Istanbul: NY Times Rated Tops!

4 hours ago, beesgma said:

Thanks.  I have them on my list to contact.  Was your tour a private or small group tour?

Private, two-day tour.  Customized to our interests.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Have some new updates and background fresh from Istanbul.  This includes: 

Topkapi Palace:  Treasury Section now is open. This is No:1 highlight of the palace.
Esvab Chamber of Topkapi Palace is open for visits... this is the exhibition of ceremonial Sultan costumes.

City is about to finish the new tram station by Port of Istanbul

There is a new tram line along the coastal route of Golden Horn, starting from Galata Bridge (Spice Market), stretching all the way to Pierre Loti Hill - with an additional funicular ride up to the hill.   Before this line was opened, we were suggesting use of a private van for our guests planning to visit Balat (Old Jewish quarter) and Pierre Loti Hill. Now, we simply use trams.

Note about Pierre Loti - pseudonym: Louis Marie Julien Viaud (1850 to 1923),
witnessing fall of Ottoman Empire and author of two books: Constantinople and Aziyade, maybe more known with his book; Aziyade since this is a love story between him as a Frenchman and an Ottoman girl... for happy-end lovers, this is not that book.

This is from Kagan in Istanbul who shared so much excellent, helpful info earlier.  He noted: "More to come as Istanbul evolves."  Looking forward to learning and sharing more.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 243,890 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• 4 months later...

Terry,  Many thanks for this wonderful thread!  So appreciate all the information from you and the others on Istanbul.  Will be stopping there in November and this thread has gotten me excited again after reading and worrying about the terrible tragedy in Israel.

I have just been in Istanbul for an overnight on my current cruise. I found it very crowded, even in mid-October, compared with past visits. The lines on Friday for attractions in Sultanahmet area (Haghia Sofya, Blue Mosque) were in the hundreds.  Bring your patience!

I have just read through this entire fascinating thread since we will have 2 days in Istanbul next week. We are sailing on Sirena from Istanbul on Oct. 24. We are spending 5 days in Athens before flying to Istanbul. We have the afternoon of Oct. 23, and the morning of Oct. 24 to explore before we board the ship around 3:00pm. I am happy to say we have booked the same tour guide, Kagen and company, for our private guide. We will have another guide, not Kagen or his wife, but I am sure the guide will be wonderful. We plan a half day from 2:30 -7:30 on Monday and 8:30am - 1:30pm on Tuesday.

We have a loose itinerary but want to hit the main sites with the help of the guide. Any other tips since you used the same service would be  appreciated. We need to find a place for dinner at the end of our afternoon tour and a place for lunch on the half day tour on the 24th. Did you stop for any meals during your private tour and how did you handle that? Did the guide join you or just point out a restaurant to you? We are stying in a hotel in the center of the Old City in the Sultanahmet area. Thank you!

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 12:35 PM, KBrote said:

I have just read through this entire fascinating thread since we will have 2 days in Istanbul next week. We are sailing on Sirena from Istanbul on Oct. 24. We are spending 5 days in Athens before flying to Istanbul. We have the afternoon of Oct. 23, and the morning of Oct. 24 to explore before we board the ship around 3:00pm. I am happy to say we have booked the same tour guide, Kagen and company, for our private guide. We will have another guide, not Kagen or his wife, but I am sure the guide will be wonderful. We plan a half day from 2:30 -7:30 on Monday and 8:30am - 1:30pm on Tuesday.

We have a loose itinerary but want to hit the main sites with the help of the guide. Any other tips since you used the same service would be  appreciated. We need to find a place for dinner at the end of our afternoon tour and a place for lunch on the half day tour on the 24th. Did you stop for any meals during your private tour and how did you handle that? Did the guide join you or just point out a restaurant to you? We are stying in a hotel in the center of the Old City in the Sultanahmet area. Thank you!

