Istanbul: NY Times Rated Tops!

Wow--thanks for these! We'll be spending a couple of days in Istanbul after our NCL cruise this November, and these pictures really get the juices flowing!

I'm reading Roger Crowley's City of Fortune right now, which is a history of Venice that opens with a blow by blow account of how Dandolo utilized the Fourth Crusade to essentially gain Venice a monopoly on trade in the Eastern Mediterranean, including a brutal account of the siege and sack of Constantinople in that campaign. He has another history of Constantinople and the rise of the Ottomans that I'm planning to read next. 

As far as I'm concerned, seeing this places in person is one of the primary reasons to travel!

Thanks.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, quercus alba said:

I'm reading Roger Crowley's City of Fortune right now, which is a history of Venice that opens with a blow by blow account of how Dandolo utilized the Fourth Crusade to essentially gain Venice a monopoly on trade in the Eastern Mediterranean, including a brutal account of the siege and sack of Constantinople in that campaign.

After I read a similar book I made it a priority, on my next visit to Venice, to hunt down a number of treasures that made it back to Venice after the sack of Constantinople in the Fourth Crusade, a shocking event in history....  Some of the Byzantine enamels and many of the gems of the incomparable Pala d'Oro (altar screen); items in the Treasury, and (most likely) the famous bronze horses all can be seen in St. Marks. 

My special favorite is this sculpture in rare porphyry (long reserved for emperors) of the "Four Tetrarchs" or four rulers of the divided Roman empire, dating from around 300 BC and previously thought to grace a monument in Constantinople. It can be seen at one of the corners of the front facade of St. Marks. Interestingly, I have also "visited" the one piece of the sculpture that the crusader looters left behind -- the heel of one of the tetrarchs. It is in the Istanbul archaeology museum now.

image.thumb.png.97eb269e69fa1c616fbfcfa5362a037f.png 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

My special favorite is this sculpture in rare porphyry (long reserved for emperors) of the "Four Tetrarchs" or four rulers of the divided Roman empire, dating from around 300 BC and previously thought to grace a monument in Constantinople. It can be seen at one of the corners of the front facade of St. Marks. Interestingly, I have also "visited" the one piece of the sculpture that the crusader looters left behind -- the heel of one of the tetrarchs. It is in the Istanbul archaeology museum now.

So is that the left foot of the poor guy on the far right, who has one white foot?

51 minutes ago, quercus alba said:

So is that the left foot of the poor guy on the far right, who has one white foot?

Yes, exactly. 😱. Kind of provides a mental image of the looters hacking it away from whatever monumental building or wall it was attached to in Constantinople....

image.png.b1881a0f350faef0095fabd6eb68ed32.png

Super appreciate that book suggestion and follow-up by quercus alba. Plus, the great details, visuals and posting from the always excellent Cruisemom42.  Wonderful sharing and historic background!!  Now, for many in the twenty-first century, some forget how vast and powerful were these "empires" exercised by both Venice and Istanbul.  

Just checked our local library and they have this Venice book available.  Will get it soon.  Below is the visual for the cover of his book.  Interesting!!  Here is the bio the library lists for this experienced author:  "Roger Crowley was born in 1951 and spent part of his childhood in Malta. He read English at Cambridge University and taught English in Istanbul, where he developed a strong interest in the history of Turkey. He has traveled extensively throughout the Mediterranean basin over many years and has a wide-ranging knowledge of its history and culture. He lives in Gloucestershire, England. He is also the author of 1453: The Holy War for Constantinople and The Clash of Islam and the West andEmpires of the Sea: The Siege of Malta, the Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World."

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 70,998 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/

image.thumb.png.a368af5cedc5374af3b3ea463dd89f9c.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everybody for your suggestions on currency in Turkey. Don't want to not get something at the bazaar because I don't want to use my credit card for some candy or a drink. We will use AAA again for both Lira for Turkey and lots of Euros for all the other ports.

