What is NCL doing now if you test positive for covid-19 on board?

Turtles06

Reading all this I have to wonder if our Primary doctor would perscribe Paxlovid to take on our next cruise as a precaution in case we tested positive. I'd hate to pay $800 for something I can get here for free. I might ask him. 

21 hours ago, uneamie said:

Reading all this I have to wonder if our Primary doctor would perscribe Paxlovid to take on our next cruise as a precaution in case we tested positive. I'd hate to pay $800 for something I can get here for free. I might ask him. 

I know someone who was given Paxlovida and was told it made her worse than covid without it.  She was miserable!!!

23 hours ago, uneamie said:

Reading all this I have to wonder if our Primary doctor would perscribe Paxlovid to take on our next cruise as a precaution in case we tested positive....

I'm curious. How could you test positive when they aren't testing?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, jules181 said:

I'm sure they'll lock you in your room if you go waving a positive test around. 

But they're doing it to make you feel better about yourself.  

Most of us know you can't test positive if you don't test. 

That's what I was thinking too.  Just be cool and do the right thing.  Last year they were taking names and cabin numbers on excursions, are they still doing that? 

Anyone who is cruising / traveling would be wise to bring your own test kits and a dose of Paxlovid for each person. My wife and I do just out of caution, we also bring N95 mask, one for each of us for each day of the cruise

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Anyone who is cruising / traveling would be wise to bring your own test kits and a dose of Paxlovid for each person. My wife and I do just out of caution, we also bring N95 mask, one for each of us for each day of the cruise

We do bring test kits and masks.  So far so good. 

10 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Or you could just go about your life as we did pre-2020.  

We didn't seem to care about the spread of respitory illness on the petri dish that is a cruise ship then.  What's changed?  

After being robbed of two years. I'd rather live my life and enjoy my vacation without worry or fear. 

If I get sick, I get sick. I'll go lay on the deck in the sun and have the wonderful soups served on board until I'm feeling better. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

21 minutes ago, jules181 said:

We didn't seem to care about the spread of respitory illness on the petri dish that is a cruise ship then.  What's changed?  

After being robbed of two years. I'd rather live my life and enjoy my vacation without worry or fear. 

If I get sick, I get sick. I'll go lay on the deck in the sun and have the wonderful soups served on board until I'm feeling better. 

I agree with this. Go about your business, lay low and stay away from people as best you can.  What changed is the quarantine of people. 

I just don't like that for some reason, they were checking on excursions by name and cabin number and that might draw them to you and then they will test you, and if positive, you're in quarantine.  I can easily stay away from people if I am sick, but not if they find out first. 

I was wondering if they are still doing that on any excursions?  Basically, for contact tracing?  This wasn't even a year ago on our last cruise.  

Edited by BarnCat1

8 minutes ago, BarnCat1 said:

I agree with this. Go about your business, lay low and stay away from people as best you can.  What changed is the quarantine of people. 

I just don't like that for some reason, they were checking on excursions by name and cabin number and that might draw them to you and then they will test you, and if positive, you're in quarantine.  I can easily stay away from people if I am sick, but not if they find out first. 

I was wondering if they are still doing that on any excursions?  Basically, for contact tracing?  This wasn't even a year ago on our last cruise.  

They weren't dooing this on my April 2021 transatlantic or any cruise thereafter. 

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/NCL_Guest_Ticket Contract_US_EN_02_2023.pdf

(c) COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Guest understands that Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures may or will include (but are not be limited to): (1) providing an accurate, truthful and complete health questionnaire for each Guest in a form and containing any and all health or travel-related questions as required by Carrier in its sole discretion based on advice received from relevant government or health authorities or medical experts  prior to boarding; (2) pre-embarkation and/or periodic testing and temperature checks of each Guest followed by a period of isolation until test results are available; (3) modified capacity rules for activities (including but not limited to restaurants, gyms, and entertainment events onboard and for shore excursions) which may limit or eliminate the ability of Guest to participate in particular activities; (4) mandatory use by each Guest (except for children under the age of 2 years) of face coverings in most locations outside of the Guest’s cabin while onboard, during embarkation, disembarkation and shore excursions; (5) mandatory social distancing and/or cohorting of Guests at any/all times while on board and during embarkation, disembarkation, and shore excursions; (6) additional restrictions during shore excursions depending on local conditions, including but not limited to denial of disembarkation at destinations unless participating in only Carrier-approved shore excursions; (7) mandatory hand-sanitizing by Guest upon entry or exit of any public areas; (8) confinement of Guests to cabins, quarantine or emergency disembarkation of Guest if, in Carrier’s sole discretion, such steps are necessary to prevent or slow the spread of COVID-19; (9) the required completion by Guest in a timely manner of any written authorizations or consent forms required for Carrier to carry out its COVID-19 Policies and Procedures (including but not limited to medical information, medical privacy, or personal data privacy consent forms), and; (10) other policies and procedures deemed by Carrier in its sole discretion to be necessary to reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19.

(d) Mandatory Compliance with COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Notwithstanding any other provision contained herein or in Carrier’s refund policy, any noncompliance by Guest or members of Guest’s travelling party with Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, local port/country regulations, or this Contract shall be grounds for refusal to board, refusal to re-board after going ashore, quarantine onboard the Vessel, disembarkation, reporting to governmental or health authorities, or other steps deemed necessary in Carrier’s sole discretion under the circumstances to protect the health and wellbeing of others.  Under these circumstances, Guest shall not be entitled to a refund or compensation of any kind. Guest will be responsible for all related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expenses and for proper travel documentation for any port, or for departure from or arrival to the U.S.  Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable for any damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Guest as a result of such denial of boarding, refusal to re-board, quarantine, disembarkation, or other steps taken by Carrier.