Just keep in mind that Topkapi is closed on Tuesdays.  DW and I have always enjoyed just stopping for lunch at an outdoor cafe (often in the area of the Covered Bazaar).  Remember to pay attention to your personal security as pick pockets/purse snatchers are always active.

Hank

On 10/14/2023 at 8:43 PM, mailbum said:

Terry,  Many thanks for this wonderful thread!  So appreciate all the information from you and the others on Istanbul.  Will be stopping there in November and this thread has gotten me excited again after reading and worrying about the terrible tragedy in Israel.

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups from cruisemom42, KBrote and Hank.  Great sharing.  Keep it coming!!  Don't be shy for sharing, questions, etc.  

From Kagan in Turkey, I recently received this added background and updating: "There is this new museum now:  Hagia Sophia History Museum; side by side with Turkish Islamic Museum, by Hippodrome Square.  Head set explanations are very clear, 25 Euros, per person, lasts about 30 minutes.  Gives good information about different stages of Hagia Sophia and also basic info about rise and fall of Byzantium.  Before it was converted to a mosque, Hagia Sophia was the center of our Old City explanations.  Now that it is a practicing mosque, time we are able to stay inside is limited.
Hagia Sophia History Museum fills in the gap, serving well for people who are interested to learn more about this gorgeous 1,500 years old structure."

YES, mailbum, there has been a "terrible tragedy in Israel".  Now, we are waiting to see how this dangerous situation finishes and if the cruise cancellations spread wider in the Middle East, including as to affecting stops and tourism in Turkey.  

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 108,238 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Yes, sadly, lots of questions and uncertainty in the Middle East.  Not certain what happens next, how long things are bad and how widely, if and if, things spread.  Including affecting Turkey??

From the Reuters newswire this morning, they had this headline: Travelers put off holiday trips to Middle East as Israel-Hamas war rages with these highlights: “Travelers are canceling or postponing planned vacations to the Middle East and North Africa due to fears of the Israel-Hamas conflict worsening, and as touring companies have also altered itineraries and canceled flights.  Travel operators say the war is affecting demand for travel to nearby nations including Egypt, Jordan and Turkey.  'We are seeing clients cancel cruises like an Egypt Nile river cruise as far out as December 2024 due to concerns with the war,' said Todd Elliott, CEO of Orlando, Florida-based Cruise Vacation Outlet, a travel agency.

From one booking platform cited in this news report, they have "seen a 70% decline in new bookings for countries in the region. Over 40% of trips to Egypt in November and December have already been canceled on the platform.  Cancellation rates in Turkey and Cyprus have doubled for November and December."

Also cited:  " 'While the conflict in Israel is very geographically limited so far, we suspect some cruise bookers are hesitant to book a European visit, even to the western Mediterranean,' said Truist analyst Patrick Scholes."

Full story at:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/travelers-put-off-holiday-trips-middle-east-israel-hamas-war-rages-2023-11-06/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 22,183 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• 4 weeks later...

From Travel+Leisure magazine late last month, they had this headline: 50 Best Places to Travel in 2024" with this portion of their sub-headline:  "Where to go for big city thrills.

Here are some of their reporting highlights as to why a high ranking for Istanbul: “Turkey’s style capital is seeing a resurgence of life along the Bosphorus, thanks in part to the Galataport, the world’s first underground cruise ship terminal with a pedestrian promenade and the Renzo Piano–designed Istanbul Museum of Modern Art just above. Don’t miss The Basilica Cistern, open again after a five-year closure, and now hosting contemporary art exhibits amid the ancient columns."

Full story at:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/best-places-to-go-2024-8385979

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 249,559 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

• 3 weeks later...

From the London/UK Telegraph two days ago, they had this headline: The 50 winners and losers of travel in 2023 with these highlights for Turkey: “Despite the devastation of a 7.8 magnitude earthquake in February, the appetite for summer holidays in Turkey remained high. The country saw a 70 per cent rise in visitors compared with pre-pandemic figures, and is set to hit 50 million arrivals in 2023 – meaning it would overtake France as Europe’s second most popular holiday destination, after Spain.”

