What's going on with Royal Caribbean?

ksuyen

Is it only me or Royal Caribbean cruises are going downhill? Or is this the trend for other lines as well? Entertainers are lacking, and the reason as quoted by the Director, not enough people willing to work on cruise post pandemic. Food quality is going downhill. Drinks are more expansive. And the big one: Customer Service is either bad or non existence.

I have upcoming cruise in 2 weeks, and frankly I am quite worried.

• Like 5

I heard the reason for less food is because the food doesn’t want to come on board to be eaten. 

Also, with alcohol - it truly is the great equaliser for the cruise line to get more money because everyone’s drinking. Never seen a bar on a cruise that wasn’t full. 

And with the fact that more people are cruising at a higher price - seems like this is all working.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

With inflation rising, costs are out of control. RCI has to make daily difficult decisions on costs vs returns. They will make their choices. Consumers will have to make similar decisions as recreational dollar are more difficult to come by. Choose wisely, because I suspect there are people lined up behind you to take your inside cabin vs paying for Disneys Galaxy’s Edge. 

• Like 6

I have been away from cruising about one year prior to COVID. So, I have started to get the itch to go again. I believe I am at or one cruise away from Diamond class.

recently I heard RCL is cutting back on food/beverage service to offset inflation.

Is this happening?

we upgraded over the decade from windowless inside cabins, ocean-view cabins, balcony cabins and suites.

The two level suite was great but now retired I think it may be out of our price range.

in the past 10 years what changes have you seen in the service and amenities over that period.

thanks

4 minutes ago, Firestation46-121 said:

recently I heard RCL is cutting back on food/beverage service to offset inflation.

Is this happening?

They have been testing reducing menu options in the dining rooms and changing the lobster night so that a person can get one larger tail and be charged for additional.  The gluttons who would eat as many as ten are up in arms.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

They have been testing reducing menu options in the dining rooms and changing the lobster night so that a person can get one larger tail and be charged for additional.  The gluttons who would eat as many as ten are up in arms.

Yep, we thought the food hogs were silly. Just checked, our level with RCL is platinum. Not sure if that will change anything.

I can live with less food options as long as the quality is good.

I am tempted to pick a suite for a 4 or 5 day cruise from Tampa.

looks to be +/- $2,000 for My wife and I.

I wonder if the suite option still gives us the private suite guest dining room vs the main dining room deal

any thoughts?

Edited by Firestation46-121

It’s not just you. It’s frankly appalling how the quality has fallen in the past 5 years, particularly since Covid. Most on here will defend them and point to the shutdown, but I fear they have damaged their brand irreparably for those of us who have sailed for many years. 

The most noticeable aspects on our recent Serenade and Oasis cruises were the lacking maintenance and cleanliness and the food quality. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Firestation46-121 said:

I can live with less food options as long as the quality is good.

I

Likewise, however that is not the case. It’s a double whammy of less food and lower quality. Minced meat products (hamburgers, meatloaf, hotdogs, etc), pizza, and jello-ish deserts abound, but nothing of quality to be found. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Firestation46-121 said:

I am tempted to pick a suite for a 4 or 5 day cruise from Tampa.

looks to be +/- $2,000 for My wife and I.

I wonder if the suite option still gives us the private suite guest dining room vs the main dining room deal

any thoughts?

The only suite dining option is Coastal Kitchen, which is on newer larger ships. None of the Tampa ships have a suite dining venue. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

It’s not just you. It’s frankly appalling how the quality has fallen in the past 5 years, particularly since Covid. Most on here will defend them and point to the shutdown, but I fear they have damaged their brand irreparably for those of us who have sailed for many years. 

The most noticeable aspects on our recent Serenade and Oasis cruises were the lacking maintenance and cleanliness and the food quality. 

The quality has gone downhill in every business in America. Inflation has effected everything. You can even eat good at home without shelling out big money. What do you expect. It’s not just cruises or royal. Common sense 

11 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

Agreed. The quality has most definitely been going downhill for several years now.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Firestation46-121 said:

in the past 10 years what changes have you seen in the service and amenities over that period.

thanks

Lower quality meats onboard- specialty restaurants no longer serve prime grade beef, lower cost cuts of poultry and pork (chicken is now primarily bone in legs and thighs rather than breast, more turkey and thin pork cuts), more hamburger/hotdog/meatloaf type foods. You no longer see grilled options like chicken breast, salmon, swordfish, or minute steak in the buffet. 

