What's going on with Royal Caribbean?

ksuyen

We have sailed several times since the restart, and had excellent service and food on those cruises.  We only occasionally eat in the dining room, but that was our practice before the shutdown.  We prefer smaller, less crowded, dining venues.

As far as pricing for cruises, we find them to be back like they were before Covid.  We typically book very early for a good price, and over time, possibly have a small price decrease that we can call for.  That is rare for us.  This is the way it was normally. Many don’t seem to remember that.  

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

LOL

I think there are two separate people here.

CruisinNole and CruisingNole.  Note the "g"

Oh wow, you're right!  I didn't even notice that!  Talk about confusing!

This reminds me of a poster that used to use "BigRedNole" as their screen name.  Every time I saw it, I thought "big red mole".

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Oh wow, you're right!  I didn't even notice that!  Talk about confusing!

This reminds me of a poster that used to use "BigRedNole" as their screen name.  Every time I saw it, I thought "big red mole".

When I drove truck for a living in the late 90's, my CB handle was Big Red, and others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamestown478 said:

Normally I could care less if people want to order more food as long as they eat it. Ive seen way too many times where people order all this extra food, eat one or two bites of it and waste it. That is just dumb.

I pretty much could care less what other people are doing... unless they smell badly and get too close to me. 

7 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

"Dancing with Myself" (Billy Idol, 1981)

Billy made dancing (and agreeing) with yourself quite profitable. 

I would say that RCI would welcome him aboard because he is going to purchase an Unlimited Premium Drink package as he and a friend "..sink another drink" as long as the ship stays afloat🤣.

I always thought it was about something different😉

I mentioned this on another topic, however, I recently did a Quantum cruise followed by a Cunard one

and noticed a big difference between prices for my favourite drink. On Cunard, I was paying $9.00  less for my double Chivas than on RCI. I realise prices fluctuate, but that is quite a difference.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Since the restart, we have done 4 cruises.

Sept 2021 on the Anthem doing a UK only cruise. Should have been the Norweigan Fjords, but Covid took care of that. Anyway that ship was only half full and we managed to get a Junior Suite for nothing as the original price dropped and the Suite was now the same price as we paid for a interior. This meant we had access (via booking daily) to the Coastal Kitchen. Well, let me tell you my wife and I dined there every night and it was really great. Better than Chops etc.

Didn't get much entertainment during this cruise. Joff vanished after day 2 and the theatre had nights with nothing on.

Next cruise was in Oct 2021 on the Jewel. This was a med cruise from Cyprus.

Well, this ship was in very good condition for its age.

Again, Cruise director (can't remember her name) went AWOL halfway through the cruise and again, no shows in the theatre on certain nights. Food in the MDR was as before Covid and perfect.

Next cruise was in April 2022 on the Voyager from Barcelona to Copenhagen. Well, this ship looked OK at first glance, and had been laid up as a hospital ship, but on closer inspection there was food under the bed left from when crew had been using the room. We got moved to a Balcony with rusted paintwork and dry/rotten wood on the rail outside. Why someone could not have given it a lick of paint/varnish whilst out of service, I don't know. 

The cruise director (Rob) stayed the distance this time. Again, some shows missing.

Food in the MDR was spot on. Just hope the galley wasn't anything like our first cabin! or second as well!

Our last cruise was in October 2022 on the Anthem doing a TA. This ship has always been kept in good condition, although she is only 8 years old, but still impressive. 

We were inside this time, so no Coastal Kitchen. We had dinner every night in the MDR and was surprised how good it was. We wasn't expecting this, because although we ate at Coastal Kitchen the last time we were on this ship in 2021,  the very first time we were on this ship back in 2019 the MDR was awful and lead to the only time EVER that we had to complain to guest services about the food. So to us, things did actually seem better post Covid.

The cruise director was Mario, and yes he stayed the course (possibly because there was no-where to get off!), but wasn't around much. Now to be fair, maybe the CD's have been warned not to mingle due to possible Covid outbreaks, which is why they seem to disappear from view. 

Entertainment was OK, Beatles Celebration were still on board from 2021s cruise and there was a different (but just as good) lead Spectra in the 270.