Being popular is good news.  Right?  Positive for Istanbul and Turkey!!

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/winners-losers-travel-holidays/

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 247,292 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

I think there is some disagreement between writers and the traveling public.  The "improvements" at the port in Istanbul are not universally applauded by many cruisers (including moi).  And I don't think the NY Times has published why several cruise lines (i.e. Seabourn, Oceania, etc) have dropped Istanbul off some (or all) of their 2024 itineraries.  We actually have two booked cruises (for the Spring and Summer of 2024) that both cancelled all their port stops (including embarkation) in Turkey.

That being said, DW and I have been to Turkey on quite a few trips (both land and sea) and it ranks among our favorite countries to visit.

Hank

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think there is some disagreement between writers and the traveling public.  The "improvements" at the port in Istanbul are not universally applauded by many cruisers (including moi).  And I don't think the NY Times has published why several cruise lines (i.e. Seabourn, Oceania, etc) have dropped Istanbul off some (or all) of their 2024 itineraries.  We actually have two booked cruises (for the Spring and Summer of 2024) that both cancelled all their port stops (including embarkation) in Turkey.  That being said, DW and I have been to Turkey on quite a few trips (both land and sea) and it ranks among our favorite countries to visit.  Hank

Appreciate this great follow-up from the always savvy Hank.  Yes, lots is very fluid for various reasons in the Middle East and in this part of the Eastern Med.  Turkey and Istanbul are hoping that they are not caught up in a widening conflict in the Middle East.  We will all be watching with interest. 

17 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate this great follow-up from the always savvy Hank.  Yes, lots is very fluid for various reasons in the Middle East and in this part of the Eastern Med.  Turkey and Istanbul are hoping that they are not caught up in a widening conflict in the Middle East.  We will all be watching with interest. 

The complaint, oft voiced by savvy cruisers who tend to do their own thing, is that when the authorities redesigned the cruise port area, they closed an entrance that gave relatively easy access to the street (outside the port) and the closest tram station.  That train line is the primary means used by many cruisers to get to and from the downtown, Golden Horn area.  The new layout leaves some cruisers (depending on the actual docking position) with a very long hike to simply get out of the port and to the tram line.  

As to the many cruise ship cancelations (to Istanbul and even other parts of Turkey) the cruise lines have remained quiet as to the reasoning.  While many assume it is because of the war in Gaza, the actual geography does not seem to support that idea.  Some think it might just be a political calculation, but that also has not been confirmed.  DW and I have actually discussed the possiblity of stopping in Istanbul (for a few days) either pre or post cruise which will now embark/debark in Dubrovnik.  Many may not be aware that if you book air through Turkish Airlines, you can get 1-2 free nights at an Istanbul hotel (5* for those who book Business Class).  Free stopovers (long an option with Turkish Air, Aer Lingus, and others) have long been a tool used by we independent travelers to extend trips to other countries.  And by the way, Turkish Air does have really excellent business class on their long flights.  

Hank

On 12/24/2023 at 11:20 AM, Hlitner said:

I think there is some disagreement between writers and the traveling public.  The "improvements" at the port in Istanbul are not universally applauded by many cruisers (including moi).  And I don't think the NY Times has published why several cruise lines (i.e. Seabourn, Oceania, etc) have dropped Istanbul off some (or all) of their 2024 itineraries.  We actually have two booked cruises (for the Spring and Summer of 2024) that both cancelled all their port stops (including embarkation) in Turkey.

That being said, DW and I have been to Turkey on quite a few trips (both land and sea) and it ranks among our favorite countries to visit.

Hank

Never mind, I just saw your explanation above.

Can you say more about why you don't l7ke Galataport? And why do you think some lines have dropped Istanbul?

Edited by melusina
requested info is in another comment.

46 minutes ago, melusina said:

Never mind, I just saw your explanation above.

