Istanbul: NY Times Rated Tops!

From the New York Times Travel Section this weekend, they have this headline: 52 Places to Go in 2023" with this sub-headline: "Travel’s rebound has revealed the depth of our drive to explore the world. Why do we travel? For food, culture, adventure, natural beauty? 

Istanbul is one their top world locations that this annual NY Times reporting puts in the spotlight.  Here are some of their highlights: “This October, the Turkish Republic celebrates its 100th anniversary, and to mark the occasion, Istanbul’s local government has invested millions in giving historic structures new life.  Among them: Feshane, a factory that manufactured the iconic Turkish hats and one of Istanbul’s first steel buildings, will become one of its largest art centers; west of the old city, a comprehensive restoration of the stone-and-brick Mevlanakapi city walls with their 22 towers dating back to the fifth century, will transform them into a four-and-a-half-mile walking path; and the Botter Apartment, one of Istanbul’s earliest Art Nouveau buildings.  There’s more. Art museums are planned for the former Yedikule gasworks and the Halic Shipyard, one of the world’s oldest still in operation. And most notably, the newly built Istanbul Modern museum, designed by the architect Renzo Piano, will open its doors along the Bosporus in Karakoy, showcasing the works of notable Turkish artists such as Fahrelnissa Zeid and Erol Akyavas.”

Super enjoyed Istanbul in June 2006 during a cruise trip that finished there.  Had two full days there with a private guide to help us explore and learn so much. Recently, travel there has been more limited due to Covid and other factors.  Should Istanbul be on my future list to go back and see what has changed, etc.?

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/travel/52-places-travel-2023.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,508 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• Like 4

Wow, the NYT seems to have been on a nice travel junket to Istanbul. I cannot get behind the pay wall to the article, but I would hope that some of this enthusiasm was counterbalanced by a discussion of the very serious concerns that archaeologists and UNESCO have expressed after Turkey has ignored all advice and convention and has turned both Haghia Sophia and the Chora church -- both of which had been museums for about 75 years per the reforms of Ataturk -- back into functioning mosques.

In the process there has been very little oversight or input into how to preserve the recognized treasures in these buildings, some of which are being covered over or boarded up as they don't accord with Muslim faith and practice. I have read that mosaics have been hidden or covered. UNESCO has requested detailed reports from Turkey on how these two monuments are being maintained and is extremely concerned about reports that they've received. Turkey, of course, is angrily defending its rights to do as it likes regarding these sites. It's unclear to me whether the requested reports have been tendered to UNESCO, but it is possible that we will hear something more about this in 2023.

It is very interesting to hear that Turkey is re-purposing other historical buildings into new venues, but again archaeologists are expressing their concerns about whether these transitions and renovations are being managed in an appropriate way.

I suggest reading some of the stories about these changes to be fully informed. I am NOT suggesting that Istanbul isn't a wonderful destination with much to see, but I think the rosy picture being painted here is a little disingenuous. 

https://www.artnews.com/art-news/news/unesco-called-to-save-the-hagia-sophia-by-greek-archaeologists-1234637362/

You may not think all of this matters overmuch, but Turkey, under Erdogan, is inching ever closing to Fundamentalism. Which, at its most extreme, has already caused irreparable harm to World Heritage sites such as attacks by ISIS on Palmyra, Ninevah, Nimrud and looted various museums where they destroyed artifacts or sold them. And the earlier destruction of the Buddha statues in Afghanistan by the Taliban.

Current status as of 2023 in Istanbul: 

In Haghia Sophia, the mosaics on the lower (main) floor are all visible EXCEPT for the Virgin and Child mosaic, which is covered at all times. If you enter during active services, other mosaics may be covered temporarily. The wonderful mosaics on the upper floor are said to be closed for restoration as of now. (I am skeptical but time will tell....)

Chora Church (now Chora Mosque) -- is currently closed for "restoration". Given that it is virtually covered with mosaics and frescoes, I do not see how it can be converted to use as a mosque without more or less permanently covering at least some of these. Again, time will tell. But at least for now it is not open to tourists at any rate.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would hope that some of this enthusiasm was counterbalanced by a discussion of the very serious concerns that archaeologists and UNESCO have expressed after Turkey has ignored all advice and convention and has turned both Haghia Sophia and the Chora church -- both of which had been museums for about 75 years per the reforms of Ataturk -- back into functioning mosques.

