Live from Viking Octantis - Antarctic Explorer - January 17-29

Australia08

I’ve so enjoyed reading your entries and seeing your wonderful photos! My husband and I are taking our first Viking cruise from Iceland to New York in May so I’m glad to hear all the positive comments about the staff and crew. A friend has been in Antarctica this week on another cruise line and they, too, have had to adjust their landing plans due to weather, but both of your trips sound amazing. Thanks so much for sharing— my friend writes a wonderful blog so I have enjoyed “traveling “ with her as well. 

3 hours ago, aungrl said:

Loved following along!  We were in some of these same places about 10 years ago and all of your wonderful photos brought back so many great memories.  I'm so glad you took the time to post!

42 minutes ago, allyg said:

I’ve so enjoyed reading your entries and seeing your wonderful photos! My husband and I are taking our first Viking cruise from Iceland to New York in May so I’m glad to hear all the positive comments about the staff and crew. A friend has been in Antarctica this week on another cruise line and they, too, have had to adjust their landing plans due to weather, but both of your trips sound amazing. Thanks so much for sharing— my friend writes a wonderful blog so I have enjoyed “traveling “ with her as well. 

Thanks for following along!  

• Like 1

Thanks for doing this detailed trip report.  Love all the pictures, too.  Your pre and post cruise activities looked great.  For the cruise itself, it sounded like it went reasonably well given some of the weather constraints.  For someone taking this trip in the future, are there any things (good or bad) to highlight about visiting Antarctica on Viking that it would be good to know in advance.  Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, Australia08 said:

Tuesday, January 31 - Iguazu National Park (Argentina)

Even though our flight was delayed by about 2 hours, it still seemed like an early morning departure for us.  We flew from the domestic airport in Buenos Aires to Puerto Iguazu Cataratas Del Iguazu International Airport.  We were met there by a guide who took us immediately to the hotel to leave our bags before heading into the park on the Argentinean side.  We stayed at the Gran Melia, right on the edge of the park. It’s a beautiful hotel - our room had a wonderful terrace with distant views of the Devil’s Throat. 

Thank you @Australia08 for sharing your adventures with us.  I've really enjoyed "traveling" along with you!  When you traveled to Iguazu Falls, did you book a private tour or was this a Viking extension?  We are looking to book a multiday tour to Iguazu for our February 2024 South America & Chilean Fjords cruise with Viking, and would love any suggestions. 

TIA! 

18 hours ago, Moonlion said:

Thank you @Australia08 for sharing your adventures with us.  I've really enjoyed "traveling" along with you!  When you traveled to Iguazu Falls, did you book a private tour or was this a Viking extension?  We are looking to book a multiday tour to Iguazu for our February 2024 South America & Chilean Fjords cruise with Viking, and would love any suggestions. 

TIA! 

Hi, Moonlion.  This was a private tour.  Background - prior to Covid I had a deposit on a tour through a private tour company for an Australian rail experience.  When Covid cancelled that, they retained my deposit and I had two years to use it on anything else.  We decided to use them to arrange our hotels and guides for our extended trip in Buenos Aires to Iguazu to Rio.  It was a bit pricey, but they did a great job having guides to transport us between locations, taking care of all ticket costs, and arranging the hotels.  I'm sure a Viking extension would work out ok, too, but my advice for Iguazu is that both the Gran Melia and Belmond are great hotels.  The only thing is, I'd actually prefer 2 nights at the Gran Melia and 3 at the Belmond so you can spend lots of time in the park, but also have plenty of time for the hotels, too.  I felt that one night didn't give me enough time to enjoy Gran Melia experiences, and while 2 nights were great at the Belmond, that hotel is so wonderful, I'd just want more.  Be sure that an extension gives you time at both sides of the falls.  They really feel like two different places even though you can see the Belmond from the Gran Melia and the Gran Melia from the Belmond.

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 1:36 PM, hbtraveler said:

Thanks for doing this detailed trip report.  Love all the pictures, too.  Your pre and post cruise activities looked great.  For the cruise itself, it sounded like it went reasonably well given some of the weather constraints.  For someone taking this trip in the future, are there any things (good or bad) to highlight about visiting Antarctica on Viking that it would be good to know in advance.  Thanks again!

The most important thing to consider is how much time you would like to spend on land.  I know a smaller expedition ship would have given us more "landing" opportunities.  You need to balance that with the wonderful "ship" experience you will have on Viking.  The rooms, service, and food were exceptional.  I also liked the fact that they loaned us most of the clothing and equipment we needed for the "outings."  Since we needed warm weather and cold weather clothes, it was so nice not to have to lug along boots, waterproof pants, and parkas (you get to keep the parkas).

On 2/17/2023 at 8:52 AM, springtravel said:

I so enjoyed your trip report and pictures.  Your journey looked magical and we hope to follow in your footsteps one of the days.  We are currently preparing for our first Viking cruise in April, but I know we will be hooked and ready for more.