These boards are great.

On 2/25/2023 at 9:00 AM, latebloomer56 said:

Roll call for our trip person said they have used Euro in Turkey? Anybody else do this? Would save me having Turkish Lira, but will if that is the better choice. Figure the people I where we travel should be thanked for taking care of me with which ever is best for them.

Thanks

Appreciate from latebloomer56 the great comment and follow-up of "These boards are great."  

Excellent question for using euros in Turkey.  YES, it is possible that some places will accept euros for purchases in Turkey. BUT, the more important question is . . . at what exchange rate??  Like getting local currency at some airport booths/places, they will get you such needed exchange.  The rates and charges/fees, however, could be much more costly.  Always trade-offs for costs versus convenience.  

For us, we have found that credit cards and/or bank ATM's give us the better "deal".  Much depends as to how much, if any, local currency do you really need.  Lots of variables and factors to consider!!  Researching and planning ahead is always helpful.   

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,658 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

19 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate from latebloomer56 the great comment and follow-up of "These boards are great."  

Excellent question for using euros in Turkey.  YES, it is possible that some places will accept euros for purchases in Turkey. BUT, the more important question is . . . at what exchange rate??  Like getting local currency at some airport booths/places, they will get you such needed exchange.  The rates and charges/fees, however, could be much more costly.  Always trade-offs for costs versus convenience.  

For us, we have found that credit cards and/or bank ATM's give us the better "deal".  Much depends as to how much, if any, local currency do you really need.  Lots of variables and factors to consider!!  Researching and planning ahead is always helpful.   

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,658 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Thanks, think we will just get Turkish Lira when we get our Euros. What I don't use will probably put in a collection box if we find one. Turkey for us will be a once and done, only going because it's part of the cruise plus I want to experience the bazaar.

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Turkey for us will be a once and done, only going because it's part of the cruise plus I want to experience the bazaar.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised -- Istanbul truly is a wonderful city. Hopefully you're planning to take a tour that covers more than just the Grand Bazaar.  (Also, there are other bazaars that -- aside from size -- are more interesting: for example the Spice Bazaar (near Galata bridge) and the Arasta Bazaar (just to the left of the Blue Mosque if facing the front).

19 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised -- Istanbul truly is a wonderful city. Hopefully you're planning to take a tour that covers more than just the Grand Bazaar.  (Also, there are other bazaars that -- aside from size -- are more interesting: for example the Spice Bazaar (near Galata bridge) and the Arasta Bazaar (just to the left of the Blue Mosque if facing the front).

Yes we are and I hope to go to the spice bazaar, thanks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised -- Istanbul truly is a wonderful city. Hopefully you're planning to take a tour that covers more than just the Grand Bazaar. 

Appreciate these great follow-ups from cruisemom42 and latebloomer56.  YES, much to see and do in Istanbul.  Glad you have the Spice Market on your priority potential list.  Below are some added visuals to prove the wonders of Istanbul.

From Microsoft's news-related service yesterday, they had this headline: 15 Best Things to Do in Istanbul with these highlights: “Istanbul is a city steeped in history, culture, and natural beauty, seemingly on everyone's bucket list. With all Istanbul has to offer, it's no wonder it made American Express Travel's 2023 Trending Destinations List based on travel bookings by American Express cardholders for 2023.”

This profile cites among those top suggested options, in order, for: Blue Mosque, Turkish Cuisine, Hagia Sofia, Museum of Innocence, Sultanahmet Square, Feriköy Flea Market and Topkapi Palace.  They also mentioned these options of a cruise on the Bosphorus, climb the Galata Tower and board the Local Commuter Ferry.  We did the local commuter ferry to sail up and experience the Bosphorus.  Interesting and great fun. 

