the ship is. on star trek youd call it the 2nd bridge i guess lol. the controls were under plastic so no one would accidentally bump them i guess. 

captain said they price it high to keep out the people that really arent into it. 

cant wait to see the inner workings of oasis!

23 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

i have heard that some captains love the Radiance class ships as they are a bit quieter to sail

8 hours ago, PolicromaSol said:

Do you get to see the brig? Or do you only see that if you get in trouble? 🤣

LOL.  Saw the "door", not the inside.  That was on Rustbucket.  I don't remember seeing it on RCCL, my have, just don't remember it.  

But, you are right, there is one sure way to get to see it and that doesn't even require paying for a tour.