Awful State of Ocean View Cafe for dinner

Arubamoose

4 hours ago, AnnaNicole said:

The bread is very good.   🙂

Actually, on our last X cruise in early January, the bread basket served before dinner in Blu was exactly the same each of the 10 nights. They did mention some unrecognizable flavorings on the breadsticks and very thin cracker-like bread (can't remember what it was called right now) but the other 2 offerings were the same & quite uninteresting each night.  Gone are the days when you looked forward to different and yummy bread choices each evening. 

Mind you, I love bread, but these were wasted calories with the corn, peas, beets and other similar "dips" the consistency & likely taste of bottled baby food.  🥴   

Edited by Islander500
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Goldenknight said:

You asked if you can use my postings in such an email . . .  of course.  This is a public forum,  I wouldn't post here if I didn't have the expectation my words might be shared. 🙂

Thank you so much!  I'll provide an update when I get a response!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mnocket said:

This is certainly disappointing to hear.  I've been looking at O and from reading their forum I had the impression that while there were some cutbacks, they were not close to the extent of those at X.  I'd been hoping this was true.

Thank you for your post.

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

Isn't that the problem in a nutshell?  I don't know what you paid, but the average Celebrity fare per night is about $200 per person.  Take out the hotel cost, fuel, entertainment, port charges, etc. and the amount of money that you paid for your three meals a day is in Outback territory, if not less. I get that Specialty restaurants costs you more, but a good steak in Ruth's Chris is $60, plus sides, salad, dessert, tip and tax. Nowhere near what you paid on Celebrity.   Bottom line - you didn't pay for quality,  even if Celebrity tried to sell you the illusion that you did. Of course, for those paying $1000 or more per person per night on Celebrity the equation is different.   But those cruisers already know that and they aren't on Celebrity for the food. 

With respect, I would dispute your “average fare per night is $200.” Fuzzy math. Please identify your source.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, natshala said:

With respect, I would dispute your “average fare per night is $200.” Fuzzy math. Please identify your source.

Cruise Critic rules prohibit me from naming the travel agency website that lists cruises by price per night per person by cabin category. I went with a balcony cabin in the Caribbean for a 7 night cruise.  Sure, Europe will be more, inside will be far less. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, natshala said:

It's really not hard to find $200 pp/day rates on Celebrity cruises if you're booking an Inside or Oceanview cabin at the Cruise Only fare rate. 

image.thumb.png.9cc0e614013a6b1290c0f5dfc6fbec2e.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goldenknight said:

Now, my opinion:  we live in Las Vegas.  Buffets at our doorstep, many of which did not reopen post-pandemic.  I asked the G.M. of M Resort here (once had an excellent buffet) why he chose to not reopen the popular M buffet.  His excuse:  too much food waste/food costs. It wasn't about that at all, it seems, based on the numerous buffets all over Vegas that did reopen. The queue to go to the Wednesday night lobster buffet at the Palms is typically a three hour wait.  Prices have risen astronomically here for buffets ;   Wynn dinner buffet averages $80 per person.  Queues to go are up to two hours most nights. Wicked Spoon Buffet at the Cosmopolitan has always had individually plated "small plates" of most of their food choices. . .  to minimize guests scooping huge quantities of food onto their plates.

It's just my opinion, FWIW, but this isn't about food waste/food costs.  If it was, the bean counters at Wynn, Cosmo, and so on would never have reopened their buffets and funneled their guests into the equivalent of the MDR (coffee shop, steakhouse, etc)

And, just like Celebrity, Wynn, Cosmo and all the others have shareholders to whom they are accountable.  Somehow, those buffets reopened successfully.

I mean .....I am speechless. 

1 hour ago, Goldenknight said:

So people here are complaining about their own personal food costs (not to mention fuel costs) rising dramatically over the last several months but are unable to connect the dots.   Simply amazing. 

Also - 

Cruise ship fares tend to be a loss leader - especially at the lower categories.  They want you on the boat to spend your money.  Everyone seems to very impressed with themselves for spending  $3000.  Repeatedly calling X's offices - complaining and 'really showing them.'  How embarrassing.

Edited by stringbean10
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

So people here are complaining about their own personal food costs (not to mention fuel costs) rising dramatically over the last several months but are unable to connect the dots.   Simply amazing. 