For the Grand Bazaar, this media summary detailed it as: "one of the world's largest and oldest covered markets, with over 4,000 shops and 35,000 workers, making a visit easily one of the best things to do in Istanbul, and a true bucket list travel experience! The bazaar dates back to 1461. There are shops selling everything from souvenirs and clothing to carpets, jewelry, spices, and antiques.   Even if you don't plan on buying anything, visiting the Grand Bazaar to experience its unique atmosphere is worth it. Meet the locals, bargain with shopkeepers, and sample some delicious street food while you're there."

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/15-best-things-to-do-in-istanbul-turkey/ar-AA17X60i

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 50,560 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

From our visit to the Istanbul Spice Market, below are a couple of additional visuals to prove the color and interesting sights at this location.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.c2e8bc461222aec3a27d663186f31ddf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e691fe0240307f525ba0d3276ca36e87.jpeg

In a neighborhood shopping area, here is an example of the many colorful items being offered.  No shortage of things to purchase in Istanbul!!:

image.thumb.jpeg.0c40bcbda1acdc387f0d6f97d17f0472.jpeg

Here is the Taksim Republic Monument to honor the foundation of Turkish Republic in 1923. The monument is located in the Taksim Square.  It highlights the role of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk to create their Republic as their first President 1923-1938.:

image.thumb.jpeg.0ece3529af6b8ba45bcb544132a765ff.jpeg

In our sailing along the Bosphorus, here is an example for one of the luxury homes located along this busy waterway.:

image.thumb.jpeg.1adc774e1cd19db350acfe7f1c4cdc48.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, TLCOhio said:

Thanks Terry 🙂  for sharing this 2/26/23 Istanbul Travel Microsoft News Explorers Away piece by:

Carley Rojas Avila

Story by Carley Rojas Avila

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is tremendous!!!!  So many informed folks and so many kind and nice people here!  WOW

I am bringing a church group to Istanbul in May 2024.  We are very interested in viewing items relating to the Bible at the Istanbul Archaeology Museum.  We'd like to see the famed Temple Balustrade. Also the Gezer Calendar, and the panels from the Assyrian Gate and the Siloam Tunnel inscription (and other items but these are the biggies).  However, I am seeing that some galleries are closed when I look at the museum's website.  However, it's all kind of confusing because there are three buildings that make up the museum. I'm not really sure what is housed where or what is closed. Can anyone help me out?  Will we be able to see these great artifacts?

On 3/23/2023 at 11:55 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

This thread is tremendous!!!!  So many informed folks and so many kind and nice people here!  WOW   I am bringing a church group to Istanbul in May 2024.  We are very interested in viewing items relating to the Bible at the Istanbul Archaeology Museum.  We'd like to see the famed Temple Balustrade. Also the Gezer Calendar, and the panels from the Assyrian Gate and the Siloam Tunnel inscription (and other items but these are the biggies).  However, I am seeing that some galleries are closed when I look at the museum's website.  However, it's all kind of confusing because there are three buildings that make up the museum. I'm not really sure what is housed where or what is closed. Can anyone help me out?  Will we be able to see these great artifacts?

Appreciate this great follow-up and excellent questions/interests for more on the Christian history, etc., in and around Istanbul.  Even though you are from Texas, I loved seeing your Buckeye logo and name connection.  Originally from Ohio??

As mentioned earlier from reading "City of Fortune" book about Venice, I learned of this Italian City-State leadership for the major conquest in 1204 in taking over what was then called Constantinople.  This happened in April 1204 and marked the twisted culmination of the Fourth Crusade.  After the city's sacking, most of the Byzantine Empire's territories were divided up among the Crusaders.

Later in the early 1900's, there were the genocides of Greeks, Armenians, and Assyrians done by Turks.  Constantinople was considered to be the center and the "cradle of Orthodox Christian civilization."   Hagia Sophia was built in AD 537 during the reign of Justinian I, Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire, as a major Christian location for worship. It was in its time the world's largest building and an engineering marvel.  Per Wikipedia, it is argued that the actions of the Crusaders thus directly accelerated the collapse of Christendom in the east, and in the long run helped facilitate the later Ottoman conquests of Southeastern Europe. The sack of Constantinople is a major turning point in medieval history. The Crusaders' decision to attack the world's largest Christian city was unprecedented and highly controversial per reading the details from the Venice book.

