Beware of the soot!

david05

I recall others have mentioned a soot problem, particularly at the back of the ship. Just got off the Spirit of Adventure and the soot problem was much worse than any previous cruise. Towels were provided at the Secret Garden as the chair cushions were getting so filthy but as well the railings at the back were often spotted with soot and if you touched them you came away with dirty hands or arms. The problem was not confined to the back of the ship as there were complaints sometimes about soot on the Lido deck (one swimmer said he got out of the pool covered in black spots). I hope Saga get this sorted out soon as it is not pleasant (a fairly senior officer blamed cheap fuel). I am happy to say, however, that the cruise was nevertheless very enjoyable.

Captain Tanner was asked about this at a Q and A on Discovery last week.   I don’t remember everything he said in reply but two points were that some remedial work was scheduled for dry dock (this week) but that the  problem would never be entirely eliminated and was an issue for other cruise ships as well. 

I was on Spirit of Adventure last October and wasn't aware of the soot until the day I was wearing a white blouse and found  two black stains on it.   I have managed to get rid of one but the other one on the collar won't budge.   I am sailing again in May and hope the problem is solved by then.   

Spirit of Adventure is not due Refit Work until 2025 at the earliest & is currently on the way to Lisbon enjoying nearly six metre waves entering the Bay of Biscay!. Spirit of Discovery is currently having a Refit in Bremerhaven Germany until early February.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:51 PM, tiggis said:

Captain Tanner was asked about this at a Q and A on Discovery last week.   I don’t remember everything he said in reply but two points were that some remedial work was scheduled for dry dock (this week) but that the  problem would never be entirely eliminated and was an issue for other cruise ships as well. 

He did and remedial work is on the works schedule.  

On 1/13/2023 at 10:48 AM, FatBoy20 said:

Spirit of Adventure is not due Refit Work until 2025 at the earliest & is currently on the way to Lisbon enjoying nearly six metre waves entering the Bay of Biscay!. Spirit of Discovery is currently having a Refit in Bremerhaven Germany until early February.

This is the first time for Discovery to go into dry dock as set down in the official maintenance schedule.  Sofa not obliged to go earlier 

On 1/12/2023 at 2:28 PM, david05 said:

I recall others have mentioned a soot problem, particularly at the back of the ship. Just got off the Spirit of Adventure and the soot problem was much worse than any previous cruise. Towels were provided at the Secret Garden as the chair cushions were getting so filthy but as well the railings at the back were often spotted with soot and if you touched them you came away with dirty hands or arms. The problem was not confined to the back of the ship as there were complaints sometimes about soot on the Lido deck (one swimmer said he got out of the pool covered in black spots). I hope Saga get this sorted out soon as it is not pleasant (a fairly senior officer blamed cheap fuel). I am happy to say, however, that the cruise was nevertheless very enjoyable.

No way was it cheap fuel! It's the design of the original funnel and areas attached to it. So big changes are afoot on the Discovery to correct this. However no ship is 100%, free

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

No way was it cheap fuel! It's the design of the original funnel and areas attached to it. So big changes are afoot on the Discovery to correct this. However no ship is 100%, free

If it was just a design fault why was the soot problem on the recent SOA cruise so much worse than our previous cruises on both Adventure and Discovery?

• 3 months later...

Passenger sharing insights. I am retired and not involved with Saga apart from being a customer.

-------

I spoke with Captain Tanner.

I shared my thoughts regarding the soot issue. I was robust in my questioning. 

Insights 

SofDiscovery has been updated to reduce the soot issue.

SofAdventure was updated today(7 May 2023) to reduce the soot issue.

The goal is to reduce the soot issue. 

The issue was related to fuel choice. 

But, the issue is also related to the methods used to reduce 'smoking' by particle spraying the exhaust with water.  The side effect is the damp soot particles fall directly onto the top decks ( floors and cloth materials ). 

The issue was not the responsibility of the ship builder. 

In another discussion the 'Open Space Officer/Manager' shared the crew were able to manage the situation [until resolved] by cleaning and use of towels.

A few other insights.  There was a maintenance crew on board working in the stacks in preparation for the Dover works during last cruise; in Dover, this morning, there was a huge crane and a large piece of engineering dockside ( I do have a photo).

Summary 

SAGA are working to resolve the issue. 

• Like 4

Just back from our forth cruise on this lovely ship. Lots of soot and smuts on upper decks.

The crew clean hand rails, and mop decks  on a continuous basis, and provide towels to use on the chairs. Without towels you would have damage to your clothes. I now have several shirts with black spots.

On one formal night we questioned the captain about this , and were told it is a problem for all cruise ships!!! , and not a problem with the fuel.

On our previous trips we did not notice this problem. The ship arrived in Dover and a very large crane was being assembled, and a very large new metal assembly on the dock side. Work had been going on in the funnel during the cruise, perhaps preparing for a major modification.

Why don't Saga admit they have a problem, and inform passengers accordingly.

Apart from the smuts the cruise was everything we wanted. 