Can you say more about why you don't l7ke Galataport? And why do you think some lines have dropped Istanbul?

I can only speculate as to why several lines (so far) have dropped Istanbul (and some other ports in Turkey) from 2024 itineraries.  As to Galataport, as an independent traveler we do not appreciate to the longer distance to get from the ships to the street (and the nearest tram stop).  When the port was redesigned, the authorities could have provided pedestrian access closer to the Galata Bridge.  Minor stuff for cruisers that grab taxis or take cruise line excursions, but an added "pain" to those of us who choose to walk or take the tram over to the Golden Horn.

That being said, DW and I really do enjoy visiting Turkey.  It is a fascinating country with much to offer visitors.

Hank

I will be staying in Istanbul early November 3-4 days prior to RSSC cruise. I keep increasing days with all the new places I want to see. This is my first visit, and has been on my bucket list for several years.
 Thank you everyone for your tour contacts,  but has anyone used Viator? I am looking at longer one day overview tour on Sunday or Monday; Bosporus cruise one afternoon, and may have one more afternoon for exploring, depending on my jet lag….The Ship is in port overnight, so planning to do the Europe/Asia half day tour on 2nd day. Day one on ship will be getting settled in and maybe checking out Galataport which seems to have a lot to do. 
any suggestions will be appreciated!

• 3 months later...
On 12/30/2023 at 3:14 PM, CardowMD said:

I will be staying in Istanbul early November 3-4 days prior to RSSC cruise. I keep increasing days with all the new places I want to see. This is my first visit, and has been on my bucket list for several years.   Thank you everyone for your tour contacts,  but has anyone used Viator? I am looking at longer one day overview tour on Sunday or Monday; Bosporus cruise one afternoon, and may have one more afternoon for exploring, depending on my jet lag….The Ship is in port overnight, so planning to do the Europe/Asia half day tour on 2nd day. Day one on ship will be getting settled in and maybe checking out Galataport which seems to have a lot to do. any suggestions will be appreciated!

Great comments and follow-ups above.  Super glad you are planning for added time in Istanbul prior to starting your cruise.  Lots to see, love and do in historic and charming Istanbul.  

From the Lonely Planet website late last month, they had this headline: 7 of the best neighborhoods in Istanbul with these highlights by writer Jennifer Hattam: “With its huge size and centuries of history, it would be impossible to see all of Istanbul in one trip – or perhaps even in one lifetime.  Still, its central neighborhoods are relatively compact, and each has its own distinct character. First-time visitors and those on a tight schedule will likely want to book a hotel in Sultanahmet, smack in the middle of Istanbul’s star attractions, while time spent in other districts gives insights into different aspects of local life in a city that contains multitudes.”

Many options and potentials are outlined in this profile.  After you get back later this year, follow-up here and let us know what you loved most about Istanbul, etc. Keep up the great researching and planning.  Smart being prepared for this amazing city and culture. 

Full story at:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/best-neighborhoods-in-istanbul?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=campaign_9486400&utm_usr=f541a9e649534cc2931bd57d58d8c2cac2bb8c5d298f722bad5b05cc8ad5ece2

India to Singaore 2024: Live/Blog with many visuals, including “Golden Triangle”, Japan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Malaysia:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2992045-live-terryohio-india-to-signapore-silver-moon-rising-pix’s/

• Like 1

Thank you Terry & all who have contributed great advice about Istanbul. 
We’re arriving 3 days prior to cruise in August & have arranged airport pick-up & 2day private guide through Viator, significantly less than hotel quoted. 
Has anyone used the Museum Pass? We’ll have a day in Ephesus, which is also covered.

Thanks! Linda

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Istanbul recently and it was quite busy.  Ticket prices are have gone up significantly and Hagia Sophia is no longer free as of January.  It's €25 and you can only view from top level, the lower is now off limits. Topkapi use to have separate prices depending what you want to see now its all included in 1 larger price.  You really don't need a guide for Istanbul, its easily walkable and easy to locate things.