Amsterdam to Brussels

gfkcruiser

I have a transatlantic ending in the Netherlands in May.   Airfare back home from Brussels is a lot less than from Amsterdam.  How easy to go via train to Brussels from Amsterdam with luggage?  Any advice?  Would probably stay overnight in Brussels so hotel recommendations would be welcomed. There are two of us traveling. 

Just now, gfkcruiser said:

I have a transatlantic ending in the Netherlands in May.   Airfare back home from Brussels is a lot less than from Amsterdam.  How easy to go via train to Brussels from Amsterdam with luggage?  Any advice?  Would probably stay overnight in Brussels so hotel recommendations would be welcomed. There are two of us traveling. 

It's very easy.  I'll warn you to check your sums though... air fare is likely to be significantly lower but make sure you add on the cost of trains, hotels, meals, local transportation and generally the hassle of making the shift before you decide on your 'best flight'.

8 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

It's very easy.  I'll warn you to check your sums though... air fare is likely to be significantly lower but make sure you add on the cost of trains, hotels, meals, local transportation and generally the hassle of making the shift before you decide on your 'best flight'.

I will definitely do that.  The airfare is about $400 pp less.  

Just now, gfkcruiser said:

I will definitely do that.  The airfare is about $400 pp less.  

Hmm... I'd say you may be borderline on a cost perspective and then you'll have to factor in the less tangible aspects of making the transfer... time and hassle.  

1 hour ago, gfkcruiser said:

There are direct trains from Amsterdam to Brussels airport.  Less than two and a half hours and under €60 per passenger.  Why would you want to stay overnight when it's that quick?

European rail is very good.

• Like 1

Just note that there are 3 main train stations in Brussels, with what can be confusing names.

https://www.brussels.info/train-stations/

If you are booking to the airport from Amsterdam there are some trains that go direct; for others you need to change trains. The ones I found seem to have changes at Antwerp (a beautiful station).

Edited by gnome12

We are doing the same in June 2023. Our Artic cruise ends back in Amsterdam.

Wife and I will be taking the train to Brussels and stay there for 2 nights and fly home to USA from Brussels.

We are taking the THALYS train system.

Very easy to navigate and use. Train seems to get us to Brussel ZUID/ MIDI train station in about 2.5 hours. Prices vary wildly from $58 to $150 euros. Guess it depends on day and time you book.

Amsterdam Centraal to Brussels-Zuid/Midi.
https://www.thalys.com/be/en 

Good luck!

3 hours ago, alexgtp said:

We are doing the same in June 2023. Our Artic cruise ends back in Amsterdam.

Wife and I will be taking the train to Brussels and stay there for 2 nights and fly home to USA from Brussels.

We are taking the THALYS train system.

Very easy to navigate and use. Train seems to get us to Brussel ZUID/ MIDI train station in about 2.5 hours. Prices vary wildly from $58 to $150 euros. Guess it depends on day and time you book.

Amsterdam Centraal to Brussels-Zuid/Midi.

Good luck!

Thalys trains run faster but if you want to end up at Brussels Central (near the Grand Place and most 'touristy' attractions) without having to double back on a transfer from Brussels-Suid/Midi, I suggest you look at the Netherlands Rail site for a non-stop to Brussels Central.

https://www.nsinternational.com/en

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 5:24 PM, gfkcruiser said:

The flight leaves Brussels at 6:19 am.  

My husband and I are also cruising in May (in/out of Ijmuiden, but staying in Amsterdam pre-and post flights to/from Schiphol.)   We plan to take 2 nights post-cruise and take the train to Brussels (staying central at a hotel) so this thread is very informative!  We will return to Amsterdam for one final night.  Thank you to those that have posted about the train differences.  We had also planned on using Thalys.  Now we know better!   

P.S. We are also taking a day trip, by train, to Bruges on the first full day in Brussels.

gfkcruiser - This is just my opinion, but unless you just want to see Brussels, I do not think that saving $800 total on your flight is worth the trouble.  I certainly would not want to have a 6:19am International flight out!!!  You will barely have time to sleep before having to get up and over to the airport for check-in and security. 