(e) Guest Testing Positive for COVID-19 Pre-Cruise. Guest agrees that if at any time within 14 days prior to embarkation, Guest tests positive for COVID-19, exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, has had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or Carrier otherwise determines in its sole discretion that Guest is unfit to board because of any communicable illness, Carrier will deny boarding to such Guest.  Under no circumstances shall Carrier have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel.  

(f) Guest Testing Positive for COVID-19 During Cruise. Guest understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and even if Guest has fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, Guest tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carrier may disembark, refuse reboarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Guest as well as members of Guest’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Each such Guest is responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable to any such Guest for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger. 5. Carrier's Rules and Regulations:  (a) Guest's Agreement: The Guest agrees to abide by the rules of the Carrier, including, but not limited to, the rules and regulations particularly set forth herein and in particular Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and 2/2023 Procedures set forth in Section 4 and on Carrier’s website at https://www.ncl.com/safe and to follow the lawful instructions of the vessel's officers and crew, at all times. The Guest accepts that failure to do so constitutes a material breach of this Contract which may subject the Guest, as well as any accompanying Guest(s), to involuntary disembarkation without liability whatsoever to the Carrier for any refund or any other related loss or expense to the Guest, and any accompanying Guest(s)

Edited by prov2727

58 minutes ago, jules181 said:

What's changed is that they didn't throw you off the ship for a respiratory illness pre-2020. Now they can.

What's changed is that they did not force you to test for flu, RSV, norovirus, whatever. Post 2020, you have to agree to be tested if the cruise ship staff so chooses.

What's changed is that if you were sick pre-2020, everyone in your party could still go about their cruise. Now, they can be confined with you.

What's  changed is that if you were sick and continued to go about your cruise and went on a shore excursion, they didn't refuse to let you re-board and leave you stranded in a port.

What's changed is that the rules and consequences are different post-2020.

Edited by prov2727
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, BarnCat1 said:

they were checking on excursions by name and cabin number and that might draw them to you and then they will test you, and if positive, you're in quarantine. 

12 minutes ago, prov2727 said:

What's changed is that they did not force you to test for flu, RSV, norovirus, whatever. Post 2020, you have to agree to be tested if the cruise ship staff so chooses.

I couldn't find in that policy anywhere that I agree to be tested if they want to test me.  Did I miss it?

1 hour ago, prov2727 said:

1 hour ago, prov2727 said:

5. Carrier's Rules and Regulations:  (a) Guest's Agreement: The Guest agrees to abide by the rules of the Carrier, including, but not limited to, the rules and regulations particularly set forth herein and in particular Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and 2/2023 Procedures set forth in Section 4 and on Carrier’s website at https://www.ncl.com/safe and to follow the lawful instructions of the vessel's officers and crew, at all times. The Guest accepts that failure to do so constitutes a material breach of this Contract which may subject the Guest, as well as any accompanying Guest(s), to involuntary disembarkation without liability whatsoever to the Carrier for any refund or any other related loss or expense to the Guest, and any accompanying Guest(s)

Most of that PDF has been supeceded by www.ncl.com/safe.

For example, face masks are no longer required, vaccination no longer required, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Most of that PDF has been supeceded by www.ncl.com/safe.

For example, face masks are no longer required, vaccination no longer required, etc.

Just checked in for a cruise and this is what I had to sign. It doesn't say that these things are the current practice but that they can change that at any time. You can see this was updated in February of 2023.

Edited by prov2727

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I couldn't find in that policy anywhere that I agree to be tested if they want to test me.  Did I miss it?

Guest understands that Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures may or will include (but are not be limited to): . . . . (2) pre-embarkation and/or periodic testing and temperature checks of each Guest followed by a period of isolation until test results are available;

15 minutes ago, prov2727 said:

Guest understands that Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures may or will include (but are not be limited to): . . . . (2) pre-embarkation and/or periodic testing and temperature checks of each Guest followed by a period of isolation until test results are available;

Thanks.  I just missed it.  Admittedly, I didn't read it like I was studying for a critical final exam. 🤣

That said, I highly doubt that Johnny is getting called to medical for testing because he sat behind Jackie (who sneezed) while on an excursion bus.  That contract tracing was perhaps the biggest joke of the whole "crisis."

Who am I kidding, it was the masks. 🤡

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  I just missed it.  Admittedly, I didn't read it like I was studying for a critical final exam. 🤣

That said, I highly doubt that Johnny is getting called to medical for testing because he sat behind Jackie (who sneezed) while on an excursion bus.  That contract tracing was perhaps the biggest joke of the whole "crisis."

Who am I kidding, it was the masks. 🤡

Agree, but they are leaving it open for them to put us back in the March 2020 world.

I expected this when I went on my cruise in January 2023. I was really hoping that since the WHO had declared that the global health emergency was over in May that the contract would revert to what was used in January 2020 but Covid is the new leprosy or something like that. Except leprosy and ebola aren't on this contract!

Edited by prov2727

Off a 15 day cruise on Getaway in November. On the last night of the cruise my wife went down to medical after testing positive for Covid (I tested positive myself the next day but we were off the ship then) We took all of the typical precautions and were well aware of the risks but were determined to go anyways. The one thing I wasn't aware of was Medical insisting we take one of their covid tests for a measley $159.00 and a Paxlovid prescription would be well over a thousand. What?!?! We will be in NYC in the morning and I can get a doctor to prescribe it to me and it will be free. (And yes we had extended medical cruise insurance but I didn't feel like getting involved with everything that comes with making a claim again that would have only been for a few hours) 

All I can think of is NCL is trying now to cover some of their Covid losses through Covid prescriptions. And they said nothing to us as we left about isolating or anything else....they apparently didn't care.

Edited by Red-Sol
  • Like 1