Caminito del Rey, Malaga - new train service.

VMax1700

For those wanting to try this exhilarating walk, a new train service from Malaga to El Choro/Caminito del Rey station is due to commence in March 2023.

Should be ideal for a Malaga port day!

https://www.surinenglish.com/malaga/guadalhorce-valley/malaga-caminito-del-rey-train-20230116111047-nt.html

https://www.surinenglish.com/malaga/guadalhorce-valley/caminito-del-rey-reopens-20221216092058-nt.html

https://www.caminitodelrey.info/en

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE:  The new service from Malaga to El Chorro station (for Caminito del Rey) commenced today  20th March.

Timings are not great for cruisers as it seems the best schedule would be

depart Malaga 09.43h arrive El Chorro 10.33h

depart El Chorro 15.12h arrive Malaga 15.52h

Check timings at https://www.renfe.com/es/en

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 4:16 PM, VMax1700 said:

UPDATE:  The new service from Malaga to El Chorro station (for Caminito del Rey) commenced today  20th March.

Timings are not great for cruisers as it seems the best schedule would be

depart Malaga 09.43h arrive El Chorro 10.33h

depart El Chorro 15.12h arrive Malaga 15.52h

Check timings at https://www.renfe.com/es/en

Thank you for this information.  We're scheduled to be in Malaga next month on May 10, from 8:00 to 18:00.  I had planned on renting a car because I wasn't sure about whether we'd go to Caminito Del Ray or drive to Gibraltar.  I haven't been to Malaga before, do you know if the train will be enough time to get back to the ship with an 18:00 departure?

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Thank you for this information.  We're scheduled to be in Malaga next month on May 10, from 8:00 to 18:00.  I had planned on renting a car because I wasn't sure about whether we'd go to Caminito Del Ray or drive to Gibraltar.  I haven't been to Malaga before, do you know if the train will be enough time to get back to the ship with an 18:00 departure?

Renfe has not posted the timings yet for May 2023, however checking the closest Wednesday to your date (April 26th is latest) there are direct trains to El Chorro at 09.43 from Malaga Maria Zambrano Cercanias Platforms (not the mainline platforms but the local train platforms).  Direct return would be at 15.12 from El Chorro returning to Malaga at 15.52, so plenty of time for a 6 pm sailaway.  You should pre book online to make sure that you can use the specific train.

A return journey is priced at $3.50 return (ida y vuelta). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

It is a few years since I drove to Gib from Malaga, but I would be loathe to do it with a ship sailing deadline at the back of my mind.  Crossing the border from Spain to Gib can be slow and the return trip can see Spanish customs working slowly and long traffic jams developing.  La Linea can be a traffic nightmare and the road back to Malaga will be busy at the 4pm ~ 5pm time slot as the Malaga evening return to work will be in full flow.  Just a personal viewpoint!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Renfe has not posted the timings yet for May 2023, however checking the closest Wednesday to your date (April 26th is latest) there are direct trains to El Chorro at 09.43 from Malaga Maria Zambrano Cercanias Platforms (not the mainline platforms but the local train platforms).  Direct return would be at 15.12 from El Chorro returning to Malaga at 15.52, so plenty of time for a 6 pm sailaway.  You should pre book online to make sure that you can use the specific train.

Screenshot2023-04-09181618.jpg.14f7b55bb7a24940b580ac55a3a5a62f.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Thank you for such a quick response, both on this and Gibraltar.  I am not too keen on driving to Gibraltar either, the more I read about it especially with customs.  I am sure someday we'll have a port visit there which would be much more convenient.

It sounds like the train to El Chorro is the best choice, unless we keep the rental car and drive there instead.  There are so many choices at the Malaga port that it is hard to decide.  I originally had my heart set on seeing flamenco dancers in Granada but those are only at night.  

Any tips on getting to Caminito Del Rey from Malaga on May 3rd?  It looks like general tickets are sold out and the earliest guided tickets are at 3:00pm.  Not sure that gives us enough time to walk it and get back to our ship by 5 pm in Malaga.  I would really like to do this tour, either join another group or go on our own.  I speak spanish so can act as translator for the group.  

Any helpful ideas would be welcome!  Especially from anyone familiar or local to the area.

Thanks,

Jana

janahoppe@earthlink.net