We have purposely booked a 1:15pm flight out of Amsterdam Schiphol (spending our last night at the airport.)  We are hearing that we need at least 3 hours, but closer to 4 hours to check-in and go through security.  We have flown to/through AMS three times before and know that the airport is a mess.  I would suspect that Brussels is similar.  For that reason, we will have to leave the hotel at 9:00 (getting up at 7:30am.)  

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

We plan to take 2 nights post-cruise and take the train to Brussels (staying central at a hotel) so this thread is very informative!  We will return to Amsterdam for one final night.  Thank you to those that have posted about the train differences.  We had also planned on using Thalys.  Now we know better! 

You didn't ask... but what the heck; if you're looking for a hotel I can recommend the Novotel Brussels off Grand Place. 

• Like 2

Thank you for the recommendation.  We had planned to stay at the highly recommended Amigo Hotel, but we have actually already changed plans for that weekend. LOL  I have been doing more research! 

Now going to stay in Antwerp.  Takes less time to get to from AMS, the city center is smaller, and we are going to stay right across from the Centrale Station.  Easy in and out when handling luggage and also hop on the train for Bruges.

BTW- In looking at train schedules, NS is offering a non-stop fast train back to AMS from Antwerp that only takes 55min.  The train is a Thalys leaving from Centrale Station.  It is not yet available to book for our dates, however.  Wondering if it is something new in the works?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

BTW- In looking at train schedules, NS is offering a non-stop fast train back to AMS from Antwerp that only takes 55min.  The train is a Thalys leaving from Centrale Station.  It is not yet available to book for our dates, however.  Wondering if it is something new in the works?

Are you sure? All of the Thalys trains that I see take 1 hour 14 minutes. I used the Thalys website

https://www.thalys.com/be/en/visit-europe-by-train. On that website, you can currently book until May 16, but not beyond.

8 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Are you sure? All of the Thalys trains that I see take 1 hour 14 minutes. I used the Thalys website

https://www.thalys.com/be/en/visit-europe-by-train. On that website, you can currently book until May 16, but not beyond.

Looks to me as though Thalys trains from Antwerp Centraal to Schiphol Airport take 55 minutes.

19 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I’m not sure what you mean by “something new in the works”. The highspeed train Thalys is running for many many years already. The Thalys train starts at Amsterdam Centraal and stops at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (NL), Rotterdam (NL), Antwerp (B), Brussels South/Midi/Zuid (B) before reaching it’s final destination Paris (F). 
Another option to travel between Amsterdam and Brussels is the regular Intercity train. This train travels at a lower speed and stops at more intermediate stations compared to Thalys. In Brussels it will stop at Brussels Airport, Brussels North , Brussels Central as well as Brussels South. 

It had to do with the "Not yet available...set an alert" message that I got.  I thought perhaps it meant it was a new train in the works.  All other times (that take longer) are available.  Perhaps that train just happens to be full?  Anyway, I set an alert to let me know when it is available.

For what date are you trying to book a ticket? And for what departure time?

The fastest option to get from Amsterdam to Brussels by train is with Thalys. Tickets for Thalys can be bought up to 4 months in advance, so today (Jan 17) you can buy Thalys tickets for departures up to May 17. Tomorrow tickets for May 18 will go on sale etc etc etc. 

3 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

It had to do with the "Not yet available...set an alert" message that I got.  I thought perhaps it meant it was a new train in the works.  All other times (that take longer) are available.  Perhaps that train just happens to be full?  Anyway, I set an alert to let me know when it is available.

If you use the Thalys website it is very easy to see the dates that are available for sale. 

5 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

For what date are you trying to book a ticket? And for what departure time?

The fastest option to get from Amsterdam to Brussels by train is with Thalys. Tickets for Thalys can be bought up to 4 months in advance, so today (Jan 17) you can buy Thalys tickets for departures up to May 17. Tomorrow tickets for May 18 will go on sale etc etc etc. 

If you are talking to me, we are going to Antwerp, instead of Brussels.  Also, I received  an email from NS that I cannot book that last leg.

52 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

If you are talking to me, we are going to Antwerp, instead of Brussels.  Also, I received  an email from NS that I cannot book that last leg.

It doesn't matter whether you are going to Antwerp or to Brussels. You can't book a Thalys train until 4 months out.

Put in a dummy booking and look at the calendar to see the last day you can book.

Any other website is still using the thalys booking system, and so can't book until 4 months out either.

• Thanks 1