I do miss some of the entertainers I used to see, but it may be that they are still around, but on different ships. Can anyone remember seeing Pete Mathews on his tall uni-cycle lately?

I have seen him several times from 2008 to 2016, and I believe he was on board the Anthem at some point recently.

If covid is the reason why entertainers don't want to come on board, then that is a real shame, but I cannot really blame them.

I think all in all things could be better, but they could also be far far worse too. Hopefully, over the course of the next year or two, we may see entertainers coming back. After all, don't they need the cash?

Mick.

Edited by Mick B

On 1/11/2023 at 6:35 AM, twangster said:

Anyone who has massive debt looks for ways to save money.  From a family to a large corporation debt controls them.  

You can still cruise and have a good time even with the cut backs.  

From a family to a large corporation debt controls them.”

except the Federal Government 

• Like 3

I disagree with almost every point the op made.  We never stopped cruising during pandemic if ships were booking and we had one of our best cruises ever on Odyssey last month, food was better, entertainment was stellar, one of the best production shows we ever saw in Show Girls and the Book was spectacular.  There was a while there even before pandemic that the food was subpar, but they seem to have gotten the picture.  I didn't eat the prime rib for a couple years, but on Odyssey it was superb.  So venders are getting better and with the new menus coming on I look for more variety, hopefully.  I'm happy but then I'm a half full gal.

Edited by BecciBoo

We just got off the Jewel of the seas. We were also on the Jewel in November. Staff was great. Dining service for traditional dining was amazing. But then we had a waiter we had before- just couldn't have been better. The food options I chose were very good. My go to for lunch is the pasta station. Delicious. So that was my recent experience. 

On 1/16/2023 at 11:33 AM, Mick B said:

Next cruise was in April 2022 on the Voyager from Barcelona to Copenhagen. Well, this ship looked OK at first glance, and had been laid up as a hospital ship, but on closer inspection there was food under the bed left from when crew had been using the room. We got moved to a Balcony with rusted paintwork and dry/rotten wood on the rail outside. Why someone could not have given it a lick of paint/varnish whilst out of service, I don't know. 

The cruise director (Rob) stayed the distance this time. Again, some shows missing.

Food in the MDR was spot on. Just hope the galley wasn't anything like our first cabin! or second as well!

There is Pre-Pandemic life and Post-Pandemic life.  Now we are dealing with a post-pandemic "hangover". 

We sailed the VOTS back in October.  The ship is "long in the tooth" and it does not seem to be kept up to a high standard.  Staff seemed new (and short staffed).  Dinner orders were messed up nearly every night in the MDR. Some bars were out of simple things like white wine and whiskey (could be a lazy bar manager). The Donut shop served NO donuts and had only cookies and some left over desserts. Drinks were very weak but still pricey. A coffee station could not keep the urns filled and full of coffee on several days in the early morning (blame staffing shortages). 

I know that all the lines are in a big hiring and recruitment phase, and I hope these problems will get behind us soon.  Hard to spend the money that we are laying out and have sub-par offerings.

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I disagree with almost every point the op made.  We never stopped cruising during pandemic if ships were booking and we had one of our best cruises ever on Odyssey last month, food was better, entertainment was stellar, one of the best production shows we ever saw in Show Girls and the Book was spectacular.  There was a while there even before pandemic that the food was subpar, but they seem to have gotten the picture.  I didn't eat the prime rib for a couple years, but on Odyssey it was superb.  So venders are getting better and with the new menus coming on I look for more variety, hopefully.  I'm happy but then I'm a half full gal.

I disagree, I've been on 6 sails since the restart and the taste and quality of the food is hit or miss.

The steak served in the MDR was veiny and chewy.  Same experience on the recent Oasis D+ Lunch with Officers, it was so bad that the only thing on the menu that I enjoyed was the Royal Chocolate cake with Ice Cream.

Also had problems with the pork chops as they were dry and basically inedible.  The first time on Easter Anthem I was looking forward to the Jerk Caribbean style, but alas it was bad.  I could do a better job with Shake & Bake.  Same experience on September Allure sail.  I gave up on the pork chops.