Hope Sage sort this out before our next cruise in the Autumn.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

If you feel inclined, and have time, Tts,  it would be good to hear your views on your cruise.

OK. On M25 just now on the Saga return transport . Will write a precis later. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

OK. On M25 just now on the Saga return transport . Will write a precis later. 

Very much hope that you enjoyed your cruise. Hope that it was exciting, exhilarating and refreshing. Look forward also to reading about the ports of call, the food, entertainment and atmosphere on board. And... about what you enjoyed most. Nice snaps of the joy of cruising would also be wonderful.

These are a few we took just a couple of months ago...

IMG_9207.thumb.jpeg.3534735dc6d378b025f829c62bf8d08f.jpeg

DSC_1992.thumb.jpeg.0926c186c351d2233eff997717e6f427.jpeg

IMG_9517.thumb.jpeg.9bf2370305f616ff7ac606ab59d72eeb.jpeg

DSC_2658.thumb.jpeg.4d853bd4a1c594f526be9d449e54b30e.jpeg

DSC_2687.thumb.jpeg.88860ca8c061b0bcd7ff21c9d04faa31.jpeg

IMG_9302.thumb.jpeg.0a5acf54f1592a26af5088a57fc46049.jpeg

_DSC6074.thumb.jpeg.3e3a49f58c32e416a21aafcae00656db.jpeg

IMG_9416.thumb.jpeg.19d5308bef8fd514fd3e28b98ce9e08f.jpeg

DSC_1224.thumb.jpeg.dd8397ce68e4c4d0b4feab5c6b7e74b6.jpeg

IMG_9735.thumb.jpeg.ab9926f85adb916f4c4377c0b83fabf0.jpeg

IMG_9375.thumb.jpeg.8f334b305222371b58347e5ffe2d9272.jpeg

IMG_9416.thumb.jpeg.19d5308bef8fd514fd3e28b98ce9e08f.jpeg

DSC_0722.thumb.jpeg.bf5f0d1129300c451ebcdaacbc28f4a5.jpeg

IMG_9224.thumb.jpeg.cd2e3f3ef3efd1720b9cdad85900afba.jpeg

Edited by twotravellersLondon
  • Like 1

Sadly, I have to report that the soot situation worsened during our SofD cruise (post 13 refers). The last three sea days were the worst. It was very windy so perhaps that had something to do with it. Clearly Saga has not resolved the problem.

1 hour ago, Medeba said:

Sadly, I have to report that the soot situation worsened during our SofD cruise (post 13 refers). The last three sea days were the worst. It was very windy so perhaps that had something to do with it. Clearly Saga has not resolved the problem.

So sorry to hear that from someone who's just returned.

How bad was it? Did it deter people from using the decks? Would it ruin a holiday? Did you ask for compensation? Was it so bad that you think that we should consider cancelling our next cruise on the Sprit of Discovery?

Of all of the FOCLs, P&O, Cunard & Princess ships that we've sailed on we much prefer the Spirits... so it really would be a great shame if this "problem" was so great as to affect our choice of cruise.

We're so looking forward to our next cruise on the Sprit of Discovery... and to the joys of the open deck...even got our place on deck planned... looking forward to the pool, wandering around the promenade deck and looking out for wildlife... and the twilights... one of the best times of the day as far as we're concerned.

_DSC0953.thumb.jpeg.c36000f2997ea5d6e1cb053aa6188bed.jpeg

_DSC0988.thumb.jpeg.abe4bb4179f99749310efc962b5dad00.jpeg

IMG_4692.thumb.jpeg.a1ee55d48c8f15258bb153c7330d3b2c.jpeg

DSC_9038.thumb.jpeg.fd2b832a334da4e0aad901cf0092cf02.jpeg

IMG_5279.thumb.jpeg.3377eec5ffae155bc495aee6a0e6c340.jpeg

1 hour ago, JoJo1947 said:

Cancel 😀 just don't wear light clothing. A lot depends on the wind but we've never had a soot problem and we've sailed many nights on the Discovery 

I have only sailed with Saga 3 times -1xSofA, 2xSofD - but have not encountered a soot problem on any of them. Indeed, I was not aware there was one until reading of it on these boards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Denarius said:

I have only sailed with Saga 3 times -1xSofA, 2xSofD - but have not encountered a soot problem on any of them. Indeed, I was not aware there was one until reading of it on these boards.

If it was that bad it would be on the social media groups. Not mentioned once 

• Like 1

On SoA in January it was generally unsuitable weather for sitting outside, even in the Canaries. However, while walking around the outside decks it was quite noticeable that much of the seating upholstery was badly marked with soot specks. In some areas there were sooty deposits on the handrails too.

13 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

If it was that bad it would be on the social media groups. Not mentioned once 

I didn't realise I had to sign up to social media to discover if something was truly bad 😀. The pictures at post #12 give a true indication of how bad it was at the beginning of the year and I'm pleased that it now seems to be much improved.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

True, David05, every picture tells a story. It can’t be denied: there definitely has been/?is an ongoing soot problem. I just hope it’s fixed soon and the upholstery cleaned up in time for our next cruise.

• Like 1