No more prime rib?

kevin1551

4 hours ago, drevil0208 said:

Celebrity app looks to be being updated for some ships for next week and now includes prime rib, beef wellington etc. in the MDR.  Hopefully this is the first sign of them backtracking on some of these changes.  

Not for Solstice for this saturday sailing yet. Crossing fingers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Please keep us in the loop!  She usually has prime rib on the last night (for whatever reason)

You would think that the last night's dinner would be the best of the best. This is your last memory of food on the ship. By then you have already forgotten about the dry chicken on night 2 and the limp veggies on night 3. Not to mention your melted ice cream at lunch on that sea day. 

Bring back the JVC meatballs!

18 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

You would think that the last night's dinner would be the best of the best. This is your last memory of food on the ship. By then you have already forgotten about the dry chicken on night 2 and the limp veggies on night 3. Not to mention your melted ice cream at lunch on that sea day. 

Bring back the JVC meatballs!

ha ha...I usually book AQ so eat at Blu, I have noticed Blu is usually dead on the last night.  Figured that's why it was moved, X wouldn't have to serve as much of it but who knows

12 hours ago, rmalbers said:

I think it's X's pricing in general that's driving it,  more with X's suite pricing than regular cabins.  The suite pricing takes you into small ship cruising pricing and the food thing has caused people to think about it seriously. 

The regular cabin pricing is doing the same thing. Prices are far higher across the board, irrespective of category. 

25 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

This.

Then you add in the nickel and dime fees that X adds in and it is more $$$.

Besides the new room service charge, what nickel and dime fees are there? 

Edited by drowelf

19 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Besides the new room service charge, what nickel and dime fees are there? 

Look at the premium drink package prices.  A LOL in my book.  This can quickly approach the price of the fare.  Increased specialty dining, etc., etc....

Edited by NMTraveller

13 hours ago, Shep_Proudfoot said:

The regular cabin pricing is doing the same thing. Prices are far higher across the board, irrespective of category. 

I was talking about pricing that gets you close to or into, small ship cruising prices.  Regular cabin prices, even with the increases, probably won't get you into a small ship cabin.  

16 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Look at the premium drink package prices.  A LOL in my book.  This can quickly approach the price of the fare.  Increased specialty dining, etc., etc....

At the new prices for the drink package, $109. pp plus the 20% tip = $130. per person, per day.

I can see the smuggling beginning!

To drink $130. a day would be like me drinking almost  3 - 1.75 liter bottles of Makers Mark in one day. OR 4 and half 1.75 liters of Tito's. And that at liquor store prices! 

I think THEY have been drinking too much.

image.png.013256be8e805d6aed82a177e57205fd.pngimage.png.a51a419bedbf98b47e19616eb1133bd1.png

Edited by Keys Kathy
added
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 1:03 PM, drevil0208 said:

Celebrity app looks to be being updated for some ships for next week and now includes prime rib, beef wellington etc. in the MDR.  Hopefully this is the first sign of them backtracking on some of these changes.  

I wouldn't count on next week's online menu until it's actually THIS week's menu. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

At the new prices for the drink package, $109. pp plus the 20% tip = $130. per person, per day.

I can see the smuggling beginning!

To drink $130. a day would be like me drinking almost  3 - 1.75 liter bottles of Makers Mark in one day. OR 4 and half 1.75 liters of Tito's. And that at liquor store prices! 

I think THEY have been drinking too much.

image.png.013256be8e805d6aed82a177e57205fd.pngimage.png.a51a419bedbf98b47e19616eb1133bd1.png

$130? they're insane!  X really needs to take a second look at their beverage package. It is wildly out of line. 

Consider that Princess charges $8 for a Woodford (premium package not required).  Glenlivet is $8, Glenmorangie is $9.  Pours are smaller than X, but it still takes some effort to hit their 14/day drink limit.   I could drink 14 Woodfords on Princess for less than the X package that gives me the same. 

(The Princess wine selection is fairly dismal though.) 

On 1/17/2023 at 2:17 PM, mnocket said:

I've been looking at O too.  From reading their forum here on CC it seems that they too have some cutbacks, but not to the extent that loyal customers are up in arms.  The most significant complaint to me is that O seems to have implemented a "go slow" campaign to reduce climate impact.  In reality it's a corporate decision to reduce ship speeds to save fuel. Unfortunately, the result has been shorter time in ports because it takes longer to get there.  Time in port seems to be significantly less than promised in the itineraries.  I'm continuing to monitor this as I consider sailing on O in the future.

I did get a notification about our port times changing. It was an hour less in some ports. Not a big deal to me. More time on the ship to eat the good food! haha

• Like 2

It is funny that this thread got me to want to try prime rib again only to know it will likely not be an option on my next sailing this year. Time will tell or it will be on a night we are in the OVC because we didn’t have a reservation 😉

6 hours ago, D C said:

$130? they're insane!  X really needs to take a second look at their beverage package. It is wildly out of line. 

Consider that Princess charges $8 for a Woodford (premium package not required).  Glenlivet is $8, Glenmorangie is $9.  Pours are smaller than X, but it still takes some effort to hit their 14/day drink limit.   I could drink 14 Woodfords on Princess for less than the X package that gives me the same. 

Just another change that makes true Luxury lines more cost competitive.

8 hours ago, D C said:

I actually liked the Princess wine selections.  I would purchase a package where I had 5 or 6 bottles of wine.  The wines selected were of a higher caliber than X.  One of them that I discovered was Whispering Angel.  It is now my favorite Rose.  I doubt that their by the glass is as good though.

4 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

It is funny that this thread got me to want to try prime rib again only to know it will likely not be an option on my next sailing this year. Time will tell or it will be on a night we are in the OVC because we didn’t have a reservation 😉

Forget the Prime Rib, I'm just hoping for some Dinty Moore.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, mnocket said:

Just another change that makes true Luxury lines more cost competitive.

And one that makes their ACTUAL competition look very attractive. 

Curious if the actual plan is to run Celebrity into the ground and shutter it.  Seems like they're headed in that direction at full speed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

So I started exploring other lines to look at their MDR menus and to see if they had the drastic cuts that X did.

Nope.  Princess MDR menus look similar to before.  No tilapia or turkey and more choices and variety.  

The Princess sailing I'm on right now had filet earlier in the week, beef wellington last night, filet and lobster tonight (NO CHARGE for extra lobster tails), and has prime rib tomorrow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2