I'll see GSC one day?

seeyakids

Well, three NCL cruises in the past year and a half and we are batting zero......3 misses due to weather, tides ,or captain's decision. NCL: please put in a dock like Coco Cay. I will not fall for this a fourth time. My money is back with RCL.

• Like 1

Just now, seeyakids said:

Well, three NCL cruises in the past year and a half and we are batting zero......3 misses due to weather, tides ,or captain's decision. NCL: please put in a dock like Coco Cay. I will not fall for this a fourth time. My money is back with RCL.

That stinks! I'm so sorry! You won't like my average. I've made it there two of two times. My GSC is Bermuda. We've only made it one of three times! Someday I'll get there. Probably on NCL, but maybe on a different line if Frankie boy keeps messing with the product.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve only had it on an itinerary once and we made it but the tender queuing process was such a mess a lot of people missed their early excursions, I had a ticket for the first tender after the vips and excursions but it was something like 1.30pm by the time I made it to the island. 
I remember hearing/reading that the reason there isn’t a pier is due to the depth of the water making it’s construction prohibitively expensive. 

6 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I’ve only had it on an itinerary once and we made it but the tender queuing process was such a mess a lot of people missed their early excursions, I had a ticket for the first tender after the vips and excursions but it was something like 1.30pm by the time I made it to the island. 
I remember hearing/reading that the reason there isn’t a pier is due to the depth of the water making it’s construction prohibitively expensive. 

Along with needing to destroy a lot of the beautiful reefs and marine life around the island. 

• Like 3

Just now, BirdTravels said:

Along with needing to destroy a lot of the beautiful reefs and marine life around the island. 

Oh I know all about that one, the local surfers had a lengthy argument with the local council here about a new pier for ferries that was planned. At the time there was a resident wild dolphin in the area of the pier work and they had to draw her away to another area before they did any blasting. Since then she moves up and down the coast an awful lot more rather than staying where she had originally settled.  I know a couple of the planners in the council and they were astonished at the amount of highly technical submissions they got from the international surfing community for both that project and Trump’s planned seawall in front of his golf course here. 

Until NCL build ships that aren't configured for tender operations as Royal has done with the Oasis class ships I don't see pier construction happening.  Keep in mind that while it takes more significant weather to cancel a port with a pier than one that tenders it's still quite possible to have it cancelled.

21 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

That stinks! I'm so sorry! You won't like my average. I've made it there two of two times. My GSC is Bermuda. We've only made it one of three times! Someday I'll get there. Probably on NCL, but maybe on a different line if Frankie boy keeps messing with the product.

My GSC is Ponta Delgada.  Hitting 0 of 3 times.  Once was due to a hurricane in November and then again a hurricane in December!  Third was bad weather in April.  Maybe someday!  I'll keep trying!

18 minutes ago, tsahall01 said:

My GSC is Ponta Delgada.  Hitting 0 of 3 times.  Once was due to a hurricane in November and then again a hurricane in December!  Third was bad weather in April.  Maybe someday!  I'll keep trying!

Oh my! Now I feel bad. At least I made it to Bermuda one time. I hope you get to Ponta Delgada sooner than later. Now I have to go look up where this place is! It's a big ole world out there.

I was on Pearl over the weekend and we missed GSC Bahamas due to very rough weather. Most passengers handled it well, but I was very disappointed at the few passengers I saw who were being downright nasty to random staff members because they missed their island day. The sea conditions were very bad, obviously something that NCL has no control over. RCL also skipped their Coco Cay day, you could see them taking a look at it and then sailing away on 1/14 as well.

2 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Is there a certain time a year that the odds are better you will be able to dock at GSC?  Is summer better than winter if there are no hurricanes around? 

Believe it or not but summers have a better shot at making it barring a hurricane or storm of course. The ocean waters are calmer in the summer.   In the winter, the waves pick up because of the wind picking up.  Look at those winter sailings from NYC to Bermuda.  They are brutal with rough seas compared to summer sailings.  Same philosophy applies.  For the most part, summer sailings have a better chance to make it than winter.  Our surf here in Miami is quite calm in the summer if no storms or hurricanes are around.  In the winter, the ocean can be rough.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 2

i know i'll probably get blasted for this post, but as far as i'm concerned, if you dont get to see GSC, you ain't missin nuthin.

i dont even bother to get off the ship. the very last thing i want to do is share a beach with a few 1000 of my closest friends, especially when i can have almost the entire ship to myself.

i think (imho) any of the private islands owned by the cruise lines are a waste of a port stop

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i know i'll probably get blasted for this post, but as far as i'm concerned, if you dont get to see GSC, you ain't missin nuthin.

i dont even bother to get off the ship. the very last thing i want to do is share a beach with a few 1000 of my closest friends, especially when i can have almost the entire ship to myself.

i think (imho) any of the private islands owned by the cruise lines are a waste of a port stop

Choices are good, Beach folks are happy, and you’re happier with an emptier ship, which if they didn’t stop, you wouldn’t get.

I enjoy a nice dip in the ocean. 

I choose to stay on board at times myself, but not if a free walk in the sand/surf is offered. I am usually back on board way before the crowds arrive back. 

I also like that my drink package works there. 

Edited by PTC DAWG