Super appreciate these great comments, insights and follow-up from the savvy cruisemom42.  Excellent, key questions and helpful link/background.  

Before our visit in 2006 to Haghia Sophia, I was aware as to how In 1935, the first Turkish President,, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, turned the building into a museum as a way to balance out the "debate" over how to use this former Greek Orthodox Christian and Islamic religious facility.  Tangled, unique history there.  And in other ways for Turkey under its current leadership.  Now, it is back to being a Mosque.

Will share some of my visuals soon from Istanbul.  Such great architecture and history there.  

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 49,756 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Ready for some Istanbul "eye candy"?  There is so much to see and enjoy there.  We were fortunate to have two full days with a private guide in Istanbul as we finished our sailing from Athens, exploring the Greek Islands and the Turkish Coast.  This was our first cruise and we super loved the experience.  

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 255,727 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here was our first view of Istanbul in June 2006 from our just-docking cruise ship as we smelled the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city.  YES, you could really sense how very special is this unique city with so much culture, charm and interest!  Istanbul has such a wide variety of history, culture, architecture, people, food, charm, etc.  It’s the total experience here that is so amazing.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.bd1101baadb259ca73040af6ea0fe414.jpeg 

Istanbul’s famed Blue Mosque or Sultan Ahmed Mosque.  It is popularly known as the Blue Mosque for the blue tiles adorning the walls of its interior.  It was built from 1609 to 1616.  It is still used as a mosque and is one of Istanbul's most popular tourist attraction.  The design is the culmination of two centuries of both Ottoman mosque and Byzantine church development. It incorporates some Byzantine elements of the neighboring Hagia Sophia with traditional Islamic architecture.  It is considered to be the last great mosque of the classical period. The architect aimed for overwhelming size, majesty and splendour. It has six minarets along with eight smaller domes and one main large dome.:

image.thumb.jpeg.13aa4e5ffbecf33cddbe58ab0355bc4d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.528cadc56d407c758c7c75d14a2ac5bf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f6c871835712fb5153484f6a56d2067d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.12104e7b819d1f431a390bd79b8ca2ad.jpeg

Remember the 1963 James Bond "To Russia with Love" film?  Here are the underground cisterns of Istanbul shown during a portion of this classic movie.:

image.thumb.jpeg.9ab48f62e45222d2a67c35fa6077147e.jpeg

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Thanks 1

Below is part two from Istanbul and its many scenic sights/experiences.  If you have some Istanbul visuals and/or fun background, please share here.  Don't be shy!  Am especially interested to hear from those who have recently been to Istanbul.  Given Covid and other "issues" in Turkey, Istanbul is now re-opening and gaining more cruise ship visits. 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 245,784 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hagia Sophia, the former patriarchal basilica, later Mosque, then a museum and now back as a Mosque in Istanbul.  It is a mix of both Christian and Islamic visuals on the inside. From its dedication in 360 until 1453, it served as the Greek Patriarchal cathedral of Constantinople, except between 1204 and 1261, when it was converted to a Roman Catholic cathedral under the Latin Empire. The building was a mosque from 1453 until 1931, when it was secularized.  Hagia Sophia is one of the greatest surviving examples of Byzantine architecture.  There is great artistic value in its decorated interior with mosaics and marble pillars and coverings. The temple itself was so richly and artistically decorated that Justinian proclaimed, "Solomon, I have outdone thee!"  In the final picture at the bottom, my wife and our guide were talking and sharing information about this historic site.:

DSC_0108.thumb.jpeg.e51b2b1253d0583d1358d1ce11ec8ee8.jpeg

DSC_0107.thumb.jpeg.d4c185b564474a7977d6f23854d352ee.jpeg

DSC_0109.thumb.jpeg.890ecfd2b14c1f906f3b25f27068bec3.jpeg

DSC_0110.thumb.jpeg.a928919e7d31963d14b304b6b0ce9915.jpeg

DSC_0113.thumb.jpeg.8d00343d89ca85fc70c62738c3816ad6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is part three for the visual highlights and options to consider for Istanbul.  More later.  As mentioned, if you are there for only one cruise-day stop, you will get frustrated as there is so much to explore and consider in Istanbul.  Research and plan ahead!!  Hopefully, you might have a private guide who can customize for your highest personal interests in this large, historic and diverse city.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 240,387 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