Enjoy your first Viking cruise!  Our first was to Cuba; after that we were hooked.

• Like 2

Apologies if this info is within the thread, we are on this ship in 3 weeks time, just wondered if anyone can indicate if there is a guitarist/singer onboard , how regularly they perform and who the performer is currently on Octantis.

Jim and Hilary (UK) 

On 2/19/2023 at 1:41 PM, geordie_jim said:

Apologies if this info is within the thread, we are on this ship in 3 weeks time, just wondered if anyone can indicate if there is a guitarist/singer onboard , how regularly they perform and who the performer is currently on Octantis.

Jim and Hilary (UK) 

There was a classical duo and a contemporary duo who played in the evenings, either in the livingroom or Explorers.  That was the only entertainment available.  No shows - just daily briefings and lectures.

• 2 weeks later...

Because of following your thread we have booked our first Viking cruise on the Octantis in Antartica, January 31, 2024.  Thank you so much for all of the info and the photos.  I have a million questions.  Prior to your cruise did you reserve any specialty restaurants?  Antartica seems to be the luck of the draw as far as landings but your posts have indicated that if a landing is cancelled Viking does its best to substitute.  Is the Spa open to all guests without charge unless you are reserving a treatment?  Did you bring your parka home or was it too bulky for your luggage.  I loved all of your pre and post cruise adventures and we are beginning to plan.  Thank you so much for this "live from" thread.  Cherie   

On 2/18/2023 at 8:34 AM, Australia08 said:

The most important thing to consider is how much time you would like to spend on land.  I know a smaller expedition ship would have given us more "landing" opportunities.  You need to balance that with the wonderful "ship" experience you will have on Viking.  The rooms, service, and food were exceptional.  I also liked the fact that they loaned us most of the clothing and equipment we needed for the "outings."  Since we needed warm weather and cold weather clothes, it was so nice not to have to lug along boots, waterproof pants, and parkas (you get to keep the parkas).

Looking at the Viking website, they have another cruise "Antarctic Adventure" which is 15 days, instead of the 13 days of your Antarctic Explorer cruise.  The only difference I see is that there are 2 more days near Antarctica. Given the weather variably and its impact on landing opportunities, do you think that having 2 extra days down there would have made a big difference on your enjoyment of the cruise?  Just trying to get a feel if it would make sense to spend the extra money for 2 more days.  Thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2023 at 4:40 PM, Australia08 said:

January 17 - Buenos Aires

Another lovely day in Buenos Aires.  We had breakfast in the Executive Lounge at the Hilton, then headed downstairs to check in with the Viking Desk.  We are on the third bus tomorrow morning so we don’t have to be downstairs for breakfast until 4:15 am. Thank heavens we're not on the first bus!  We walked down to meet our Iconic Buenos Aires walking food tour at 12:30.  It was a wonderful food tour.  Our guide took us around the neighborhood to visit some of the historic buildings in San Telmo.  Then we went to the Public Market area.  Our first stop was at the El Horneros shop for empanadas and local beer.  After this delicious tasting, we went outside of the market to a wonderful wine shop where we were introduced to three Argentinian wines - a Mastaba Torrentes from Stone Winery in Salta, a Malbec from Mendoza and a Cabernet Franc from Mendoza.  Each was excellent.  The tastings were accompanied by a selection of regional cheese.  Following this relaxing tasting, we returned to the market to enjoy choripán, a wonderful chorizo sandwich with a nice salsa mayo.  I had a glass of Malbec, Mike had another local beer.  Following this, we headed over to another market stall for steak, fries, and grilled provoleta (grilled provolone with oregano and olive oil).  With this, I had another glass of Malbec and Mike had another local beer.  We were stuffed, but it was time to go to another stall for yerba mate and alfajor, a lovely cookie filled with dulce de leche and covered in chocolate.  Our guide prepared the yerba mate in a ceremonial way - it was delicious and relaxing.  Our last stop was at an ice cream shop that was outside the market.  I had a dulce de leche ice cream and Mike had dulce de leche and chocolate negro.  It was  the perfect sweet ending to our Argentinean food tour.  I highly recommend this excellent walking food tour if you find yourself in Buenos Aires!

After stuffing ourselves all afternoon, we headed back to the hotel about 5:30.  We went to the happy hour at the executive lounge, but found that we were too stuffed to have more than a sip of wine. 

We put our large bag out to be collected by Viking and decided to watch a bit of TV before we turn in for our early morning charter flight to our expedition ship.

Could you please share the name of the company that did your food tour?  We will be in BA in January and that sounds ideal.  Thank you!

Elizabeth

31 minutes ago, Buffyr said:

Could you please share the name of the company that did your food tour?  We will be in BA in January and that sounds ideal.  Thank you!

Elizabeth

Never mind!  I see you answered the question for another member. Thank you!