Turkey is also home to the Seven Churches of Asia, where the Revelation to John was sent. Apostle John is reputed to have taken Virgin Mary to Ephesus in western Turkey, where she spent the last days of her life in a small house, known as the House of the Virgin Mary.  That location near Ephesus still survives today and we visited it in 2008.  Christian history in Turkey?  Yes, lots of it is there.  

Given the current challenged leadership in charge of Turkey now, many things are evolving and changing.  Some not good, some otherwise.  I would do much more Google research and maybe seek out a guide who specializes in knowing and exploring many of these major Christian connections to Constantinople and current Istanbul.  Does this help a little?  Maybe some others with deep knowledge as to these elements of religious history can add some insights, tips and suggestions.  Keep up your research and preparation.  You have time before your 2024 trip.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 33,235 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry,

I found your information and pictures to be extremely helpful. I know it was a long time ago - but do you still have the contact info for the guide you used in Turkey? Or could suggest someone else/tour company?

First time in Instanbul on a cruise stop in July.

On 4/5/2023 at 9:47 AM, michelle028 said:

Hi Terry,  I found your information and pictures to be extremely helpful. I know it was a long time ago - but do you still have the contact info for the guide you used in Turkey? Or could suggest someone else/tour company?   First time in Instanbul on a cruise stop in July.

Appreciate this great comment and a very good follow-up question.  That guide, Lale Kosagan, appears to be still active, doing tours, etc.  Their website is 

www.toursinistanbul.com

Their two main e-mails are: kosagan@yahoo.com and kosagan@hotmail.com.  

Below is picture of Lale talking with my wife during lunch at a super scenic location. Istanbul is a city where you can do much on your own, BUT, being with someone who knows the "logistics" and can explain the background for all of the history that is there makes a huge, positive difference.  We love having "conversations" with private guides as it is such a great "learning" experience to best understand what we are seeing and why it is of importance/significance. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5d4f73e51e58c98a7b27f7b235dab56c.jpeg

Keep the great questions coming.  Happy to share more.  Plus, others with Istanbul experiences, don't be shy.  Love to gain more updates and insights.  

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 31,879 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From my follow-up earlier today to Lale in Istanbul, her skilled husband provided a nice summary of important background and helpful updates.  Here are a few key aspects that he shared with me: 

* Old City is closed for city traffic.  Doing classical Old City tours, we simply use trams.

* Still hurts to say - last year, Hagia Sophia was converted to be a mosque.  Since it is not a museum anymore, our tour guiding licenses do not give us any privileges.  Lines are hopeless.  Upper floor is not open for visits anymore... most of the Byzantine mosaics are covered.  So, getting into Hagia Sophia today is just like getting into a second mosque!

* Restoration of Blue Mosque is nearly over... expected to be opened by the end of April.

* Restoration work at Basilica Cistern is over.  They did a wonderful job - worths a second visit.

* Due to long lasting pandemic years, that gorgeous ritual of Galata Mevlevihanesi (whirling derwish performance) is broken now... such a great loss for Istanbul.

* Restoration work at Galata Tower is over now.  More open space... they did a great job.

Have more to share.  But these items posted are very interesting. Some change there is good.  Others items not as positive and perfect compared to when we visited Istanbul in 2006. 

Their business is doing well and they are keeping very busy.  They have been spotlighted by Rick Steves and that has helped to attract folks to contact them.  

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,751 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Like 2

Appreciate the nice follow-up from super Med historic expert cruisemom42.  Must be that what was shared is accurate and up-to-date.  Her expertise in this region is excellent. 