For visiting inside Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar, be prepared and check their website: www.grandbazaaristanbul.org.  It is one of the largest covered markets in the world with 60 streets and 5,000 shops, and attracts between 250,000 and 400,000 visitors daily. It is well known for its jewelry, hand-painted ceramics, carpets, embroideries, spices and antique shops. Many of the stalls in the bazaar are grouped by type of goods, with special areas for leather, gold jewelry and the like. The bazaar has been an important trading centre since 1461 and its labyrinthine vaults feature two bedestens (domed buildings), the first of which was constructed between 1455 and 1461 by the order of Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror. The bazaar was vastly enlarged in the 16th century, during the reign of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, and in 1894 underwent a major restoration following an earthquake.:

image.thumb.jpeg.738b334c137753c2f5dc4f056cb2097f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c3c124054165e07c3e946d3c7837de0.jpeg

Here is a custom item being made for our daughter-in-law being made at the Grand Bazaar from pink stones.:

image.thumb.jpeg.1587930760a83b5de467c1a7d19391fa.jpeg

On the right is my wife as we were in a shop having a ring customized for her.  Were we happy?:

image.thumb.jpeg.4797a0eae01fb44c759153e63d18660c.jpeg

At the Topkapi Palace, it was the official and primary residence in Istanbul of the Ottoman Sultans for approximately 400 years (1465-1856) of their 624-year reign. It was the setting for state occasions and royal entertainments. Below is just one of the many building within this large complex.  Plus, one of my visuals showing the Topkapi Dagger set with three large Colombian emeralds.  Look impressive?:

image.thumb.jpeg.173f96e2af4f48bfe17fb3294e70446b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7fa68e767b03f69ca80c504f607c76c3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hi Terry🙂 I am going to Istanbul with SS in April. Sailing out of Athens. Your pictures are always wonderful.  I am booking my tours through the cruise line......just easier for me. It will be my first time visiting Istanbul, although I have been to Turkey (Ephasus) before. 

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry🙂 I am going to Istanbul with SS in April. Sailing out of Athens. Your pictures are always wonderful.  I am booking my tours through the cruise line......just easier for me. It will be my first time visiting Istanbul, although I have been to Turkey (Ephasus) before. 

Great to learn, Lois, that you will be soon heading to Istanbul and other great locations.  Do carefully review ALL of the Silversea tour options and seek to maximize your efforts while in this historic city.  Istanbul is not just a "one-trick-pony" like in some Caribbean islands.  

The options and opportunities are so, so many in Istanbul.  Amazing architecture, history, culture and character.  

Appreciate Lois' kind comments on my pictures.  It's fun to share!!  Below is more about one option to see there in Istanbul.  It's the Dolmabahce Palace.  Not the highest, top priority in Istanbul if you only have a part of one day there to tour.  But, it is interesting to see how with this structure they picked up more of the European-style in building this one palace for the Sultan. 

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 99,785 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

In 1856, Sultan Abdul Mecid I moved his court to the newly-built Dolmabahce Palace, the first European-style palace in the city. Located on the European side of the Bosporus, it served as the main administrative center of the Ottoman Empire from 1856 to 1922. Fourteen tons of gold in the form of gold leaf were used to gild the ceilings. It is the largest palace in Turkey. The world's largest Bohemian crystal chandelier is in the center hall of the palace. A gift from Queen Victoria, it has 750 lamps and weighs 4.5 tons. Dolmabahce has the largest collection of Bohemian and Baccarat crystal chandeliers in the world and one of the great staircases has bannisters of Baccarat crystal. Second is the changing of the guard.:

image.thumb.jpeg.b7e19404edad2d4b57dd7060d2f07b83.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.250d07fd58975c98dfeb382befe0984d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b8a065e1659225e49fe3860139a1d3f3.jpeg

Is your home bathroom decorated in this manner?   The Sultan had a carved Alabaster bath with this example for one luxury area in the palace.:

image.thumb.jpeg.691e367d448ee487edbcc6f3318d2d12.jpeg

Below is a portion of the large entertainment room at this palace.  Fairly lavish with super tall ceilings?  Second is a small portion of the outdoor gardens and art work, etc.  Could you be comfortable here?:

image.thumb.jpeg.1b875c5b21b17b4049b29bfc3c97fc6b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1079e50b0b7bebb737ce45d077837b82.jpeg

• Thanks 1

From US News, they had this headline: Best Times To Visit Istanbul with these highlights: “The best times to visit Istanbul are from March to May and between September and November. That's when crowds at the city's attractions are manageable, room rates are average and daytime temperatures generally sit in the 60s and 70s. Peak season – from June to August – sees temps soar into the low 60s to low 80s. December through February, meanwhile, are the cheapest months to visit, but Istanbul's rainy, snowy and chilly conditions (temps are in the high 30s to high 50s) mean you'll have to don cold weather attire and lug an umbrella during your stay.”

