Does the MDR still have a dress code?

NMTraveller

9 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Am sorry you are upset about the post.  

Seems sad to spend so much energy on whether one can wear shorts to the MDR for dinner.  Cruising and thing things that made cruising special are rapidly going away.  

If all the long time cruisers that post (and lurk) here go away the Celebrity can save all that free laundry and have younger people who are happy with doing whatever they like.

I'm not upset and I'm not young. 

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I forsee the policy relaxing due to the reduction of the oceanview cafe' options. I will be on the Connie later this week and can report back.

Why would the MDR policy change?  I would see your point if the Oceanview Buffet was entirely eliminated for dinner.  But not in the case of reduced selections.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Why would the MDR policy change?  I would see your point if the Oceanview Buffet was entirely eliminated for dinner.  But not in the case of reduced selections.  

I could be wrong but this is my rational: Most main stream cruise lines are now allowing a choice for a relaxed dinner wearing shorts because it appears to be what a large % of the population wants. Reports here of empty evening buffets has never been my experience. Even HAL allows shorts in the mdr (although the policy states pants).

What was initially reported as buffet selections is not really dinner IMO. I go to the buffet to get a fresh, hot, healthy meal. Something that is difficult to get in a plated mdr meal. Hubby prefers shorts most nights. Since the current offerings take the buffet out of our options for a healthy dinner, we would eat 💯 in the MDR. Hubby will insist on a different cruise line where he has options.

I don’t think we are alone and I’m not convinced that the majority of people will sign up to sail with a 100% pants requirement (because  no other reasonable options exist). Most people want choices for where to dine and the current reported buffet offerings really do not offer us a dinner option.

Now, with all that said, it appears Celebrity is getting a significant push back to the reported buffet options. The initial reports were very unhealthy. We want a fresh grill, fresh stir fry, great pasta options. We are fine if only one is offered each night and I’m hopeful Celebrity will take the suggestions to add back in made to order station.

The challenge is to find a happy medium where a relaxed dining option is offered for those of us who just don’t want the formality of the mdr each night while reducing cost. Again, I’m convinced we are a significant portion of the cruising population and I don’t believe Celebrity can afford the loss in load factor. 

Im leaving on the Connie Friday and will report exactly what is offered. Hopefully Celebrity is listening and will find a way to save cost without driving us to the mdr each night. That way they can keep the pants requirement in the mdr for those of you who want it. 

Btw- since this change has not be n communicated officially, I bet the farm there are men boarding this week without a single pair of pants packed. I’m also betting exceptions will be made to accommodate them. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dress Code/shorts/flip-flops in the Dining Room conversations have been Cruise Critic fodder for years! And I freely admit that years ago, I was somewhat bothered when I saw grown men sporting T-shirts and shorts and baseball caps being allowed in. (I'd silently cheer if they were turned away.) We don't wear ball gowns or tuxes or anything that cumbersome, but we've always tried to look "nice" for the dining room. Still do ... our choice.

But am I still bothered if someone wants to hold "casual/comfortable" to a lower bar? Heck no! We sit at a table for two. What you wear is your own business. Of course, I wouldn't want to be next to a guy in a tank top with hairy armpits and a baseball cap that advertises political slogans! Probably though, that guy would prefer to be in the Ocean View anyway.

Times are different and I am older. I won't lower my standards, but I've learned to go with the flow.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I could be wrong but this is my rational: Most main stream cruise lines are now allowing a choice for a relaxed dinner wearing shorts because it appears to be what a large % of the population wants. Reports here of empty evening buffets has never been my experience. Even HAL allows shorts in the mdr (although the policy states pants).

What was initially reported as buffet selections is not really dinner IMO. I go to the buffet to get a fresh, hot, healthy meal. Something that is difficult to get in a plated mdr meal. Hubby prefers shorts most nights. Since the current offerings take the buffet out of our options for a healthy dinner, we would eat 💯 in the MDR. Hubby will insist on a different cruise line where he has options.

I don’t think we are alone and I’m not convinced that the majority of people will sign up to sail with a 100% pants requirement (because  no other reasonable options exist). Most people want choices for where to dine and the current reported buffet offerings really do not offer us a dinner option.

Now, with all that said, it appears Celebrity is getting a significant push back to the reported buffet options. The initial reports were very unhealthy. We want a fresh grill, fresh stir fry, great pasta options. We are fine if only one is offered each night and I’m hopeful Celebrity will take the suggestions to add back in made to order station.

The challenge is to find a happy medium where a relaxed dining option is offered for those of us who just don’t want the formality of the mdr each night while reducing cost. Again, I’m convinced we are a significant portion of the cruising population and I don’t believe Celebrity can afford the loss in load factor. 

Im leaving on the Connie Friday and will report exactly what is offered. Hopefully Celebrity is listening and will find a way to save cost without driving us to the mdr each night. That way they can keep the pants requirement in the mdr for those of you who want it. 

Btw- since this change has not be n communicated officially, I bet the farm there are men boarding this week without a single pair of pants packed. I’m also betting exceptions will be made to accommodate them. 

Thanks!  I do understand your points.  And pants.😁

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, sun bum said:

Posted outside of Celebrity restaurants. Pretty straight forward!

dress code.jpg

See, this is the answer.  Not all this "don't embarrass yourself" stuff.  Just a straight forward answer without looking down your nose at anyone.

On RCL, I wear nice shorts and a polo or button up shirt.  Why?  Because I'm permitted to do so.  If Celebrity requires slacks, I shall wear slacks on my upcoming cruise.

