Unsatisfactory Embarkation and Disembarkation in San Pedro on the NCL Joy

wildcats40

On 1/14/2023 at 2:41 AM, njhorseman said:

Since your ship will be departing from Berth 46 NCL is correct...they can't put anything else in your e docs .

I think you'll find that you can't go to Berth 46 on your own and the driver of any vehicle that is transporting you will be directed to go to the main Berth 92/93 complex....however that isn't from personal experience but rather my reading into what other cruisers have said...but I could be misinterpreting.

We went from Berth 46 recently. Got dropped off there by taxi, ni problem. Lots of cars and buses letting people off there. 
I gave the specific address and berth number to the taxi driver but he took us to the main terminal anyway. He said Berth 46 doesn’t exist. Finally we managed to get him to go to the correct berth. 

• 4 weeks later...

Norwegian Joy embarkation San Pedro pier 92 Feb 5, 2023

Thought I would provide an update. For our cruise embarkation we arrived at 10:45am and lined up. We waited outside under a tent for about an hour. By the time the line moved, when we got outside, we saw rows and rows of people lined up in the mild sun. We heard  through the grapevine that NCL had had computer problems. Once the line moved, we sped through check in and got right on the ship. We were fairly near the front of the line, though, so not sure how long it took all the people behind us. 

Had a great cruise.

A little off topic but our cruise on the Joy this Sunday embarks at Pier 92 but we disembark at 46. How does that work with luggage pick up and transportation to the airport.  We are hoping to carry off our bags (not early) and take NCL bus to LAX...does it pick you up at 46 or do they have a shuttle to 92? We typically use private transportation but with all these port changes, thought the NCL bus might be easier this time.

58 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

A little off topic but our cruise on the Joy this Sunday embarks at Pier 92 but we disembark at 46. How does that work with luggage pick up and transportation to the airport.  We are hoping to carry off our bags (not early) and take NCL bus to LAX...does it pick you up at 46 or do they have a shuttle to 92? We typically use private transportation but with all these port changes, thought the NCL bus might be easier this time.

I'm on this cruise. Where did you see info about disembarkation?

I have sailed in and out of this port multiple times and really can't wrap my head around how this is going to work.  Guess we will find out in a week! My flight isn't until after noon but am really hoping the NCL transportation is at berth 50 and we don't have to go anywhere else.  I will ask at Guest Services once we board but not too confident that they will know much.

Enjoy your cruise!

11 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I have sailed in and out of this port multiple times and really can't wrap my head around how this is going to work.  Guess we will find out in a week! My flight isn't until after noon but am really hoping the NCL transportation is at berth 50 and we don't have to go anywhere else.  I will ask at Guest Services once we board but not too confident that they will know much.

Enjoy your cruise!

I agree. We did a Carnival cruise last month where we had to park off site & that was a real hassle. Can't figure out why we can't berth closer as there appears that only one other ship is in port that day & they regularly handle 2 ships at a time

18 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I'd just order an Uber or Lyft, making sure you put in the correct destination and messaging your driver to make sure he knows you're not at the main cruise terminal. According to the port website, the only other ship there will be Navigator of the Seas. In recent cruises from San Pedro, an Uber or Lyft to LAX was under $50, much cheaper than bus tickets for 2 people, and without the hassle of stopping at every terminal, waiting for people to get off the bus, and deal with luggage, I'll be on Joy too, and my plan is to walk-off with my bags and get an Uber or Lyft, depending on price and closeness of driver. It would have been nice for NCL to communicate that disembarkation would be at berth 46, for people who park or arrange transportation ahead of time. Does anyone who has disembarked there know how customs is handled? In the other two terminals, they use Face ID machines, so there's little wait, whereas without them the customs lines can get horrendous, which backs up and delays disembarking. 