We visited there in June 2006 and the weather worked fine.  

Full story at:

https://travel.usnews.com/Istanbul_Turkey/When_To_Visit/

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 70,784 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

From Yahoo News earlier this month, they had this headline: 23 of the best places to travel to around the world in 2023 with these highlights:In 2023 Turkey celebrates a major milestone.  I'm a fan of the heavily-spiced vegetarian food, and as a shopper, I've spent hours browsing the markets and shops.  Turkey saw record tourism in 2022, and 2023 is gearing up to be even bigger as the country will celebrate its 100th anniversary of becoming a republic.  Istanbul is also the only city to span two continents, and the monthlong Istanbul Tulip Festival will take place in April across parks, events, and exhibitions. Just in time for the country's centennial, Istanbul's Maiden Tower — once a watchtower on a tiny Bosphorous island on the Asian side — is undergoing renovation and conversion as a museum with a 2023 opening.

Full story at:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/23-best-places-travel-around-110100429.html

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,573 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

14 minutes ago, GreenFamily said:

Why does the Dolmabahçe Palace look so European? It would be interesting to tour both Dolmabahçe and Topkapi Palaces in one day. Is that possible, considering the traffic? 

Dolmabahce Palace was built in an attempt to rival Western-style palaces like Versailles. It is very ornate and very Western, so I guess the goal was met. I have to say it didn't do much for me compared with other other sites available in the city. But then I like the older history of the place....

Traffic is indeed horrendous. If you have a long day in port it might be possible. They are in opposite directions from the cruise port, but Dolmabahce is much closer. I would suggest doing Topkapi first, then trying to get to Dolmabahce, as at the end of the day you'll be very close to the port with no worries about the traffic over Galata bridge.

Some Istanbul favorites of mine (aside from my #1, Haghia Sophia):

• Great Palace Mosaics Museum (only place to see remnants of the oldest Byzantine imperial palace)
  • Following (and at times walking on) the ancient Byzantine walls surrounding the city
  • Turkish and Islamic Arts museum (across from the Blue Mosque)
  • Archaeological Museum -- well worth a visit; they have some of the top finds from across Turkey including a wonderful sarcophagus with scenes from the life of Alexander the Great, and in a separate pavilion some gorgeous fired tiles from the Ishtar gate:  

image.png.a80cfaf6ecce1781fbb0d9ee787fa9e8.png

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, GreenFamily said:

Why does the Dolmabahçe Palace look so European? It would be interesting to tour both Dolmabahçe and Topkapi Palaces in one day. Is that possible, considering the traffic? 

Very much appreciate the great details, interesting visual and follow-up by super expert cruisemom42.  Excellent as always!!  

When we visited in June 2006, we had two full days and evening there in Istanbul as it was the finishing point of our cruise from Athens.   Plus, having a very good private guide, we fortunately had the time and flexibility to see BOTH the old and newer.  The major "down-side" with Istanbul is that the options and potential are many, many, many!!  You need to research, plan and prepare ahead to have your priorities and logistics managed properly to maximize the experience in Istanbul.  

Below are a few more of my Istanbul visual from my digital travel files. 

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 50,034 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Here are two different night views of Istanbul's two famed Mosques from one of our rooftop dining place. First is the Hagia Sophia, the former patriarchal basilica, later mosque, then a museum in Istanbul, but now back to being a mosque.  Second is the Blue Mosque or Sultan Ahmed Mosque.  It is popularly known as the Blue Mosque for the blue tiles adorning the walls of its interior.  It was built from 1609 to 1616.  It is still used as a mosque and is one of Istanbul's most popular tourist attraction:

image.thumb.jpeg.13ada3cd56858c85f8ccc63e1acb8980.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5529baf27536bad73d6c0be0158fc9c6.jpeg