Also - 

Cruise ship fares tend to be a loss leader - especially at the lower categories.  They want you on the boat to spend your money.  Everyone seems to very impressed with themselves for spending  $3000.  Repeatedly calling X's offices - complaining and 'really showing them.'  How embarrassing.

To be fair...Celebrity cruise fares are up substantially.    The increase in cruise fare should account for the increase in food costs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stringbean10 said:

On average, a passenger will spend $1,060 ($151/day) on a ticket and $650 ($92/day) on onboard purchases. After subtracting overhead costs, a ship will make out with roughly $291 in net profit per passenger, per cruise.

That is not how profit is calculated.   LOL

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, shopping is fun said:

Has anyone attempted to cancel beyond final payment and have Celebrity waive the penalties? Seems like we purchased a product that is no longer offered. These OVC changes, coupled with no longer being able to get the basic soda package, are quite disturbing for those of us who prefer casual food and drink options!  

We cruise on Apex in a week.  I have already spoken to Celebrity on the phone in response to an email... of course, I got the same courteous responses and the request that I let them know how it went when we return.  

You bet I'm going to respond... and if not acceptable, will definitely ask about waiver of NRD and other penalties for cancellations as we have 7 cruises booked after this next one.  Thanks for reminding me about the basic soda package.  We happen to have AI for our 2023 cruises because they were booked long ago.  Have moved to Cruise Only for 2024 and beyond, so would appreciate the Classic soda package for soda, water, etc.  Will report back from Apex.

• Thanks 3

I don’t know if it was on this board or a different one. A woman met with the chef to discuss him using too many red peppers in his meals. These passengers need to be reeled in, it’s out of control. 

Edited by Wakepatrol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

That is not how profit is calculated.   LOL

How do you calculate profit? Simplified it's revenue - expenses. It's more complicated in actual accounting systems, but that's the basic formula...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bonagrad said:

You seem to have a strange take on me, me, me.  Maybe you're flush with lots of cash lying around.  That's wonderful if you do, but for most that's not the case.  I'm sorry if you think giving a multi billion dollar corporation thousands of dollars to hold onto with nothing in return for months is me, me, me.

If X was smart, take all that money that they want up front, without offering anything for said money, for months, and invest it.  Say I'm an airline.  You book a first class ticket 6 months out.  Then you show up and they've now replaced all their planes with puddle jumpers, all economy to save money.  So now you have a 12 hour flight on a puddle jumper next to a screaming child at the same price as your first class ticket.  Are you going to say, well that's just shrew business and applaud them?  I'm going to guess no.  Reducing a OVC by 80% overnight is extreme whether you think it is or not.

2 hours ago, TopoChico said:

Why are you here then? 

I’ll save you guys the trouble, he/she/they won’t engage in debate, will either attack ya or deflect by attacking ya.  Best guess is they’re an investor 

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

Also - 

Do you feel better now, mocking us for being concerned about what we get for our money?  So glad you see $3K as a pittance!   It's embarrassing to stand up for ourselves as consumers?  I think it's embarrassing that you're ok with companies walking all over you!

• Like 6

Guest TopoChico
2 minutes ago, stringbean10 said:

Tell me this "I know many fancy people post" is not  embarrassing.  Cringe. 

As is with the entire thread, you entirely miss the point on every single comment made here. 

Instead of posting links no one will click on, and making comments solely to flame, why don’t you tell us all about your experiences. The cruises you’ve taken recently, details about your dining experiences, cabins you’ve stayed in, what you enjoy about cruising.  Because it seems to me, you don’t cruise at all and probably have never eaten in a 3* Michelin chef’s restaurant. 

6 minutes ago, markeb said:

How do you calculate profit? Simplified its revenue - expenses. It's more complicated in actual accounting systems, but that's the basic formula...

Yes but ALL expenses. The original poster mentioned overhead. What about the numerous fixed and variable costs that need to be included.

Also for those ships which are owned outright, you must also include depreciation which is a major expense -although it doesn’t require an actual cash outlay.

6 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Yes but ALL expenses. The original poster mentioned overhead. What about the numerous fixed and variable costs that need to be included.

Also for those ships which are owned outright, you must also include depreciation which is a major expense -although it doesn’t require an actual cash outlay.

Click his link. Their words, but yes, it’s all expenses. They mix operations and overhead, and call everything overhead, but it’s all expenses. 

Edited by markeb