3 hours ago, rj59 said:

I'd just order an Uber or Lyft, making sure you put in the correct destination and messaging your driver to make sure he knows you're not at the main cruise terminal. According to the port website, the only other ship there will be Navigator of the Seas. In recent cruises from San Pedro, an Uber or Lyft to LAX was under $50, much cheaper than bus tickets for 2 people, and without the hassle of stopping at every terminal, waiting for people to get off the bus, and deal with luggage, I'll be on Joy too, and my plan is to walk-off with my bags and get an Uber or Lyft, depending on price and closeness of driver. It would have been nice for NCL to communicate that disembarkation would be at berth 46, for people who park or arrange transportation ahead of time. Does anyone who has disembarked there know how customs is handled? In the other two terminals, they use Face ID machines, so there's little wait, whereas without them the customs lines can get horrendous, which backs up and delays disembarking. 

They use the face id machine.

22 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

This actually checks out with our cruise which starts when you get off.  We were told we are embarking at 46, so I am thinking for sure that is where you get off.  I am sure NCL buses would take you to LAX if you like.  I plan to use uber to get there.

5 hours ago, rj59 said:

If you are not familiar with LAX, please look at their website and procedure to get to the rideshare area. You have to take a shuttle bus to that area unless you are ordering an Uber Black or other high end service. 

I'm on the sailing that departs tomorrow as well. I can't believe I'm reading reviews from 2019 and before talking about how terrible LA Cruise Port was and it doesn't sound like anything has changed.

I booked this sailing without researching the cruise terminal, and I can guarantee this is the last time I will cruise from "LA." Fingers crossed everything goes okay tomorrow. I will post an update for everyone if it would be beneficial!

Edited by tnm6217

5 minutes ago, tnm6217 said:

I'm on the sailing that departs tomorrow as well. I can't believe I'm reading reviews from 2019 and before talking about how terrible LA Cruise Port was and it doesn't sound like anything has changed.

I booked this sailing without researching the cruise terminal, and I can guarantee this is the last time I will cruise from "LA." Fingers crossed everything goes okay tomorrow. I will post an update for everyone if it would be beneficial! 

Its not the worse port I have ever sailed to/from (that would be NOLA) but it has had it's challenges a few times.  Other times it has been a breeze. My biggest issue is using Uber and their surge pricing, when they know you don't have a lot of options. And once I was literally the last person standing on the curb waiting for my Uber to show up (no fault of the cruise line or port). That's why I decided to take the NCL transportation, even though it may cost a little more. At least I know I can get on the bus and get to LAX fairly easily (and hopefully from berth 50 and not have to be shuttled back to 92).

2 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

I've sailed twice from that port.  I met @debenson0723 on one of those, and that cruise was a BREEZE to embark.  I think I was at/in the terminal for less than an hour before being on the ship.  The second I stood outside for close to 2 hour waiting to get through security, due to a CG inspection of the ship from what I heard (so not really a fault of the port/terminal).

1 hour ago, Laughingbear said:

Sorry, I'm a little bit lost. Did we ever figure out if they provided a shuttle from B50 back to B92 for those who parked there?

No we haven't, LOL.  Guess we will find out on Friday (or I will ask once onboard and post to this thread if I find out).

13 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

No we haven't, LOL.  Guess we will find out on Friday (or I will ask once onboard and post to this thread if I find out).

Yeah, thats what I was afraid of. lol I will do some checking when I get there tomorrow. Maybe I can get some info. If I do, I will post as soon as I find out!

5 hours ago, tnm6217 said:

I sail out of this port several times a year(though never on NCL) & it has always been very easy. I think the problem may be an NCL problem 

On 2/16/2023 at 4:57 PM, debenson0723 said:

That's not exactly how the NCL bus works. It (they) will be wherever the ship docks, but you must pre-arrange the transfer (and it can sell out).  You'll get luggage tags that correspond to the time your bus leaves - based on your flight time. You can carry off your luggage if you wish but really no need, as the timing is set by NCL, not you.