From Lale's husband, Kagan, here are some more items of Istanbul information that might be helpful to share:  

* Covid:  is not an issue anymore.  However, to be on the safe side, we prefer to suggest hotels having Safe Tourism Certificate.   This is important especially for our guests staying at cave rooms of Cappadocia hotels.  

* Restoration work at Treasury Section of Topkapi Palace is not over yet.  Some of the unique items of the Treasury are displayed in different sections of the Palace.

* Chora Church was converted to be a mosque and is not open for visits due to restoration work.

* Istanbul has a new wonderful port.  It is not a port only but more like an open air shopping mall, with lots of restaurants, cafes and pubs.  The good thing is: it is a place where locals get social, too.  

FOR VISAS: * Same games are being played again...Cruise ship passengers spending the nights over on board the ships do not need Turkish Visa.
If your cruise starts from Istanbul or ends in Istanbul, then, you need a visa.
In other words; if you fly to Istanbul and board a ship, you need a visa.
If you fly to Istanbul and spend a few nights at a hotel, then board a ship, you need a visa.
If you arrive Istanbul on board a cruise ship and do city tours but spend the nights over on board the ship, you do not need a visa.

Appreciate this added background from a "top source" in Istanbul.  If any added, special questions, I can try to research and check more.  Hope this is all of benefit.  

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Here is another potentially key "tip" to consider before you travel to Istanbul or Turkey.   Rugs??  Are such "oriental carpets" of interest for your home?  There are lots of places to make such purchases and they can be shipped home.  

Below shows my wife and Lale at a shop where we purchased two different carpets now used and seen in our home every day.  Why did we buy two?  My wife and I could not agree in the showroom as to which color/shade would work best in guest suite.  

image.thumb.jpeg.87d61c2e8600b2fc879f11efc3faa380.jpeg

KEY INSIGHT?: Plan ahead and do some measurements for where you might be wanting such a carpet.  Also, bring along some color samples and/or cell phone pix's for the nearby colors, fabrics, etc.  The good news in these carpet sales site is that their selections and options are vast and wide-ranging.  If serious, you need to "be prepared" and have thought about what you really need and want.  From doing some carpet sales stops in going along the Turkish Coast, things can get very "pushy" and pressured.  At one stop, a guide we had been super excellent, but turned 180 degrees.  When at this carpet location, she got super saleslady-type in trying to push for people to buy, buy, buy!! 

We were at Punto of Istanbul for our carpets.  You can check out their interesting website at: http://www.puntocarpet.com

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:54 PM, michelle028 said:

Omg great tips Terry! Good to know about the VISA situation as well.   Your guide says the lines are hopeless for The Hague Sophia.  Are there certain times that its better than others?  We are in port from 10am to 11pm.

Appreciate your great follow-up question at this very popular Istanbul attraction.  Have sent a message to Karan asking as to the best alternative hours for there. Will keep you posted as to what I hear back.     

From the Washington Post and Bloomberg News four days ago, they had this headline: Why Erdogan Faces a Close Race in Turkey’s Election with these highlights: “Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who wields almost unbridled power in Turkey, is seeking another term in presidential and parliamentary elections on May 14. With the nation facing an economic crisis and struggling to recover from devastating earthquakes, polls suggest a tight race that could threaten his 20-year rule, the longest in Turkey’s history. The quakes left tens of thousands people dead and triggered criticism of the government’s response.”

For those planning travel in Turkey in the next few months, it is good to keep in mind these various issues now facing this major country.  Here is more background: "Erdogan has been seen as an increasingly authoritarian leader after effectively shifting Turkey to an executive presidency with sweeping powers in 2018. The election comes as the nation is contending with the worst cost-of-living crisis in two decades. Erdogan remains Turkey’s most popular politician, but his Justice and Development Party has lost support among the poor, who had been among its most stalwart backers. Though Turkey’s opposition parties rarely coordinate strategy, this time Erdogan faces a serious challenge from a six-party opposition bloc as well as from a separate, pro-Kurdish political group.  Turkey’s inflation rate slowed to 50.5% in April, having reached a 24-year peak of 85.5% in October. Pandemic disruptions and the war in Ukraine have fueled inflation in many nations, but Erdogan’s unconventional economic views have amplified the problem in Turkey."

