Quantum Beds, Any Good?

Just now, christydore said:

Curious to those that have been on the Quantum of the Seas lately, how are the beds?

We have been on some RC ships, where the beds were like rock hard.

Thank you!

i enjoyed mine last year and I was in a Junior Suite.  But I do know what you mean as some ships do have hard mattresses.  Maybe they are trying to fix this.

We have cruised on 10 different ships in the last year.  
We were on Quantum in August and they were definitely the hardest beds we have ever slept in on a Royal ship.  Lots of folks were asking for egg crates and they were putting them on the beds for people.

16 hours ago, christydore said:

Curious to those that have been on the Quantum of the Seas lately, how are the beds?

Thank you!

We sailed on the Quantum in May. Beds were on the "very firm" side. 

4 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

We find the both Quantum and Anthem beds extremely hard and always take a foam mattress pad. Was on the Odyssey this Fall and it wasn't bad. Am trying to decide what to do about the Ovation.

We were on Ovation and Quantum in Oct. Beds were very comfortable.  We were in a standard balcony. 

• 2 months later...

We are going to be on your sailing. Great question! We were on the Allure last year and the bed was hard as a rock.Hopefully, this ship will be better. I was told you can ask for a mattress topper. I will be doing that, if needed! 

Edited by Jillebn2

Went on Quantum of the Seas in Jan 2023 and the king bed in our balcony cabin was like sleeping on a brick and I am not exaggerating, it was rock solid. We have a medium firm mattress at home but have slept on plenty of firm mattresses across decades of global travelling and none were crippling like the RCCL brick was. We were in genuine pain after only 2 nights of our week long cruise. Both of us had bruising sensations on the shoulders and hips in particular and our backs were completely screwed. Anywhere that was a pressure point hurt and we dreaded going to bed each night. No mattress toppers were available onboard, the best they could do was give us a very thin quilt under the sheet which did nothing to soften the brick. Family and friends travelling with us were in a Junior Suite and Grand Loft, their beds were much softer and they were not sore and grumpy daily as we were. 

Edited by JPS25

I sailed on the Navigator in January.....rock hard beds and no mattress toppers available. Taking your same cruise next year and called special needs about toppers. She said "no problem"  so maybe you have to reserve them before boarding. The no. is 1-866-592-7225.

I've also researched taking twin memory foam toppers to Hawaii as extra luggage. You wouldn't think that it would be necessary. Our cabin attendant on the Navigator claimed that the eggcrates are not used anymore (probably already promised) so I'd call tomorrow. Good luck; I hope that you report back on your quest.

• Thanks 2

Sailed both Quantum and Ovation last year.  They were the hardest beds I ever felt on a cruise.  What's worse is, RCI got rid of the egg crates to soften them upon request.  They stuffed duvets under our sheets and it helped a little, but still not enough.  

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 4:31 PM, christydore said:

Thank you!

Quantum class is well known for its "Prison Mattresses" 

• Like 1

I must have drank enough to not notice on the Anthem last month.  These comments have me wondering about our Alaskan cruise on the Quantum in July.  I detest blow up mattresses (can't deal with the springy feel) so I guess we'll just deal with it.  Would love to bring a nice polyurethane expanding topper but doubt it's worth the hassle.

Dan

• Haha 1

I believe Royal uses pillow top mattresses in JS and above on all ships. All other rooms in all ships, with the exception of Wonder, have the rock hard ones. I have been on many ships and Wonder (in cabins below JS) has been the only one so far I did not use my foam topper that I always bring.

Thank you, PeacefulOR! I called the number you posted and they were very helpful. My son and I both have spinal issues (he had surgery & will have another again this year) and I was able to order mattress toppers for both of our rooms. Hopefully, they are actual toppers and not the makeshift stuffed duvets that another poster shared on this thread. We won’t have room in our luggage to bring our own toppers. 

6 hours ago, Jillebn2 said:

Thank you, PeacefulOR! I called the number you posted and they were very helpful. My son and I both have spinal issues (he had surgery & will have another again this year) and I was able to order mattress toppers for both of our rooms. Hopefully, they are actual toppers and not the makeshift stuffed duvets that another poster shared on this thread. We won’t have room in our luggage to bring our own toppers. 

You're welcome! I had the makeshift (thin) comforter and used a second one trying to soften. Toppers are bulky, at least the ones I've seen. You might call them again and ask what they use for toppers. Good luck but if they only use the regular comforters ask for 2 of them, doubled.   I wish I had read a thread like this before booking the Quantum!                  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Sailed both Quantum and Ovation last year.  They were the hardest beds I ever felt on a cruise.  What's worse is, RCI got rid of the egg crates to soften them upon request.  They stuffed duvets under our sheets and it helped a little, but still not enough.  

We thought our bed on Quantum was really hard.  Cruised Ovation 4 times in the last 2 years without any issues.

6 hours ago, peacefulOR said:

You're welcome! I had the makeshift (thin) comforter and used a second one trying to soften. Toppers are bulky, at least the ones I've seen. You might call them again and ask what they use for toppers. Good luck but if they only use the regular comforters ask for 2 of them, doubled.   I wish I had read a thread like this before booking the Quantum!                  

We were on the Allure last February and the beds were rock hard, too. I didn’t know we could request a topper until after we came home. I was planning on getting one for this sailing, if needed, but I’m so grateful you shared that you can call ahead and order one! I will call back tomorrow and dig a little deeper. Thanks again! 

I did call back and they said they do not use the egg crate toppers anymore “for sanitary reasons”. They now use “cotton mattress pads”. So, I’m guessing it is what was described on this thread and not nearly as comfortable. ☹️

8 hours ago, Jillebn2 said:

I did call back and they said they do not use the egg crate toppers anymore “for sanitary reasons”. They now use “cotton mattress pads”. So, I’m guessing it is what was described on this thread and not nearly as comfortable. ☹️

Cotton mattress pads do very little. Even a doubled comforter is more helpful. What about baggage allowance? I'm going to buy them and ship as extra baggage (no extra cost). Otherwise, Walmart sells them in their stores. I wonder if you could order them online and then pickup in Honolulu? It may sound extreme to those who like extra firm beds, but it IS one solution if we really would suffer for 10 nights.

Seems cheaper than upgrading to a suite just to get a reasonable bed.

I think only an inflatable might fit in a large case by itself but if shipping cost isn't an issue, a memory foam topper is cooler and more comfortable. They start under $20 online but I've seem nice ones (1.5" thick) for ten dollars more.