Anthem of the Seas January 2 - 11 day Eastern Carribean

Jcol5786

Just got off Anthem this morning. Had a great 11 day cruise and we really enjoyed going to San Juan, St John's Antigua, St Kitts, St Lucia and St Marrten. Not doing a review but am happy to answer any questions about the ship and the ports.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jcol5786 said:

Just got off Anthem this morning. Had a great 11 day cruise and we really enjoyed going to San Juan, St John's Antigua, St Kitts, St Lucia and St Marrten. Not doing a review but am happy to answer any questions about the ship and the ports.

how was parking at the port.  Are they still making people believe the garage is only for handicapped which it is not.

Upon my return last time, one of the fellows helping at the kiosk for payment said they like to fill up the lot first and then the garage.  

Parking use to be great now it is annoying trying to get into the garage.

BTW i have done Anthem 3 times and love her and that giraffee.

5 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

how was parking at the port.  Are they still making people believe the garage is only for handicapped which it is not.

Upon my return last time, one of the fellows helping at the kiosk for payment said they like to fill up the lot first and then the garage.  

Never had the experience at Cape Liberty.  Always drive right into garage.  Has this happened to you more than once?

12 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

We didn't park at the port as we came in the day before and the hotel provided a shuttle service.

Last sailing from Cape Liberty we made was Oct 2nd 2022. Although I could qualify for a handicap sticker based on COPD I have never bothered getting one. Always figured that I can manage well enough compared to many others with more substantial handicaps. After that sailing I decided time to get one.

As we pulled up in line we were asked if handicapped, my reply no. Directed into a baggage line then to the old big lot. Would have been a bit of a problem but I could have done okay except this was a real bad weather day. Heavy windswept rain the kind that soon as open an umbrella it was destroyed. Made it that day but wasn't easy. Also at 11:00am arrival time was already at farthest point of lot.

I can understand why garage has been designated for handicapped. Two or three ships sailing different days they have almost exhausted their parking and no way garage has enough spaces. We are sailing Liberty June 1st this year. The Oasis comes in the 2nd so I presume many spaces will have Oasis cars in them.

When it is one ship like Oasis people leaving empty spaces obviously, now different ships different sailings, well like I said I got my sticker. Still may still not be spaces in garage.

14 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

This never happens during late fall and winter when only 1 ship is in port. When 3 ship are in port during a week it gets crowded and then this logic sometimes is used.

• Like 1

We sailed Anthem in December and had no problem with parking at the garage with only 1 ship sailing. 

In September on Oasis that was different, they were sending everyone that was handicapped to the open air lot.   Makes sense garage can only hold so many cars.    Not a biggy.

We love Anthem and will be back on end of March as a wedding gift for our Son and his new Wife.    

Did you go to Vintages bar?     The trio (Aladdin, Joey and Indy) are awesome bartenders.    

On 1/13/2023 at 4:42 PM, Jcol5786 said:

Was on it too. Way too many people coughing and snotting. And too much COVID.

That being said -- beautiful ship and cruise.

We were on the same cruise. Wonderful!!! I prefer Thanksgivings and Christmases as families are more interested in occupying indoor pool than solarium! 🙂 but overall it was great cruise.

We didn’t notice any Covid or extensive coughing … now in December and January 2022 it was more than obvious! And back then some ports checked temperatures and mandated masks (Antigua for example) 

• Like 2

I'm on the Anthem now. Did you deal with long lines to enter the MDR? Between 6:30-7:30 it takes up to 20-30 to be seated. And that's with a reservation. Only issue so far with the current cruise. We're rocking tonight due to a coastal storm off of the Carolinas. Should be smooth sailings starting tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RogueMonk said:

We only heard a cough (normal) here or there. How do you know COVID statistics on cruise? I heard zero talk or indication of COVID. 

We had a great time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toad455 said:

I'm on the Anthem now. Did you deal with long lines to enter the MDR? Between 6:30-7:30 it takes up to 20-30 to be seated. And that's with a reservation. Only issue so far with the current cruise. We're rocking tonight due to a coastal storm off of the Carolinas. Should be smooth sailings starting tomorrow.

The longest lines we experienced were the first evening. It got better after that. 

Wishing you calm seas going forward! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mets07 said:

We only heard a cough (normal) here or there. How do you know COVID statistics on cruise? I heard zero talk or indication of COVID. 