Outside and inside the Spice Market in Istanbul.  This fascinating area is much smaller and easier to see and experience than the massive Grand Bazaar.  The structure was designed by a chief court architect and completed in 1660. The Spice Bazaar is an “L”-shaped building, consisting of 88 vaulted rooms. Monumental gateways are at the ends of both halls. The main entrance is in the southwest corner, facing the Yeni Mosque.:

image.thumb.jpeg.c79cf65fd6bbf67981e1e6efa99c56c2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2bd849ed0022b14965901555d949ce3e.jpeg

Here is a view of the New Mosque or Yeni that was completed between 1660 and 1665. It is situated overlooking the Golden Horn, a part of the primary inlet of the Bosphorus.  In the foreground is the Spice Market with its distinctive striped design/style.:

image.thumb.jpeg.02d3663ad0596358f764425aaf6e2e62.jpeg

From where we dined outdoors at lunch during our private tour, here was the scenic view of two locals enjoying conversation and a view out to the Golden Horn, plus showing the nearby Galata Bridge. Farther in the background is 15th of July Martyrs Bridge that is connecting Europe & Asia.  That long suspension bridge was completed in 1973.:

image.thumb.jpeg.69cc834e089c1eac89454112d726943c.jpeg

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Dolmabahce Palace was built in an attempt to rival Western-style palaces like Versailles. It is very ornate and very Western, so I guess the goal was met. I have to say it didn't do much for me compared with other other sites available in the city. But then I like the older history of the place....

Traffic is indeed horrendous. If you have a long day in port it might be possible. They are in opposite directions from the cruise port, but Dolmabahce is much closer. I would suggest doing Topkapi first, then trying to get to Dolmabahce, as at the end of the day you'll be very close to the port with no worries about the traffic over Galata bridge.

Some Istanbul favorites of mine (aside from my #1, Haghia Sophia):

• Great Palace Mosaics Museum (only place to see remnants of the oldest Byzantine imperial palace)
  • Following (and at times walking on) the ancient Byzantine walls surrounding the city
  • Turkish and Islamic Arts museum (across from the Blue Mosque)
  • Archaeological Museum -- well worth a visit; they have some of the top finds from across Turkey including a wonderful sarcophagus with scenes from the life of Alexander the Great, and in a separate pavilion some gorgeous fired tiles from the Ishtar gate:  

image.png.a80cfaf6ecce1781fbb0d9ee787fa9e8.png

That is gorgeous! 

Like Istanbul "eye-candy"?  There is lots of great history, culture, architecture and character here in this famed Turkey city.  Agree?

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

Here is the view for one of the many Istanbul outdoor dining places in the historic area.  This is Albura in the heart of Akbiyik Caddesi, a mostly-pedestrian street in Sultanahmet's prime boutique hotel, restaurant and cafe district.:

image.thumb.jpeg.6d6918a59cd9ebbe29ff4828b8f76642.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.82caa2393a70e75159ee00e9ac47474a.jpeg

One of the dining delights that I super enjoyed while having dinner in Istanbul at a scenic location.  Look good?:

image.thumb.jpeg.7fd3960864f178fa27d41e960775d126.jpeg

Pouring an Efes beer in Istanbul.:

image.thumb.jpeg.2bca36d7977f0cf2806c10366b39652b.jpeg

From from the water and then closer, here are two different views of the Galata Tower, a restored 14th-century tower and former prison overlooking the Bosphorus.  It was originally built as a watchtower at the highest point of the Walls of Galata and now used as a museum.: 

image.thumb.jpeg.ba5466d043babccfa65102906e984edc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.133aa78e1fb44b17f55afad1c99eb084.jpeg

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 1

Will we be able to get locale currency on board or should we go to an international bank in Boston or at JFK before we go this summer?

Also ships exclusion sent us a notice stating there are changes but the site doesn't show these? We will be there in Aug. Could it be the construction impeding travel through the city?

Thanks

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Will we be able to get locale currency on board or should we go to an international bank in Boston or at JFK before we go this summer?

Also ships exclusion sent us a notice stating there are changes but the site doesn't show these? We will be there in Aug. Could it be the construction impeding travel through the city?

Thanks

I would get your currency in Boston or JFK........I am not sure which cruise lines carry "local currency" on board.

I would contact your cruise line and see what they tell you. I know when I sail, the ship never has local currency. They have always told me the only currency on board is the US $. 