I live in FL.  When I go out to dinner, I wear shorts and a nice shirt to nice restaurants.  Heck, when I was a kid visiting grandparents in FL in the 70s, we wore shorts to Catholic church on Sundays.  Nice clothes. 

No one gets hurt, lightning doesn't strike.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, shellunderwater said:

See, this is the answer. 

Except this may not be the answer.

Often times policy and the actual practice in place are different (think HAL). Changes to the ocean view cafe' are very recent (not sure how old that photo is). Celebrity has not made a formal announcement that the ocean view buffet choices have been scaled back. Therefore; it is likely men will be boarding without packing shorts because they have not anticipated this change.  Doubtful Celebrity will summons them to eating for 7  days off the very limited menu that has been reported.

Also; when calling Celebrity to express concerns about the buffet changes, the representative is stating shorts are allowed since it is Celebrity that made the changes to the ocean view cafe. So there we have it. At least one person from Celebrity stating shorts are no longer a hard no in the MDR for dinner (have they ever REALLY been a hard no? We follow the rules and DH will put on pants when in the dining room, but I absolutely have witnessed shorts (although never on chic night).

People want choice. Up until last week, people had a choice to get a fresh, hot, healthy meal while dining in shorts and choose to sail Celebrity. It appears that choice has been removed. I suspect accommodations will be made.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

There were guidelines last week on the Millie. Seriously, do shorts belong in a dining room at dinner? You are not at home. What would you wear to a nice restaurant?

Shorts in the summer. It was 100 degrees for days on end here last summer. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Shorts in the summer. It was 100 degrees for days on end here last summer. 

In Vegas they have some Bellagio restaurants with outdoor patios overlooking the fountains, they make the men wear pants even when it's 110f.  The restaurant Prime, had a stock of black slacks you could borrow

6 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

It is true, we do mostly live our lives in shorts, but we also been taught how to dress in certain circumstances. The sign says no shorts, so you respect that. I was not allowed on the heliport because I did not have closed toed shoes. Next time I will bring some.

I believe the question is being asked because of the cutbacks to the oceanview dining. That has been pitched as a venue of the place to have dinner and where shorts. If the cutbacks are as extreme as some claim I think people might start wearing shorts in the MDR. 

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Also; when calling Celebrity to express concerns about the buffet changes, the representative is stating shorts are allowed since it is Celebrity that made the changes to the ocean view cafe. So there we have it. At least one person from Celebrity stating shorts are no longer a hard no in the MDR for dinner

A lot of time reps on the phone will tell you what you want to hear. Time will tell if that is the reality.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

In Vegas they have some Bellagio restaurants with outdoor patios overlooking the fountains, they make the men wear pants even when it's 110f.  The restaurant Prime, had a stock of black slacks you could borrow

I live in Cowtown. I wear usually long pants in the winter. Except today it was 84 degrees. I am wearing shorts.

Edited by Charles4515

11 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

..............they make the men wear pants even when it's 110f.  

I can tell you where we wouldn't be dining in Vegas. We vote with our wallet and that just sounds miserable.

We are fortunate enough to winter in Maui. Don't even pack a pair of pants other than what we wear on the plane. 4 months dining in some very nice establishments with views that make the Bellagio fountains look like a walmart sprinkler system, and not one pants requirement. Anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

A lot of time reps on the phone will tell you what you want to hear. Time will tell if that is the reality.

I'm boarding the Connie on Friday. I will report the current requirements. I'll also snap a pic of the entrance to see if the sign remains.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I can tell you where we wouldn't be dining in Vegas. We vote with our wallet and that just sounds miserable.

We are fortunate enough to winter in Maui. Don't even pack a pair of pants other than what we wear on the plane. 4 months dining in some very nice establishments with views that make the Bellagio fountains look like a walmart sprinkler system, and not one pants requirement. Anywhere.

A patio table isn't the easiest to get but wanted to surprise someone for their 30th BDay but yes it was so hot (lol)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That will be interesting but next week might not be enough time. 

It's a 10 day cruise. We depart on January 23rd. The change went into effect Jan 1st. That's over 3 weeks for Celebrity to gather data and make adjustments. Of course, there will likely be additional changes. The world is still fluid.

Hubby and I (and 11 other couples) set sail Saturday on the Apex. 

So for dinner I'll be wearing either nice jeans (no holes, dark color) or capris with a nice top. I'll also be wearing dressy, sparkly looking flip flops that have somewhat of a "heel." I did read on the website that nice jeans are ok. 

Bottom line - I'm on vacation and want to be comfortable. I'm looking forward to relaxing and de-stressing. I don't want to dress up, but I won't wear shorts in the MDR. 

This will be our first time sailing with Celebrity. We are also sailing in September on Celebrity on a 10-day Med cruise - now that I can't wait for!!!

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It's a 10 day cruise. We depart on January 23rd. The change went into effect Jan 1st. That's over 3 weeks for Celebrity to gather data and make adjustments. Of course, there will likely be additional changes. The world is still fluid.

They have not announced any change to the dress requests. Is there any change on the website? Wouldn't they post any reviion there? As you can see the more traditional cruisers expect no shorts and Connie I expect draws a more traditional Celebrity demographic. 

38 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I live in Cowtown. I wear usually long pants in the winter. Except today it was 84 degrees. I am wearing shorts.

The MDR is air-conditioned. AND it can be chilly, you might be glad you have on those slacks!