We had a great time. 

Only newly boarded crew are required to mask. Joff Eaton just boarded and mentioned this at the Top Tier event this morning and why he has to wear a mask until Monday. If COVID was an issue, I'd think they'd ask the crew to mask up.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mets07 said:

We had a great time. 

My wife was isolated for 5 days with COVID. Was told by medical that 230 other people were also isolated, and that those are only the ones who actually reported to medical.

Room steward told us that 175 staff were also off with COVID.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RogueMonk said:

My wife was isolated for 5 days with COVID. Was told by medical that 230 other people were also isolated, and that those are only the ones who actually reported to medical.

Interesting.  Heard nothing of it. Hope your wife is feeling better!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

We were on the same cruise. Wonderful!!! I prefer Thanksgivings and Christmases as families are more interested in occupying indoor pool than solarium! 🙂 but overall it was great cruise.

We didn’t notice any Covid or extensive coughing … now in December and January 2022 it was more than obvious! And back then some ports checked temperatures and mandated masks (Antigua for example) 

Yes, big difference from January 2022 to the present.     We sailed on Anthem Jan 11th 2022.   We were supposed to do a b2b but had vpn issues and the only way hubby could be onboard for 22 or 23 days was to have his work computer working and it wouldn't so we had to cancel the 2nd leg of our trip.   

we weren't able to go to puerto rico and 1 other island (I forget which one) since we had more than 1% or more positive with covid and we only had 1500 or 1600 passengers.    I do remember we were one of the first sailings to dock at Antigua and having temperature checked on the dock.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toad455 said:

We did traditional dining, we wouldn't stand in line to be seated, just walk right up to our table.   Definitely nice when you have same table and waitstaff every night. 

We did see long lines for MTD almost every night.   

Hope the seas calm down for the remainder of your sailings.   

Enjoy😀

How are the temperatures?    Quite chilly and breezy up here in PA today.

22 minutes ago, RogueMonk said:

'Tis the season for it.    There are so many viruses, flu, etc. going around right now.    Hope your Wife and everyone else has mild cold symptoms and is able to enjoy some of their cruise.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We did traditional dining, we wouldn't stand in line to be seated, just walk right up to our table.   Definitely nice when you have same table and waitstaff every night. 

We did see long lines for MTD almost every night.   

Hope the seas calm down for the remainder of your sailings.   

Enjoy😀

How are the temperatures?    Quite chilly and breezy up here in PA today.

60s but breezy. Supposed to be calmer and warmer tomorrow.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pittnh said:

recommendations for San Juan port stop?  Are things pretty walkable from the pier?  Is it better not top book any ship excursions there?

If you never been to San Juan then just walking there should be plenty. I recommend visiting both forts: El Morriso and San Cristobal… old city is situated between them. Many beautiful narrow streets. Walk along harbor is also beautiful.

5A7CB242-9065-4ED5-87EF-181BD5D751D1.jpeg

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Tatka said:

If you never been to San Juan then just walking there should be plenty. I recommend visiting both forts: El Morriso and San Cristobal… old city is situated between them. Many beautiful narrow streets. Walk along harbor is also beautiful.

Agree. Here are some photos from January 2nd cruise.

20230105_161723.thumb.jpg.95dde811c23f32d45ad84f63a1e41c39.jpg

20230105_161655.thumb.jpg.3ee68ee18fd06b452622df99b4c0fb89.jpg

20230105_162508.thumb.jpg.3d532a10a3ef96dc011db421329ec660.jpg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, RogueMonk said:

Interesting - I think people are much more aware of people coughing now. I admit whenever I hear someone cough now I avoid them. We cruised in October on Oasis and I don't think it was any more or less coughing on that cruise. As for Covid cases we met a nice bartender at 270 on day 1 and 2. He was missing on day 3 and when we asked he was isolating for 5 days. We assumed he was off with Covid or the flu. He did return after the 5 days and wore a mask the rest of the cruise.

10 hours ago, pittnh said:

recommendations for San Juan port stop?  Are things pretty walkable from the pier?  Is it better not top book any ship excursions there?

We walked in San Juan. Turned left after getting to the shore end of the pier and then walked along the shore front. Beautiful buildings, parks and old fort structures to look at.

San Juan 1.jpg

San Juan 2.png

San Juan 3.jpg

• Like 4