Royal should have changed chefs instead of the menu.🤣

I'm hoping for better food experience on my upcoming Anthem February sail.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2023 at 11:11 AM, fweegy said:

I'll start off by saying that cruising is my favorite form of vacation and I don't see that changing. I'll also say I have been exclusive to RC since 2002. I would not even consider using another cruise line in all that time. Because of that we have risen to D+. Over the past few years both my wife and I have noticed a small but steady decline in quality on RC, even pre pandemic. Just seems a tad bit worse with each cruise. We use to enjoy the specialty restaurants but have decided not to partake anymore after my last 3 rib eyes at Chops were almost thinner than minute steaks. Giovanni's has become a wine and pizza joint, and a not very good one at that. After our experiences the past few years the wife and I decided to do what RC seems to have done, toss the loyalty out the window. We are trying out a NCL cruise in 2024. Frankly, the ports were better and the price (with perks) was a lot better than anything RC offered. Sorry this is so long winded, figured it was a good place to vent a little.

Giovanni’s does not have pizza on menu.

• Haha 1

I didn't notice any significant issues in service or food on Oasis last month.  MDR service seemed to take a little longer than usual but it was still very attentive and friendly.  The one trip to WJ was pretty much WJ as usual--tons of food, tons of selection and tons of people all fighting for seating.  

There were plenty of agents available at guest services and agents with ipads would assist with people queued up with small issues to help move along the queue.  

We spent a lot of time in Coastal Kitchen and the suite lounge and service was impeccable.  

The suites were showing some wear and tear, but nothing too unexpected (loose door latches and drawer pulls).  Apparently the showerhead in the smaller bathroom was dripping, and maintenance fixed it promptly.

The extension cord and distilled water for the cpap (requested about 2 months in advance) never showed up, but it wasn't an issue since DH used his travel cpap machine.  The tumbler for the soda package for my son never showed up either, but he hates the freestyle machines and would usually just get soda from a bar so it worked out fine.  We already have several of those tumblers cluttering up our pantry as it is. 

1 hour ago, fweegy said:

Better check again, Giovanni's Kitchen most certainly does.

I've eaten at Giovanni's Table many times and at least for dinner don't recall seeing pizza on menu.  They do have Focaccia as an appetizer.  Don't know whether pizza is on the kiddie's menu.

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I've eaten at Giovanni's Table many times and at least for dinner don't recall seeing pizza on menu.  They do have Focaccia as an appetizer.  Don't know whether pizza is on the kiddie's menu.

At the risk of being told that this is just a "SAMPLE", here you go.  BTW, there are Pizza Bites as an appetizer on what looks like the kids portion of the menu, only.  That doesn't mean that you can't ask for a pizza or slice of pizza (off menu) and get it.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/menus/giovannis-table-menu-sample.pdf

On 1/19/2023 at 6:45 PM, nelblu said:

I disagree, I've been on 6 sails since the restart and the taste and quality of the food is hit or miss.

The steak served in the MDR was veiny and chewy.  Same experience on the recent Oasis D+ Lunch with Officers, it was so bad that the only thing on the menu that I enjoyed was the Royal Chocolate cake with Ice Cream.

Also had problems with the pork chops as they were dry and basically inedible.  The first time on Easter Anthem I was looking forward to the Jerk Caribbean style, but alas it was bad.  I could do a better job with Shake & Bake.  Same experience on September Allure sail.  I gave up on the pork chops.

Royal should have changed chefs instead of the menu.🤣

I'm hoping for better food experience on my upcoming Anthem February sail.

I have to agree with you, we’ve done 15 cruises since the restart, 4 of them were on Celebrity, one a Viking River cruise, the rest on 7different Royal ships.  Food has been, as you say, hit or miss on all of them.  

Our most recent cruise was a B2B on Jewel in December.  I ordered the French onion soup the first night, instead of being served in the crock with the cheese all melted and gooey, it came in one of the usual white soup cups and I had to hunt for any cheese.😂   Tried it again on the 2nd week, it was back to normal.  Different chef?

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317