Staffing cutbacks leading to longer lines, lowered level of service, less friendly. Dining is rushed and chaotic compared to a relaxing dining experience. 

Ships used to be spotless and meticulously maintained. Noticeably less preventative maintenance, cleaning, painting, varnishing, etc. is taking place and the ships really show it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, renza said:

Omg. No joke. Every place in America has gone downhill since our amazing Biden screwed our country. What do you expect. Great food and quality when you can’t even good at home.

Lol the downward trend started long before then! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, renza said:

The quality has gone downhill in every business in America. Inflation has effected everything. You can even eat good at home without shelling out big money. What do you expect. It’s not just cruises or royal. Common sense 

I don’t find that to be the case with other industries and establishments which I frequent to the extent that it has happened with Royal Caribbean. 

As I said, most on here will defend it and deny the reality. 

Common sense would be to adjust pricing to reflect at least a resemblance of a quality experience, because once public opinion of a company or industry changes, it is hard and expensive if not impossible to reverse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ksuyen said:

Is it only me or Royal Caribbean cruises are going downhill? Or is this the trend for other lines as well? Entertainers are lacking, and the reason as quoted by the Director, not enough people willing to work on cruise post pandemic. Food quality is going downhill. Drinks are more expansive. And the big one: Customer Service is either bad or non existence.

I have upcoming cruise in 2 weeks, and frankly I am quite worried.

hmmm I thought things were/are getting better over the last few months.  Certainly better on Wonder since debut last Spring.  other Oasis class ships have brought back their plays.

I missed the ones on Allure and Symphony last spring and now they are back.

I took 8 cruises last year and I did not feel service was bad and on each ship perhaps a couple of hiccups but overall cruising is fine.

Remember this web site is about criticizing.  Go on you cruise and DO NOT worry.

Do try some speciality restaurants too.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Firestation46-121 said:

I would like to stick with RCL but if other lines are not in lock step with RCL changes, what lines do you suggest out of Florida ports to try? Thanks

Celebrity is higher quality than Royal, however passengers are reporting similar changes at Celebrity, which isn’t surprising given they are under the same parent company. 

I do think it is industry-wide, but have read that Norwegian, since Covid, has refused to discount their sailings to the point of compromising the quality of product. 

• Like 1

Just now, kruzerci said:

I don’t find that to be the case with other industries and establishments which I frequent to the extent that it has happened with Royal Caribbean. 

As I said, most on here will defend it and deny the reality. 

Common sense would be to adjust pricing to reflect at least a resemblance of a quality experience, because once public opinion of a company or industry changes, it is hard and expensive if not impossible to reverse. 

You must have not been out traveling if you have not noticed any change. Every restaurant we go to charge more for less Quality and quantity. Every hotel has less staff and charge more. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Not sure where this comes from but after doing back to backs from Venice to Tampa on Brilliance in Oct/Nov..I can attest that there was no shortage of Lobsters!…they were smaller tails but plentiful. After the initial one we were offered as many as asked for…and without any kind of charges…on both legs of our cruises. Only complaint was the poorer dining service…but only as compared to pre Covid days.

1 minute ago, Diego Da Monkey said:

Not sure where this comes from but after doing back to backs from Venice to Tampa on Brilliance in Oct/Nov..I can attest that there was no shortage of Lobsters!…they were smaller tails but plentiful. After the initial one we were offered as many as asked for…and without any kind of charges…on both legs of our cruises. Only complaint was the poorer dining service…but only as compared to pre Covid days.

The change involving the lobsters is more recent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Jump on a Carnival Cruise, either you’ll be back to Royal quickly or you’ll find your new love ❤️ 

Ouch, just checked Carnival as you suggested. Seems the reviews on Carnival Paradise are harsh. Perhaps due to the age of ship?

I would like an unobstructed cabin balcony and keep it +/- $2,000 for 5 or 6 days west Caribbean

any suggestions for a better Carnival ship ?

thanks!👍