• Like 1

I would imagine an ATM in Istanbul would suffice to get local currency.  Our ATM card reimburses for fees of foreign banks and we have always found the best exchange rates using them.  Out of an abundance of caution, however, we always use a bank's ATM machine and only during their business hours (not some random machine attached to a grocery store, for example). Bank fees in our area to get foreign currency are high with a poor exchange rate and a long wait time if seeking the less popular currencies.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

I would get your currency in Boston or JFK........I am not sure which cruise lines carry "local currency" on board.

I would contact your cruise line and see what they tell you. I know when I sail, the ship never has local currency. They have always told me the only currency on board is the US $. 

We got local currency on board a Princess cruise just once exchange was high and paid to get British currency then to get US back at the end. Only did this because the trip prior we didn't have local and couldn't get drinks at a small corner store when our bus broke down on a Princess tour.

Generally just use credit card, but want candy at the Bazaar and wonder if that would be wise.

22 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

We got local currency on board a Princess cruise just once exchange was high and paid to get British currency then to get US back at the end.  Generally just use credit card, but want candy at the Bazaar and wonder if that would be wise.

Great additional follow-ups from Lois, lynncarol, GreenFamily and latebloomer56.  YES, local currency is always an interesting and challenging question.  For Turkey, they are a part of NATO and have other Europe connections.  But, they use their own lira as the currency, not the euro as done by Greece and most Europe countries.  

From our many different countries visited, it many cases, we have found that our credit card can help us avoid the need to buy different local currencies, especially if you are only doing one-day cruise visits.  But, if you seek to make little street food, local transit, small gift items, etc., purchases, the credit card will not work.  Choices??  There are trade-offs!! Personally, figuring out the right amount of local currency to get and dealing with extra, left-over bills and coins can be a "pain"!!  In Istanbul, we had a great guide for two days, it was easier for her to pick-up and do a few of the "small items" to lessen the hassles for us.  

Agree that if we are going to be in an area for a longer period that the bank ATM's tend to give the best rates and are very accessible, etc.  Those airport exchange desks/booth tend to rip you off with bad exchange rates.  Your local banks can in many cases get you in advance some foreign currency, but the rates/charges/fees have always been fairly high and not worth it.  

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

2 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Great additional follow-ups from Lois, lynncarol, GreenFamily and latebloomer56.  YES, local currency is always an interesting and challenging question.  For Turkey, they are a part of NATO and have other Europe connections.  But, they use their own lira as the currency, not the euro as done by Greece and most Europe countries.  

From our many different countries visited, it many cases, we have found that our credit card can help us avoid the need to buy different local currencies, especially if you are only doing one-day cruise visits.  But, if you seek to make little street food, local transit, small gift items, etc., purchases, the credit card will not work.  Choices??  There are trade-offs!! Personally, figuring out the right amount of local currency to get and dealing with extra, left-over bills and coins can be a "pain"!!  In Istanbul, we had a great guide for two days, it was easier for her to pick-up and do a few of the "small items" to lessen the hassles for us.  

Agree that if we are going to be in an area for a longer period that the bank ATM's tend to give the best rates and are very accessible, etc.  Those airport exchange desks/booth tend to rip you off with bad exchange rates.  Your local banks can in many cases get you in advance some foreign currency, but the rates/charges/fees have always been fairly high and not worth it.  

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Thanks will research prices and currency for both Turkey and Greece for small items. Tipping guides will also be an issue we generally run into. 

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Generally just use credit card, but want candy at the Bazaar and wonder if that would be wise.

There is an ATM machine right at the front gate of the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, if that is where you are planning to buy candy. 

I've also used an ATM just a few blocks from the port (between the port and the tram line, which I used to get around). However, with the new port I'd be surprised if there wasn't one or more machines in that facility as well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks will research prices and currency for both Turkey and Greece for small items. Tipping guides will also be an issue we generally run into. 

Good luck with your research!  We have found that some guides are happy and/or flexible to take U.S. currency.  Ask the guide in advance as to their preferences, including, also, for potentially taking credit cards.   

Below are some additional Istanbul visuals.  This includes for a sailing up the Bosphorus and going under the famed bridge known officially as the 15 July Martyrs Bridge.  It is now one of the three suspension bridges spanning the Bosphorus Straits connecting Europe and Asia.  This suspension bridge is 5,118 feet.  Upon its completion in 1973, the Bosphorus Bridge had the fourth-longest suspension bridge span in the world, and the longest outside the United States.  Along this sailing route, we saw old military ruins, new and old homes, etc.  Very interesting and refreshing on a nice, sunny day!!  See visuals below.  