It has been one hundred years since 1923 when the "modern Turkey" leader Kemal Ataturk became President and the nation was formed as a Republic.  Ataturk was their leader until he died in 1938. Part of this upcoming election is about . . . how much for the future is this nation  more "secular" . . . versus . . . Islamic-focused??  Does Turkey more align with the West versus more with Middle East leaders?  That is why this May election is being watched so very closely.  

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/04/07/why-erdogan-s-reelection-bid-in-turkey-isn-t-a-sure-bet/eb1953ee-d503-11ed-ac8b-cd7da05168e9_story.html

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 256,295 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1362155-solstice-livefirst-timer-reportspix’s-italycroatian-june-7-19/

On 4/8/2023 at 6:54 PM, michelle028 said:

Omg great tips Terry! Good to know about the VISA situation as well.   Your guide says the lines are hopeless for The Hague Sophia.  Are there certain times that it's better than others?   We are in port from 10am to 11pm.

Great that you are port till 11 pm. You will have more flexibility and options.  

From the very helpful Kagan Kosagan, here is more background: "Currently, between 7am to 9am, it is closed for visits due to cleaning process.  Other than that, during Ramadan period (ending on Apr 21st), Hagia Sophia is open for visits 24 hours. After Ramadan, info we have is that it will be closed at 10pm, yet, there is no official statement - If there is a recent one, I must have missed it.  Currently, the best time to visit is 6.30pm - and even this does not work as expected sometimes since we are not the only clever ones out there.  Doing classical Old City tours, Grand Bazaar was our last stop of the day since it closes at 7pm.   Nowadays, we do Grand Bazaar and then visit Hagia Sophia as the last stop of the day.   But then, many ships leave Istanbul at 5-6-7pm.   Repeating what I noted earlier, speaking as a tour guide who used to put Hagia Sophia to the center of his Old City explanations... some may not agree with following words... hurts to say but visiting Hagia Sophia nowadays is like visiting a second mosque.  For guests who prefer not to wait long in lines, Old City does offer many other things."

Good luck.  Let me know any other questions.  It is great to have a skilled Istanbul expert who can share updated information as conditions are always evolving and changing.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,693 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

On 1/29/2023 at 5:45 AM, TLCOhio said:

Agree that if we are going to be in an area for a longer period that the bank ATM's tend to give the best rates and are very accessible, etc.  Those airport exchange desks/booth tend to rip you off with bad exchange rates.

How about the ATM's located in the airport? We have a few days in Istanbul preceding our IST - Athens cruise on Viking in May.

Edited by ravinblue
needed further clarification

On 4/15/2023 at 12:31 PM, ravinblue said:

How about the ATM's located in the airport? We have a few days in Istanbul preceding our IST - Athens cruise on Viking in May.

Appreciate this very good follow-up question.  Have not been to the vastly new Istanbul airport.  It is supposed to be nice and very Twenty-First Century.  BUT, with all ATM's, whether at an airport, in city, etc., you need to check, be careful, etc., as to what added fees/costs might be charged/added, if it is with an established, regular bank, charging normal practices, etc.  Generally an ATM is going to be better, but look carefully to see if any added/surprise charges will tacked on, etc.    

From Kagan in Istanbul, I did receive yesterday this "Flash News": "Blue Mosque was under restoration for quite some years... will be fully opened for visits from April 22nd onwards."  Sound like good news!!  We really loved visiting the Blue Mosque and soaking up its great history, charm, character and architecture.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 242,771 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/