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

In sailing up the Bosphorus, this bridge dominates as it connects Europe and Asia.  Here are a variety of views we experienced.:

image.thumb.jpeg.56e47d7a9a115739ea27076d27a4843d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9257c5f49901c93bc4a777538a1ecdd2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4fd81dde6fd62eae3c7ffbbfe79500db.jpeg

Here is a sample for a busy Istanbul shopping street.:

image.thumb.jpeg.2816874ae56826c674e2166f8c5cc3ff.jpeg

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There is an ATM machine right at the front gate of the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, if that is where you are planning to buy candy.   I've also used an ATM just a few blocks from the port (between the port and the tram line, which I used to get around). However, with the new port I'd be surprised if there wasn't one or more machines in that facility as well.

Appreciate this nice additional follow-up from cruisemom42 for ATM's in Istanbul, etc.  Wonderful sharing!  

In doing a cruise involving Istanbul, one key sailing experience involves the Dardanelles.  Also known as the Strait of Gallipoli, this is a is a narrow, natural and significant waterway  forming the continental boundary between Asia and Europe.  Highly used for for international navigation and shipping, the Dardanelles connects the Aegean and Mediterranean Seas with the Black Sea, Russia, Ukraine, etc.  Huge strategic and military importance along this routing.  

Per Wikipedia, the strait is 38 miles long and only three-quarters to 3.75 miles wide, averaging 180 feet deep.  Its control has been an objective of a hostilities in modern history.  The most notably contest involved the attack of the Allies on the Dardanelles during the 1915 Battle of Gallipoli during World War I.

Be alert and observing in sailing up and/down the Dardanelles!!  Much interesting along this route.  

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 255,883 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For sailing along the Dardanelles, there will be a variety of interesting sights, ships, history, etc.:

image.thumb.jpeg.7229a3fc174f3c963e622f3da649b0f5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0eeb6e78768d2d158204f0d3ae602c2d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cf4fb396f2d803ee85deac987d56c3ce.jpeg

Here is more from Topkapi Palace, the official and primary residence in Istanbul of the Ottoman Sultans for approximately 400 years. At the height of its existence as a royal residence, the palace was home to as many as 4,000 people.  After moving to the new Dolmbahce Palace in 1856, the imperial treasury, the library, mosque and mint remained at this historic location.  Below are visitors exiting a horse-drawn carriage in order to get ready to enter the main arch for these sprawling Palace grounds.  Second is a closer look at the design derails for this gate.  Third is a view of main city from this location inside the walls where the Sultans lived.:

image.thumb.jpeg.a1aea4ed262cfef068522bc98a9b6537.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a1c3c48f479e908ff35e59a97a8c6bb9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d161ee1512313b9bddafa5bc6a967625.jpeg

• Like 1

From the London/UK Sunday Times this morning, they had this headline: The world’s best new museums" with this sub-headline: "It’s boom time for galleries and education centres, many of them designed by the world’s leading architects.

Here are highlights for one location spotlighted:Istanbul Modern, Turkey: Since it opened in 2004 as Turkey’s first museum of modern and contemporary art, Istanbul Modern has been an important focus for the country’s art scene and a key venue for the Istanbul Biennial. In 2018, its collections of modern and contemporary art, photography, design, architecture and new media were moved to temporary premises, while the converted warehouse in Karakoy, at the confluence of the Bosphorus and the Golden Horn, made way for a 15,000 sq m building by Renzo Piano. The new museum, projected to open this spring, will have a transparent ground-floor level linking Tophane Park in the north to the Bosphorus in the south and a metal façade above to reflect the light on the water and foliage in the park. Part of the Galataport revitalisation of a mile-long stretch of waterfront that also includes a cruise ship terminal, it has been conceived as a social destination as well as a cultural one, with a bookshop, outdoor café, sculpture garden and waterfront restaurant."

This museum's website is: 
istanbulmodern.org

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/best-new-museums-new-york-istanbul-sydney-hotels-gxmpmmcc8

Not sure that modern and contemporary art would be my highest priority with limited time in Istanbul, but thought I would share this background here as an options to consider.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 245,913 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

• Thanks 1